mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Best rear fender?

With sloppy conditions, I was thinking about installing one of those "shelf" type rear fenders that attach to the seat post. Read some reviews, and it seems that some of them don't stay put very well. So, I ask the assembled wisdom: do any of these work? If so, which are the best?

Thanks in advance!

Air Pirate
    They work. I use the SKS X-Tra-Dry rear fender, along with the Shockboard front. My review: Keeping a weather eye on the horizon: Equipment Review: SKS Shockboard and X-Tra-Dry Fenders
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    +1 for the SKS fenders.....I have not had one detach over the years. The trick is to make sure the adjustment is tensioned well around the seatpost. If it is lose, it will fall off.

mtbr member
    I like SKS clip ones. I have several bikes, and I can switch it to any of them.

mtbr member
    Back in the 60's my brother brought a touring bike back from England. It had plastic fenders that were really light and really long. At the end of he fenders were mud flaps. By California standards it looked goofy, but I could ride it in the rain and not get very wet. Fashion vs function.

If the fender doesn't cover the vertical areas of he wheels, you are only keeping from getting a water or mud stripe on your back or front. The bike and components will get hit with water and mud.

Are you riding in areas where mud may build up on tires? Important as the tires may stop turning. (With really sticky mud, he tires will stop when the mud hits the frame.) Also, heavy mud will build up and weigh down those fenders that stick out.

I bought two sets of Zefal plastic fenders and used the front fenders with zipties to mount on my full suspension bike. I mounted the fenders and left them on.

What I have is similar to these fenders
    Bicycle Bike Partstire Front Rear Fenders Mudguard Set | eBay

dude with orange car
    I put duct tape around the seat post. Fender attaching thingy has little rubber nubbins. The nubbins dig into the duct tape and the fender doesn't move.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy