Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bike rage

mtbr member

Bike rage

My usual ride is Santa Teresa Park, because it is close to my house and I can ride to the trail, which means I ride the streets for a couple of miles. I hate the streets. Drivers do not drive defensively, and most the time they are distracted.

Anyway, I'm coming home yesterday afternoon and I stop at a stop light and activate the crosswalk. My light turns green and as I start crossing the intersection I notice a 4-door sedan enter the crosswalk as he comes to a stop. The car is not just partially in the crosswalk, he's all the way in the crosswalk, line-to-line. This is a pet peeve of mine, and I was thinking of the bike ride with my Family earlier that morning, so I wasn't going to let this person get away with it. I mean if I were riding with my Family at that moment, I would have to direct them into the flow of traffic to get around this car. So, I stop right at his door and ask him to move (no, I didn't say please), and he does. Great, right? Hopefully, next time (and the time after...) he'll stop short of the crosswalk.

Well, I continue on my way home and I hear from behind me, "what, you can't go around the car you *expletive*?" I slammed on my brakes, look back and see this guy riding passenger in a 4x4 is yelling this at me. I was furious! I was obeying the law, stopping at the light, utilizing the crosswalk and essentially just calling someone (the driver of the sedan) on their inconsideration. Why was this guy judging me? We exchanged expletives, and luckily for both of us we both stood our ground, and they drove off. Man was I pissed! I really, really wanted that guy to get out of his car and come at me. I realize after cooling off, that would have been the worse-case scenario for both of us.

I wonder if any of these inconsiderate drivers are actually cyclists, walkers or joggers? Riding on the road, which is sometimes necessary, has given me a whole new outlook on sharing the road. But, it also has made me angry and defensive, especially since I have kids.

Ride Responsibly
    So you went from operating a vehicle, to becoming a pedestrian?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    One of my biggest pet peeves is people that roll into crosswalks (or bike lanes) and act like they are obligated to do so. When walking and someone rolls through in front of me, I am apt to open hand slap the back of their car. It gets their attention.

One time, I was biking West Cliff in Santa Cruz near the Dream Inn and someone pulled the pull out of parking lot into bike lane (ignoring the signs to check both ways) right in front of me. I slapped the fender as I rode by. Apparently, this annoyed the guy enough to track me down further along West Cliff (I was biking up hill in the divided lane) with him claiming I was biking the wrong way in a two way bike lane.

I looked at him, smiled, and told him to go back and look at the signs.

When you enter an intersection from a business or come to a crosswalk, you better damn well pay attention to the other users around you. If you don't know an area/are a tourist, be extra f'n careful.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I ride STCP almost everyday.

Why did you even get into it? Let it go. You weren't with your family, nobody got hurt, and just going around the car would've solved the problem. By you having road rage just solidified his despised for bike riders, probably. So, when I'm on my 'cross bike on Santa Teresa - I'm a target. Thanks for that. :sarcasm:

I'm sorry, but your road rage was doûchy behavior and does nothing to improve car/bike relations. It was completely unnecessary since you could've just went around the car like what I would've done and went about my merry way.

Road rage by cyclists is just as annoying and doüchy as road rage by people in cars and tells a story about the person that says they have a temper problem.

That was you in this instance.

The guy was doing an annoying thing, but getting into a road rage fight over? Slapping people's fenders? Yelling back and forth? Temper, temper.

Just move on and get your ride in.

NONDURO
    Lack of turn signal usage is really inconvenient for me both in a car and on a bike. I want to know what you are going to do before you do it, not wondering the whole time. I always use hand signals, even if at times I question why I do it when I am the only one on the road? Anyway, when someone fails to use their turn signal, I give them the “you’re motherf****ing awesome” hand sign; Dion has since corrected me to indicate that this is “The Shocker” signal. Geez, I sure hope people are getting the right message. California Vehicle Code sections 22100–22113 and actually a couple more recently—I need to review these ones again.

The Shocker (for those unfamiliar):

Makes a great, “Hey asscown! Your turn signal bulbs are burned out!!!” sort of compliment.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    I say there will always be dumb a$$ divers and dumb a$$ bicyclists but I feel for you bro. There has been numerous times where I almost get hit because drivers fail to look before crossing and are easily distracted on their cell phones. For these same reasons, I am very hesitant to buy a road bike. My bro rides a motorcycle almost every day and even on that vehicle, there are numerous times where he almost gets hit by dumb a$$ drivers swerving into his lane and cutting him off unexpectedly because they will miss their exits or turns. Why do u think motorcyclists rev their bikes? It is not just because they want to be annoying. Most of them want to let drivers who are not paying attention know they are nearby. But anyways, yea road rage gets you no where in either case for both drivers and bicyclists. Just need to be defensive and watch out for stupidity.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by ncruz408 View Post
    I say there will always be dumb a$$ divers and dumb a$$ bicyclists but I feel for you bro. There has been numerous times where I almost get hit because drivers fail to look before crossing and are easily distracted on their cell phones. For these same reasons, I am very hesitant to buy a road bike. My bro rides a motorcycle almost every day and even on that vehicle, there are numerous times where he almost gets hit by dumb a$$ drivers swerving into his lane and cutting him off unexpectedly because they will miss their exits or turns. Why do u think motorcyclists rev their bikes? It is not just because they want to be annoying. Most of them want to let drivers who are not paying attention know they are nearby. But anyways, yea road rage gets you no where in either case for both drivers and bicyclists. Just need to be defensive and watch out for stupidity.
    Someone needs to come up with a way to get standard street-issue motorbikes to rev up to 22,000RPMs max (a meager 10,000RPMs at idle) so as to keep “cage runners” (is that the right term?) knowing where the motorcyclists are; perhaps someone could engineer some sort of carbon fiber playing card we can stick in our spokes that is loud enough to intimidate motorists in the same fashion?

Meanwhile, my cargobike has truck horns fed via an overvolted (12V rated running @ 24V) Italian-made compressor. People hear that when it is activated. I hope it helps them remember proper road sharing etiquette.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

MTBR Member since 2001...
    Quote Originally Posted by darich View Post
    My usual ride is Santa Teresa Park, because it is close to my house and I can ride to the trail, which means I ride the streets for a couple of miles. I hate the streets. Drivers do not drive defensively, and most the time they are distracted.

Anyway, I'm coming home yesterday afternoon and I stop at a stop light and activate the crosswalk. My light turns green and as I start crossing the intersection I notice a 4-door sedan enter the crosswalk as he comes to a stop. The car is not just partially in the crosswalk, he's all the way in the crosswalk, line-to-line. This is a pet peeve of mine, and I was thinking of the bike ride with my Family earlier that morning, so I wasn't going to let this person get away with it. I mean if I were riding with my Family at that moment, I would have to direct them into the flow of traffic to get around this car. So, I stop right at his door and ask him to move (no, I didn't say please), and he does. Great, right? Hopefully, next time (and the time after...) he'll stop short of the crosswalk.

Well, I continue on my way home and I hear from behind me, "what, you can't go around the car you *expletive*?" I slammed on my brakes, look back and see this guy riding passenger in a 4x4 is yelling this at me. I was furious! I was obeying the law, stopping at the light, utilizing the crosswalk and essentially just calling someone (the driver of the sedan) on their inconsideration. Why was this guy judging me? We exchanged expletives, and luckily for both of us we both stood our ground, and they drove off. Man was I pissed! I really, really wanted that guy to get out of his car and come at me. I realize after cooling off, that would have been the worse-case scenario for both of us.

I wonder if any of these inconsiderate drivers are actually cyclists, walkers or joggers? Riding on the road, which is sometimes necessary, has given me a whole new outlook on sharing the road. But, it also has made me angry and defensive, especially since I have kids.
    Feel you 100%. You let it go and the driver's bad behavior continues. You say something or call them on it and your looking for a fight. Sadly, I am one of the you need to be accountable for your actions generation. People operate with disregard for other's safety. If you ask someone, they themselves don't want to be treated in this manner... It's just common courtesy and respect. You may have taken your personal safety into jeapordy... but not saying something could mean you or someone else is getting run over next time. I usually say "pay attention" which is usually followed with idiot.. (my bad)
    '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others

mtbr member

I personally think what you did was good, despite the repercussion it might have had. You definitely didn't do the wrong thing and I am glad you did it! You made one person more aware of their actions, but unfortunately in the process you made yourself a potential target for the guy in the 4x4 in the future. His judgement has already been made before this incident I am sure and hopefully you don't ever have a run in with them again. Safe riding and hopefully the 4x4 guys will forget this by tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Was the driver on the right lane, wanting to turn right, thus forced to pass the crosswalk? I would have left if alone in your case. The driver is in a 3+ ton truck, while you and your bike probably didn't even come close to weighing 300 pounds. Truck would usually always win against a cyclist. Besides, we cyclists aren't perfect either. Most of us will blow through stop signs or stop lights and I'm sure we have also gone past the crosswalk as we approach it as well.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Riding your bike in crosswalks is not safe. When I teach kids how to ride safely I show them how to activate signals without pushing the crosswalk button. If they have to use a crosswalk I teach them to walk their bike. I would really recommend looking up a bike skills class and learn how to safely ride on the road.

Here are two League of American Bicyclist Instructors who are teaching classes for adults.
    John Ciccarelli #453-CK
    – North Bay / Peninsula / East Bay
    www.teachstreet.com/teacher/john-ciccarelli

• Herman Wadler #1238
    – South Bay
    Learn to ride a bicycle

If you have middle school age kids look up the classes in Palo Alto

The Palo Alto Recreation Department is offering classes to teach bicycle traffic skills to children between 10 and 14 years old and their parents. The classes are taught by a League of American Bicyclists Certified Instructor. To enroll, see the Kids & Teens section of the ENJOY catalog or go to this website: http://enjoyonline.cityofpaloalto.org. Select Activities, then enter the class number or search on the word bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    ^^^ Nor is riding in a crosswalk legal. Although, I understand using the crosswalk light to get through an intersection. I used the same technique many times yesterday when I came up on a lighted intersection with no cars. I waited in the lane for a couple of minutes only to realize I don't have enough weight to trip the light. Just like you I cruise over and tap the crosswalk light. At that point I ride just out of the crosswalk (to the left) and to the right of cars.

If I had unsteady riders, children or whatever with me I would instruct them to dismount, tap the crosswalk light, cross while walking your bike, then re-mount and ride. Seems like a colossal inconvenience but that follows the letter of the law. Tapping the cross walk light and then riding in the crosswalk is illegal.

I totally hear where your rage is coming from and have been frustrated (still am) by drivers. Unfortunately tweaking the rules for our own (cyclists or drivers) convenience makes it confusing for everyone.

I have no way of knowing but my guess is the driver may have backed up unsolicited if you were on foot. Drivers seem to have no idea how to behave around cyclists as far as I can tell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    Was the driver on the right lane, wanting to turn right, thus forced to pass the crosswalk? I would have left if alone in your case. The driver is in a 3+ ton truck, while you and your bike probably didn't even come close to weighing 300 pounds. Truck would usually always win against a cyclist. Besides, we cyclists aren't perfect either. Most of us will blow through stop signs or stop lights and I'm sure we have also gone past the crosswalk as we approach it as well.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201
    100% agree.

With the recent incidents of people getting plowed over by cars in fits of road rage, none of it is worth it. It's not worth becoming Mylar-balloon staring veggie brain over "telling them they're wrong".

So you get into a fight over the guy creeping his car into the crosswalk. Somebody gets hurt, killed, the guy pulls a gun Trevon Martin style... over what again?

And, let's say nothing comes of it, do you think car driving d-bag will say, "Geez, that guy on the bike really gave me some great, educational insight on my driving habits... I love cyclists!"

No... he will be like the rest of them posting things on the comments section of Mercury News, when the city is trying to open up a new bike lane, saying how "Cyclists think they own the road!"

Restrain from unnecessary rage is key to keeping peace and not turning a cager into a cyclist hater. If the car hits you or nearly hits you, you have something to rage over... but none of it is worth fighting over and it possibly escalating to something ridiculous and really dangerous.

Last road rage incident I got over escalated to me getting followed home and me going inside and grabbing my gun, ready to kill a man dead. Over nothing.

To the OP: you're a father/husband - you really think it's worth it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Inductive Loop Traffic Sensors

Hi Cornfish.
    Great examples of how to teach children how to navigate crosswalks on bikes.

A couple of corrections though, bike riding in crosswalks was ambiguous in the eyes of California law. The law has been recently changed to make bike riding legal in crosswalks legal. It is still not best practice.

Traffic light sensors are one of two types in California "Inductive Loop" sensors or camera sensors. You can trigger an inductive loop sensor by lining up your wheel within 2" of the edge of the sensor buried in the asphalt. Alternately, place your bike in the middle of the loop.

Here is a good youtube video on how to trigger inductive loop sensors.

Camera sensors will look for contrast changes in the same location that the inductive loops are to trigger the traffic lights. It helps to have higher contrast clothing to make it easier for the camera to pick you up. At night you can shine your bike light in the general direction of the camera sensor to help trip the light.

By law now in California all new traffic signals must be able to detect bicycles. If a signal is not detecting your bicycle you should complain to the local city and the its public works department. For loop sensors they can have the signal contractor increase the sensitivity of the loop detector.

Marc Jensen
    League of American Bicyclist
    Certified Instructor #1799

mtbr member
    I completely forgot that I am not supposed to be riding in the crosswalk, thank you for mentioning that. However, I still need to push the crosswalk button as me and the bike don't seem to trigger the lights. I guess it didn't occur to me that I wasn't supposed to be in the crosswalk, because it's such a huge intersection and I was the only pedestrian. Different rules for cyclist and walkers, though.

Up until the part of getting into it with the 4x4 passenger, I really had the best intentions. How else are we going to affect change in our society unless we call other citizens on their mistakes? The guy (sedan driver) really wasn't paying attention. He had his head turned talking to someone in the back seat, and for those that asked he was not making the right turn. It wasn't until the person in the back seat was looking at me that the driver turned around and took notice. Like I said before, he did back out of the crosswalk and that was good.

I guess I could have been more appreciative to the guy, and I'm sure my body language read anger and attitude, which the 4x4 passenger probably picked-up on. For those of you that said so, it was not worth getting into it with the other guy, it could have ended up far worse than it did and I've set a bad example for those involved and for those who witnessed it.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Here is my three cents
    1. doüchy- Nice use of the letter ü
    2. asscown- Did you mean assclown? if not please elaborate.
    3. Mylar-balloon staring veggie brain- though this is a very thought provoking statement, a couple things need to be pointed out. a. Mylar balloon does not need hyphenation. b. Mylar is just a brand name a more accurate statement would be "BoPET balloon staring"

Carry on
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If you want to really inform people about their bad driving, become a cop.

Otherwise, politely suggest, "Did you know you can get a ticket for stopping inside a crosswalk? The local cops are ticketing people for that right now." A little white lie works wonders.

EXPECT PEOPLE TO DO THE STUPIDEST THING POSSIBLE:
    You will rarely get surprised or disappointed.

o That pedestrian texting will step into the street to cross without looking.
    o That car will change lanes without signaling.
    o The bicycle rider will run that stop sign.
    o The pedestrian will start running 20 feet from the street to beat crossing the Don't Walk sign.
    o I don't care if the light is green, I still look both ways for the idiot trying to beat the red light. Traffic signals do not have radar sensors for red light runners.

Enjoy how many times you are able to anticipate their stupidity. It lowers road rage. I am prepared for a stupid move, mainly to avoid someone creating an accident involving me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    Here is my three cents
    3. Mylar-balloon staring veggie brain- though this is a very thought provoking statement, a couple things need to be pointed out. a. Mylar balloon does not need hyphenation. b. Mylar is just a brand name a more accurate statement would be "BoPET balloon staring"

Carry on
    That bored?

mtbr member
    Here is my three cents

Carry on
    Slow day at the office? Need me to drop by with some annoying questions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Here is my three cents

Carry on
    Düdé... sér¡øüsl¥.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by leaguerider View Post
    By law now in California all new traffic signals must be able to detect bicycles.
    I'd like to see a link to that law.

Also by law, if the sensors are not functional, you may treat the light as a stop sign; go when it is safe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

V C Section 21450.5 Traffic Actuated Signals Detection of Motorcycles and Bicycles

V C Section 21450.5 Traffic Actuated Signals Detection of Motorcycles and Bicycles

Traffic-Actuated Signals: Detection of Motorcycles and Bicycles

21450. (a) A traffic-actuated signal is an official traffic control signal, as specified in Section 445, that displays one or more of its indications in response to the presence of traffic detected by mechanical, visual, electrical, or other means.

(b) Upon the first placement of a traffic-actuated signal or replacement of the loop detector of a traffic-actuated signal, the traffic-actuated signal shall, to the extent feasible and in conformance with professional traffic engineering practice, be installed and maintained so as to detect lawful bicycle or motorcycle traffic on the roadway.

(c) Cities, counties, and cities and counties shall not be required to comply with the provisions contained in subdivision (b) until the Department of Transportation, in consultation with these entities, has established uniform standards, specifications, and guidelines for the detection of bicycles and motorcycles by traffic-actuated signals and related signal timing.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Lack of turn signal usage is really inconvenient for me both in a car and on a bike. I want to know what you are going to do before you do it, not wondering the whole time. I always use hand signals, even if at times I question why I do it when I am the only one on the road? Anyway, when someone fails to use their turn signal, I give them the “you’re motherf****ing awesome” hand sign; Dion has since corrected me to indicate that this is “The Shocker” signal. Geez, I sure hope people are getting the right message. California Vehicle Code sections 22100–22113 and actually a couple more recently—I need to review these ones again.

The Shocker (for those unfamiliar):

Makes a great, “Hey asscown! Your turn signal bulbs are burned out!!!” sort of compliment.
    Two in the pink and one in the stink.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

bike buster
    I really, really wanted that guy to get out of his car and come at me. I realize after cooling off, that would have been the worse-case scenario for both of us.
    Yep. It's not worth getting shot because you had to ride around a car in the crosswalk.

When on the road, I don't even bother pressing the button to activate the light at major intersections. If you don't trip the light, a car will come along and do it for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy View Post
    I'd like to see a link to that law.

Also by law, if the sensors are not functional, you may treat the light as a stop sign; go when it is safe.
    Sometimes my motorcycle won't trigger the signals.

I wonder about my friend's bike with carbon fibre frame and wheels.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast