Moderator Moderator

Bend OR: NorCal perspective

I'm heading to Bend next week. Who has ridden there? What did you like? Where did you rent? Staying at Sunriver Resort. Anything near there? Anyone ever stay there? Thoughts? How does the riding there compare to NorCal?

Rhymes with fartmaster
    I rode/stayed there for a week back in 2014. Was the most amazing MTB related experience I have had thus far. I stayed at the Seventh Mountain Resort, which had on site a mini pump track and a skills course. From there it was about 1/2 - 3/4 mile to the Phil’s Trail system, which led to downtown Bend (the lovely brewpubs downtown OMFG radness), and obviously the entirety of the fabulous Phil’s Trail system. I’m not sure where Sunriver is, but the name might imply it is alongside the main river, as is Seventh Mountain Resort…… so plenty of family-centric riding possibilities along the river as well. I guarantee you WILL NOT HAVE A SHITTY TIME THERE. If you like techny trails, Storm King is a must-ride. The Phil’s Trail system also has a really nice dual-slalom dirt-jump-esque pumpy-sorta track nearer to downtown. There are a few ex-Cali-patriots who have recently relocated to Bend, they are on these forums; they can fill in the blanks I have left open.

OH YEAH, DO NOT FORGET: BRING YOUR EMPTY GROWLERS…… all gas stations in Oregon are “attendant pump only” by law, yet many of them (most of them in Bend) have ON-SITE GROWLER REFILLS WHILE THEY PUMP YOUR TANK FULL OF GAS!!! I told ya this place was like Disneyland for craft brew loving mountain bikers, did I not???
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I'm heading to Bend next week. Who has ridden there? What did you like? Where did you rent? Staying at Sunriver Resort. Anything near there? Anyone ever stay there? Thoughts? How does the riding there compare to NorCal?
    Was up there a few years ago. Caught the Cog Wild shuttle up to Mt. Bachelor twice. 25-30 miles of singletrack back to town. Lots of options.

It will be the easiest 25 miles you'll ever do. Nothing very technical, but fun. A good ride for the whole family. Best part is arriving back in Bend and quickly hitting the brewery of your choice.

I really liked Crux Fermentation Project: great IPAs, nice big lawn, awesome views and taco trucks.

Be sure to stop into Deschutes Brewery for a glass of free beer each day.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

Rhymes with fartmaster
    Crux and Ten Barrel are MUST-STOP destinations. Crux always has some amazing small-batch experimental amazing high-ABV brews for sale in bottles for takeaway. Oh, and the folks at The Hub Cyclery downtown are great helpful folks…… and free beer on tap (be sure to buy a set of brakepads or an innertube to show your gratitude).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Crux and Ten Barrel are MUST-STOP destinations.

The only reason to stop in at 10 Barrel is to throw bricks in their windows. 10 Barrel is nothing but Anheiser/InBev trying to look like a craft brewer.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Web Cyclery (webcyclery.com) is the bees knees as far as bike shops go in bend. Kevin and the crew are top notch. If they don't have what you need rental/demo wise I've also rented from Pine Mtn and had a positive experience.

Definitely bring a growler, many amazing beer options. Yes some of them are even in gas stations. Crux is spectacular for beer and food.

Cog Wild (cogwild.com) for shuttles, take their (or other local) advice for what's running best. Storm King is awesome, Tumalo Ridge is a fun ride, Tyler's Traverse + Dinah Moe were spectacular. Hard to not have fun on anything. Don't expect to need some kind of 170mm monster enduro bike for most of these trails. Do expect to put in miles. Fun, fun miles.

Edit to add Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with any of these business. Just a happy customer/big fan.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    The only reason to stop in at 10 Barrel is to throw bricks in their windows. 10 Barrel is nothing but Anheiser/InBev trying to look like a craft brewer.
    Well, they started as an independent brewer.

Recently, I noticed Elysian Space Dust is being brewed by AB/InBev in Fairfield.

Moderator Moderator
    This site is pretty useful:
    https://bendtrails.org/

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You will have a great time. I would guess that staying at Sunriver that you are on a Family vaca?
    Sunriver is completely laced with bike paved bike paths. From anywhere in the resort you can ride the bike paths to the North end and to Benham Falls. From there you are on the Deschutes River trail or 2 miles to the 41 road and connections into the whole trail system. Catch and release will take you north to lots of other connections. All of the trails are on trail forks or try our local trail site Bend Trails linked below.
    Here is a route I would recommend for those staying in Sunriver.

Get a shuttle or catch Cog to Wanoga snowpark on the road to Mt Bachelor. 25 mins from Sunriver via the Rd to Mt Bachelor. Take Tidly Winks to Kiwa to Upper Tylers to Lower Tylers to Benham Falls to bike Paths back to place in Sunriver. Check lower tylers on Bend trails as there are some midweek logging closures right now. Or try Tiddly to Larsens to Tylers or you get the idea. Thats the fun of the Bend trails as there are endless combinations that you can put together. Trails are getting dry but unless your in the back of a crowd it is no big deal. Also the Mt Bachelor Bike Park is open 7 days a week and all of the high country rides are clear of snow. Flagline is closed until 8/15 for Elk calving. Have a great time and happy riding.

https://bendtrails.org/trails-centra...end-trail-map/

mtb'er
    It is all "nice" riding" and you'll enjoy any option... and wonder why more places in NOcal don't have such welcoming trail systems with so many miles of MTB legal trail. But don't get your hopes up for chunk and gnar... they just don't have it there. There's a reason the 2018 Singlespeed World Championships are in Bend this year

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    ... and wonder why more places in NOcal don't have such welcoming trail systems with so many miles of MTB legal trail.
    Could have something to do with forest managers that either don’t want to help or have their hands tied by too much bureaucratic red tape. Either way, your typo is on point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Im headed up there late next week as well for HC 100, staying in Sunriver for the week after. Its our 3rd year in a row of family vacation there. Its easy to get to the trail system out of Sunriver, just head to Conklin road and then into the system from there. We usually do a family ride day at Phils trailhead (8yo and 11yo daughters)and one at Wanoga with shuttles on Tiddlywinks. We will float the river one day, head to the lakes around Bachelor for a day or two to veg out, High Desert Museum is cool, Bend for a few meals. Bendtrails is a good site as well as MTB Project app.

mtbr member
    Cog Wild for shuttles - Ask for Lev, he is from SC and can give you all the comparisons. If you want guided ride this is the way. Rent a sick santa cruz from Pine Mtn. downstairs
    Crows Feet Commons for downtown bike shop/beers/coffee
    Don't go to 10 Barrel, they're sell outs - Deschutes tasting room/pub or Crux for sunset
    Ride trails at the highest elevation possible for the most fun/conditions

Tip well and don't buy a vacation home, locals are having a hard time keeping up with rising cost of living and stagnate wages.
    *Full of Bias and full of local-that-had-to-move feelings, support my old employers and the local companies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paintballeerXC View Post
    Cog Wild for shuttles - Ask for Lev, he is from SC and can give you all the comparisons. If you want guided ride this is the way. Rent a sick santa cruz from Pine Mtn. downstairs
    THIS. Well, and everything else you said.

CogWild can provide you with everything you need to have a great time out there. Be prepared for dusty blown-out conditions, and then if you end up with some good conditions you'll be pleasantly surprised. Looks like it's going to be pretty hot there for a while. The shuttling there is really more of the "shuttle-assisted XC" variety, you'll be amazed how much pedaling you can end up doing even with a shuttle.

Not much love for Bachelor bike park? It's no Whistler, but it's fun and if you go midweek there will be hardly any lines. They have been stepping up their game and adding some fun stuff. Rockfall is a legit chunky/steep DH line, not a lot of that elsewhere in Bend. From Sunriver you're about the same distance from Bachelor as you are from town.

If there is ANY way you can pull off a day for a side trip, you owe it to yourself to go to Ashland or Oakridge and shuttle. In Ashland, talk to Ashland Mtn Adventures. If you're going with family, Ashland is a cool town with lots to do, Oakridge maybe not so much. Cog does shuttles in Oakridge. Many other places worth stop too. Spence mountain in Klamath is rad and somewhat on the way if you're driving straight to Bend.

Trail Gnome
    It’s been a few years since I’ve been up to Bend. I know the area has been built up a lot since I was there but, the riding was only so-so. Very XC with not much tech; I suppose if that’s what you’re looking for, you’ll enjoy it. I did meet and ride with some locals on McKenzie River trail...they gave us some routes to do...and they let us shower at their home, we were camping. Nice folks up there

inebriate savant
    I was up there all of last week, so I've got a lot of this fresh in my head...

As has been said, Cog Wild is the best spot for shuttles. Rad folks, great trail knowledge, and super easy to work with.

Riding was soooooo rad. Last day trail riding we did Dutchman Flat to Metolius-Windingo to Mzarek, and that was some incredible riding from alpine down through the forests all the way to town. All the usuals - Funner, Tiddlywinks, Tyler's Traverse, Storm King, etc. - are worth riding. There are just so many options, and it's tough to go wrong.

As far as beer goes - Good Life was a favorite post-ride spot for our group. Crux is always good, but has gotten VERY popular (nee crowded). Deschutes is always solid. Bend Brewing Co has gotten a lot better in my opinion, and it's tough to beat shady grass next to the river on a warm afternoon. Had some good beers from Worthy too, though we didn't make it to the brewery/taproom itself.

Feel free to shoot me a PM, I'd be happy to provide more info while it's still fresh. Have a great trip!
    "When life gives you lemons...say f@%k it, and bail"

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonmason View Post

Feel free to shoot me a PM, I'd be happy to provide more info while it's still fresh. Have a great trip!
    Thanks man! Will shoot you a PM later in the week with some ideas.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I rode/stayed there for a week back in 2014. Was the most amazing MTB related experience I have had thus far. I stayed at the Seventh Mountain Resort, which had on site a mini pump track and a skills course. From there it was about 1/2 - 3/4 mile to the Phil’s Trail system, which led to downtown Bend (the lovely brewpubs downtown OMFG radness), and obviously the entirety of the fabulous Phil’s Trail system. I’m not sure where Sunriver is, but the name might imply it is alongside the main river, as is Seventh Mountain Resort…… so plenty of family-centric riding possibilities along the river as well. I guarantee you WILL NOT HAVE A SHITTY TIME THERE. If you like techny trails, Storm King is a must-ride. The Phil’s Trail system also has a really nice dual-slalom dirt-jump-esque pumpy-sorta track nearer to downtown. There are a few ex-Cali-patriots who have recently relocated to Bend, they are on these forums; they can fill in the blanks I have left open.

OH YEAH, DO NOT FORGET: BRING YOUR EMPTY GROWLERS…… all gas stations in Oregon are “attendant pump only” by law, yet many of them (most of them in Bend) have ON-SITE GROWLER REFILLS WHILE THEY PUMP YOUR TANK FULL OF GAS!!! I told ya this place was like Disneyland for craft brew loving mountain bikers, did I not???

Ha! I've stayed at 7th Mountain - we inherited a Worldmark timeshare that uses that joint. Sat through the worst hard-upsell seminar ever, but we got a free week we used the following year at the better spot down the road (where FC has also stayed) from there. That said, there is a gully behind 7th that hooks up with the Deschutes river trail and i believe you can ride various connectors all the way to Sun River. Not that you would want to but if you're staying in SR you could ride Bend-ward. Lots of good riding up the highway from 7th. Just pick a forest service road on the right side of the Mt Bachelor highway and plunge into the trees and you're good to go. Thing about this forest is that you can never really see where you are - no lookouts or promontories that I ever saw - just ride. Good tip about the growlers - hope the beer isn't equivalent to gas station sushi

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post

Recently, I noticed Elysian Space Dust is being brewed by AB/InBev in Fairfield.
    So, so sad.

Rhymes with fartmaster
    I guess things have changed since I was there in 2014. Thanks for the tip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Good tip about the growlers - hope the beer isn't equivalent to gas station sushi
    a sample: https://www.thegrowlerguys.com/on-ta...egon-westside/

Also...long live Growler Guys!

~~~
    Bring tubes and float in the river.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Great thread! Thanks everyone for Bend clues!

Catfish ...

Moderator Moderator
    Definitely going to get a picture at the last Blockbuster in America! Hard to believe....

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/13/us/la...rnd/index.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I shuttled to Swampy, rode to the falls to Phils then Kens to 10 Barrels on Monday, about 27 miles and 1400 of elevation gain according to Strava. It was hot and dusty but well worth it. Take a lot of water, 90+ heat takes a toll and you want to be "fresh" to Max out the Phil's enjoyment.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNovato View Post
    I shuttled to Swampy, rode to the falls to Phils then Kens to 10 Barrels on Monday, about 27 miles and 1400 of elevation gain according to Strava. It was hot and dusty but well worth it. Take a lot of water, 90+ heat takes a toll and you want to be "fresh" to Max out the Phil's enjoyment.
    27 miles and 1400 ft is my kind of easy riding. I'm used to Skeggs, 10 miles and 3k feet!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    27 miles and 1400 ft is my kind of easy riding. I'm used to Skeggs, 10 miles and 3k feet!
    I should add it starts at about 5,800 feet..........

mtbr member
    Definitely going to get a picture at the last Blockbuster in America! Hard to believe....

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/13/us/la...rnd/index.html
    It's an independent store that licensed the Blockbuster name. I remember last time I was up there picking up a pizza next door at Papa Murhpy's and thinking, damn I thought Blockbuster went out of business...

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNovato View Post
    I should add it starts at about 5,800 feet..........
    Very nice! It's supposed to be blistering hot up there next week. We'll see.....

mtbr member
    Maker sure to hit Lower Tyler's and South Fork. Best two DH.

In general, expect a lot of sharp turns and XC. Not much steep.

Fun tech challenges on COD

Pump track and jumps off of Phil's trailhead are epic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    If you can take a day and drive to Oakridge (1.5hrs from sunriver) and shuttle or ride trails in the Waldo lake area for a less XC experience and better dirt quality than Bend. Don't miss Boneyard Beer in Bend.
    Mrwhlr's stepmom rides a 5 spot

mtbr member
    Say it ain't so! I remember the first time we had a brew there. Loved it! These guys sold out??? WTF!!!

Having lived in Bend in the late 1990's (3 years) there were only two brew pubs. Bend Brewing (OK, but...) and Deschutes. The latter was a good fuel stop and brew. In Sisters, there was Twisted Sisters Brewing, but I think they have gone by the way side by now. Sisters has a good intermediate trail for all abilities too.

Of all the riding we did there, our favorite ride was the Tumalo Falls to Flagline and around. The Flagline section can not be accessed/opened until August 15th due to elk caving. But, riding along side the falls is beautiful!

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EndurBro View Post
    If you can take a day and drive to Oakridge (1.5hrs from sunriver) and shuttle or ride trails in the Waldo lake area for a less XC experience and better dirt quality than Bend. Don't miss Boneyard Beer in Bend.
    Oakridge will be great. Waldo will still be high bug season [Oregon mosquitoes are wold class].
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    Oakridge will be great. Waldo will still be high bug season [Oregon mosquitoes are wold class].
    True, I forgot about the Waldo mosquitos. Deet is just an enticing marinade to those vampires from hell. Probably mid August till they clear out.
    Mrwhlr's stepmom rides a 5 spot

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Paying attention to this thread. I will be in La Pine for a week late September.
    So many trails... so little time...

Moderator Moderator
    It's going to be HOT in Bend, but Batchelor looks pretty mild. May just do some bike park laps?

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Been there each of the last three years. For my money, Tyler’s Traverse is the best long trail there (other than Flagline which is closed at the moment) — perfect blend of chunk and flow. The upper part of that trail is dynamite. Don’t leave it to the last day.

Tiddlywinks is a big flow trail with jumps if that’s your thing. I prefer Funner.

COD is great as is Upper Phil’s.

Lots of other terrific trails. Definitely have someone take you to Swampy Lakes and ride down to town at least once. Take the Sector 16 way — it loses elevation more gradually than South Fork and extends the fun.

Plan for long rides and figure out where to refill on water. The trails there are very long. You will be asking yourself why can’t we do this here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Bermstyle covers the Mt Bachelor bike park: Bachelor Bike Park: New Flow Trail Construction

Hella Olde
    Sick!

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    Bermstyle covers the Mt Bachelor bike park: Bachelor Bike Park: New Flow Trail Construction

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RooHarris View Post
    Say it ain't so! I remember the first time we had a brew there. Loved it! These guys sold out??? WTF!!!
    Dont worry. Effectively its just an influx of cash that lets the owners and brewers keep doing their thing except on a larger scale and with more resources.

mtbr member
    I was just in Bend last week. First time for me and I was solo, but I was able to get away from the family for basically the whole day. I shuttled up to Dutchman Flat which is basically at the base of Mt Bachelor. I rode Flagline Access to Flagline to Met-Win to Mrazek all the way back to town. Was about 33 miles and a ton of fun. The heat wasn't too bad for me as I've been riding in 100+ degree heat here in Folsom. Tons of fun though and can't wait to go back and try some other options. I also rode the Dread and Terror segment on the North Umpqua Trail which was also tons of fun.

Had to stop at the Blockbuster as well. My daughter had never been in a video store before and we had heard on the news that there was only going to be one Blockbuster left. We never realized it was in Bend until I did a little research.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbtsc View Post
    I was just in Bend last week. First time for me and I was solo, but I was able to get away from the family for basically the whole day. I shuttled up to Dutchman Flat which is basically at the base of Mt Bachelor. I rode Flagline Access to Flagline to Met-Win to Mrazek all the way back to town. Was about 33 miles and a ton of fun. The heat wasn't too bad for me as I've been riding in 100+ degree heat here in Folsom. Tons of fun though and can't wait to go back and try some other options. I also rode the Dread and Terror segment on the North Umpqua Trail which was also tons of fun.

Had to stop at the Blockbuster as well. My daughter had never been in a video store before and we had heard on the news that there was only going to be one Blockbuster left. We never realized it was in Bend until I did a little research.

Just got back myself Sunday night, great vibe in Bend, family loves it there...so I went by Pine Mountain on Friday, talked to one of the gals about demoing a bike for wife, she mentioned to bring her out for the Monday Night Ladies Ride, so I did...over 50 ladies were on this ride, such a great deal for any skilled rider to go in a group ride with fellow lady riders, heard some nights they get 70-90 women for the ride, wife meet some great ladies and of course now wants a new FS Bike...

Between the hikes and bikes we meet some great people, could not believe how many people from Bay Area have moved there, not sure what Bend or surrounding area will be like in 5-10 years but at the rate they are going with transplants I sure hope they can keep the great feel the town has going for itself.....