mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Best SF Shops for Service

I just ordered a new bike online (Yeti SB5) and I have no doubt I'll need an expert shop's help to keep it running. In the past I've used Mike's Bikes and Bike Connection; Bike Connection has been good for basic work (use them for all my commuter/touring bike work) and I would definitely recommend them for most things but I don't know if I would trust them with my Yeti. I have had poor experiences with Mike's Bikes without saying much more.

What are the best shops in the city for mountain bike service (and Yetis in particular, which have their quirks)? I've heard about a few service-only shops in South Bay and the Peninsula, maybe there are a couple here in the city? Main criteria are:

1. Good knowledgeable mechanics
    2. Quick responses/turnaround time
    3. Down-to-earth, reasonable people (dealt with too many snobs at LBSs over the years)

Other nice-to-haves are good community involvement (I definitely would prefer to support a shop that supports our local riding community), being relatively close to the Haight/GGP or downtown, and fair prices. I'm willing to pay a little extra to get better service, but I don't want to spend stupid money.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    roaring mouse in the presidio. good service and they definitely go above and beyond in supporting the community.

also elevation and big swingin

Ride, Race, Live
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    roaring mouse in the presidio. good service and they definitely go above and beyond in supporting the community.

also elevation
    Roaring Mouse and Elevation are great local shops with a strong community involvement.
    The little shop by house called Spoke Easy is also great.
    The owner is an ex pro racer, and lives locally. From the outside it doesn't look like much but there's a lot of quality rigs that roll through the door for service.
    They'r a Scott shop, but work on everything.
    All three of these though are on the western edge of the city, and that could be a turn off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Wow... pretty demanding for somebody that didn't buy their bike at a local bike shop.... :-)

+1 for Roaring Mouse and Elevation! I also like Big Swingin and they are a Yeti dealer so they would definitely be experienced in taking care of your Yeti.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by sfmtber View Post
    Wow... pretty demanding for somebody that didn't buy their bike at a local bike shop.... :-)
    A friend who works for one of the online retailers helped me out with an employee discount.

Lots of great recommendations, thanks all! Now the wait for the bike to come...

mtbr member
    Elevation Bike Co - Charlie is the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    They're all good, but if you want Switch Infinity service, Big Swingin' on Van Ness is the spot.

Hella Olde
    Big Swingin's website says they are one on the top Yeti dealers in the country and they co-founded and support the High School MTB racing scene here. No snobs, and they just gave my YT Capra its first tune up in nearly 3 years. Elevation is top-notch, but I can't easily get way out to the avenues. Same with Roaring Mouse. I go to all 3 but rarely go to shops, I'm afraid.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    +1 Roaring Mouse. Real talk and nice people.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Id give the shop youve been working with a go instead of changing. Honestly theres not that much that can FUBAR on modern bikes. The yetis also going to require you to learn some wrenching skills as well.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Mouse and Elevation, not necessarily in that order either since both have really cool and smart people working at both spots.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Id give the shop youve been working with a go instead of changing. Honestly theres not that much that can FUBAR on modern bikes. The yetis also going to require you to learn some wrenching skills as well.
    IIRC rafekett's closer to SF than Palo Alto now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Encina Bikes in Walnut Creek is my spot. They go above and beyond and are phenomenal.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Big Swinging is the local Yeti shop. That said they effed the service on my wife's fork (forgot to reinstall the spring that makes the CTD switch stop at the various settings) and were dicks about it in no small part because she is a woman, so do with that what you will.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    Big Swinging is the local Yeti shop. That said they effed the service on my wife's fork (forgot to reinstall the spring that makes the CTD switch stop at the various settings) and were dicks about it in no small part because she is a woman, so do with that what you will.
    That sucks! Sorry to hear that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Surprising on Big Swingin. I've known them for years and have always seemed to be cool with everybody.

mtbr member
    I'm surprised (and a bit saddened) to hear that sort of experience from Big Swingin, they seem to have a solid rep, though I have no personal experience with them.

I have direct personal experience with Roaring Mouse, and they are solid, down to earth, and treated me well despite my internet buying, 90% self wrenching ways. They helped me with an Intense warranty issue, and some frame specific small parts I couldn't get my hands on directly. Legit shop, good people.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    It's entirely possible it was a one-off kind of thing - a bad day at the shop, who knows. But it was an obvious issue (the CTD lever could rotate freely a full 360 degrees) and they eventually owned up to losing the spring and putting it back together but not telling us. It wasn't handled well, and we took our business elsewhere. Too bad, because they're about 8 blocks away, and they had better deals on Niner closeouts this year than online, and I needed a replacement commuter/gravel bike.

mtbr member
    I had good luck with High Trails on Polk. Had them put a bike together for me that I had shipped. Owner was cool, they used to do group rides. It has been a couple years though.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone