Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    Uncle
    Reputation: Entrenador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,701

    Best BLM rides in Nor Cal?

    I don't recall riding any BLM land except for that stuff just north of hwys 20 & 80 -- Shotgun Lake, Milk Lake, Penner maybe? Anyway, just wondering what other good rides are available on BLM land in Nor Cal. Thinking about other camping/riding options.

    Tried seaching this, but I think "BLM" might not be a big enough word to search here.

    Thanks.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

  2. #2
    Golden Bears United
    Reputation: TeeKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    304
    what is BLM?

  3. #3
    Trail Goddess
    Reputation: Fiona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    981
    http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/folsom.html This was from a quick google search.

    The Folsom BLM office covers a large area including Cronan Ranch near Auburn, the South Yuba, Red Hills (located near Chinese Camp, just East of Oakdale), and others. All have great trails, it just depends on what kind of riding you prefer. I believe New Melones in Angels Camp and Lake Hogan in Valley Springs have connections to BLM properties, also.

    Fiona
    I've become one of those people, you know the ones.

  4. #4
    never ender
    Reputation: fat_weasel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,311
    Most of Fort Ord (Sea Otter) is BLM territory. The camping isn't that great, though. Why BLM land specifically?

  5. #5
    Uncle
    Reputation: Entrenador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,701
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_weasel
    Why BLM land specifically?
    Crossing of ideas happened today: 1) Friend of mine likes to camp in his truck on BLM land when doing long road trips -- no camp fees, and from his experience, very lightly regulated. Makeshift campsites, shotgun shells laying around, etc -- these images, perhaps falsely, suggest less regulations to me, 2) Started wondering if I had ridden anywhere managed by BLM (didn't know about Planet Ord), and 3) I live in EBRPDville, where most everything is regulated, such that riding single track is something we don't here without looking over our shoulder, and this is making me hungry for "relative wilderness" that I can't get locally.

    Thanks for the link, Fiona. Basically, you said "drive East..."
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

  6. #6
    just another bleepin SSer
    Reputation: singlespeed.org's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,339
    National Forest lands also allow "dispersed camping" on most of its lands. Even much of the stuff around Downieville (with the exception of much of the Highway 49 corridor, which is posted as camping in designated campsites only) falls under this.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    Business: www.calkayakermag.com
    Personal: www.singlespeed.org
    自転車が好きだよ

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    769

    South Yuba Trail is BLM

    not the Rim Trail/Malacoff, but the SYT itself
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,334

    Bureau of Land Management

    Quote Originally Posted by TeeKay
    what is BLM?
    Government bureau, a large % of the open space that's not forest land of the west is under their control. You need an annual permit to ride BLM land.
    agmtb

  9. #9
    Trail Goddess
    Reputation: Fiona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeed.org
    National Forest lands also allow "dispersed camping" on most of its lands. Even much of the stuff around Downieville (with the exception of much of the Highway 49 corridor, which is posted as camping in designated campsites only) falls under this.
    x2

    We've found that taking the RV into National Forest areas means quiet, self-contained camping with little to no fees and as SS.org said not heavily regulated in many areas. I've learned to Google the area where we are planning on heading for local National Forests. You'd be amazed how much free camping areas are just a short distance away from great trails, some even have trails that can be ridden right from camp. One of our faves is up in the Tahoe area.

    Fiona
    I've become one of those people, you know the ones.

  10. #10
    Uncle
    Reputation: Entrenador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,701
    Bookmarked! Don't be surprised if a few of you get a PM from in the next month or two requesting recommendations for camping and riding. Hoping to get a few folk together for a 3-day weekend sometime soon.
    Thanks again.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,217

    What?

    Quote Originally Posted by abegold
    Government bureau, a large % of the open space that's not forest land of the west is under their control. You need an annual permit to ride BLM land.
    What are you talking about? There are tons of BLM area's within my neighborhood and no one has EVER needed an annual permit to ride BLM land.


    To the original poster. Redding area has many sections of BLM land that are being developed with a wonderful trail network. True, people have created trails from using the land, i.e. horses, hikers, bikers. But all the trails that are being built by BLM now are under some ridicules standard of being 3 feet wide (don't quote me on that exact width). I guess this is because it makes the trail more "user friendly".

    But I guess I can't really complain, because they are building trails like crazy around here. I guess its a lot better than losing trails.
    Last edited by Loki; 05-04-2009 at 11:13 AM.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    649
    Don't forget the Kings Range! Paradise Royal is an official for-bikers-by-biker 12 mile singletrack loop. Camping right off the trail at Tolkan campground. Word has it they're looking to hook it up with Shelter Cove Rd. for a ~23 mile total loop.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    58
    on your way to king range, be sure to check out north cow mountain in ukiah. If you're there on a midweek non-holiday, you'll find some mostly empty motorcycle trails on south cow mountain that are fun on a mountain bike. And if you like that you might check out Sled Ridge trail out of Upper Lake. Super fun on a downhill bike, and once you see what else is out there, you might wish you also had a motorcycle. Pretty sure that's BLM, but I'm probably wrong.

  14. #14
    Coors, the american beer.
    Reputation: Melt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,537
    Knoxville north of lake berryessa, but its mostly dual track (atv trails)
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    341

    Tahoe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiona
    x2

    We've found that taking the RV into National Forest areas means quiet, self-contained camping with little to no fees and as SS.org said not heavily regulated in many areas. I've learned to Google the area where we are planning on heading for local National Forests. You'd be amazed how much free camping areas are just a short distance away from great trails, some even have trails that can be ridden right from camp. One of our faves is up in the Tahoe area.

    Fiona
    Fiona,

    Care to elaborate on the general area you mention in Tahoe? I thought I extensively searched many many maps trying to find areas where I could free camp and be close to decent trails. I couldn't find anything that looked promising. While not quite an RV, I have a slide in Truck Camper and am 100% self contained.

    -Sam

  16. #16
    Log off and go ride!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    943
    Try Susanville BLM and the adjacent Lassen and Modoc NFs.

    About a zillion miles of single track, rails to trail, and unpaved roads, and you will be the only one there. About 99% of the land is open to dispersed camping.

    On second thought, you probably would not like it. Too much wildlife, solitude, and scenery, and no starbucks, fast food, or mini mart every mile. You couldn't handle it...

  17. #17
    Trail Goddess
    Reputation: Fiona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-eye-am
    Fiona,

    Care to elaborate on the general area you mention in Tahoe? I thought I extensively searched many many maps trying to find areas where I could free camp and be close to decent trails. I couldn't find anything that looked promising. While not quite an RV, I have a slide in Truck Camper and am 100% self contained.

    -Sam
    We park the RV where Hwys 88 and 89 meet. I believe it's Toyobi (sp) NF. You are just over the pass from Meyers.

    Fiona
    I've become one of those people, you know the ones.

  18. #18
    Uncle
    Reputation: Entrenador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,701

    Sounds terribly lonely there.

    Quote Originally Posted by dave54
    Try Susanville BLM and the adjacent Lassen and Modoc NFs.

    About a zillion miles of single track, rails to trail, and unpaved roads, and you will be the only one there. About 99% of the land is open to dispersed camping.

    On second thought, you probably would not like it. Too much wildlife, solitude, and scenery, and no starbucks, fast food, or mini mart every mile. You couldn't handle it...
    Yeah, I need my creature comforts. I suggest anyone reading this skip these suggestions all together. Marin Co. -- Yeah, that's where it's at!

    Thanks for the info folks. I'll absolutely not be going to any of these places, but expect PMs from me in the future... for, ummm... other reasons.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: arphaxhad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Redding area has many sections of BLM land that are being developed with a wonderful trail network.
    Here in Red Bluff (30 mi south of Redding, 2 hrs north of Sac) we have almost 18,000 acres of BLM trails that range from buff singletrack along the Sacramento river, to lots of technical lava rock. While we have to share it with the large horse population in these parts, all parties get along nicely (as long as we "talk to the horses, just talk to them and they won't be so jittery"!)

    You can find a map at the BLM web site or PM me and I will send you a copy.

    Oh, and if you visit, stop at our local bike shop, Fastwheels, and say hi to Fred and Garon. A couple of great guys and the epitome of the classic small town LBS.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    378
    There are no public areas in nor cal, no BLm lands, No forest service lands, no camping outside a paved campground, you can't ride a bike, no shooting, no dirtbiking, the best places are in so cal, below sacramento.

    Oh and loki the standard for the trail is set so that blm and foreset service can maintain the trail with the mini dozers, that way they can periodically go in and maintain the trail all from the comfort of their mini dozer, wouldn't want them to have to get off their butts and actually do some manual labor.

  21. #21
    (slight return)
    Reputation: slide mon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,046
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeKay
    what is BLM?
    Bureau of Livestock and Mining.

    -slide

  22. #22
    Log off and go ride!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by arphaxhad
    Here in Red Bluff (30 mi south of Redding, 2 hrs north of Sac) we have almost 18,000 acres of BLM trails that range from buff singletrack along the Sacramento river, to lots of technical lava rock....You can find a map at the BLM web site or PM me and I will send you a copy....
    http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/reddi...iontrails.html

  23. #23
    Uncle
    Reputation: Entrenador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,701

    Kudos, Dave!

    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,217

    do you live in Susanville?

    Quote Originally Posted by dave54
    Try Susanville BLM and the adjacent Lassen and Modoc NFs.

    About a zillion miles of single track, rails to trail, and unpaved roads, and you will be the only one there. About 99% of the land is open to dispersed camping.

    On second thought, you probably would not like it. Too much wildlife, solitude, and scenery, and no starbucks, fast food, or mini mart every mile. You couldn't handle it...
    I just received an email that they are opening 14 miles of new singletrack to go along with 8 miles that already existed, to make 22 miles of singletrack just outside the town. From the sound of it they designed the trails with mountain bikers in mind, banked turns and whatnot.

    Pretty exciting news for sure!

    I've got a pdf with more info and a map if anyone is interested. Send me a PM.

  25. #25
    2012 Race: April 28th!
    Reputation: LemurianGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    869
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEKEDAWG
    There are no public areas in nor cal, no BLm lands, No forest service lands, no camping outside a paved campground, you can't ride a bike, no shooting, no dirtbiking, the best places are in so cal, below sacramento.

    Oh and loki the standard for the trail is set so that blm and foreset service can maintain the trail with the mini dozers, that way they can periodically go in and maintain the trail all from the comfort of their mini dozer, wouldn't want them to have to get off their butts and actually do some manual labor.
    Yeah, we all know that the only good trails in NorCal are near Downieville!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •