Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Best tailgate pad

Hit me upside the head with that knowledge. Looking for something that can be taken on/off reasonably quickly as it's not likely to be on 24/7 and something that won't block a stock backup camera.

Do I want a pad with individual bike slots like the evoc or something with just a continuous pad like the fox?

Which gets me the most norcal street cred to counteract the fact I can't manual?

Trail Gnome Moderator
    ^^^way too keep the NorCal theme going

mtbr member
    Why aren't people ever worried about getting their pads stolen off their trucks when they are on a ride? If I was a homeless guy that would be the perfect sleeping pad.

Grooves are good. Also straps to keep the bikes from bouncing.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    You have a truck already?
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Why aren't people ever worried about getting their pads stolen off their trucks when they are on a ride? If I was a homeless guy that would be the perfect sleeping pad.

It's normal to worry about problems that actually occur, not every minute possibility out there.

Tailgate pads getting stolen is not common. And in my network, has not occurred.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    You have a truck already?
    Was I supposed to do that? I thought in NorCal you get the pad you like, then buy the truck to fit?

mtbr member

I actually do worry about that. Not really a solution but at least a minor annoyance for anyone who wants to steal it is that I folded the straps over many times at the end and than wrapped zipties around it.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    Was I supposed to do that? I thought in NorCal you get the pad you like, then buy the truck to fit?
    umm, What if the best truck for your pad is a Honda Ridgeline?
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator

The way more common problem is getting the tailgate stolen.

My neighbor came over and put a fix/lock on mine.
    IPA will save America

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    umm, what if the best truck for your pad is a honda ridgeline?
    lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    umm, What if the best truck for your pad is a Honda Ridgeline?
    Contradiction is contrary

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    The way more common problem is getting the tailgate stolen.

My neighbor came over and put a fix/lock on mine.
    What was the fix? This is on my todo list for my imaginary NorCal truck

fc
    stoked Administrator
    What was the fix? This is on my todo list for my imaginary NorCal truck
    Fix is to put a strap-on. Yeah!

Either a simple one or a locked one, depending on neighborhood. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q04vINEUVz0
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    It's normal to worry about problems that actually occur, not every minute possibility out there.

Tailgate pads getting stolen is not common. And in my network, has not occurred.
    As a poor college student I worry about anything that could possibly get stolen (especially in SC) because I probably won't have the funds to replace it right away.

Plus, the best tail gate pad to shuttle with is your friend's tailgate pad/truck it is attached to. (Especially when your friend drives a Raptor)

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Plus, the best tail gate pad to shuttle with is your friend's tailgate pad/truck it is attached to. (Especially when your friend drives a Raptor)

YIKES!!! 3 smelly dudes in one truck is my limit!

Catfish ...

Keyboard Warrior SuperModerator
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TrungLam View Post
    This is amazing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I expected shenanigans but I do need to figure something out. This gets me negative style points even Pliny can't fix.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    I expected shenanigans but I do need to figure something out. This gets me negative style points even Pliny can't fix.

You are obviously killing it already. You're good!!Best tailgate pad-img_4111.jpg
    IPA will save America

NedwannaB
    Hit me upside the head with that knowledge. Looking for something that can be taken on/off reasonably quickly as it's not likely to be on 24/7 and something that won't block a stock backup camera.

Do I want a pad with individual bike slots like the evoc or something with just a continuous pad like the fox?

Which gets me the most norcal street cred to counteract the fact I can't manual?
    Ok. Hitting you in head with knowledge! What about single bike pads? Like multiple individuals depending on just how many bros follow thru on the outing?
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

That makes me smart
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Ok. Hitting you in head with knowledge! What about single bike pads? Like multiple individuals depending on just how many bros follow thru on the outing?
    What about a Nerf tailgate?
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Dude, if you're carrying only one bike. Just throw the entire thing in the bed. That's what trucks are for.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Mackenzie View Post
    I actually do worry about that. Not really a solution but at least a minor annoyance for anyone who wants to steal it is that I folded the straps over many times at the end and than wrapped zipties around it.
    Good solution. There are those big zip ties. You know, the ones that are used as handcuffs?

In fact, they can be used to secure the tailgate too.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Ahh, modular bro pads. Maybe interlocking with different designs? What if women show up??
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    As a poor college student I worry about anything that could possibly get stolen (especially in SC) because I probably won't have the funds to replace it right away.

You might not want to park in SC at all then.

Worry about the tweakers driving around, not the homeless folks.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Dude, if you're carrying only one bike. Just throw the entire thing in the bed. That's what trucks are for.
    ^ This, Even two fit in the bed of my pickup without moving around or banging into things. I was at a bike shop not too long ago and as I was setting my bike over the side and into the bed some guy walking into the shop says, in a tone of disbelief... "You're going to drive with your bike like that?" He was obviously much more broriffic than me so I just glanced at him and split.

fc
    stoked Administrator

Give us all the details and info on your truck and I'll give all the tailgate pad intel. Cause you don't want that dreaded pad gap.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Sometimes I ride solo, sometimes I don't. Options man!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Give us all the details and info on your truck and I'll give all the tailgate pad intel. Cause you don't want that dreaded pad gap.
    '17 taco. I'll throw down soon in the envy thread, but tailgates are the same across all the 17's

I don't plan to do much to it, just a 24" lift and 46" tires so I can justify taking up four spots at the Whole Foods for bro style. 🤡

ask
    user
    Raceface pad w/ an extra piece of pipe insulation wrapped around the top of the tailgate under the pad. I also put a piece of clear frame tape on my bike frames so they don't rub on the pad. I've had frames wear down into the carbon on tailgate pads over time.

From what I have seen across all the pads my buddies have... the Raceface pad w/ the foam grooves, does the best job of keeping bikes in 1 place while driving on mtn roads. Much better than the Fox, Dakine, or Evoc pad.

Best tailgate pad-image.jpg
    (not my photo... but this guy did exactly the same fix w/ his pad)

SCB - Why don't you offer the shuttle pads on all your bikes???
    Best tailgate pad-santa-cruz-nomad-review-2017-cb-8-von-24-580x387.jpg
    "...That said, we exhausted the comedy material in this thread, so we're done here." -KMax

mtbr member
    Sometimes I ride solo, sometimes I don't. Options man!
    Well if you want the mother of all options, Dakine pad and 1-Up. If I can only have one, it would be the hitch rack (more secure and less damage to the bike during transport).
    Best tailgate pad-2017-07-12_13-59-47.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Well if you want the mother of all options, Dakine pad and 1-Up. If I can only have one, it would be the hitch rack (more secure and less damage to the bike during transport).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-07-12_13-59-47.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	1148396
    I have a Thule T2 Pro that I've used with our Xterra for the past year. but honestly when I'm going to go ride Annadel solo I'd probably much rather just throw the bike over the tailgate, all pavement to and from the trailhead and I can fit 3+ bikes.

Honestly I wish I had paid the extra and gotten the 1up, but T2 with REI 20% off was too good to pass up at the time.

My plan is to have a combo for coverages including pad, hitch rack and add a couple bed rail Rockymount TA and I'll have every base covered.

fc
    stoked Administrator

Name:	2017-07-12_13-59-47.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	1148396
    I don't know about this. I've been trying all kinds of hitch racks on my truck and they're pretty useless and redundant compared to the tailgate pad system. The good reason for them is if you have a topper or shell on the bed. Or if you have the bed fully loaded with stuff
    IPA will save America

Wēk Sôs
    That is indeed the proper way to do it!

Pads though, get in the way of the mini-gun I have mounted in the bed to take out potential terrorists.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    So I got my pad. Then my friend visited me to put the hella norcal in perspective. Best tailgate pad-img_6940.jpg
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Here's my intel:

I think the 'Fox Factory' pad made by Raceface is best. It comes in two sizes, SM/MED and Med/Large. Your truck takes the the SM/Med.

Best tailgate pad-pb110040.jpg

It fits perfectly with max coverage. It is secured by three long straps. Tie em and secure them out of the way. The best thing about it is it has a massive pad that protects the bike and fits all these new trucks with wide tailgate lips. It's rounded at the fold point so there's no sharp edge.

Material is smooth too so it doesn't scratch the finish of the bike. It stays clean too. There's 6 easy to use straps that are not normally visible and grab the downtube perfectly.

Best tailgate pad-img_8195.jpg

The straps do not have to be used all most of the time. The foam padding keeps tthe bike in place with the help of the bed floor ridges. If less than 4 bikes and driving on asphalt roads, bikes do not move or touch each other at all. With 6 bikes or driving dirt roads, the straps are a good idea.
    Best tailgate pad-img_4909.jpg

Systems like the Raceface or Evoc with guides work well and do a better job separating bikes without straps on rough roads

Backside of the pad is is a smoothish felt material so that is good for the paint finish.

Another Plus is there's a pouch for tools or accessories.
    Best tailgate pad-pb110042.jpg

There's a big flap to access the tailgate latch. It's big and it velcros itself back in place. If you have a backup camera on your tailgate handle, it's a real problem. One can design a system to keep the cover velcro'd open semi-permanently. Or one can just cut out the cover. I would just rewire that thing and put a $20 camera under the bumper.Best tailgate pad-2016-toyota-tacoma-trd-offroad-rear-three-quarter-rocks.jpg
    The new Tacoma, like most new trucks have a thick tailgate lip now making them incompatible with a lot of older pads.

Best tailgate pad-img_5386.jpg
    Large pad on the old Tundra and Small pad on the Tacoma fit well.

Best tailgate pad-img_6628.jpg
    Sometimes, you raise your truck so much that a hitch rack is easier to reach than a tailgate pad.
    Last edited by fc; 07-26-2017 at 08:43 AM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Is that a new hush hush fox pad? All the ones I can find online look different with a different tailgate latch flap

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Is that a new hush hush fox pad? All the ones I can find online look different with a different tailgate latch flap
    Here it is!

https://shop.ridefox.com/products/fox-truck-pad

Sold out though.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    FWIW, my wife bought me the Dakine pad even though I had been eyeing the Raceface one because of the slots. I kept the Dakine so as not to hurt any feelings (not that she would have cared lol), and I actually kind of regret it. I have to pull on the straps like a mother to keep the bikes from flopping over. Even though there is a good amount of velcro on the straps, I have to pull them so tight that barely any of velcro can stick to itself, resulting in about 3/4 of an inch of velcro holding your bikes down. That's not good enough for me, so I end up using some bungees for reinforcement. I don't know if the slots that the Raceface has would help this problem, but they couldn't hurt.

tldr: I don't recommend the Dakine...try the Raceface.
    Last edited by IceBuerg; 07-26-2017 at 04:30 PM.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by IceBuerg View Post
    FWIW, my wife bought me the Dakine pad even though I had been eyeing the Raceface one because of the slots. I kept the Dakine so as not to hurt any feelings (not that she would have cared lol), and I actually kind of regret it. I have to pull on the straps like a mother to keep the bikes from flopping over. Even though there is a good amount of velcro on the straps, I have to pull them so tight that barely any of velcro can stick to itself, resulting in about 3/4 of an inch of velcro holing your bikes down. That's not good enough for me, so I end up using some bungees for reinforcement. I don't know if the slots that the Raceface would help this problem, but they couldn't hurt.

tldr: I don't recommend the Dakine...try the Raceface.
    What kind of truck and bikes? If the bed is shallow and the wheels are big, maybe the bikes will flop over?

Never really use my straps on the Fox pad and bikes just stay put. They do prevent movement though on long, rough drives.
    IPA will save America

What kind of truck and bikes? If the bed is shallow and the wheels are big, maybe the bikes will flop over?

Never really use my straps on the Fox pad and bikes just stay put. They do prevent movement though on long, rough drives.
    Agreed. Shallow beds like the older Tacoma may still have a problem with flopping no matter which pad you use. My Canyon has a bed depth of 20.9" and the bikes do not flop over or even move at all with the RaceFace pad. I don't even use the velcro anymore.

Best tailgate pad-99201683940.jpg

mtbr member
    The Fox pad looks nice. Do you run a bed lock system for when you're away from your truck?

That's one clear advantage I can see to the hitch rack when equipped with locks, as well as less wear on the frame.

Ultimately it would be nice to run both since pads are easy enough and nice for short trips where you don't leave your bike unattended

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I have a multi tiered plan depending upon usage needs.

1) T2 Rack (I already has)
    2) Pad
    3) RockyMount TA locking mount for the bed rails.

This should cover 99% of my use scenarios.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Fix is to put a strap-on. Yeah!

Either a simple one or a locked one, depending on neighborhood. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q04vINEUVz0
    That's cool, but it's basically a $20 hose clamp. I can't see it functioning much better than this for a quarter of the price

https://www.amazon.com/Ideal-Turn-Ke...azonqueryr1-20

fc
    stoked Administrator
    That's cool, but it's basically a $20 hose clamp. I can't see it functioning much better than this for a quarter of the price

https://www.amazon.com/Ideal-Turn-Ke...azonqueryr1-20
    Yup. I actually have a hose clamp in mine. Only issue is anyone can take it out with a screwdriver. The product I link uses a key.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Yup. I actually have a hose clamp in mine. Only issue is anyone can take it out with a screwdriver. The product I link uses a key.
    All of those things (clamps, cable washers etc) are to deter and delay theft, they can't prevent it. It's about slowing it down long enough to make it not worth a thieves time.

I may add this 2016-2017 Toyota Tacoma as locking the tailgate via the doors is sex

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

2013 Ram 1500 carrying a couple of hardtails: an XL Specialized Crave 29er and a M Marin Nail Trail 27.5. The big Crave stays put but that Marin flops all over the place. The most annoying thing is how with something like 10" of velcro on the straps, and even with the large-diameter alloy downtubes that the straps wrap around, I still have to pull them so tight that only an inch of velcro actually sticks together, at most. If there's morning dew and the straps are wet when I load up the bikes, they stretch so bad that literally only a quarter of an inch of velcro sticks together lol.

Meh, it's all good. I still use it all the time and I've never lost a bike lol. If it got stolen, though, I'd be looking at other brands.

mtbr member
    I don't know about this. I've been trying all kinds of hitch racks on my truck and they're pretty useless and redundant compared to the tailgate pad system. The good reason for them is if you have a topper or shell on the bed. Or if you have the bed fully loaded with stuff
    I have a hitch rack for when my bed is full of camping gear etc. With 3 or 4 bikes in the bed there isn't much room for the rest of the stuff.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    So I went down to the local NorCal Bro shop as they were the only ones who had any tailgate pads. Dakine doesn't fit, it shows more tail(gate) than a stripper and the handle doesn't even come close to matching up to the tailgate handle, let alone not block the camera.

The only other one they had was a used TLD which was for full sized trucks. Back to the drawing board I guess.. I'm a bit gunshy of ordering a raceface without being able to see if it fits well, and the fox factory FC linked is impossible to get right now (I can't even find it on ebay).

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I finally heard back from fox, back to the drawing board

We have currently sold out of our truck pads, but are in development on an updated version to be released at a later date.

Please stay tuned to our store.

Kind regards,
    -FOX

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Luv my dakine deluxe....

mtbr member
    Anybody with a F-150 using the pads? I've been looking at the Dakine DLX as it has an opening for the rearview camera

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Aw yeah... look at that. Full backup camera compatible! Coming soon from Yakima

Best tailgate pad-p1010222-001.jpg
    IPA will save America

Name:	P1010222-001.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	1159603
    Nice!

Despite these new pads coming out, griz will be like "I love my pad".
    Best tailgate pad-squirrelsqueezer-1506372911480.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by joshthedoc1 View Post
    Anybody with a F-150 using the pads? I've been looking at the Dakine DLX as it has an opening for the rearview camera
    using my Dakine on the '17 F-150 (raptor) and liking it...works well for the bikes and accommodates the back up camera nicely.
    Support local trail-building: www.mbosc.org
    Help our most vulnerable population: www.goodkarmabikes.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by riderup View Post
    using my Dakine on the '17 F-150 (raptor) and liking it...works well for the bikes and accommodates the back up camera nicely.
    @riderup thanks for the response. I ended up getting the Dakine as well. It’s been working perfectly

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Name:	P1010222-001.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	1159603
    Neat! Did you see that at interbike? I'm curious as it looks like it's missing the microfiber back most of the others have

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Neat! Did you see that at interbike? I'm curious as it looks like it's missing the microfiber back most of the others have
    Interbike yes. ALL the details are here on the video:

Yakima Interbike 2017 - Mtbr.com
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Interbike yes. ALL the details are here on the video:

Yakima Interbike 2017 - Mtbr.com
    That pad /looks/ fantastic as it hits the two points I don't care for about my raceface.

1) A huge opening for the camera and tailgate latch.
    2) The neoprene pads should help reduce the neat for a foam noodle under the pad. A single use without a noodle and the vibrations wore a small flat spot in the plastic on the top of the tailgate and that was only about 30mi round trip all on pavement.

The only bummer is they come out in the middle of likely no riding season.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    That pad /looks/ fantastic as it hits the two points I don't care for about my raceface.

1) A huge opening for the camera and tailgate latch.
    2) The neoprene pads should help reduce the neat for a foam noodle under the pad. A single use without a noodle and the vibrations wore a small flat spot in the plastic on the top of the tailgate and that was only about 30mi round trip all on pavement.

The only bummer is they come out in the middle of likely no riding season.
    oh hell yeah there's riding. Every single week in Californication!!!!
    IPA will save America

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Best pads convert to a bench for the post ride:
    https://www.switchbackpad.com/

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    Best pads convert to a bench for the post ride:
    https://www.switchbackpad.com/

_MK
    #dahell? I don't think that's for bikin.
    IPA will save America

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Sure is:

https://www.switchbackpad.com/collec...protective-pad

These guys are engineers and haven't a penchant for marketing; I agree the full size pad doesn't present itself on the website as fit for shuttling bikes.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Yeah, not really wild about the idea of my bike leanin that hard on a tailgate pad. Perhaps it's just a really bad picture, but a neat innovation with the "seat back".

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Yeah, not really wild about the idea of my bike leanin that hard on a tailgate pad. Perhaps it's just a really bad picture, but a neat innovation with the "seat back".
    I think this is more do to the short depth of the older tacomas.

mtbr member
    I'm hoping to pick up a new tailgate pad in the next few weeks.
    Anyone get a glimpse at the new Fox branded pads yet? I have no idea what it will look like, but I've been told they are on their way from Taiwan.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'm hoping to pick up a new tailgate pad in the next few weeks.
    Anyone get a glimpse at the new Fox branded pads yet? I have no idea what it will look like, but I've been told they are on their way from Taiwan.
    Just got a new truck last week and also in the market and looking forward to seeing the new Fox pad.

mtbr member
    You guys who may be interested in a pad for a full sized PU, I have a Yakama pad I've used one year. I'm looking to down size to a small truck with in a year or so, so it's available for sale if you guys are interested. Can be picked up in North Tahoe, Carnelian Bay specifically with some notice.
    And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver. A. Senna

mtbr member
    Floppy bikes are the Gaper Gap of summer sports.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I need to get one of these pads for my Taco. Not just for bike hauling but to protect my tailgate from the evil prickly bush I back into at work that borders my favorite parking spot. Damn evil bush scratched the tailgate worse than any scratches I’ve received 4-wheeling. Come to think of it maybe I’ll get a pad for all sides of the truck to avoid door dings, a truck condom for safe parking.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    I've been shopping for something that will work with the pop-out step and handle in my new-to-me F-150 tailgate... not to even mention the camera. I'm not finding anything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Is the fox pad toast? They seem to be sold out a lot of places with no sign of a return.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by onesojourner View Post
    Is the fox pad toast? They seem to be sold out a lot of places with no sign of a return.
    This is the response I got from Fox’s customer service when I recently inquired about their new pads.

“The small tailgate cover will be available by mid-January. The large one won't be available till the end of March. As for as it being a new design, we haven't heard anything about that just yet.

Thank you,
    Fox Head Customer Service
    OO”

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ericridebike View Post
    This is the response I got from Fox’s customer service when I recently inquired about their new pads.

“The small tailgate cover will be available by mid-January. The large one won't be available till the end of March. As for as it being a new design, we haven't heard anything about that just yet.

Thank you,
    Fox Head Customer Service
    OO”
    Well that is weird. If it is not a new design why is there a shortage?

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    I've been shopping for something that will work with the pop-out step and handle in my new-to-me F-150 tailgate... not to even mention the camera. I'm not finding anything.
    pop out step and handle? We need to see that.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by onesojourner View Post
    Well that is weird. If it is not a new design why is there a shortage?
    They didn't make enough for the annual order. This is Fox Racing Shox and they're not really in the business of tailgate pads. They just happened to randomly make one of the best around so it quickly sold out.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    pop out step and handle? We need to see that.
    Mine is a 13 so it looks like this with the handle folding across the front of the tailgate:
    Best tailgate pad-80a724d1f13cdd4416402e8cea53f307.jpg

2015-present looks like this with the handle folding inside the tailgate next to the step

Best tailgate pad-2015-ford-f150-24-600-001.jpg

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Mine is a 13 so it looks like this with the handle folding across the front of the tailgate:

Name:	80a724d1f13cdd4416402e8cea53f307.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	1167291

2015-present looks like this with the handle folding inside the tailgate next to the step

Name:	2015-ford-f150-24-600-001.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	1167292
    Holy moly. Might have to give up the tailgate pad with that behemoth.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I figured either the answer was NO, or the answer was "here is a product for your specific situation," nothing in between. F-150's are common as dirt - they build about 2000 every day! 4x more than Tacomas! - so it's not inconceivable.

mtbr member
    I wonder if someone with a frame bag shop would like to get into the custom tailgate pad business. It seems like everything would carry over from one to the other.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    I figured either the answer was NO, or the answer was "here is a product for your specific situation," nothing in between. F-150's are common as dirt - they build about 2000 every day! 4x more than Tacomas! - so it's not inconceivable.
    No tailgate pad though is made for a specific vehicle. Tailgate pads seems to be a small market with a lot of players and many buyers are reluctant to pay over $100. Sooo, most player minimize their effort and R&D. Two options... small and large.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I'm not buying that idea so much, it's just a sewing pattern. They could be cranked out quickly in enormous variety.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    I'm not buying that idea so much, it's just a sewing pattern. They could be cranked out quickly in enormous variety.
    How much would you be willing to pay for something like that?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

Name:	80a724d1f13cdd4416402e8cea53f307.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	1167291

Name:	2015-ford-f150-24-600-001.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	1167292
    That's sweet, do you have one of these too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

FWIW, my Race Face pad is starting to deteriorate again. One of the frame straps fell off because the material holding it in place fell apart. The pad has sat on the truck through the entire winter and summer with a bit of the prior summer beating on it. The rest of the pad is in good shape if a little faded but the material at the top edge where the straps are located is dusting away. My first pad didn't last nearly as long so this new version is definitely better but I doubt it will make it till this time next year.

mtbr member
    @sfgiantsfan you laugh but I'm sure that my truck bed is about a foot higher than was my Dad's C20. The step wasn't a determining factor in the purchase, but it's definitely handy. How the bros get into their bro trucks, I dunno.

@sfgiantsfan you laugh but I'm sure that my truck bed is about a foot higher than was my Dad's C20. The step wasn't a determining factor in the purchase, but it's definitely handy. How the bros get into their bro trucks, I dunno.
    The bros don't use their truck beds..... lol #mallcrawler

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    This exactly. It is true of most truck people it seems though.

Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Yep!
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

fc
    stoked Administrator
    My bad. Thought was the stripper pole for the tailgate partay.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I have a F150 that's lifted and I will say that I use that step all the time! I don't think I've ever used the handle other than to show people it has one. But that step is bad ass!!! Especially with the lift. It just makes it easier getting in and out of the back when loading/unloading stuff. I totally agree though, it wasn't a deciding factor, but definitely has been warmly welcomed.

Same goes for that backup cam. I would never have thought I'd say I like having it. I used to make fun of people who did.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by B1KER View Post
    Same goes for that backup cam. I would never have thought I'd say I like having it. I used to make fun of people who did.
    Even stock height trucks these days are so high that the backend is a total murder zone without a backup cam. There's a reason they'll be mandatory on all new vehicles after I think '18.

Quote Originally Posted by B1KER View Post
    I have a F150 that's lifted and I will say that I use that step all the time! I don't think I've ever used the handle other than to show people it has one. But that step is bad ass!!! Especially with the lift. It just makes it easier getting in and out of the back when loading/unloading stuff. I totally agree though, it wasn't a deciding factor, but definitely has been warmly welcomed.

A crutch of sorts.
    What the dropper is for today’s mountain bike a back up camera is for today’s truck.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    How much would you be willing to pay for something like that?
    More. Maybe 15-25% more. Not 50-100% more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I used a few different tailgate pads over the years and frankly, they all suck. Not only do they not hold your bikes secure, where they bounce, slid and smash into one another, they also cause damage to your truck..they are cheap and easy to use though.

I designed the MultiTaskR truck bed rack system by Exodux a couple years ago, because of all the short comings of using the pads and damaged bikes( worn down tubes) and trucks( scratched tailgates). The bikes are mounted through the steerer tube using an expandable collet that securely holds and can be locked using a unique locking system. The only contact with bike, rack and truck are the steerer tube and the rear wheel resting in the trucks bed.

i also designed the MultiTaskR to carry just about anything else that you would carry in a truck, such as surfboards, kayaks, SUP's, lumber ladders, etc, all without using tie downs, ropes or bungies and you can also lock up all of things.

The MultiTaskR takes less than 30 seconds to either fold down or completely remove. It is made from billet aluminum and stainless steel. The only plastic( Delrin) is used for the expandable steerer tube collets.

We just went into production with the MultiTaskR and will be shipping early 2018. We expect a 2 bike rack system to be in the $400-$450 range.

www.exodux.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best tailgate pad-fullsizeoutput_f75.jpg  

Best tailgate pad-img_0065.jpg  

Best tailgate pad-img_2483.jpg  

Best tailgate pad-img_2462.jpg  

Best tailgate pad-img_0210.jpg  

Best tailgate pad-img_0224.jpg  

Best tailgate pad-img_0220.jpg  

EXODUX Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    I used a few different tailgate pads over the years and frankly, they all suck. Not only do they not hold your bikes secure, where they bounce, slid and smash into one another, they also cause damage to your truck..they are cheap and easy to use though.
    I understand the desire to market your product but I think you are being a bit disingenuous here. At least with the Race Face pad, the bikes absolutely do not slide, bounce or smash into each other. They sit very securely on the tailgate and do not move unless you like driving 50mph on a washboard off road situation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    I designed the MultiTaskR truck bed rack system by Exodux a couple years ago, because of all the short comings of using the pads and damaged bikes( worn down tubes) and trucks( scratched tailgates). The bikes are mounted through the steerer tube using an expandable collet that securely holds and can be locked using a unique locking system. The only contact with bike, rack and truck are the steerer tube and the rear wheel resting in the trucks bed.
    www.exodux.com
    What if you have a Specialized bike with the SWAT chain tool in the bottom of your steer tube? Or any other after market tool shoved up in there for that matter?

What if you have a Specialized bike with the SWAT chain tool in the bottom of your steer tube? Or any other after market tool shoved up in there for that matter?
    Aye, I can foresee a few situations this wouldn't work. I use my truck bed too much to deal with removing this contraption over and over and doing shuttled runs would be a nightmare in time consumption. For someonewho doesn't do a lot of group shuttle rides or use the entire bed weekly then this thing could be pretty cool. But even in the case of the 2x4s and ladder you simply lay the wood on the tailgate pad and run a ratchet strap over them to secure it. The surfboard lockdown looks neat though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I haven't tried the RF pad, and in regards to pads, the RF may be the best, but the fact remains, the RF pad or any other can and will wear your down tube, so much so, I've heard alot of talk in the industry about frame warranties ( or lack thereof) caused by the pads. I have had reps from 3 big manufacturers that have told me of the problems and totally endorse this product.
    Shuttling is really not much different, maybe a little slower than a pad, but what's 15 seconds?
    Another plus, when you carrying such things as lumber, ladders, sufboards, etc, you'll still have use of your tailgate.
    In regards to steerer tube tool sets, some of those can interfere but the steerer tube mount (STM) only goes in approximately 2.25"

Anyway, thanks for your concerns. While designing this product, you try to take everything in account and we think we have thought of most situations.
    EXODUX Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast