Cheesiest

Best way to ride from ART to Auburn?

I'm looking for advice on the safest and most enjoyable route from the American River Trail to Auburn. I've lived in Sacto for about 6 mos and have ridden GB a bunch of times and Salmon Falls once. My only form of transportation is a hardtail 29er, so I need to ride all the way.

It seems the most obvious route is to head to GB and work my way to Auburn from there. Any other potential routes I am missing?

Thanks
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

Dropshot Champ!
    do you want to ride dirt there or connect via roads? The dirt from sacramento to folsom bike is all illegal, except for the south side of the natoma loop, but nothing is patrolled from old sacramento to hazel.

Once you hit the top of granite bay, I'd suggest heading out to Auburn-Folsom and taking the road up. Pioneer Trail between Auburn and Granite Bay (as well as the north side of natoma) was recently awarded a grant for patrols. I was stopped and threatened with a whopping 800$ ticket, so play it smart. I wouldn't poach on a friday/sat/sunday.

A potential route you're missing is from sacramento to folsom, dyke8/browns ravine / falcons crest / sweet water / either SFART+Cronan or Salmon Falls + Rattlesnake Bar / Olmstead / Auburn.

We did this route a few weeks ago as a bikepacking trip and I wouldn't suggest it as a one day epic. We made it to auburn by dark, but there's no way we had the energy to actually ride much of auburn by the end of the day.

Hope this helps, have fun man!

Cheesiest
    Thanks for the reply! Where did you end up camping? I've though of trying to do something similar as a bikepacking trip.

Do you have a map or tracks of the Brown's, Dyke8 - Salmon Falls connection?
    Last edited by intheways; 03-22-2013 at 03:17 PM.
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    Tough one. It will be a loong day.

You would have to (obviously) ride Folsom-Auburn Rd, past Granite Bay, and make your way.

If you are going to the Riding Areas, past the actual City of Auburn, you will want to continue on the back roads to Foresthill bridge (don't look down) and onward to the trailheads.

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    Tough one. It will be a loong day.

You would have to (obviously) ride Folsom-Auburn Rd, past Granite Bay, and make your way.

If you are going to the Riding Areas, past the actual City of Auburn, you will want to continue on the back roads to Foresthill bridge (don't look down) and onward to the trailheads.
    Not quite, you can get to legal dirt in south auburn near the fairgrounds. Overlook park is the easiest place I know but I'm sure there are other spots as well.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Where did you end up camping? I've though of trying to do something similar as a bikepacking trip.
    original plans called for peninsula campground at the end of salmon falls, but that would make day2 very hard. Plus it is closed for the season. Next plans were just gunna be to camp off the trail in Cool, close to water/food, etc. We ended up on a buddys property a few blocks from auburn alehouse. I sent you a pm with more info.

Cheesiest
    Thanks for l the replies. This one might need to be a two day ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    do you want to ride dirt there or connect via roads? The dirt from sacramento to folsom bike is all illegal, except for the south side of the natoma loop, but nothing is patrolled from old sacramento to hazel.

Once you hit the top of granite bay, I'd suggest heading out to Auburn-Folsom and taking the road up. Pioneer Trail between Auburn and Granite Bay (as well as the north side of natoma) was recently awarded a grant for patrols. I was stopped and threatened with a whopping 800$ ticket, so play it smart. I wouldn't poach on a friday/sat/sunday.

A potential route you're missing is from sacramento to folsom, dyke8/browns ravine / falcons crest / sweet water / either SFART+Cronan or Salmon Falls + Rattlesnake Bar / Olmstead / Auburn.

We did this route a few weeks ago as a bikepacking trip and I wouldn't suggest it as a one day epic. We made it to auburn by dark, but there's no way we had the energy to actually ride much of auburn by the end of the day.

Hope this helps, have fun man!
    Is there a legal dirt way from Olmstead to the confluence or would one have to ride the road or poach?
    :wq

mtbr member

Best way to ride from ART to Auburn?

Quote Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
    Is there a legal dirt way from Olmstead to the confluence or would one have to ride the road or poach?
    The poach is actually very easy and fun. There is two different routes available. One drops down through Cool Cave in to the Quarry Trail. I have done this trail. It is rough and fun.
    The other drops out on to Hwy49 at the confluence. Never done this route, but friends say its flowy and fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    The poach is actually very easy and fun. There is two different routes available. One drops down through Cool Cave in to the Quarry Trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think I rode this one when I was young - like 14 or so. My friends and I rode Olmstead and my buddies dad was supposed to pick us up. He didn't. And he wasn't home (and cell phones, well...yeah). So we rode down 49 to the quarry, found some trail and rode down it to the bottom. It dumped us out on Quarry trail and out of the parking area to the bridge, where friends dad was waiting.
    :wq