Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best trails for after a rain

6K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  chudaman 
#1 · (Edited)
I did some searches but didn't see any good compilation of norcal trails and how they handle rain. I'll rank a few of my trails and hopefully others will follow suit. Feel free to disagree.
Ranking: 1-5 stars
1 star= total slop for weeks after a drizzle
3 stars= wont be fun for 2-3 days or so after
5 stars= could ride with confidence after a monsoon

Skeggs: 1 star on BB, SM, and Resolution, maybe 2 for the fire roads
Russian ridge: 3 stars with a few 1 star sections hawk and ancient oaks,
Water dog lake: 2 stars
Montara mtn: 3 stars, fire road 5 stars
Tamarancho: 2- 3 stars
China Camp: 5 stars

Saratoga gap: ?
Annadel: ?
Henry Coe: ?

#2 ·
Oat Mine-Calistoga - 5
Annadel - 3 on average
Boggs - 4

some trails in Annadel can handle a good amount of rain and traffic, but in no way can it soak up rain like Santa Cruz trails and not as consistently rocky like Tamarancho. it gets worse later in the seaon when soil is saturated.

#3 ·
That's funny. Skeggs is near the top of my list for fun biking that handles rain well. I've ridden there during downpours during long wet sections of the winter. Sandstone soil and nearly no real mud. Only problem is the creek crossing on Methuselah.

Coe is not great after rain - not to mention that the singletracks are closed for 48 hrs after 0.5" of rain - and the fireroads are way muddier than the trails.

#5 ·
Mission peak stanford side = 4.5
Kennedy = 3.5 to 4
St Joes = 3.9 to 4.5

This is subjective though. Some people define muddy riding as ridable. For me, mission peak is one of few places that your bike comes back mostly clean after a ride with rain the day before.

#6 ·
Here's my list:

Kennedy - 5 (I ride here in the rain if I just need to get out... not very fun, but still good to ride)
El Sereno - 5 (similar to Kennedy)
Overgrown - 4-5 (most is rocky enough to handle rain... top section gets soft)
Gap - 3-4 (Really not worth it though if Peter's Creek is closed)
Skeggs - 2-3 (some trails are better than others after rain)
Quicksilver - 1 (closed often when it rains)
Demo - ?

#7 ·
Demo: 1. Please, Just don't ride there after a good rain. Riding those trails soon after a rain will completely blow it out. Once saturated, it gets loose, rutty, muddy, and slick. (Yes, fun but bad for trail). A rain like this one will take a week of dry to be rideable again.

SC: 1. same thing.

Mission Peak is pretty good but for the back side which I recall being horrible after a good soak.

#9 ·
Mission Peak is rideable only to the outhouse because of the gravel. Anything further up will be slick as snot. MP from the Ohlone side has a couple sections that turn in complete mud pits. One can always go up Mill Creek Road and hop the fence onto the gravel road to the outhouse.

#10 ·
Big Basin/Butano - 4/5
Nisene Marks (Aptos FR) - 4/5
Purisima fire roads - Harkins Ridge - 4, Borden Hatch - 4, Grabtown Gulch - 3, Purisima Creek - 2
Boggs fireroads - 2 Boggs singletrack - 4
Montara Mtn fireroads - 5 Boy Scout - 1
Santa Cruz singletrack - 1
Demo - 1

I have ridden Big Basin/Butano after/during big downpours. It's not so much the wetness that gets you (or your drivetrain) as the freshly fallen duff, branches and fallen trees from the wind.

Boggs is also one of the closest places you can try your (frozen) hand at snow biking. If you can get there and have a warm place to stay. :)

#17 · (Edited)
Purisima Creek singletrack is usually closed after rain right?
Yes.

Big Basin/Butano - 4/5
I've not ridden this. What type of riding? I've camped at Butano, and some of the fireroads are OK. I've never been to Big Basin.

Ft. Ord, how would this rank? I think it's about a 3-4, Mission Peak is better but also less interesting.

#15 ·
Skeggs has two faces. Pre-winter and post-winter (or before and after it gets 6 inches). Before it gets 6 inches of rain (usually January) it is generally fine. It can rain here and there but give it a day to soak and it will be fine.

But after it gets 6 inches, it gets waterlogged. Then it's just a soupy mess after rain and it lasts for months, usually Jan-April.

fc

#30 ·
I'd give grant ranch a 3.5. Grant Ranch can take longer to get fully saturated and can still be good in January or later. However, I think that this is more due to storm patterns that hit the coast harder and not due to soil conditions. Once Grant Ranch gets saturated it should be avoided, unless you like muddy boggy trail that has been trampled by cows. The north section of Canada de Pala gets especially squishy.

#20 ·
Bring on the Freeze!

With all the moisture, I am looking forward to the freezing temps. In NC, we use to hit the frozen trails early (before any thaw) and they made for good riding...just don't get caught in the thaw. ;)
Now that I am in Auburn, I am curious about a couple trails that seem like they should be pretty solid wet (a 4 or 5): Stagecoach and Quarry. I would rather slowly grind out some miles there rather than hit the road. Any opinions on how these would be to ride during/after rain?

#24 ·
I stay off China Camp and Tamarancho for a couple days after rain. Mt. Tam fire roads drain well and I don't feel bad putting a rut or two on them when the water district drives trucks on them. Miles of no cars, nice views, and good climbs.

#25 ·
you've got to be on the better side

of CC, where there's well-draining trails across steep slopes. It also gets all of the sun.

Disagree on China Camp as the lower section can be muddy, prolly more a 3 or 4.

Russian Ridge is dead on.
St Joes/Los Gatos Creek Trail - 4
Saratoga Gap is open but muddy, Long Ridge/Peters Creek singletrack is closed for the season.
Arastradero singletrack is closed after the rains, pretty much for the winter.
Big Basin is supposed to be a 5
Ft. Ord is a 4/5 depending on which trails you ride.
Wilder backcountry gets closed after a good soaking, but that place can be a mess after the rains.
Rockville is 4/5 I think, but someone else can confirm
Santa Teresa and Fremont Older become clay, so zero (0).

#26 ·
Those trails, if they existed, would drain well. :winker: "Officially" they don't exist, especially on a public forum. The problem for CC official trails is they see so much use they get deep and hold water, especially the lower sections.

#27 ·
Mt. Tam=5. You can ride days after rain in a downour. Hoo Koo e Koo, Rock Springs, Eldridge
Headlands detour to tam=great cross ride to tam and back from sf=5. Muddier the better.
Red Hills=5 Can't believe not mentioned yet.
Hogan=? I believe 5 but haven't been there in years. Gotta get back.
New Melones=4-5 Cross Bike, Mnt bike fun.

My 2cents.

Dw

#28 ·
No to Yolo trails

The frog pond, fiske creek, and the various cache creek trails are disastrous expanses of glue mud when wet. Also, any trails that cross cache creek or bear creek may not be passable in high water including rayhouse road off hwy 16.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.