Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: imjps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,430

    Bike Rodeo for Kids?

    My neighbor asked me to assist her with her 4H group. She wanted to know if there is something she can put together with Bikes.

    I thought I would throw this out to the Norcal Board and see if anyone has ever put on or been to a Bike Rodeo for kids.

    I'm looking for ideas as to what should be included.

    I'm thinking the age range of kids will be 11 - 12.

    Any idea's of what she can put together would be greatly appreciated.

    jps

  2. #2
    Sweat is just fat crying.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    9,118

    I was gonna...

    Quote Originally Posted by imjps
    My neighbor asked me to assist her with her 4H group. She wanted to know if there is something she can put together with Bikes.

    I thought I would throw this out to the Norcal Board and see if anyone has ever put on or been to a Bike Rodeo for kids.

    I'm looking for ideas as to what should be included.

    I'm thinking the age range of kids will be 11 - 12.

    Any idea's of what she can put together would be greatly appreciated.

    jps
    ...post with one of my usual witty posts, but since I've been offending so many people lately, I figured I'd let this one die without the benefit of a bump.

    Edit: D'oh!

    fp
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Information on the trails at New Hogan Lake, Calaveras County, CA.

  3. #3
    BLS439
    Reputation: BLS439's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    529
    IMJPS,
    Where I work we reach out to the community with all types of programs. I actually was in charge of facilitating an OTS (Office of Traffic Safety) grant which included bike rodeos, school presentations, and safety equipment give-aways. We did 2nd through 7th grades.

    Rodeos are pretty easy. you'll need some orange cones and a hand sign like construction workers have (slow/stop). The most entertaining course we ever set-up was a "slow speed race". They riders have to keep moving, but pedal as slow as they can to get through the course.

    See if you can get a local shop to donate a mechanic or two and have a pre-rodeo safety inspection.

    PM me if you want more info.

    --Dave

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: imjps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,430
    Very kewl!

    Thanks Dave. I'll PM you later this week.

    Jim

    Quote Originally Posted by BLS439
    IMJPS,
    Where I work we reach out to the community with all types of programs. I actually was in charge of facilitating an OTS (Office of Traffic Safety) grant which included bike rodeos, school presentations, and safety equipment give-aways. We did 2nd through 7th grades.

    Rodeos are pretty easy. you'll need some orange cones and a hand sign like construction workers have (slow/stop). The most entertaining course we ever set-up was a "slow speed race". They riders have to keep moving, but pedal as slow as they can to get through the course.

    See if you can get a local shop to donate a mechanic or two and have a pre-rodeo safety inspection.

    PM me if you want more info.

    --Dave

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: imjps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,430
    Lol!

    Offensive? Nah.

    Butt, maybe your oder or breath. I've been meaning to say something...

    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    ...post with one of my usual witty posts, but since I've been offending so many people lately, I figured I'd let this one die without the benefit of a bump.

    Edit: D'oh!

    fp

  6. #6
    CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
    Reputation: tsimbu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,282

    My favorite events included.....

    Obstical course (traffic safety) - Include crosswalks at which the children should dismount, turns and stop signs were they must use correct hand signals. When I was in school we had to pass this event befor we could compete in any of the other events.

    Slow Race - 3 or 4 parallel tracks about 2~3ft wide 25 yards long. Crossing the line = 5 sec. penalty, Foot down = 10 sec. penalty

    Double circle - circular course about 15~20ft across and again 2~3ft wide with a line for a start/finish mark. Get around the circle 2 times as fast as you can. Crossing the line = 5 sec. penalty

    Controlled stop - (Need an "official" with a cyclometer on their bike). Get 3 or 4 kids at a time to "pace" the official side by side. They all should get up to some predetermined speed (10~15mph) befor the stop line. At the stop line they should try to stop the bike as fast as possible. (The smart ones will know or quickly find out that a skidding tire takes longer to stop than a rolling one.)

    There and back - 20~25 yard course with a start/finish line and a cone at the other end. Race for fastest time to the cone and back. (Must go around the cone).

    Hope this helps. I've been wanting to organize one of these at my daughter's school for a while now. Hope you have fun.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: imjps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,430
    Tsimbu,

    Thanks for the great ideas.
    I'll let you know how it turns out.

    jps

    Quote Originally Posted by tsimbu
    ...Hope this helps. I've been wanting to organize one of these at my daughter's school for a while now. Hope you have fun.

  8. #8
    BLS439
    Reputation: BLS439's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    529
    imjps, tsimbu took care of business on this one. You can also search google - several law enforcement agencies, bicycle shops, and AAA have done them in the past.

    Good Luck!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: imjps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,430
    BLS439,

    Yep, did that search already.

    Thanks for the idea of contacting AAA and the Law Enforcement agency. That makes sense.

    jps

    Quote Originally Posted by BLS439
    imjps, tsimbu took care of business on this one. You can also search google - several law enforcement agencies, bicycle shops, and AAA have done them in the past.

    Good Luck!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,057
    I remember the police in my home town did this sort of thing when I was a kid. It was free and they included a safety inspection of the bike and some sort of form they sent home for my parents. What I can remember of the riding portion is what others have described above.

  11. #11
    CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
    Reputation: tsimbu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,282

    Look what I found!

    I had these stashed away in my sock drawer. See Larry, this proves it. I really am the slowest rider. I won first place two years in a row!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •