Axe
    Custom User Title

Bikes prohibited from Knoxville DFG since Friday?

According to post from Julien from BAAR "Beautiful, shame all of this was declared illegal to ride with a bike on Friday last week!" (from https://www.facebook.com/groups/BayA...group_activity)

I do not know details, have not heard around here about the process. That's some pretty large and good looking area.

Bikes prohibited from Knoxville DFG since Friday?-859247_10200614944559582_282471252_o.jpg

(P.S. DFG != BLM)
    Last edited by Axe; 02-12-2013 at 06:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Knoxville is BLM property. Nothing on BLM's site refers to trail closures -http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/ukiah/knoxville.html

There is some private property adjacent to the area. Could be it is now enforced to stay off

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fat.tires View Post
    Knoxville is BLM property. Nothing on BLM's site refers to trail closures -http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/ukiah/knoxville.html

There is some private property adjacent to the area. Could be it is now enforced to stay off
    That is about Department of Fish and Game area, if I understood correctly. DFG - Lands - Wildlife Areas - Bay Delta Region - Knoxville Wildlife Area 21,417 acres.
    Last edited by Axe; 02-12-2013 at 10:24 AM.

mtb'er
    The BLM is generally supportive of mt. biking. I'd call the local office if it's an area you play in.

BLM National Mountain Bicycling Strategic Action Plan

"The BLM recognizes that mountain bicycling is an acceptable use of the public lands wherever it is compatible with established resource management objectives." (1992)

mtbr member

Bikes prohibited from Knoxville DFG last Friday?

When did it become Knoxville Wildlife Area?
    I used to go there as a kid for 4wheeling with my Jeep. It was Knoxville Public Lands back then. There was several gun ranges where we could pop off a few rounds. Lots of 4x4 and motocross trails. My friends and I spent a lot of weekends there.
    Too bad you can't do any of that stuff there now. Typical of this state. Slowly eroding away our access to public lands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Proud lame eBiker
    Since when did the designation of that place get changed? Anyone have any links?

That Tuleyome group out of Woodland has been running rampant trying to make everything out in the Berryessa Hills area into "Wilderness" areas.

Lock it up, throw away the key, look through the fences at nature, mentality.

Brew you know as well as I do, that that are is soooooooo far off the beaten path no one goes to it. Not to mention it's a wasteland in the summer heat. Makes perfect sense it needs to be shut down to anyone other than on foot.
    < rolleyes >
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    Brew you know as well as I do, that that are is soooooooo far off the beaten path no one goes to it. Not to mention it's a wasteland in the summer heat. Makes perfect sense it needs to be shut down to anyone other than on foot.
    Everybody who went there for training (event that I linked on FB - they also swam in Berryessa at night for a couple miles, so you know they are all nuts) had been completely stoked - though it involved navigation on old overgrown roads.

I was planning on getting the map they prepared and going for a ride around next weekend, could not make it this weekend, and could not find a partner for the whole run. Not sure if it is actually patrolled by anybody.

mtbr member

Bikes prohibited from Knoxville DFG since Friday?

Ok so I spent a little time looking at the maps and a quick google search.
    Knoxville Wildlife Area is on the east side of Berryesa-Knoxville Rd.
    Knoxville Public Lands is on the west side of the road, and is still open. However, recreational and target shooting is no longer allowed at the ranges.
    http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/ukiah/knoxville.html

Here is the order closing Knoxville Public Lands to target and recreational shooting, dated 2008.
    http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/fed...g_closure.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Folks on this thread are talking about two different places. The BLM land is an off road vehicle area to the west of the McLaughlin mine site. It is open to bikes but is heavily motor ridden and is a really really ugly collection of eroded red dirt fire roads in heavy chaparral. The worst of this land is the areas where jack a**es shoot bottles, cans, boxes, television sets, and anything else and then leave the trash behind in multi-acre junk heaps.

The Fish and Game land is the old Napa Ranch bought with funds for public lands from proposition xx (can't remember the number). The land was acquired with voter approved funds and fish and game was chosen to manage the land. It is NOT and was NEVER intended to be a hunting preserve, but the DFG manages it as such. Vehicles are prohibited off the Eticaria road and "vehicles" under state law includes bicycles.

When it first became public, I camped there with my wife and hiked the beautiful lands including long valley and the trail to Zim Zim falls. However, the remarkable trashy mess the hunters left led to a camping ban. Now, it is hard to access this area from anywhere other than the west shore of Lake Beryessa.

I believe that the DFG head man for the knoxville area is determined to minimize the use of the land and keep that land firmly in the hunting area category. That is contrary to the plain language of the ballot initiative that bought the land. You can sue over this if you want, but I am not quite rich enough to buy justice the American way.

By the way, the DFG trucks drive all over this land and their tractors actually plow and farm corn in several small fields to enhance the hunting. DFG is a rather myopic agency and was a terrible choice to manage this land.

Uncle
    Reading that quote over and over. So refreshing.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Interesting, thanks for the clarification telemike. I've ridden dirt bikes years ago on the BLM land, pretty nasty stuff. How far northeast does the DFG land extend? On the map it looks pretty close to the old Red Elephant mine area.