Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    kpd
    mtbr member

The Belmont Half Mountain Adventure - post your time

Faced with a lack of local races, I am taking a cue from Bike Monkey and putting on a Silent Q-style event. I'm afraid we're unlikely to see Levi post his time for this one.

[SIZE="4"]The Route[/SIZE]

In Waterdog Lake Park. According to singlespeed.org, there are 386 feet of climbing (68 feet descending) in .62 miles.

The trails are complicated but the directions are very simple:

[SIZE="4"]Start next to the trash can pictured above. Go left at every single junction, except take the next right after you roll the log pile. Keep turning left until you see the view pictured below, finishing at the bushes.[/SIZE] [SIZE="1"](Well, actually the route crosses one steep downhill chute, but don't turn there.)[/SIZE]

Left at every turn except after the logs, OK? Detailed photos of the route are in the post below.

[SIZE="4"]The Rules[/SIZE]
    Yield to all trail users and call out on blind corners. Obviously you won't have to stop as much if you go during a day/time when there aren't many people out.

[SIZE="4"]Time bonuses[/SIZE]
    • Volunteer with one of the Waterdog trailwork days before May 1st: 10 seconds (The groups organizing trailwork have no affiliation with this shenanigan).
    • Post a photo of yourself catching sick air (any ride, any time, any place): 10 seconds. People who can jump (unlike me) deserve credit. Whether your air is sufficiently sick will be judged by the MTBR riffraff.
    • And a gimme-- post a decent action shot of yourself on the route (old pics are OK): 5 seconds.

Post your time, along with comments and lame excuses, in this thread anytime through May 1st, 2009. I will periodically tabulate results here. Also include the date of your attempt. Post as many attempts as you want.

I originally wanted to make this an all mountain event by including a downhill route. Sadly, wiser minds pointed out that even in a place like Carlmont this could be dangerous. So we are left with a brutal technical hillclimb; you'll just have to man up and pedal. At least no one can take issue with the entry fee.
    Last edited by kpd; 04-03-2009 at 09:47 PM.

kpd
    mtbr member

Photos of the route

[SIZE="4"]The entire route stays left except for one turn.[/SIZE]

Start near the trash can. You will be climbing the steep pavers behind the person's head.

[SIZE="3"]The pavers[/SIZE]
    The pavers are very dangerous if you don't hit them with a lot of speed. Dismounting for this section will only cost you a few seconds if your cyclocross run-up skills are good, so it's unlikely to be a significant factor in your time. If you want to try to ride them, here is my advice: sprint all-out for the entire length of the dam and shift way down just before you hit them or while you are starting to go up them. If you feel yourself stalling out on the steep section, do not try to stick it out; dismount to the left side while you still have a little forward momentum and hug the slope. Another tip: try to unweight the bike as you go over the lip at the bottom to avoid pinch-flats.

Go left and enjoy the short downhill. There are some blind corners that are downhill in both directions, so call out.

Stay left, which will force you to climb a short rock garden.

Stay [SIZE="3"]all[/SIZE] the way left, going over the log-pile.

[SIZE="5"]
    This is the (one and only) right turn.[/SIZE]

Up up up!

Ah, you have reached the wall. You are so close now.

Rounding the corner...

Finish at the sagebrush bushes.

Congratulations! Take a moment to enjoy the view. If you throw up, please do so off the trail.
    Last edited by kpd; 03-20-2009 at 10:19 AM.

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    You are so on.

We have to get pics of bonuses within now and 09 May? Is there only one time bonus per bonus type for best time? Single speed bonus or just shut up and deal with it?

Also, KPD, can you please help do a low rent time trial like Dan did last year? I think this is a great idea.

Always yield to strollers, small woodland creatures, grandparents, cougars.

mtbr member
    I guess - after it is dried up a bit?

I could not clear several short climbs this Sunday. Slippery. Wiped out twice. Ouch. Nearly fell in front of what looked like a group taking a lesson riding around them. Embarrassing.

Going up Raccoon Run and Upper Creek and Finch can be a good timed run.

I do not think I will post my time for this one. I am too slow. But I will try.

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    What a great idea! I have no climbing skills, so of course my participation will be limited to watching riders and providing unsolicited remarks (I'm really good at those).
    My presence would be the equivalent of painting lamb's blood on your frame, causing the "angel of crash" to nail me instead.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I like your idea, but why not include those two brutal fireroad uphills pass the lake, instead of just riding up the pavers to the three byatches.

The two uphills and then the three climbs to the final wall is a much more intense time trial.

If it is going to hurt, might as well get the maximum pain and suffering out of it.

swag ho Administrator
    This is nice man. I'm in. I can go in the morning or lunch for minimum trail users.

Then I'm going to set the night record!

fc

screamer
    You're on (as soon as I shake this cold). I love this stuff! Reminds me of when I got into mountain biking as a teenager. I'd time myself on a bunch of short loops locally, and keep track of them all in this little notebook. Man, I wish I still had that. I even had this system of hieroglyphics that kept track of things like mud conditions (got pretty soupy & slow in new england) and when I cleaned a technical section.
    Hey, isn't this basically what the euros call enduro??

kpd
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J
    We have to get pics of bonuses within now and 09 May? Is there only one time bonus per bonus type for best time? Single speed bonus or just shut up and deal with it?
    Old pictures are OK. Only one bonus of each type. I think we should acknowledge singlespeeders with their own category, rather than time bonuses. If I can borrow an SS from someone I'll definitely participate.

Also, KPD, can you please help do a low rent time trial like Dan did last year? I think this is a great idea.
    I'm always up for a time trial!

kpd
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    I guess - after it is dried up a bit?

I do not think I will post my time for this one. I am too slow. But I will try.
    Traction was lovely last night. Even if you don't post a time, let us know if you clean the whole route.

kpd
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll
    I like your idea, but why not include those two brutal fireroad uphills pass the lake, instead of just riding up the pavers to the three byatches.

The two uphills and then the three climbs to the final wall is a much more intense time trial.

If it is going to hurt, might as well get the maximum pain and suffering out of it.
    I picked the route to maximize technical as well as aerobic challenges. I think you will find it satisfies on both fronts.

Maybe we can do your route in May?

kpd
    mtbr member
    SVSocrates, francois, budgie-- thanks! Looking forward to seeing your times and/or heckling commentary.

Urban Ninja
    Weird, I just made a post about looking for more freeride at Waterdog. So the route is in Red? This is a rad idea. I might be able to try this. fc, can you meet me out there on Friday afternoon? I'm looking for as many air photo time bonuses as I can find

Edit: Oops, I thought we had to get photo's of sick air on the route. I'll head behind the high school after to work on that.
    Last edited by jeng; 03-18-2009 at 10:39 AM.
    For Sale: EPIC

Send it!

www.rayscyclebicycles.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpd
    Traction was lovely last night. Even if you don't post a time, let us know if you clean the whole route.
    That is a part of my usual loop, though I do bypass pavers when wet - spilled once. Will time it next time.

I'm a "she".
    I have no business in a challenge like this, but I might still do it and post my time just to make everyone feel good about themselves. It'll probably take me a whole year if not longer to be able to clear this whole route in one shot. Can we keep the thread (spreadsheet) going and maybe do a "checkpoint" every half year?

"Being a woman" bonus or just shut up and deal with it? Okay, I'll go with the latter.

Now, that pavers climb. I know that after you've done it once, it gets easier to work on it. But how to work on that "getting it the first time" without getting hurt? I have never seen anyone do it, so I'm clueless at this point.

Oh, BTW, this is a great idea!
    Inch by inch, I will get there! (See my rides and stuff here.)

mtbr member
    How about adding a second leg of the challenge that is somewhat simpler: [parking lot - Upper Creek - Finch - to the large stone on top of Finch]. Bonus points if you do them back to back.

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm
    Now, that pavers climb. I know that after you've done it once, it gets easier to work on it. But how to work on that "getting it the first time" without getting hurt? I have never seen anyone do it, so I'm clueless at this point.
    I can help you with this. Its speed, shifting halfway up, and commitment.

kpd
    mtbr member
    I have no business in a challenge like this, but I might still do it and post my time just to make everyone feel good about themselves. It'll probably take me a whole year if not longer to be able to clear this whole route in one shot. Can we keep the thread (spreadsheet) going and maybe do a "checkpoint" every half year?
    You are far too modest. I have a feeling you will do quite well.

I'm not going to keep the spreadsheet going past May 1, though it will be there for people to compare to. In May it will be time to move on to new adventures...

"Being a woman" bonus or just shut up and deal with it? Okay, I'll go with the latter.
    No time bonus, but we can slice and dice categories however you want.

kpd
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    How about adding a second leg of the challenge that is somewhat simpler: [parking lot - Upper Creek - Finch - to the large stone on top of Finch]. Bonus points if you do them back to back.
    Crikey! One thing at a time.

The Upper Creek/Finch climb is certainly a good candidate for future endeavors.

~~~
    I picked the route to maximize technical as well as aerobic challenges. I think you will find it satisfies on both fronts.

Maybe we can do your route in May?
    I knew exactly what you were shooting for when I saw your route! I find that short rock garden really tough, because it steepens quickly, and I'm usually too winded to shift my weight correctly and give it that extra "oomph". This one's a lung burner for sure!

mtbr member
    The Upper Creek/Finch climb is certainly a good candidate for future endeavors.
    I was thinking about people like my wife who can not clear your route. Yeah, one thing at a time is right.

Now that I have posted here several times I will have to embarrass myself...

I'm a "she".
    You are far too modest. I have a feeling you will do quite well.
    I know, I know. I was just hoping that by trying to be the most modest person in the world, it can help me climb the pavers and clear that one foot step up on Berry's Trail, the rock garden, and the log pile, etc.

I can help you with this. Its speed, shifting halfway up, and commitment.
    Thanks J! But that's only 20% of the game; the other 80% is the fear of that Uh-oh moment.
    Inch by inch, I will get there! (See my rides and stuff here.)

mtbr member
    Not to discourage you, mudworm, but my one and only attempt at climbing the pavers ended up with an uncomfortable tumble back down the hill. I haven't been able to even try it since (always hike up).

But I've seen it done a few times - the trick seems to be, as J said, enough speed and shifting correctly. Didn't Charles & J do it on a tandem last year?

The pavers and "the wall" are the only 2 climbs at Waterdog I haven't cleared yet.. cool that they are both on this course - nothing like facing up to a challenge

mtbr member
    Anyone have pictures of the Pavers section?

mtbr member

The pavers

Quote Originally Posted by mttamrnr
    Anyone have pictures of the Pavers section?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast