Results 1 to 40 of 40
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flipnidaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,099

    Best NorCal Filipino food

    Since it's raining and I'm bored out of my mind waiting for my compressor, and FC started it with the Taco post...

    My vote goes to Patio Filipino in San Bruno. It is one of the best Flip restaurants I've been to, here, or anywhere else for that matter (including the Philippines). Ron's paella is better though.

    For post SC rides, I like Tapsilog Bistro cause it's on the way home and the food is also pretty good and they have something called Lechon Kawali-silog (aka cholesterol bomb).

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Harry Mackenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,178
    Not to be a contrarian but I don't even like eating Filipino food when I go out. Like I grew up with it so I don't really like eating it unless my family, my gf's family, or I cook it.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flipnidaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Mackenzie View Post
    Not to be a contrarian but I don't even like eating Filipino food when I go out. Like I grew up with it so I don't really like eating it unless my family, my gf's family, or I cook it.
    Not contrarian at all. If I had a choice between eating out and someone cooking it for me at home, I'd pick the latter every time...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,638

    Best NorCal Filipino food

    We can merge the two threads and talk about what the best Filipino/Mexican fusion food is! Normally I donít like these newer generation of food trucks and Iím just a taco truck guy, but the food at this truck is really damn good and they give you a lot of food not these little sissy hipster portions!

    http://www.senorsisig.com

    Seriously though, my wife is Filipino and I tend to agree that you gotta go with home cooked (which usually consists of some home cooked combined with a truck load of takeout anyways!)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flipnidaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,099
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    We can merge the two threads and talk about what the best Filipino/Mexican fusion food is! Normally I donít like these newer generation of food trucks and Iím just a taco truck guy, but the food at this truck is really damn good and they give you a lot of food not these little sissy hipster portions!

    Se√Īor Sisig: Filipino Fusion Food Truck

    Seriously though, my wife is Filipino and I tend to agree that you gotta go with home cooked (which usually consists of some home cooked combined with a truck load of takeout anyways!)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That Sisig Taco looks freakin' awesome!

  6. #6
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,237
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Since it's raining and I'm bored out of my mind waiting for my compressor, and FC started it with the Taco post...

    My vote goes to Patio Filipino in San Bruno. It is one of the best Flip restaurants I've been to, here, or anywhere else for that matter (including the Philippines). Ron's paella is better though.

    For post SC rides, I like Tapsilog Bistro cause it's on the way home and the food is also pretty good and they have something called Lechon Kawali-silog (aka cholesterol bomb).
    All those places... banned! I loved Patio Filipino in San Bruno.
    IPA will save America

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    386
    I'm half Filipino...and I generally don't like Filipino food, home-cooked or otherwise. Maybe one day I'll try something that changes my mind.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    All those places... banned!
    Yo FC, check it out - I never thought I would see this - a vegan Filipino restaurant! My wife told me about it.

    Home

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flipnidaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,099
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    All those places... banned! I loved Patio Filipino in San Bruno.
    Wait, you've gone vegan?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: O5-KR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Wait, you've gone vegan?
    Shortly after a bad crash at demo....

  11. #11
    Rhymes with fartmaster
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,861
    Quote Originally Posted by O5-KR View Post
    Shortly after a bad crash at demo....
    Chicharrones and carnitas apparently were to blame for the crash.
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need

  12. #12
    rox
    rox is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,397
    kuyas in burlingame

  13. #13
    rox
    rox is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,397
    jeepsilog truck on the peninsula http://www.jeepsilog.com/

  14. #14
    rox
    rox is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,397
    tselogs in daly city or sf Home

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flipnidaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,099
    In Stockton, a new placed opened up in December called "Pinoy Barrio Fiesta". I've eaten there half a dozen times already. Pretty authentic food. All the way to the "turon" for dessert.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ron m.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    952
    If you ride JMP, there's literally a hole-in-the-wall Filipino restaurant off Fruitvale Avenue (turo-turo style). Don't expect ambiance, it's straight up home-cooked Flip food (fairly authentic) at a fair price (not cheap).

    https://www.yelp.com/biz/lucky-three-seven-oakland

    If you want a fun experience like Dollar Hits in Socal, try this spot in Hayward:

    https://www.yelp.com/biz/totos-grill...=Filipino+Food

    Plenty of skewered meats and goodies (from your run-of-the-mill pork and chicken BBQ to more exotic but yummy pork or chicken intestines, fish balls, pig's ears, etc).

  17. #17
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,237
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Wait, you've gone vegan?
    Vegetarian now for 6 months. I'll eat the occasional awesome fish.

    How come no one opens a Filipino Vegan restaurant? Sounds like a weiner.
    IPA will save America

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Vegetarian now for 6 months. I'll eat the occasional awesome fish.

    How come no one opens a Filipino Vegan restaurant? Sounds like a weiner.
    Did you not see my post!

    Best NorCal Filipino food

  19. #19
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,237
    Quote Originally Posted by O5-KR View Post
    Shortly after a bad crash at demo....
    vegan liquid diet
    IPA will save America

  20. #20
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,237
    What I really want is a thread on Indian food. I've discovered they have the best vegetarian food around. This is my goto right now.

    https://www.yelp.com/biz/naan-and-curry-san-jose

    $8 gets me the best!
    IPA will save America

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Harry Mackenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,178
    Isn't Indian food like super carb loaded and greasy though?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: O5-KR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,058

    Best NorCal Filipino food

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Mackenzie View Post
    Isn't Indian food like super carb loaded and greasy though?
    Not an expert, but my experiences have been always great !

    Lots of tasteful vegetables, almost like in a mediterranean diet boiled, bread crumbed, as part of sauces. Good lamb. Good rice. Good pots. Estelar if you like it spicy...only missing the fish thing.

    Last month I was so lucky to visit one with an Indian Vendor. I made him explain to me all the dishes and tried small tastes of 10 or 15 of them. So cool !

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Mackenzie View Post
    Isn't Indian food like super carb loaded and greasy though?
    Also not an expert, but have had my fair share of Indian food - like most cuisines, it is very regional and varies quite a bit from region to region - it is definitely true that the "typical" North Indian / Pakistani Bay Area restaurants tend to be very rich and heavy and unbelievably delicious, but that is just 1 type of rich restaurant food and it is not how people would usually eat day-to-day - the place that FC linked has quite a few locations in the BA and IME it tends to be pretty carby, heavy and greasy, but also delicious! - I'm sure the veggie dishes are lighter though

    Indian food in general obviously caters well to vegetarians b/c there are so many of them in India - Thai is also a great cuisine for vegetarians

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,049
    depends on what you order, and what you mean by heavy---yes bhuna ghosht or nihari and fresh naan (lamb and beef, respectively), would be a once in a while thing. on the other hand, you can't really go lighter than yellow daal (lentils) and chapati, with some onions for salad. mmm.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,180
    i dont know much about Phillipino food. i once had a piece of pork slow roasted and then deep fried..it felt like i had butter in my veins afterwards. it was tasty, but i hated myself afterwards.

    i dont eat much of it anymore.

    last time i butchered a bunch of pigs..i gave the heads to a phillipino family..that did that same slowcookdeepfried thing to the heads!!! my heart almost stopped right there watching them cook it!! i felt i needed to be hooked up to a defib machine even going into that house..
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flipnidaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    i dont know much about Phillipino food. i once had a piece of pork slow roasted and then deep fried..it felt like i had butter in my veins afterwards. it was tasty, but i hated myself afterwards.

    i dont eat much of it anymore.

    last time i butchered a bunch of pigs..i gave the heads to a phillipino family..that did that same slowcookdeepfried thing to the heads!!! my heart almost stopped right there watching them cook it!! i felt i needed to be hooked up to a defib machine even going into that house..
    I typically bring a stent or 3 with me to family functions...

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grrrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,308
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Since it's raining and I'm bored out of my mind waiting for my compressor, and FC started it with the Taco post...

    My vote goes to Patio Filipino in San Bruno. It is one of the best Flip restaurants I've been to, here, or anywhere else for that matter (including the Philippines). Ron's paella is better though.

    For post SC rides, I like Tapsilog Bistro cause it's on the way home and the food is also pretty good and they have something called Lechon Kawali-silog (aka cholesterol bomb).
    This reminds me, I still owe you a post-ride payback meal at Tapsilog. Moreso we need to ride soon (as soon as my bike is built).

    I liked Intramuros before it turned into McKinley Park.

    My current go to is Toppings just because of proximity and I like the grilled stuff more than the stewed stuff.

    Oops, I forgot, the correct answer is always Mom's/wifey's... yeah, thats it!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grrrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,308
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Vegetarian now for 6 months. I'll eat the occasional awesome fish.

    How come no one opens a Filipino Vegan restaurant? Sounds like a weiner.
    there is!

  29. #29
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,237
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah View Post
    This reminds me, I still owe you a post-ride payback meal at Tapsilog. Moreso we need to ride soon (as soon as my bike is built).

    I liked Intramuros before it turned into McKinley Park.

    My current go to is Toppings just because of proximity and I like the grilled stuff more than the stewed stuff.

    Oops, I forgot, the correct answer is always Mom's/wifey's... yeah, thats it!
    Toppings is good. So cheap too. Not the cleanest but we used to go to Santa Clara a lot. We stopped going since my family would just meat binge there. But I think I can handle it now being around it without feeling sadpanda. Bangus fish for me!
    IPA will save America

  30. #30
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    i dont know much about Phillipino food. i once had a piece of pork slow roasted and then deep fried..it felt like i had butter in my veins afterwards. it was tasty, but i hated myself afterwards.

    i dont eat much of it anymore.

    last time i butchered a bunch of pigs..i gave the heads to a phillipino family..that did that same slowcookdeepfried thing to the heads!!! my heart almost stopped right there watching them cook it!! i felt i needed to be hooked up to a defib machine even going into that house..
    That's how I was man. My family always said I had a weak stomach with frequent indigestion.

    Turns out my stomach was fine. I was just allergic to the food I grew up with. And the ups and downs in energy was not good.
    IPA will save America

  31. #31
    Mtn View, CA
    Reputation: gddyap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    461
    Probably not the best but Pinoy Bbq Atbp in Milpitas isn't bad. Hole in the wall kind of place.
    If you want to find the best, look for groups on USPS mail trucks at lunch time. Filipino mailmen will find them.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

  32. #32
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,237
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyap View Post
    Probably not the best but Pinoy Bbq Atbp in Milpitas isn't bad. Hole in the wall kind of place.
    If you want to find the best, look for groups on USPS mail trucks at lunch time. Filipino mailmen will find them.
    I just fall in line behind the construction guys for tacos.
    IPA will save America

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,180
    i admit..i dont understand JollyBee.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    453
    karilagan in south city never disappoints and huge portions

  35. #35
    Nobody
    Reputation: Shamis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    131
    Ongpin in South SF has the best Sisig I've ever tasted. I will drive there to buy a large container to go and throw it in flour tortilllas for awesome tacos.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

  36. #36
    Snowjnky McDreamy
    Reputation: snowjnky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,528
    I have got good Filipino food from Facebook marketplace. Straight from the grandmas kitchen, and inexpensive.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

  37. #37
    is down to roll...
    Reputation: East Bay Rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    +1

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    80
    Hey GD,

    Quick lunch or solo dinner, nothing fancy: ATBP Pinoy BBQ (turo turo) in Milpitas
    Dinner with Dawn: Toppings in Santa Clara
    Dinner with a group: Barrio Fiesta in Milpitas

    You can also check out Kalesa which is really close to Barrio Fiesta. Also, the hot foods section of Seafood City Supermarket (on Landess in Milpitas so right off 680) has pretty good BBQ.

  39. #39
    rj2
    rj2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rj2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,035
    Every Saturday, my Dad would cook up a Ron-esque type feast. Seafoods, meats, veggies, noodles, hand-shredded coconut. Total food coma. I'm convinced that the best PI home cooks are the Dads.

    As for PI restaurant recommendations? Tapsilog and SeŮor Sisig are good. My sister likes Lucky Three Seven in Oakland.
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

  40. #40
    Ariolimax columbianus
    Reputation: nativeson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,376
    Quote Originally Posted by rj2 View Post
    Every Saturday, my Dad would cook up a Ron-esque type feast. Seafoods, meats, veggies, noodles, hand-shredded coconut. Total food coma. I'm convinced that the best PI home cooks are the Dads.

    As for PI restaurant recommendations? Tapsilog and SeŮor Sisig are good. My sister likes Lucky Three Seven in Oakland.
    right...i think most pilipinos here in da bay come from larger extended families who got/get together and cook/eat. growin up we hardly went out to eat filipino food because our families would cook it. don't think my moms even made any american food dinners till i was in high school because she wanted to experiment.

    think it's kinda funny that it's taken the 13 years i've been on mtbr to have some diversity. most folks probably still think most filipinos still eat dogs.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUK3PyjgiA4

    never been but i luv me some eddie huang! anyone?

Similar Threads

  1. Best Norcal taco - food
    By fc in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 01-13-2018, 10:56 PM
  2. Norcal Lycra - Norcal Baggies
    By motorbacon in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-09-2017, 04:57 PM
  3. Many thanks to the Filipino mountain biking community at salmon falls today
    By Overhillthruthewoods in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-22-2013, 09:17 AM
  4. Ask a Filipino
    By Dion in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 12-09-2012, 01:30 PM
  5. Filipino Kabayans
    By Carding in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 07-30-2012, 04:28 PM

Members who have read this thread: 124

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.