mtbr member

Best ride up Mt Tam from Mill Valley?

I'll be in Mill Valley a couple of days and would like to pedal up Mt Tam. Whats
    the best way to do this?

From town I'm thinking ... maybe Summit street to the Old Railroad Grade and
    taking that around West Point to the Eldridge trail to make a loop. Or should I drive up a
    ways and park my car somewhere?

Retro on Steroids
    If you're riding up RR Grade, start at the bottom. Ride out West Blithedale to the trailhead. Summit is actually steeper than RR Grade.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member

Or...

For singletrack (legal) take Throckmorton west & follow the creek. You'll see a trailhead on Left -take Tenderfoot Trail (free beer if you clean it with no dabs). Then get to RR Grade to Summit. Or take Hoo Koo E Koo to Eldridge Grade to same summit (shadier on a hot day -but not by much) You'll meet locals on the way for alternate routes. But it was 104 in the shade today -better start EARLY.

Enjoy!
    I like to bike.

mtbr member
    Tenderfoot sounds like fun. Looks like I'd need to take Gravity Car Rd to get to RR Grade.

I guess the route up Tamalpais Ave/Summit Ave is boring and steep.

Does the route matter if I'm riding on Saturday when the trails are crowded?

mtbr member
    Just ride it. Pls be respectful of hikers on the descents. Alt: Head out to Coastal View Trail from West Point Inn for cooler breezes and nice (legal) singletrack. Look at a map for return options to MV.
    I like to bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

best way

tenderfoot > ??? > ??? > Tourist Club

worry about getting to the summit later
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Weekends are bad as the hikers are out in force. Don't go speeding past them as you'll coat them in dust and be reported to the HOHA's (Hateful Old Hikers Association), who will ***** about it.

This was my favorite ride, been a long time.
    Park away from downtown to avoid a parking ticket.
    Blithedale to Railroad Grade.
    Railroad Grade - It's along steady grind to West Point. Continue to top.
    Eldridge Grade down.
    Hoo-Koo-e-Koo to the right. Back to Railroad Grade Back up to West Point, take Stage Coach.
    Road ride to Mtn Home Inn. (Stop for liquid suspension tune up.)
    Tenderfoot trail.
    Ride downtown. Where did you park?

mtbr member
    Does the free beer still count if I can do Tenderfoot in the downhill direction?

I'm staying downtown so parking is not a problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There are few riders who could clean Tenderfoot going down ,I'm not one of them . Think roots no line ruts and steep switchbacks.

mtbr member
    Uphill gets beer
    I like to bike.

mtbr member
    Unless you are a very, very, very good technical rider, it's highly unlikely going to make it down Tenderfoot without dabbing on your first try either.(or 2nd try or 3rd try) The easiest climb is going up railroad grade from the end of W Blithedale. If you prefer your climbing more technical, climb Tenderfoot. (Bring a map). It's not intuitive to get to the Trailhead. If you have time, go down coastal view, then come back up Dias ridge and cut back over to Tenderfoot for the descent. Unless you just really want to ride all of the way to the top of Tam, you could blow off the section from West Point Inn to to the top and cut over towards Coastal View.

mtbr member
    I definitely want to sample some California single track. However, I'm thinking that one day ride the traditional tourist route (RR Grade) up Mt Tam via Blithedale. Maybe take a diversion after West Point Inn to the coastal view or something. Then, the next day maybe go to China Camp and try some smooth and easy single track. We have plenty of rocky, rooty, singletrack here in Vermont. I'm actually a bit sick of it - I felt like a hopping bunny on my last ride. (yes, I'm aware that whining
    about too much singletrack around Marinites is probably mutinous ). Anyway, to cap it off
    I hope to get some riding around the Lake Tahoe/Reno area, maybe follow the crowds to the
    Flume trail or thereabouts.

How's that sound for a bucket list for N. California riding?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    my favorite route in the area is RR Grade to West point inn down Coastal view and up Diaz ridge across pipeline to Tenderfoot. End at Mill Valley Beerworks for a beer.

Great route.

YESBRO!!!
    What days are you here?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    What's the best map of Tam and the surrounding area to get?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by datenschwanz View Post
    What days are you here?
    End of next week. Figure I'll ride Mt Tam on Saturday, China Camp on Sunday if
    my legs have anything left over.