mtbr member

Bike/Camp - Where?

Hey all -
    Couple of so cal dudes here looking to plan a 2-3 night camping/biking trip. We'd prefer to stay in one place, but aren't averse to riding a couple of different areas. Prefer all-mountain or XC type rides, and dig wooded campgrounds. Any good riding in/near Henry Cowell? Other suggestions?
    Planning this trip for the last week of March, so Tahoe's not an option...

Thanks in advance!
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

Dropshot Champ!
    fort bragg.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    fort bragg.
    +1 for mendocino/ft. Bragg

mtbr member

Bike/Camp - Where?

Looks like a cool area, and I can probably hit that this summer on my way back from an OR trip I have planned. Might be a little bit far for a getaway though. I was thinking more like a 5 hour drive from LA, less like 8.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Big Sur? Ideal location and camping options, you'd need to research riding options...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I live near Henry Cowell. The campground is nice, and is pretty nice. But it closes seasonally, and has a no alcohol rule. I'm not sure when they open. There's not a lot of riding in Cowell itself, but there are some nearby areas you can ride to. Feel free to send me a pm if interested. There is also a campground at New Brighton, south of Capitola, blufftop, overlooking a beach. Not such immediate acces to riding, but nice campground. Santa Cruz county is about 6 hours' drive north from Santa Barbara.

San Luis Obispo is about 3 hours south of here. I've seen some pretty great photos of trails at Montana de Oro, which is in Los Osos, near SLO. There is camping there, and several nearby campgrounds around Morro Bay. If I was coming from southern California for a 2-3 day trip, that area might work better in terms of less time in the car.

mtbr member
    How about Demo Forest in Santa Cruz? - some of the best riding you'll find in a beautiful wooded area

I've never camped there but 1 of the Norcal guys on here organized a big camping trip last year (unfortunately I couldn't go!) - a quick search on this forum could probably yield the details of that campground

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    We've camped at the Santa Cruz Ranch RV park in Scott's Valley, and it was pretty nice. Their car camping area is separate from the RV park, but it's small, so I would get on it fast if you're interested. That would put you close to lots of great riding in Santa Cruz and Demo, and about an hour from Skegg's.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    How about Demo Forest in Santa Cruz? - some of the best riding you'll find in a beautiful wooded area

I've never camped there but 1 of the Norcal guys on here organized a big camping trip last year (unfortunately I couldn't go!) - a quick search on this forum could probably yield the details of that campground
    There's a private camp up near Demo but I'm pretty sure you need a big group to reserve it. It's not really a campground per se. That's my understanding anyways.

I would highly recommend Montana de Oro SP near Los Osos. It'd be probably like a 4 hour drive for you guys. It's not "wooded" but it has awesome riding right out of your campsite plus tons more a short drive away. A beach is across the street as well.

Henry Cowell puts you within reach of some really good stuff but the no alcohol rule is what it is. New Brighton SB is another option if you're looking at Santa Cruz. The only negative is that there is a fair amount of pavement necessary to get to the trails.

Samuel P. Taylor up near Fairfax puts you within reach of some good Marin riding. A guide might be necessary for some of that.

If this trip is during the Summer than obviously all of NorCal is opened up and you should probably head to the Sierras.

NedwannaB
    We stayed here. Not rough camping if thats what you're looking for. Have tent/rv spots,pool/showers etc.

You can ride Pogonip/UC/Grey Whale and Wilder areas on dirt right from camp. Finish thru Wilder and drop down to the coast on Hwy 1 and down to the boardwalk. Roaring Camp's open railcars (check seasonal schedules) can take you and bikes back up the 9 canyon and drop you off within a few pedaling miles on dirt back to camp. Plus, a quick car trip back up 9 and up to the top of 17 taking Summit-Hyland roads will get you out to Demo Forest for some of the best riding in the greater areas.

Bing Local
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    +2 Ft Bragg and Jackson Demo.

Here's a couple of threads on what you can expect up there. Awesomeness.

Photolog of our trip to the North Coast

North Coast Jackson Demo Redux - Tour de Nug Jug

jrm
    mtbr member
    Fort Ord/Laguna Seca?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Fort Ord/Laguna Seca?
    Deep wooded?.....
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....