Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Paper or plastic?

Bigtrees/Fuzzy passed last night

One of ours left us for a better place last night. Bigtrees (name taken after his favorite trail in JMP) or Fuzzy (his adoptive Marin nickname) lost his valiant fight against cancer. I take comfort in that he was surrounded by all his friends right until the end.

I met Eric 10 years ago during one of those weekly night rides posted on MTBR. We were doing a timed hill climb at Chabot on Brandon. He lived in the east bay back then. We quickly befriended and started riding together on a regular basis. Eric introduced me to the joys of riding singletrack (I was a noob perfectly happy to ride Chabot fireroads back then). I distinctly remember how scared I was going down Cinderella the first time he took me through Joaquin Miller Park.

In 2005, we even raced at Sea Otter. We then went to Downieville for the first time with EBrider (whom we also met on this board), and had a great time realizing how much faster than us Mark Weir went.

Eric and EBrider clowning on the way up
    Eric Steve 2005.jpg

Eric, EBrider, some stranger and I at Packer Saddle.
    Downieville 2005.jpg

Eric taking a fall at the waterfall.
    Eric fall Dville 2005.jpg

Eric loved riding and enjoyed the social aspect as much as the ride itself. He was always ready for a break and some BSing, which really worked out well for my slow self. That same year, we did an IMBA epic ride in Tahoe (Tahoe City to Western States to Watson lake to TRT back down to Tahoe City). I bonked miserably before Watson lake so we took a nap by the lake. Good times.

Hereís Eric during that ride:
    Eric Tahoe 8-28-05 14.jpg
    Eric glass trail 8-28-05 28.jpg

He later moved to Marin, and we kept in contact regularly even if we could not ride together as much. He would often send me the tales of his epic night rides around Marin by e-mail . He showed me around his backyard behind China Camp. Eric loved tight single track that required finesse and power. He was a great aggressive technical rider, and one of his favorite rides was Oat Hill. While we talked about him showing me around, we unfortunately never got around to it.

When he got diagnosed with stage 4 cancer 3 years ago, he decided that he would fight and keep living. He rode with our group in the Sierra in 2012 and 2013. While he was not as strong as he once was, he was as determined as ever to get to the top to enjoy a sweet downhill.

Pics from our 2012 and 2013 rides.
    Bigtrees/Fuzzy passed last night-eric-yogi-2012.jpgBigtrees/Fuzzy passed last night-eric-trucke-super-d-2012.jpgBigtrees/Fuzzy passed last night-eric-jc-up-dlrt-2012.jpgBigtrees/Fuzzy passed last night-eric-group-pic-yogi-overlook.jpgBigtrees/Fuzzy passed last night-eric-2012-truckee.jpgBigtrees/Fuzzy passed last night-mills-peak-2013.jpg

His fight with cancer got a bit of coverage after MBA wrote an article about him early this year (April edition I think). He broke his wrist earlier this year and did not make it to our 2014 get together. Even after cancer started getting the upper hand over the summer, he maintained his desire to enjoy the moment and his friends. I was lucky enough to go see him a couple times recently and both times, his small apartment was filled with people hanging out and taking care of him.

He was a good guy and an inspiration all the way to the end. Iím better off for having known him and sad to see him gone.

So long Bigtrees.

Eric above Tahoe 8-28-05 23.jpg
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This is so terribly sad. I was lucky enough to ride with Eric a few times. He always had such a great attitude. He will be missed. Life is short and precious, we often forget that.

GMM
    mtbr member
    Thanks for posting. I enjoyed meeting Eric and spending time with him on our last couple of Tahoe trips. He had a warm and easy spirit, and was really just a genuine good guy.

swag ho Administrator
    Rest in Peace Eric. Cheers to good pants and a life well sorted.

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bigtrees/Fuzzy passed last night-1.jpg  

Bigtrees/Fuzzy passed last night-3.jpg  

Bigtrees/Fuzzy passed last night-6.jpg  

Bigtrees/Fuzzy passed last night-920x680.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I rode with Eric a few times at JMP, great person.
    RIP Eric, hope your riding sweet endless singletrack!
    my B+W landscape photos ....www.f45.com

Feeling a little taller
    Farewell my friend. You will be missed.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

jrm
    mtbr member
    Rip
    Attached Images Attached Images

pewpewpew Moderator
    Sorry to hear. We rode together years ago.
    Love, Impy

mtbr member
    Sad news but a nice look back on a well lived life. My condolences to family and friends.
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Condolences to his family and friends. May he ride hero dirt for the rest of eternity.

mtbr member
    You know he inspired a lot of people who never met him, including myself.

mtbr member
    Gone way too soon. I was fortunate enough to share a few rides with him and it was always a privilege. The riding he did the last couple years should be an inspiration for many.
    Are we putting air in the tires today?

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Sorry to hear the bad news, but it sounds like he led a good life.

RIP

(Ride in Peace)
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

Paper or plastic?
    One more fun tidbit about Eric. He came to CA by riding his bike with a couple friends from NY in the late 70s.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

It's about showing up.
    My condolences to all family and friends.

As for the rest of us, great riding buds are worth their weight in gold.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I met Eric many years ago on a Team Hamana night ride in Marin...those fuzzy shorts. Even though I really didn't know him, his story is heart breaking. My father is battling prostate cancer too...I know his day will come soon. Life is short people, enjoy it while you can.

my body breaks the falls
    Thanks for sharing Eric's story. I only knew him through your stories and those on MTBR, but I still feel like we all lost a friend. Nicely written piece.
    My condolences to his friends and family.
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

Weird huh?
    Vaya con Dios Eric.
    And don't do the burrito jump... Francois

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I rode with Eric a few times ,he was always in good spirits . I hope he's riding hero dirt somewhere .

mtbr member
    Ride on to endless singletrack Fuzzy. You will be missed.

Like a boss.

love + magic

Thanks Zorg for the beautiful write-up; I hope to see you again soon!

There's so much to say but right now I don't really have the energy to type it. The last few months have been really hard but it has been an enormous privilege to be a part of a community that gave its all, all for Fuzzy. My husband Brian said it well:

Yesterday was one of if not the most humbling experience of my life - guiding a dear friend into the other side. I will never forget his infectious soul and caring demeanor. All he wanted was to make those around him happy and share what he could. He taught me a whole other way to enjoy the mountain bike. Make each ride count, make it magical.
    Fuzzy brought magic to everything he did - rides, food, song, dance, LIFE. There are so many who will live twice as long and yet not live half as much. The older I get the more valuable - and rare - I realize these lessons are.

Fuzzy passed peacefully, surrounded by his family and friends who loved him so much. We were all with him and he knew he was not alone, and that we will carry him with us forever. I have to give a special shout-out to Ken and Dana - their devotion to Fuzzy over the past few months has been one of the most moving things I've ever witnessed. With their care, and that of his larger community, I'm confident that we did everything in our power to improve both the quality and quantity of his final months.

Some of my fav photos from the past few months:

Rush Creek party stop:
    Bigtrees/Fuzzy passed last night-10380168_10203165757957864_4881968502294674188_o.jpg

Smiles at China Camp:
    Bigtrees/Fuzzy passed last night-10420221_10154711454685456_4376554440046562757_n.jpg

Makin' meatballs!
    Bigtrees/Fuzzy passed last night-10384207_10154711454445456_2991219144477870119_n.jpg

Riding in Sedona (Ken, Dana, Brian, and Hunter took him to Sedona 2 weeks ago for a "bucket list" trip - deserving of its own post)
    Bigtrees/Fuzzy passed last night-10556469_10205135867499993_8213435044953293722_n.jpg

Video from Sedona:
    Fuzzy on Vimeo

Video from the last ride I did with him, a few weeks ago in China Camp:
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...30232587253018

I love you, Fuzzy. I miss you. Thank you for everything, and please keep an eye on us when we're out there. I'll see you on the other side (I bet it's all awesome, technical downhill there).

If anyone is interested in attending a celebration of Fuzzy's life this Thursday evening, please PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

Like a boss.
    nevermind, I fixed the video link
    Last edited by Piranha426; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:03 AM. Reason: I'm tired
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thank you for sharing. I wish knew him.
    --
    Check out the Bear Yuba Land Trust trails program
    http://www.bylt.org/index.php/trails/

mtbr member
    Fuzzy sure sounds like a guy all us would have been better off knowing. So hard to see somebody go but it was his time. I wish I had known him because reading what you are all saying about him, I would have liked him a bunch. To the people who took care of him in his final months and moments, God bless you. I am sure he was comforted to have you loving him and putting him at ease in his final time. Sometimes it is the chance meeting with a fellow rider that can change your life, sounds like Fuzzy met a lot of people and did just that. Life is short, take the time to live it like Fuzzy did.
    They never made the "Slowster"

aka baycat
    Hope he is poaching some great tracks up there

RIP Fuzzy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast