Moderator Moderator

The Best MTB Day Pack I've Found

Osprey Duro 1.5 Hydration Vest - Men's - 1.5 Liters

This is the best pack I've found for long day rides. It's actually made for trail running and fits very snug. It's ultra lightweight, stretchy, has lots of storage and compartments, and carries 1.5 liters of water. I tested mine at Demo yesterday with a full bladder of water; no movement on jumps, no binding anywhere, and no sloshing up and down. I forgot I even had it on for most of the ride. I breathes really well, with no hotspots even on the long climbs. I like Osprey's reservoir system far better than other designs. I think there's a new model so you can find this one on closeout most places.

What's your set up?

The Best MTB Day Pack I've Found-1dad7117-5e9d-49b2-a451-7f01ad56e98d.jpg

Hell you talmbout
    Interesting. I don't need a new pack, and with summer coming, I want all the water I can carry. So, I'll wind up keeping my C-bak HAWG NV for its ability to carry 2 bladders.

I can see how this would be a good pick for a short ride, tho.

$90 at REI, some reviews are here.

(Pity post. You're welcome)
    I just stumbled across a meeting for clumsy people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've been rocking a 3L frame bag and multiple flexible running flasks lately. The flasks carry 20 ounces of water.

Keep on Rockin...
    Nifty.

Trail Gnome
    USWE Airborne 9
    It holds 3L, no waist strap...the chest straps are diagonal, plenty of storage, and best of all...it sits higher on my back. I hate the packs that sit low, fanny packs are the worst. The pack fits snug, and the criss cross chest straps are not women friendly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Best MTB Day Pack I've Found-919e84ab-0e6e-47ec-83ff-a89b3932b33d.jpg  

The Best MTB Day Pack I've Found-73d42a6c-8245-4b64-9b43-53d3e923994f.jpg  

Hell you talmbout
    Dude, make up your mind.
    I just stumbled across a meeting for clumsy people.

mtbr member
    On the rare occasion I wear a backpack, I wear the Dakine Shuttle. It holds 2L of water and just enough space for the important stuff.

https://www.dakine.com/en-us/bags/ba...ks/shuttle-6l/

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Bontrager Rapid bum bag (2x Camelbak Podium bottles - 1 in pack, 1 on frame) for rides up to 3 hours. I just did my longest ride with that setup yesterday in Santa Cruz for 16 miles / 2,250 ft. I love having my back open to stay cool, less weight on my back, and no movement on even the rowdiest of trails.

Longer rides (Demo) I use a Camelbak Skyline LR with about 2 L of water. It's very secure up until you start having step-downs, in which case it slides up a bit.

Both these setups allow me to strap my helmet's chinbar on the back for climbs.

Hella Olde
    EVOC FR lite for me. I can carry all the beer I need.

mtbr member
    I have the Camelbak 100 oz LR and the 80 oz LR. I like the 80 oz model better than the 100 oz, personally.
    :wq

Moderator Moderator
    It seems that the thinking is backpacks for mountain biking need to be heavy duty. I would argue they need to be light weight and stretchy, more than tough and heavy. The form fitting nature of stretch fabrics far outweighs the non-form fitting tougher nylon type materials for me. This is why I chose a trail running pack for MTB.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Looks nice but cant do backpacks...i just get too damn hot. Fanny pack for me!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I tend to be overly prepared so I use a Camelbak mule for most rides, Osprey Talon 22 for all day rides, or when we plan on pressing coffee in the forest mid-ride.

I tried going without a pack for awhile, and it was nice... but... when I needed a pack for a big ride it had become torture.

Now I just wear one all the time and don't worry about weight. For me it is a game of staying desensitized to it and it's barely noticeable on most rides.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Havenít worn anything more than a fanny pack in over a year. I do long rides, but they are always in places that have drinking water or loop back to the car.

I definitely donít drink enough on rides though. Even doing 2 laps at Demo I would probably just take 1 bottle on a cool day.