Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    I stay off China Camp and Tamarancho for a couple days after rain. Mt. Tam fire roads drain well and I don't feel bad putting a rut or two on them when the water district drives trucks on them. Miles of no cars, nice views, and good climbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

you've got to be on the better side

of CC, where there's well-draining trails across steep slopes. It also gets all of the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Disagree on China Camp as the lower section can be muddy, prolly more a 3 or 4.

Russian Ridge is dead on.
    St Joes/Los Gatos Creek Trail - 4
    Saratoga Gap is open but muddy, Long Ridge/Peters Creek singletrack is closed for the season.
    Arastradero singletrack is closed after the rains, pretty much for the winter.
    Big Basin is supposed to be a 5
    Ft. Ord is a 4/5 depending on which trails you ride.
    Wilder backcountry gets closed after a good soaking, but that place can be a mess after the rains.
    Rockville is 4/5 I think, but someone else can confirm
    Santa Teresa and Fremont Older become clay, so zero (0).
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Those trails, if they existed, would drain well. "Officially" they don't exist, especially on a public forum. The problem for CC official trails is they see so much use they get deep and hold water, especially the lower sections.

dw22107
    Jan 2008
    Mt. Tam=5. You can ride days after rain in a downour. Hoo Koo e Koo, Rock Springs, Eldridge
    Headlands detour to tam=great cross ride to tam and back from sf=5. Muddier the better.
    Red Hills=5 Can't believe not mentioned yet.
    Hogan=? I believe 5 but haven't been there in years. Gotta get back.
    New Melones=4-5 Cross Bike, Mnt bike fun.

My 2cents.

Dw

mtbr member

No to Yolo trails

The frog pond, fiske creek, and the various cache creek trails are disastrous expanses of glue mud when wet. Also, any trails that cross cache creek or bear creek may not be passable in high water including rayhouse road off hwy 16.

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Purisima Creek singletrack is usually closed after rain right?
    Yeah, there is only one singletrack, Whittemore and that is closed to mtn bikes pretty much all winter.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    Any thoughts on Grant Ranch? I know it's all fireroads, but I'd take fire roads over paved roads.
    I'd give grant ranch a 3.5. Grant Ranch can take longer to get fully saturated and can still be good in January or later. However, I think that this is more due to storm patterns that hit the coast harder and not due to soil conditions. Once Grant Ranch gets saturated it should be avoided, unless you like muddy boggy trail that has been trampled by cows. The north section of Canada de Pala gets especially squishy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2