fc
    stoked Administrator

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned

From your first bike to your current one, let's hear about bikes in your history. State the year, cost and a couple words about it, photo if you have one.
    IPA will save America

Formerly dvo
    First mountain bike was a steel Marin Hawk Ridge, realized it wasn't much of a jumper when the chain stay snapped. It was replaced by a SC Chameleon, first generation with the beefy square stays, didn't help me much when the head tube sheared off in my hands casing a jump at Stanford.
    Next up was a Rocky RM6, it was my dream freeride bike until it was stolen out of the front room of our house/bike shop in downtown Palo Alto. It was replaced by a 2nd gen Stumpy expert that I rode until the wheels fell off. Finally got my first all new carbon blinged out Stumpy that I put 8000 miles on until it just got too tired to continue.
    Now I have a Hightower that I built piece by piece and I just love it so much. I also have a couple hardtails and a road bike that is destined to be sold.
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    First bike was a kona stinky Jr that we bought at mammoth mtn. I remember wanting to ride the bike park so bad (but didn't have a real mountain bike), we went into the bike shop and bought the only "real" kids mountain bike. These days kids have such awesome bikes to ride.

Second bike was an Small enduro. (2005 maybe). This bike was a tank and did not like pedaling uphill.

Then I had a 2009 enduro.

Then it was a 2011 enduro expert that my dad gave me after he rode it for a few years. I still have this bike in case 26" gets popular again.

And lastly my current bike, 2016 Commencal Meta V4 AM. First bike I paid for in full with my own money.

Really not that many bikes over my lifetime. I have no idea what the next bike will be. Probably something with 29" wheels though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    DB Apex, followed by this bad boy - Mongoose Tomac team replica, complete with 150mm T-bone stem. I wish I had kept this beast.Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-00000870.jpg.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-blur.jpg

2006-ish Santa Cruz Blur - Free + parts
    My dad gave me this one when I mentioned I wanted to get back into mountain bikes. Spare SC Blur frame (maybe a large?), started with an old manitou fork that was later replaced by a fox 32, and a set of Outlaw wheels. Like most of my bikes it was my do-everything, from jumps to XC. Given back to my dad after a few years of abuse, then was I believe sold.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-endurosl.jpg

2008 Specialized Enduro SL S-works - Bro-dealed
    Bought off a good friend for a steal, it needed all the bearings replaced, a new seat, and the suspension needed to be rebuilt. Size Large, probably a little big for me, but what I gave up in manual-ability I got back in stability. This took me everywhere from Tamarancho laps to squirrely Shasta DH chasing buddies on V10's. Also my first bike with a dropper post. Sold to a friend of mine who is just getting into riding.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-stp.jpg

Craigslist Giant STP something or other - $400
    Needed an impractical commuter and thought it would be a good idea to go double duty with a dirt jumper. I'd like to say I got some proper legs from commuting on this thing, but I think mostly I just got tired. It did make for a good challenge on trails though, and had been used for actual dirt jumps on occasion. Eventually I just gifted it to a friend.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-raleigh.jpg

Raleigh something or other commuter/gravelGrinder - $700
    Right about when I started getting different bikes for different uses. Whenever I need something that I can lock up or leave somewhere or commute on. I've tried a few rougher roads but the 3-speed hub doesn't seem to enjoy it much. Large frame, grip shifter, horribly thin schwalbe tires that already have cost me a few tubes.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-demo7.jpg

2008 Specialized Demo7 - $400
    Dirt cheap on craigslist, this one needed some love to get working again. Even with that, the fork air spring leaks into the lower if I let it sit too long. Still, it's a fun bike that carries some speed on the downhill! I take this one out if I'm going to Northstar or somewhere that I think might be a bit more of a mechanical beating on the bike. It is also my handicap ride when my wife wants me to slow down uphill. Med frame, dented Outlaw wheels, old skinny DHF/HR2 tires (hefty wire bead), and the worst feeling avid brakes I've ever used.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-hd3.jpg

2017 Ibis HD3 - $4000
    Even with the HD4 being released, I really couldn't be happier (HD4 release putting HD3's on sale was rad!). This is the most playful bike I've owned, and since I'm using for everything short of what I keep the Demo7 for, it works perfectly. Med frame, Ibis 742 wheels, trying out some 27.5+ tires, and it wheelies everywhere. Swapped the DPS Evol shock for a Topaz, and kept the Fox 36 on the front. Also swapped the brakes from whatever base Shimano to XT's, then to TRP Slates once I got frustrated with the XT's wandering bite point.

mtbr member
    That last pic is so sick canadian!

Here is my anthology (had to borrow some pics from the internet for bikes I had no pic for):

1. No-name POS BMX (no pic) Grandpa got for me and my brother at swap meet in Vegas. We rode the sh!t out of that bike through the desert in Vegas & built jumps for it until it broke. I loved that bike!

2. I saved up and bought a new Nishiki Prestige road bike (similar to pic) for $400 and rode that until college - had never heard of mtbing in Nevada

3. At college in Utah, heard out about mtbing through my roommate, who had a Klein, and he talked me into buying a used Rocky Mtn. Hammer (similar to pic) for a couple hundred bucks and rode that for a year in UT until it was stolen!

4. Decided to try this new full suspension thing, and bought a used Specialized Stumpy (similar to pic) for about $500 - probably a '94-'95 - coming off a HT, I never liked it - I remember feeling out of control

5. Sold the Stumpy and bought another used RM hard tail for couple hundred bucks - it was stolen as well!

6. After the Rocky was stolen, I didn't mtn bike again for about 8-9 years until I moved to Bay Area and decided to gradually take the sport back up again so bought a used, cheap POS Cannondale with 80 mm headshock for $300 - it was stolen just recently!

7. I tried to ride places like Skeggs and Tamo on the Cannondale and realized I was going to injure myself when that POS broke, so decided to step up and bought a used Yeti ASR5 - fun bike but I bent the rear triangle after about a year

8. I made the mistake of demoing the Mojo HD when it 1st came out, and that was a game changer - I bought my 1st brand new really nicely specd' super expensive bike - it was so fun!

9. After a few years on the HD, I got into jumping and riding more advanced trails, so decided to get something even more capable - went back to my roots and built up a '14 Rocky Mountain Altitude from scratch and spared no expense - this is now my do everything bike

10. My POS Cannondale HT became my city bike, but after it got stolen I picked up a GT which is now my city bike

11. The insurance gave me a lot of $$ for the stolen bike, but I had to buy a bike with it, so I tried a Nomad 3 - way too much bike for me for the bay area and way too much like a DH bike, so I sold it

12 & 13. I decided I wanted to have a backup bike so I built up a Kona HT, and hated it, then built up a Commencal Meta and it is fun but of course I never ride it

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-nishikiprestige.jpg

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-rocky.jpg

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-fsr.jpg

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-c.jpg

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-asr5.jpg

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-mojohd.jpg

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-rm.jpg

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-n.jpg

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-gt.jpg

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-k.jpg

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-c.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Originally I was on a 200$ mongoose from Walmart. It was converted to single speed to stop the derailer and chain from flying off, then I destroyed the chainstay casing a jump and decided to buy a new bike. No picture.

Next one I had was a Brand-x FS-01. This was a cool bike with good modern geometry that I got off craigslist for 765$, with gx drivetrain float 32, up front, dropper, some carbon bars and other nice parts.
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-p5pb14400066.jpg
    After that I sold it and got what I thought was an upgrade, an Ibis Mojo Hd 26 for 1650$. Sadly I now realize that the Brand-x was actually probably better. But the Ibis was pretty nice with a lyrik, xfusion rear, x01 drivetrain.
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_2079.jpg
    Then I sold the Ibis and a Banshee Amp Dj I had and bought a Evil Wreckoning off of Pinkbike for $4300. This bike was easily the best bike I had ever had with a Dvo Diamond upfront, and the stock monarch in the rear, Rsc brakes, xt drivetrain. I rode it for around 2 weeks, the fastest 2 weeks of my life, primarily at UCSC. Then 3 weeks ago I went to Northstar and washed out on Pho Dog and broke my elbow. So this bike is now gone, for the same price I bought it for but with a new found dent in the rear wheel.
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-p5pb14928375.jpg

Now that I can't bike for a few weeks I've picked up a new Dj and a XC bike, I may buy an Enduro bike later but I want to stick to jumping, xc and surfing for awhile. But the N+1 rule is telling me to get a patrol or scout next.
    Morpheus Vimana
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-p5pb14821924.jpg
    And a Nashbar Carbon Hardtail which I don't have a photo of.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-dsc_0108.jpg  

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Awesome so far. I'll go through my files and go back to my 1995 roots.
    IPA will save America

Trail Gnome Moderator
    My very first bike was a 1970 Schwinn Sting Ray. It had 3 speeds, with a top tube mounted shifter.
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_0321.jpg
    My second bike was a 1975 Western Flyer, it had front suspension. I was the only kid in town with suspension.
    Name:  IMG_0320.JPG
Views: 572
Size:  31.2 KB
    After that I had various bmx bikes.
    My first mtb was a 1990 Alpinestars fully rigid bike with elevated chainstays...anyone remember those?
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_0330.jpg
    My second mtb was a 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper, fully rigid steel frame and fork. This was my first real mtb...my first race was at Boggs Mtn on this bike.
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_0323.jpg
    Third was a 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper M2; this was the first bike frame I cracked. It was also the first frame I had warrantied
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_0324.jpg
    My warrantied frame/bike got stolen once I moved to the BayArea.
    I also had a GT rts-1. Mercedes Gonzales was our GT rep, at the shop I was working at.
    My next bike was a 1997 Specialized FSR...I raced expert DH on this bike...lots of good memories.
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_0325.jpg
    Next was an Intense Uzzi SL, 2001 I believe. Great bike. I cracked every part of the frame on that thing. Warranty nightmare.
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_1737.jpg
    Then I bought a Kona Stinky Primo frame, and built it up. I think it was a 2002? 6" of travel, Stout frame...brake jack like you wouldn't believe.
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_0328.jpg
    Oh yeah, I had a 2000 WTB Phoenix in there somewhere...I cracked that too.
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-2001_046.jpg
    Intense 5.5 was next on the list...I cracked that one too
    I just recently got it warrantied; good job Intense
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_1728.jpg
    I then bought a used Santa Cruz Blur trc off Pinkbike...my favorite bike so far.
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_0329.jpg
    It cracked, Santa Cruz warrantied it...Thank you Willie...they gave me my current frame...a 2015 5010. I just rode it today.

I suppose my next bike will be this 2017 Intense Spider, since 29ers suck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-fullsizerender.jpg  

Last edited by griz; 07-31-2017 at 09:36 AM. Reason: More pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    My very first bike was a 1970 Schwinn Sting Ray. It had 3 speeds, with a top tube mounted shifter.
    Do you by any chance still have the Schwinn Sting Ray? Maybe that bike will fit you just right and we don't have to listen to you whine about how bikes never fit you!

Let's take it on a run at Pacifica tomorrow and find out!

BTW the shifting lever on that thing is badass! - I say we bring that back so we can feel like we are in a race car - I can't imagine anything going wrong with that big ol' knob sitting there in that position!

Trail Gnome Moderator
    ^^^I think those ape hangar bars still might fit me
    I had some cutting edge machines

mtbr member
    The first new mountain bike I ever bought, a 1991 Bridgestone MB-2. Also the first thing I ever financed. Monthly $100 payments for 10 months while in college was big money! Lots of race miles put on this rigid machine. Had this bike for almost 25 years (20 of those years sitting in my garage) and finally put it on the curb with a free sign, was gone in about 2 minutes!

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-08555dd4c873da9e7c4690382d6b3e30.jpg
    Such a long long time to be gone
    and a short time to be there

mtbr member
    Super-Go bike,with Bio-pace Shimano gears, it had Columbus tubes which were supposed to be a good thing back in 1990.

I bought a second hand Gary Fisher HKII from the LBS owner, it was amazing for a 1991 or so bike, I still have it in my garage, I'll take a pic once I put mountain tires back on it. I put skinny tires on it for tarmac riding.

After those it was Kawasaki, Yamaha and Honda, mostly Honda bikes, they weren't mountain bikes BTW!

Then a Specialized Stumperjumper, in 2013, a Devinci Troy Alloy framed RS 2015, and currently a Devinci Carbon Troy.

I really should put mountain tires on the Gary Fisher and ride it every now and then, the Super-Go is still in the family, but crammed in my brother's garage somewhere.
    And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver. A. Senna

mtbr member
    How have you cracked every frame griz???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    bmx and motocross bikes in the 80's and early 90's
    Specialized Hard Rock in the late 80's or early 90's
    Rocky Mountain something or other ~ 94
    Intense Tracer ~ 98
    Maverick ML7 ~ 2000
    Niner Sir9 ~ 2005
    Turner Sultan in 2008
    newer Turner Sultan in 2012
    Chromag Surface ~ 2014
    SC Nomad in 2015
    sold Nomad a couple of weeks ago and getting out of the sport due to lack of time....maybe I'll be back in a year or two or three

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post
    How have you cracked every frame griz???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Because I obviously don't know how to ride.

Wēk Sôs
    Because I obviously don't know how to ride.
    or you can look at the flip side. getting every penny out of those bikes.

Wēk Sôs

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned

I didn't have a bike as a kid. Learned to ride though, barely.

When I had my son, I was running for exercise. Son (and eventually daughter started the same way). Scooters, and I'd run beside them. Then pedal bikes, and I'd run beside them. But when my son hit 4-5yo, I could no longer keep up, so I got a bike.

1990 Rockhopper Comp, picked it up used of course. I didn't know much about bikes at that time, sized it by standover and a couple inches of clearance. It turned out to be too small for me, but the flip side, this is now my commuter with Nitto Rando bars and a Nitto Dirt Drop stem to bring the bars up. It turns out it's perfect, horizontally, for drop bars. I'm not exactly sure when I bought it. (Edit: Make that 2009/2010)

Shortly after, I got a 2009 Diamondback Mission 1. Heavy, pedaled poorly, but fun, replaced every part on this thing eventually to get it the way I wanted.

2010 Ragley MMMBop. My first bike I built from the frame up. Good bike, built it with a 150mm fork. Aggressive geo, a bit too much for me. 64* static head angle, IIRC. Rode it everywhere, but got tired of looping out the saddle on climbs. I wanted a better climbing bike than the Mission, and this did well with power transfer and no bob, being a hardtail.

2012 On One Dirty Disco. I needed a road bike, still using it.

2012 Santa Cruz Nickel, frame build up. I still use this bike as I built it with a 140 fork. It pedals well, for what it is, heavy, but not atrociously so. I realized that I should use less travel, and this is where I sit now. It works fine for me, and handles all my needs.

Fireeye Bloodshot, built this as a SS bike and a dirt jump. Super long seatpost, but it works for trail riding, but pushing SS is a bit hard for me now as it's very heavy with a coil fork too. I still use it on rides with my daughter, who rides well, but dislikes biking.

2012/2013 Gravity Zilla XX. I bought this bike as a foray into the monster cross/gravel grinder. Eventually parted it out and donated it piece by piece.

2016 On One Bish Bash Bosh, my current gravel bike.

I also have a BMX frame tucked away, that I haven't built yet. I probably should.
    Last edited by IAmHolland; 07-31-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    I didn't have a bike as a kid. Learned to ride though, barely.

When I had my son, I was running for exercise. Son (and eventually daughter started the same way). Scooters, and I'd run beside them. Then pedal bikes, and I'd run beside them. But when my son hit 2yo, I could no longer keep up, so I got a bike.

1990 Rockhopper Comp, picked it up used of course. I didn't know much about bikes at that time, sized it by standover and a couple inches of clearance. It turned out to be too small for me, but the flip side, this is now my commuter with Nitto Rando bars and a Nitto Dirt Drop stem to bring the bars up. It turns out it's perfect, horizontally, for drop bars.

Shortly after, I got a Diamondback Mission. Heavy, pedaled poorly, but fun, replaced every part on this thing eventually to get it the way I wanted.

Ragley MMMBop. My first bike I built from the frame up. Good bike, built it with a 150mm fork. Aggressive geo, a bit too much for me. 64* static head angle, IIRC. Rode it everywhere, but got tired of looping out the saddle on climbs. I wanted a better climbing bike than the Mission, and this did well with power transfer and no bob, being a hardtail.

On One Dirty Disco. I needed a road bike, still using it.

Santa Cruz Nickel, frame build up. I still use this bike as I built it with a 140 fork. It pedals well, for what it is, heavy, but not atrociously so. I realized that I should use less travel, and this is where I sit now. It works fine for me, and handles all my needs.

Fireeye Bloodshot, built this as a SS bike and a dirt jump. Super long seatpost, but it works for trail riding, but pushing SS is a bit hard for me now as it's very heavy with a coil fork too. I still use it on rides with my daughter, who rides well, but dislikes biking.

Gravity Zilla XX. I bought this bike as a foray into the monster cross/gravel grinder. Eventually parted it out and donated it piece by piece.

On One Bish Bash Bosh, my current gravel bike.

I also have a BMX frame tucked away, that I haven't built yet. I probably should.
    What do you think of the bish bash bosh?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Pics or it never happened!

You guys can always edit later. And use the 'insert photos inline' option of the uploader so the photos is beside the referring text.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Here goes nothing. The most interesting part of my bike history is from 1995 to 2005 it seems. In 1995, I moved to some apartments in Milpitas by Dixon Landing Road as I got a job in an office park over there.

Had the vision of biking to work since it was only a mile so I sought out to buy a bike with my $200 budget. Hit the San Jose Mercury Mini Mart classifieds and found a 1989 Diamondback Ascent for $150. Bike was too big and it had bad gearing and bad brakes but what did I know. I saw this hill above our place, the mighty Mission Peak hill and found the trailhead at Stanford Road near 680. I went up and got turned around after less than a mile. I came back every day though to try again. Downhill sucked but the view was good and the sense of accomplishment was always good since you can see every foot that you've climbed. Anyway, after 3 months of trying, I made it to the top.Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-03140271-2.jpg

I proceeded to upgrade every part of that bike until there was nothing more to touch. That just meant I had to get another bike so I got the Cannondale M700 with Pepperoni fork. It had 580 bars and a a 140mm stem. Bike was too small for me and too rough. But it was light!! The fork got recalled and the shop took the bike from me for 6 weeks since they couldn't get the replacement part. At that point, I vowed to never have just one bike and/or leave it at a bike shop.

insert cannondale photo here...

After the Cannondale was a Manitou HT bike. The bike fit me well and I proceeded to spec it and bling it out. Everything Ti or light as it weighed in at 21 lbs.

Name:  fcpeak.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  46.4 KB

Then I started Mtbr in 1996 and I was able to buy Dean ti softail and a Ventana Marble Peak. The Dean was awful but Marble Peak was pretty darn awesome. That was my goto bike for awhile as I researched and tried a ton of parts.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-dscn0001.jpg

A Titus Switchblade kept me busy as well. I started dabbling with singlespeeds and I knew there was a problem when I turned my Switchblade into a singlespeed.
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-dscn0128.jpg

Then it was time to go custom and local as I met Brent Steelman in Redwood City and he built me a Steelman Manzanita singlespeed
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-dscn0135.jpg

I rode this bike at UC and Demo a lot. And I even raced Downieville XC with it... twice. Once to get punished and second to train and get punished some more.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-dscn0010.jpg

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-dscn0052.jpg
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-file0012.jpg

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-p9190001.jpg
    Still had the singlespeed bug but it was time to go retro as I met a guy was making high performance cruiser bikes. Retrotec built me a bike that was fast and low.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-p2050012.jpg

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-p7200078.jpg

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-franc_retro.jpg

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_7976.jpg

Name:  climb.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  63.2 KB

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-p2080045.jpg
    Then I got some road bikes. A lot of them. Very fancy ones.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-p2240016.jpg

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-franc_colnago.jpg

Then I went back to the well and got Steelman to build me cyclocross bike. Eurocross he called it. I raced cross but I hated running. So I just hit some dirt with it.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-cimg4276.jpg

I got some more light bikes, notably, the Look 986 carbon hardtail. It was 21 lbs when I bought it but it was 15.8 lbs when I was done with it.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-p1000965.jpg

I then got a Turner 5-spot that I used for a while It took me on many adventures and road trips. 2004 was the year.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-francois-tim-corner-4-550.jpg

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_0012.jpg

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-house-feb-16-077.jpg

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_0056.jpg

Finally, a Highball and a Tallboy became part of the arsenal. Good times.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-dsc_0040-1.jpgBike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-dsc_0096.jpgBike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-dsc_0099.jpgBike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-dscn0012.jpg
    Last edited by fc; 07-30-2017 at 11:49 PM.
    IPA will save America

Wēk Sôs
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    What do you think of the bish bash bosh?

I like it quite a bit, ticks all the boxes for me as I was looking for a bike that had larger tire clearance than the CX bikes, but would like more tire clearance to run 45c. I also wanted a taller head tube, less road racy to handle technical terrain better, and a bit slacker with more trail than my Dirty Disco, and this frame has it. The lower BB is a bonus too.

I'm using it with Clement MSO 40c tubeless, and it clears the frame just fine. BB height is good, and tubing and what not are pretty good. I like the curved stay to top tube, and the squarish chain stays. A friend is using it with the WTB Horizons, and it clears with room.

I wouldn't recommend it now as shipping from the UK is insane (brexit probably). $200, forget it.

I rode Eldridge with it yesterday. It was hella fun, but was sketched out at first, then just bombed it after I got used to it. I would like a shorter seat tube though, for that type of riding, as I need a dropper. I nutted myself, was not cool. Something like the Cutthroat would be great there. It's not technical enough for me to haul out my Nickel for that trail, but a short travel HT would be awesome.

Paper or plastic?
    Thanks. I looked at the BBB last year. Looked pretty good. Now, does anybody know of an offset dropper post in 27.2?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I love this thread!

First bike ever was a 1978 Sears BMX bike with coaster brakes that looked something like this:
    Name:  sears.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  37.6 KB

Then came a Sears road bike that resembled this beauty:
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-free-spirit.jpg

Next came my dream bike at the time, a 1986 Mongoose Expert:
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-mongoose.jpg

Then, the crown jewel of my entire bike-owning history, a "free" mountain bike from Matthews, Top-of-the-Hill, Daly City!!! They used to run ads in the Bay Area in the 80s that said you'd get a free mountain bike if you bought a car stereo. I talked my mom into buying a crappy tape deck for her car just so I could get the bike. The cranks stripped and the thing was absolutely useless literally the day I brought it home. Worst bike I've ever laid my eyes on lol. That Matthews place must have made a killing on that deal.
    Name:  matthews.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  26.7 KB

After that debacle, I somehow talked my parents into trying another mountain bike and I got this beast complete with Biopace gears (Specialized Hardrock):
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-hardrock.jpg

Took a decade off and decided to really get back into mountain biking at Chico State, so I started with this GT Backwoods with an upgraded fork, the "Long Travel" Judy with a whopping 80mm of travel lol (not shown here, but this is close):
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-gt.jpg

Took another decade off, got fat, and decided to start riding again on this Torker T29:
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-torker.jpg

Then, the biking bug REALLY bit me and I bought a Specialized Crave Pro. I started riding it around Lake Natoma 3 or 4 times a week and lost 75 pounds in three months. Even with its steep head angle, slack seat tube, long stem, and long chain stays, it was the tool that opened my eyes to what real mountain biking is all about. Lake Natoma progressed to Granite Bay, then Salmon Falls, then Crockett Hills, then Annadel, etc., and now I'm ready to ride places where the Crave just won't cut it:
    Name:  crave.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  25.0 KB

That brings me to my future bike, which, as of now, is gonna be the new Guerrilla Gravity Smash. I've put almost 3000 miles on the Crave, my wife is finally convinced that I'm pretty serious about bikes, and now it's time to gather the funds. (Also looking at SC Hightower, Pivot Switchblade, Intense Primer, Norco Sight, among others) Can't wait!!!
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-smash.jpg

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    From your first bike to your current one, let's hear about bikes in your history. State the year, cost and a couple words about it, photo if you have one.
    My first mountain bike was a 1986 Schwinn Mesa Runner, which I bought after saving up from my paper route. My sister borrowed it one day without asking and road it to the local pool - didn't lock it up and it got stolen ;-(

My next mtb was a Diamond Back Ascent - that my other sister gave me. I'm pretty sure she stole it from someone, but I can't be sure.

After that I got a 1990 Mongoose IBOC (international bicycle of champions) - saved up from working at Round Table for $3.65/hr - which even at that time was below minimum wage. I beat the crap out of that bike - broke the fork and upgraded to a Scott unishock, cracked the frame, ripped the free hub right off the rear hub. I was hooked on mountain biking though!

I remember riding this bike up Mount Diablo and stopping to have a cigarette. I quickly realized it was gunna be the bike or the smokes - I couldn't do both.

Got a Trek 9000 Aluminum frame and swapped the parts from my mongoose. That was around 1992.

Got a 1993 Performance chromoly frame - all True Temper - weighed 3.75#'s - which even by todays standards is light for steel. Got a Manitou 2 for it and gradually upgraded it. Got White industry hubs and my first A-Headset. Started racing - did the Sea Otter - my first MTB race.

Got a 1994 Cannondale SuperV 2000. XT group, carbon swingarm. I think I got one or two races on that bike. Headshock sucked - swapped it for a Judy (with an adaptor) and the bike felt awesome.

Got a 1995 Dagger AMP frame - built with XTR, White Industry hubs - and I was sponsored by Sycip at the time - so got Sycip stem and bar ends. Bike weighed 25#'s in a size large. Raced several races on it. Got my first win at Iron Angels in Angels Camp.

Got a 1996 Performance M006 - Easton Aluminum, Manitou MachV Ti Fork - I built Machine Tech wheels for it with SUP 217 Sunset rims and Marwi TiDie spokes. it was dope. Got 3rd at Napa Knobular, 4th at Trees N Breez (with broken ribs)

Bike got stolen out of my friends car in SF.

Insurance came through with a check for $1,800

I bought a Kestrel Rubicon from Kurt Stockton - it was the craziest bike I had ever seen - Red ringle hubs, stem, headset and seat post. Red kooka cranks. Red Magura rim brakes and a red Judy. Bike weight 26.75#'s. I raced it XC for a while - then had it retro fitted for Disc brakes, bought a Monster T and raced it DH. Got a first, 2 seconds and a 4th racing the Kestrel DH.

I broke 6 of the Kestrels and finally succeeded in convincing the engineers to add more material and make the pivots out of chromoly and not aluminum. They ended up putting that bike in to production and called the the HD or something like that.

Got a 1998 Giant ATX carbon frame - and put the Kestrel parts on it. Raced Marin knobular in semi pro class an suffered. I remember Gary Fisher passing me and thinking to myself how I just got passed by an old man. Raced the California Mountain Bike Championships in Briones (!) and won. Crashed hard - but so did the other guy - I took off when he went down and never looked back.

Got a 1998 GT Zaskar built up with XTR and Marzochi m2

Got a 1999 GT idrive. Raced Downieville DH on it in expert class and got 11th place - crashed twice. Raced Sea Otter XC on it.

I ended up breaking 15 of the idrive frames and began working with the engineering team at GT. They ended up creating the Ruckus and gave me one.

Bought a 2004 Foes FXR and built it up as a trail bike. it was 5.75" travel in back and 6" in front and weighed 28#'s. One of the best bikes I ever owned. Only broke it once.

Built a Intense M1 for DH - with a Super T and other stuff I had lying around. Was getting free stuff from Sram at the time - and got to test their early DH kit.

Built an Intense Tracer for XC and raced it at Cool. Took 5th place - even after having a flat and fixing it. Broke the frame eventually.

Got a 2005 Ventana El Saltamontes and raced that at Sea Otter and other races. Cracked the swing arm and ended up trading in for a custom one which they built with the tandem swing arm and extra gusseting.

Ventana is the reason I really started studying anti squat. That bike pedaled like shit- and I wanted to know why.

once I figured out anti squat - and the fact that the Ventana didn't have any - I bought a DW link Turner Flux. What a revelation!

It was built with a Fox32 Air and Sram XO stuff. Weighed about 24.5#'s in an XL. Only broke it once - but Turner repaired and repainted it for free.

Bought a used Foes Fly from Pete Fagerlin - to replace my Intense M1. I was mostly built when I got it - 888 and Sram stuff.

Bought a 27.5 Turner Flux to replace the 26 wheeled Flux.

Sold Petes Foes and got another Foes from a buddy. Same bike - just different.

Bought a 27.5 Turner Burner in 2014

Had Steve Potts build me a custom hard tail 29'er in 2015

This is not comprehensive - but it's a good list.

I've broken more than 25 mountain bike frames.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Nice shares so far folks. Get back in there with photos as you find them.

I edited my post so there's descriptions of the journey now. I stopped around 2010 since it got out of hand after that. Many more bikes for me and the fam
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Given I've been riding for some 30+ years, the list is surprisingly short...i ride them for a long time.

1. Yokota something or other. I think I had this for less than a month or so before getting the bug and moving on to number 2.
    2. Bridgestone MB3 - Loved that bike until I drove it into my parent's garage. Took the parts off, added a Bontrager fork on #3.
    3. Bridgestone MB1 - Miss that bike...kid rode it to Taco Bell where it was stolen from a group of bikes; thief knew what he was doing.
    4. Santa Cruz Superlight - still have it.
    5. Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc-still have it.
    6. Yeti SB5.5 - had it for about 5 months...love it.

mtbr member
    Cool posts. Nice to see a bit of history.

My post will be short as I've only had 3 bikes.

As a kid I had a GT Saddleback circa ~1998. From jr high through my first job post-college, until it was stolen in 2012.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-saddleback.jpg

For replacement I bought a 2012 GT Karakoram. A friend in Idaho kept dragging me out to the mtb trails until I started getting addicted. Went over the bars a LOT.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-karakoram.jpg

Finally sold the GT and bought a legit mountain bike in late 2015. My current workhorse, the yeti SB5. Here she is after a winter clean, right before we moved to the Bay.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-sb5.jpg

No other bikes except a cheap commuter which I never ride!

grinder
    Mountain biking for me started in 2012:
    1 - Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp Aluminum
    2 - Specialized Stumpjumper Expert HT
    Sold 1 and 2 to buy 3
    3 - '15 Santa Cruz Bronson
    Sold 3 to buy 4
    4 - '17 Santa Cruz Bronson

Wēk Sôs
    Nice shares so far folks. Get back in there with photos as you find them.

I edited my post so there's descriptions of the journey now. I stopped around 2010 since it got out of hand after that. Many more bikes for me and the fam
    You're the biggest bike whore in the thread. Damn, lots of bikes!

~~~
    Always a fun theme for a thread. I think we last did one in 2012. At least that's what popped up for me when I was searching for images.

1984 or so, my sister bought a mountain bike called a Mount Shasta. Pretty sure it wasn't a Kuwahara, but it looked very similar with the bullmoose bars and all. I don't remember much about it, but it was decked out with Taiwanese knock off versions of the Suntour and Shimano stuff from that era. Never got to take it off road. I took it to the school yard after school, and was robbed by some thugs.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-shasta.jpg
    (Image from web search)

1988/89 Miyata Valley Runner
    This was a hand me down from my brother. I remember it was equipped with a full Shimano Exage group. Bio-Pace and all! Upgraded part by part to make it more trail worthy. I used it for a summer as a bike messenger in the City, then took it with me to college. It served me well, and now it pains me that I can't remember what happened to that bike.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-miyata.jpg
    (Image from web search)

1994 SuperGo Access
    Handed down to me again from my brother after I returned from college. Didn't have to do much to the bike, since it was all ready built for dirt. But, man, cheap aluminum frame paired with a Rockshox Mag 21 was brutal!

1997 Santa Cruz Heckler
    Now that I had a real job, I was finally able to buy my own bike! Purchased a frameset and wheels on-line, and started wrenching away! MTBR was getting going, and I lurked and learned and wasted many hours on-line. Sold the frame when I "upgraded".

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-heckler.jpg

1997 VooDoo Bizango
    I always had a love for high end steel hardtails, but I could never afford one. Thanks to the internet now booming, I found a killer deal from an East Coast shop for a NOS Bizango frame. It was a really nice frame built with Tange tubing, before they went to Reynolds 853. I would have kept it, but I just didn't have a use for a hardtail with V-brakes any more. Didn't have time to part it out, and tried to practically give it away to friends, but no one jumped on it. It ended up with iheartbicycles because he wanted some of the parts, and was willing to put in the leg work to part it out.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-mbtb2010.jpg Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_1758.jpg

2002 Turner XCE
    Found on the mtbr classifieds. Really fun 4-inch travel Horst-link Turner that I bought after drinking the Turner Kool-Aid from the Turner forum. Sold the frame when I "upgraded".

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_0631.jpg

1997 Kelly Bonestock
    I didn't have a lot of riding buddies back then, and I was still too shy to jump into the mtbr forums to meet up and ride with people. My cycling connections in real life were my co-workers who were mainly roadies. I found a closeout deal again with a NOS True Temper steel frame, and so began my road riding career. Did several organized centuries, as well as the Death Ride, on this bike. After meeting more mountain bikers, it was easy to give up the roadie life style. Road bike was collecting dust, so I sold the frame when I "upgraded".

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-417698_3315048242018_1323232338_n.jpg

2005 Ellsworth Moment
    Found on the mtbr classifieds. Figured it would be a longer travel version of the XCE, and I could get rad on it. All I could remember was that it was plush. Sold the frame when I "upgraded".

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_3414.jpgBike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_5205.jpg

2002 Sycip Diesel SS
    Ah, the single speeding glory days. A friend was selling this sweet bike, and I just had to get it to try it out. Great ride, but it was too big for me. Sold the bike to someone who could appreciate the ride. The Bizango was still in my possession at the time, and I ended up converting that to a rigid SS.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_0927.jpg

2010 Santa Cruz Nomad
    Found on the mtbr classifieds. This was actually Anka Martin's bike. She was moving on the the NomadC, so had to sell her current bike after just a couple of races. This was a great bike that got me through many road trips, including Whistler. Ended up selling when I "upgraded".

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_8288.jpgBike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_0300.jpg

2012 Santa Cruz TRc
    After test riding FC's TRc on a big Demo ride, I knew that bike was awesome. I pulled the trigger when Santa Cruz had an on-line garage sale for the frame with shock. This bike fit me like a glove and really shined on all of our local trails. Ended up doing a crash replacement after a mishap at Downieville.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_1066.jpg

2012 Potts Ti 29er
    The timing was right to finally pull the trigger on a custom dream bike. Ordered in 2011, won a ribbon at NAHBS 2012, and I still ride it all the time. This ain't no garage queen!

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_8145.jpgBike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_8480-001.jpg

2013 Black Mountain Cross
    Now the road bike was still collecting dust, and I decided to sell the Kelly. I learned about Mike Varley and Black Mountain Cycles when I went up to Point Reyes to meet with Steve Potts. Fell in love with the old school/new school cross bike that could handle fat tires. It was a no brainer. I needed a bike like this in my stable, and I was able to transfer many parts from my road bike. I don't anticipate ever needing to sell this bike.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_0067-001.jpg

2015 Alliance Steel 27.5
    Ah, the slack short-stay trail hardtail glory days. There was an emptiness somewhere between the rigid 29er and the TRc that needed to be filled. Erik Rolfe was one of the few custom builders who was a proponent of long, low, slack early on. After researching production builds of many brands, I convinced myself that I needed another custom bike. I have not been disappointed, and happily ride this everywhere, including Demo and UC.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_1392.jpgBike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_6820.jpg

2016 Santa Cruz Bronson
    The untimely end to the TRc lead to a sweet crash replacement deal from Santa Cruz. The trail bike segment had changed so much, and still continues to change, for better or worse. This bike is the travel bike. The Tahoe/Downieville/rocky granite slab riding bike. This is the one bike that I can see myself parting with, probably because it is the bike that will most likely become outdated or irreparably damaged. But a bike like this will always be required in my stable.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-fullsizerender.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    First mountain bike was a Schwinn Sierra around 83 ,didn't ride it much off road it was a 10 speed with 1 to 1 gearing add long chain stays . The next was a Dorado that was 85 or 6 ,that I broke the frame at the drop out,it was warrantied. Next was a Fisher Montera in early 88 ,late 88 came a used Merlin ,WTB brakes ,Potts fork ,cook cranks , Sasla stem ,American Classic hubs Bontrager cut down Mavic's. Rode that around 8 years With many upgrades/changes Manitou forks King head set ,Hugi hub 7 speed xt. Sometime after the Merlin came a Santana mountain tandem,that didn't get ridden much. Next was a Ibis Zazabo ,didn't like it much so traded between riding it and the Merlin. In 07 Ibis made the Bow Ti ,the parts came off the the Zazabo on to a BowTIi frame . Rode that til 2003 when the frame broke. A Intense Spider came next wit most of the parts coming from the Bow Ti. Rode that til around 08 when the frame cracked ,Intense sold a crash replacement 5.5 ,again parts came from the Spider . Around then a Bianchi SASS came along rode that along with the 5.5 . I got word that John Casstellano with Steve Potts were fixing broken Bow Ti frames, so I had them do that. The Bow Ti became my single speed,with parts from the SASS. A girl friend had gotten a Mountain Klein given to her ,she didn't like it ,got a Trek . Ask her what she was going to with the Klein ,she said donate it ,I said could I have it,so she gave it to me. I don't know why I wanted it ,it's to small and from around 83. Next is the bike that I ride now,a Santa Cruz Tallboy. For those of you keeping track that's 3 broken frames one steel ,one Al and one Ti. I hope carbon isn't next.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    This is a great thread...let's get some more history on ya'll

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Bump

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Yeah, yeah...

Open up strangers. Let's hear your story.

fc
    IPA will save America

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Yeah, yeah...

Open up strangers. Let's hear your story.

fc
    I agree...I thought it was kinda fun looking back at my bikes from the past.

Paper or plastic?
    OK, here we go.

Started on a hardtail Nishiki (3x8) that a relative lent me. Rode that for a few years. Scared the beejesus out of me at JMP.

Around 2002-2003, bought a 2001 Stumpjumper FSR S-Works. 80mm of FSR suspension. Over time, replaced the Sid elastomer fork for a travel adjustable coil fork, changed the rear chain stay for one that would accommodate disc brakes, changed the rear link to get 100mm of travel, got disc wheels and some crappy BB5 disc brakes. Rode that sucker through 2005 (even at Northstar on V-brakes). Then I sold it for a

Titus Motolite. 125mm of sweet travel! 69 degree HA was the shiz back then. Gave it away to a coworker a couple years ago.

Somewhere around 2008, got a Titus El Guapo. Put a Lyrik on it and that is to this date the most fun bike I've had. It was a bit of a pig (32-33#), but oh so much fun to DH. I was hitting all kind of features on Corral/Braille with it. So easy to lift the front too.

Somewhere in there, I got a Soma 415 to try my hand at singlespeeding. I did not keep it that long. SS just hurt too much...

Replaced the 415 with another Soma hardtail frame and built a geared HT. Kept it for a few years. At the end of the day, I'm old and I need a rear suspension, so I sold it.

Got a Turner Spot DW link in 2010. I never really got along with this one. Rear suspension never felt particularly active or plush. Still have it as a back up.

Bought an Intense Carbine in 2012 (26"). The steed got upgraded with all kinds of carbon bits over time. Great bike and it's still my MTB (rode it this morning as a matter of fact). 150mm of rear travel, 160mm front. Nice, plush and active.

Got a cheap fat bike for the mountains a couple of years ago. My son rides it when we're up in the summer, and I use it in the winter. Finally rode it at Tahoe Donner XC last February when the snow was nice and cold. That was a lot of fun, and was impressed at how fast it rode on firm snow.

Finally, have a used Diverge for road/gravel.

Clearly, that's way too many bikes in 18 years...

I just wanna go fast!
    Ok, you want a story? Here's a story.

When I was little we lived within walking distance to the bottom of Noble Canyon Trail east of San Diego. As soon as he heard of one, my dad bought a Schwinn Cimarron mountain bike and as was the trend back in 1985, started riding UP noble canyon.

My dad being a cool guy, he also bought a matching one for my mom and I got the kids version(I was 5): a 1985 Schwinn Enduro 22" wheeled 5 speed mountain bike! It was a bit of a trip at first because there was no coaster brake. Yep, 5 years old and already enduro-ing.
    Name:  enduro.jpeg
Views: 274
Size:  10.2 KB

I spent the next 3 years getting that thing stuck in sand, popping tires on goatheads, shifting my chain too far past the easy gear and getting it stuck in the spokes and generally whining at my dad to help me push it up hills.

A few years later my dad had been riding with his brother and got the bug to upgrade. Boom, the whole family got matching 1988 Nishiki Colorados. These things had XT everything and even.... indexed shifting! Life changing. I was just a bit too small for the smallest frame, but since I was a growing by, my dad bought it anyway and the first year I had to do some acrobatics to climb up on to the bike. That didn't matter though, because sitting there looking at both front and rear shift levers perched on the handle bars, I felt like I was now piloting a jet fighter.
    Name:  83a7711f343491be38970b6051cdf642_full.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  33.2 KB

Now I was riding the trails around our house, but Noble Canyon was definitely still for the big kids. I remember the coolest upgrade you could get at the time was bitchin' tires to help climb gnarly hills. My dad got to treat himself to some awesome John Tomac signature Tigoa Farmer John Tires and later even switched to a Farmer John's Cousin up front. At the time I was convinced that's how my dad could climb up all those steep loose hills and I couldn't. Never crossed my mind it was because I was 8.

A few years later, I outgrew the Nishiki and my dad had upgraded yet again. Now he had a 1990 21 speed diamond back apex. This bike was sick because instead of thumb shifters, he now had these cool trigger shifters and 7 whole gears in the back. I started making claims that I could totally keep up if I just had a 21 speed. I like to think he caved because of my persuasive argument, but I think it's more likely that I just didn't fit on the old nishiki any more.
    It kinda looked like this but without the bar ends (those were not a thing yet in 1990)
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-ss850213.jpg

This is the bike that I was actually old enough to do real mountain biking on for the next three years. I rode mammoth, northstar, noble canyon, moab, all up around cuyamaca and mt. laguna in san diego, went to the Julian Fat Tire Festival and even did a 32 mile organized ride called the Coyote Klunker Classic a few times down in the desert after getting some super cool extra wide 2.1 tires. I also modified the heck out of this bike- I saved up enough to buy some control tech bar ends, power grip straps for the pedals and even a trek DS2 suspension fork once suspension forks came out. I just realized that I only had that bike for three years but I have a ton of memories on it.

1993 rolled around and suddenly I was tall and wanted to be an XC racing badass. Both my dad and I were looking to upgrade to fancy new bikes and we both had some cash saved up, but while he went after this new fangled full suspension trek, I was all about super light weight and putting down the power so I went after a GT Avalanche hardtail. This thing was dialed. Rock Shox Mag21 fork, XT everything and some mavic wheels painted to match my awesome fork. It was so all about saving weight that it had a bolt instead of a quick release for a seat post collar. This bike lived in the house as long as my mom would tolerate it and I obsessively washed it after every ride to get that GT polished aluminum shine.
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_20120911_160748.jpg

I did poker runs in Cuyamaca and Julian, climbed up to and rode down noble canyon, the Sagebrush safari(I remember getting passed by Tinker Juarez on the final climb and being blown away that he was finished the pro loop before I had done the sport loop) and even a did my first National DH race. This bike went to mammoth, tahoe and then... I got old enough to drive and holy crap was 4 wheeling a jeep cool.. and woah, I got a girlfriend. That was it. Didn't ride much, no more money for bikes. This was the bike I took with me to college. Didn't even ride much there, just the occasional attempt at a stair gap, woodchip pile... For some reason, my 180 lb college jump hucking self kept breaking parts on the bike he bought when he was 13 looking to race XC... Suddenly after 8 years, I decided I needed a new bike.

I got more bikes after that, but I think this might have gotten a little long winded.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Very nice. Add in photos when you find the time. Aka... pretending to work. There's an iphone app called 'PhotoScan' which digitizes your old polaroids nicely.
    IPA will save America

I just wanna go fast!
    Very nice. Add in photos when you find the time. Aka... pretending to work. There's an iphone app called 'PhotoScan' which digitizes your old polaroids nicely.
    I have a ton back at my parents house... some are a little embarrassing though. I remember one picture in particular that has me in Moab with a bright pink and white zebra print Etto helmet, some Neon green and white gatorz and braces.

I have another one from college, too cool for wearing a helmet, but wearing gloves, jeans and a white shirt hitting a stair gap on my poor 26 lb. 1993 GT.

lol

Next time I got back to San Diego, I'll grab some pictures.

SOG
    mtbr member
    Fisher CR-7
    Dagger
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Santa Cruz Bullit
    Santa Cruz Chameleon - 1st DJ/slalom bike
    Storm DH bike
    Karpiel Hillbilly DJ
    Mountain Cycle Sin
    Supercross DJ
    Balfa BB7
    Nemesis Project DJ
    Tonic Fabrication Howie DJ
    Santa Cruz VP Free
    Santa Cruz Highball
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 2
    Santa Cruz Hightower - current trail Bike
    Green Bicycles DJ - current DJ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdamschen View Post
    I was all about super light weight and putting down the power so I went after a GT Avalanche hardtail.
    Funny that your dream bike back then is now my city bike that I ride around b/c it is not a magnet for thieves - these must have had quite the following back in the day though b/c one time I rode it to a shop (to buy parts for my trail bike) where one of the mechanics went apesh!t over it and he showed me his GT tattoo and gave me a huge discount just b/c I had that bike!

fRIDEday makes me happy!
    My first mountain bike was a Schwinn Impact back in 1989. I bought it from a kid that had just moved from the Cali to the east coast, you did not see many mountain bikes in NJ at this time. It was heavy and huge but I rode the crap out of that thing.

Schwinn Impact 1989
    Trek 8000 1991 Aerospace glued aluminum frame
    Trek 9800 1996 What a dream ride, still have it!
    took a break from riding due to many reasons then moved to Cali
    Scott Spark 2010 First full sus. (broke it)
    Jamis Dakar xcr 2012 (broke it)
    Cannondale synapse 3 2013 First real road bike
    Specialized Epic Expert 2015 First 29er

So not as many bikes as some and everyone was fun in it's own way.

mtbr member
    I had a 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara, bought stock, ran it for years upgrading the fork, drivetrain, wheels, bars, brakes. By the time I was done with it I only kept the original headset races and frame.
    Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_20130413_203943.jpg

I rode this bike around the Colorado Front Range, Oak Ridge and Bend, and finally NorCal. I gave it a top to bottom overhaul, fresh rubber and other wear items, and sold it off to an East Bay kid for the price of the tires in 2013. He was stoked, hope he still is.

Had to make room for my new baby:

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_20161226_112901.jpg

It got carbon LightBicycle wheels in 2016, and switched to 1x10, did a fit4 damper upgrade, and new 9poin8 dropper last year.

A in 2014 for xmas years later I added a gravel/commuter/utility/allaround to my collection:

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_20150905_173455222_hdr.jpg

Spent the last 2-3 years commuting to work on this thing daily. Love the IGH, though since most of it's use is in SF city commuting I'm pretty overgeared. Happy using it as a 3speed when I'm not on fireroads.

There's also a roadbike in there ca.2003, but it doesn't get much use these days.

gobsmacked Moderator

When I was little we lived within walking distance to the bottom of Noble Canyon Trail east of San Diego. As soon as he heard of one, my dad bought a Schwinn Cimarron mountain bike and as was the trend back in 1985, started riding UP noble canyon.

My dad being a cool guy, he also bought a matching one for my mom and I got the kids version(I was 5): a 1985 Schwinn Enduro 22" wheeled 5 speed mountain bike! It was a bit of a trip at first because there was no coaster brake. Yep, 5 years old and already enduro-ing.
    Name:  enduro.jpeg
Views: 274
Size:  10.2 KB

I spent the next 3 years getting that thing stuck in sand, popping tires on goatheads, shifting my chain too far past the easy gear and getting it stuck in the spokes and generally whining at my dad to help me push it up hills.

A few years later my dad had been riding with his brother and got the bug to upgrade. Boom, the whole family got matching 1988 Nishiki Colorados. These things had XT everything and even.... indexed shifting! Life changing. I was just a bit too small for the smallest frame, but since I was a growing by, my dad bought it anyway and the first year I had to do some acrobatics to climb up on to the bike. That didn't matter though, because sitting there looking at both front and rear shift levers perched on the handle bars, I felt like I was now piloting a jet fighter.
    Name:  83a7711f343491be38970b6051cdf642_full.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  33.2 KB

Now I was riding the trails around our house, but Noble Canyon was definitely still for the big kids. I remember the coolest upgrade you could get at the time was bitchin' tires to help climb gnarly hills. My dad got to treat himself to some awesome John Tomac signature Tigoa Farmer John Tires and later even switched to a Farmer John's Cousin up front. At the time I was convinced that's how my dad could climb up all those steep loose hills and I couldn't. Never crossed my mind it was because I was 8.

A few years later, I outgrew the Nishiki and my dad had upgraded yet again. Now he had a 1990 21 speed diamond back apex. This bike was sick because instead of thumb shifters, he now had these cool trigger shifters and 7 whole gears in the back. I started making claims that I could totally keep up if I just had a 21 speed. I like to think he caved because of my persuasive argument, but I think it's more likely that I just didn't fit on the old nishiki any more.
    It kinda looked like this but without the bar ends (those were not a thing yet in 1990)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SS850213.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	1152253

This is the bike that I was actually old enough to do real mountain biking on for the next three years. I rode mammoth, northstar, noble canyon, moab, all up around cuyamaca and mt. laguna in san diego, went to the Julian Fat Tire Festival and even did a 32 mile organized ride called the Coyote Klunker Classic a few times down in the desert after getting some super cool extra wide 2.1 tires. I also modified the heck out of this bike- I saved up enough to buy some control tech bar ends, power grip straps for the pedals and even a trek DS2 suspension fork once suspension forks came out. I just realized that I only had that bike for three years but I have a ton of memories on it.

1993 rolled around and suddenly I was tall and wanted to be an XC racing badass. Both my dad and I were looking to upgrade to fancy new bikes and we both had some cash saved up, but while he went after this new fangled full suspension trek, I was all about super light weight and putting down the power so I went after a GT Avalanche hardtail. This thing was dialed. Rock Shox Mag21 fork, XT everything and some mavic wheels painted to match my awesome fork. It was so all about saving weight that it had a bolt instead of a quick release for a seat post collar. This bike lived in the house as long as my mom would tolerate it and I obsessively washed it after every ride to get that GT polished aluminum shine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120911_160748.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	1152261

I did poker runs in Cuyamaca and Julian, climbed up to and rode down noble canyon, the Sagebrush safari(I remember getting passed by Tinker Juarez on the final climb and being blown away that he was finished the pro loop before I had done the sport loop) and even a did my first National DH race. This bike went to mammoth, tahoe and then... I got old enough to drive and holy crap was 4 wheeling a jeep cool.. and woah, I got a girlfriend. That was it. Didn't ride much, no more money for bikes. This was the bike I took with me to college. Didn't even ride much there, just the occasional attempt at a stair gap, woodchip pile... For some reason, my 180 lb college jump hucking self kept breaking parts on the bike he bought when he was 13 looking to race XC... Suddenly after 8 years, I decided I needed a new bike.

I got more bikes after that, but I think this might have gotten a little long winded.
    Your dad sounds awesome.

~~~

No way. That was awesome. Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Had to think about this one. I Started with a Hardrock that I traded in my Dyno BMX bike in for plus a few hundred I earned landscaping when I was 13. Then followed by 2 rockhoppers I remember liking the one with Ritchey as the alloy. Around this time I started working for the LBS and had much better access to good bikes. Stumpy FSR-XC, 2 Enduro’s man those Hayes brakes were a game changer, C-dale Jekyl which had their in house CODA brakes that would likely never stop you, Azonic DS1 still have this will probably never get rid of it been through about 3 different configs, Rocky Mountain Slayer I remember this had the inverted (maybe carbon?) Manitou fork, Rocky Mountain Switch never cared for this bike, Stumpy M2 ht which ended up as an around town bike and now I have my current Yeti Asr5c.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Bump

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Bump
    Yeah bump. Not old school but I got a new bike! The seat tilts up when the seatpost goes down. Science... or weird science.Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-img_0222.jpg
    IPA will save America

Trail Gnome Moderator
    ^^^Does that dropper require your body weight to drop, or does it drop by using the lever? I saw a video of someone using it...it seemed to be different than the older ones?

fc
    stoked Administrator
    ^^^Does that dropper require your body weight to drop, or does it drop by using the lever? I saw a video of someone using it...it seemed to be different than the older ones?
    Like all dropper posts, this one requires your body weight to drop. On a recent video of this post by media, the up action was slowed down and the video was reversed. Very deceiving.

This one is 35mm diameter and undamped/jackhammer.
    IPA will save America

PRETENDURO
    Buncha jerks! Thanks to drinking beer, I will now list the bikes (NO PICTURES NECESSARY!!!) I have owned, over the years (in chronological order of purchase/ownership), purchased with my own money:
    • 1983 Peugeot P.O.C. mountain bike
    • 1985 Specialized Rockhopper Comp mountain bike (a friend of mine still owns and rides this bike!!!)
    • 1986 Trek 1200 aluminum frame roadbike
    • 1993 Trek 2100 carbon frame roadbike
    • 2005 Scattante carbon frame roadbike
    • 2008 Ridley Damocles carbon frame roadbike

(my “downfall” into the MTB world)

• 2010 Marin aluminum hardtail 29er
    • 2009 Surly 1x1 11th Anniversary Edition “Rat Ride” Limited Edition MTB (only made 333 of them I believe – I still own this bike)
    • 2006 Mensocycle (Santa Cruz Superlight full-squish mountain bike) - one of the bikes Menso raced during his high school racing years
    • 2010 Surly Big Dummy cargobike
    • 2010 Surly Pugsley fatbike
    • 2011 Leader LD-510 “cheapster” $100 aluminum frame XC bike
    • 2011 9:zero:7 fatbike
    • 2012 On-One Inbred 29er (had a custom-built Cannondale Lefty fork/wheel build made for it) – Dion the man inspired me
    • 2013 9:zero:7 fatbike (partially built, wondering whether to build a San Jose Bike Party bike out of it or sell the frame and misc. attached parts)
    • 2014 Borealis Echo fatbike (still own this one)
    • Year unknown PRC carbon 29er XC previously owned by Sir Chicken Legs (still own this one)
    • 2016 9:zero:7 fatbike (still own this one – has been my Cat1 SS race bike for two seasons)
    • 2017 eBay PRC 120mm dual-suspension fatbike - in the process of procuring parts for the build
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Buncha jerks! Thanks to drinking beer, I will now list the bikes (NO PICTURES NECESSARY!!!) I have owned, over the years (in chronological order of purchase/ownership), purchased with my own money:
    • 1983 Peugeot P.O.C. mountain bike
    • 1985 Specialized Rockhopper Comp mountain bike (a friend of mine still owns and rides this bike!!!)
    • 1986 Trek 1200 aluminum frame roadbike
    • 1993 Trek 2100 carbon frame roadbike
    • 2005 Scattante carbon frame roadbike
    • 2008 Ridley Damocles carbon frame roadbike

(my “downfall” into the MTB world)

• 2010 Marin aluminum hardtail 29er
    • 2009 Surly 1x1 11th Anniversary Edition “Rat Ride” Limited Edition MTB (only made 333 of them I believe – I still own this bike)
    • 2006 Mensocycle (Santa Cruz Superlight full-squish mountain bike) - one of the bikes Menso raced during his high school racing years
    • 2010 Surly Big Dummy cargobike
    • 2010 Surly Pugsley fatbike
    • 2011 Leader LD-510 “cheapster” $100 aluminum frame XC bike
    • 2011 9:zero:7 fatbike
    • 2012 On-One Inbred 29er (had a custom-built Cannondale Lefty fork/wheel build made for it) – Dion the man inspired me
    • 2013 9:zero:7 fatbike (partially built, wondering whether to build a San Jose Bike Party bike out of it or sell the frame and misc. attached parts)
    • 2014 Borealis Echo fatbike (still own this one)
    • Year unknown PRC carbon 29er XC previously owned by Sir Chicken Legs (still own this one)
    • 2016 9:zero:7 fatbike (still own this one – has been my Cat1 SS race bike for two seasons)
    • 2017 eBay PRC 120mm dual-suspension fatbike - in the process of procuring parts for the build
    Pics aren't necessary but, it certainly adds to the thread. It's fun to look back at how bikes, and the set ups have changed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    EASY. short list very humble beginning..and a slow damn start apparently.

BridgeStone MB-3
    Proflex 855 (or something)
    Speccialized FSR 1999
    Current - Santa Cruz 5010.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Mid 80's>Early 90's
    Murray
    Ross Mt. St Helens
    CyclePro Skyline

Early 90's Military in Japan
    Fuji
    Miyata Elevation 300

Mid 90's - 2001
    95 Stumpjumper FS A1

Current
    Kustom Kruisers Roadster
    Giant Defy 3
    2012 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 8

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Had a slew of 20" bikes growing up, even a few old school 10 speeds along the way too. I have great memories as a teen getting driven up to the top of Mt Diablo and road racing my friends down the hill. Learned how to work on them very young since I seem to ride and break them often. I transitioned away from the BMX bikes when I got my first real job and needed to get to/from work. That started my interest in mountain bikes.

1987 Trek 950 Singletrack rigid all steel frame. Rode many 40, 50, and 60 mile rides with that bike. Sold it to a friend when I got into cars after about 5 years.

1997 Trek zx6500 Aluminum frame, rock shox forks. Bike is still in the family but is in poor shape. Its hardly rideable.

2007 Gary Fisher Hi-Fi plus full suspension. Put about 1000 miles on it and cracked the frame. It was replaced by a 2010 Trek Top Fuel 8. Used it more as a road bike, even made it up to the summit of Diablo sometime in 2011. Didn't ride it much off road so I sold it to buy a road fitness bike.

Currently own 2 bikes:
    2016 Sirrus Pro Carbon flat bar road/fitness bike. I love it and ride it often but got the bug to get back out onto mtb trails.

I bought a leftover new stock 2016 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 650b in July of this year. Great bike and I enjoy riding it, just hate that any decent singletrack is at least 40 mins away by car.

Looking to pick up a 29er hardtail in a few months to add to my collection.

Riding has been a lifelong obsession, it is my personal form of self therapy. The more I ride, the better I feel about myself and everything in my life.

Funny when I realize every 10 years I buy a new mtb. I guess I was due this year.

Co Springs
    The white Cotton Picker Crate bike was an Easter present in the early 1970's. I was 10 or 11 maybe. (Borrowed photo) My guess is the bike was around $75.

Around the age of 15, I got my first bike purchased with my own savings...$185.00 or thereabouts for a 1976 or so Viscount aerospace aluminum Grand Touring road bike like this pictured in light blue. It got a lot of use in those early driving years when I found multiple offenses for losing driving privileges. My ability to get in trouble was not limited by horsepower, that of the 68 VW Bug or the 74 Jeep CJ-5. The Viscount lasted me into early marriage.

In 1991 and a few years after dispersing the Viscount in a rummage sale, I had bike fever for a Specialized HardRock, teal or blue-green ? I think the brochure said it was turquoise. $330

The two bikes pictured together are my last purchases, blue and the orange/red. By 2003 and a few years in Colorado, I felt a fork suspension would make me look legit. Kona NuNu in blue $650 discounted to $450, a model year old or more. it's pictured with my latest bike the orange/red Marin Pine Mtn One.

Pine Mtn purchased almost 6 months ago, wanted a simple, general purpose bike and something somewhat updated. Was happy to get everything I wanted at $200 off list or $1099.
    Still have those last three bikes. No hate for anything old or 26".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-dscn0172.jpg  

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-2017-08-20-02.20.42_resized.jpg  

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-20170317_094954_zpskaksassa%5B1%5D.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

orthonormal
    1985 Mongoose ATB, came with SunTour MounTech derailleurs, the first MTB-specific setup. Too big but it got me started
    1987 Bridgestone MB-3. I loved this bike. Stolen in 1991 leading to...
    1991 Specialized Stumpjumper, later added a Manitou 3 fork and got started XC racing until I got a bro deal from a team sponsor leading to...
    1994 Dean Colonel. Another bike I really loved. I should have kept it but sold it to buy a...
    1996 Ellsworth FS2/XC. FS was a revelation but my love for it and the company ended when it broke and I made a warranty claim.
    2000 Ventana La Bruja. 6" travel with one of the original hand milled Marzocchi Super Ts up front. Had a lot of fun on that until a major (unrelated) injury led me to sell for something more XC friendly
    2000 Some dude won a Bianchi BuSS at a race raffle and didn't want it. I gave him $400 and got started singlespeeding
    2002 Specialized Enduro FSR. Meh.
    2004 Ventana El Chamuco. Fun single pivot but that pedal kickback made e want to try a...
    2005 Ventana El Commandante. Time for a SS upgrade, first 29er. Still own, might sell, might give to daughter.
    2006 Iron Horse Hollowpoint MK3. DW Link was cool, implementation left a lot to be desired. Sod it and bought a used...
    2005 Turner Six Pack. Horst. Sucked up everything. Pushed shock stuck to the ground like glue. Fun in Washington, not so much at Ft. Ord
    2010 Specialized Epic. XC bike for Ft. Ord. Didn't like it much.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude. On the 27.5 bandwagon. Still own
    2016 Spot Rocker 27.5+ belt drive SS. I love this bike. Very much. Even more since I swapped the 120mm Reba for a 140mm Pike
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Bump

mtbr member
    A'ight, I'll play. No old school photos though.

I started on a Jamis rigid bike in 1993, then got a Nukeproof Stealth in 1999. Rode on and off during those years. Quit riding (moved to Florida) in 2002 and didn't ride again until 2013. Bought myself a used Norco Range SE and mostly liked it, but it was too much bike for me at this stage of my riding.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-norco-range.jpg

Ended up deciding to get back to basics and built my first bike, a Canfield Yelli Screamy, after receiving several recommendations on this forum. Rode this bike for almost two years.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-yelli-screamy.jpg

I eventually ended up selling the Norco and salivating over the Yeti SB6. I bought the parts over the course of four months and eventually started assembling it in March of 2016. This was the ultimate complement to the Yelli and I'm still loving it. More efficient pedaling platform than the Norco and bigger wheels.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-yeti-sb6.jpg

About four months ago I ended up selling the Yelli (old man back just can't take the hardtail anymore) and building a Tallboy 3. I feel like I've got the ultimate quiver for Norcal now. And yes, my wife nearly killed me when she saw this frame in the garage.

Bike anthology - let's hear about bikes you've owned-tallboy-3.jpg