mtbr member
    May 2009

Beginner annadel trails?

Gonna be up in Santa Rosa this coming weekend with the girlfriend, and trying to figure out if it'll be possible to take her on her maiden ride as long as we're up there. Normally I'd do China Camp for a new rider, but scheduling might not allow it.

The usual loop is obviously way too much, but Annadel is a big park, so maybe there are beginner-friendly trails I'm not aware of. Any ideas?

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    If she's not a climber, she will not likely enjoy Annadel. There's just no easy way into the park. Canyon is probably the easiest, most gradual climb, but it's not easy by any means. If she's okay with resting a couple of times on the way up, you'll be okay.

You could ride the trails around Howarth park and Spring Lake and probably find a way to have fun.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    With the fires I typically park on Channel and go Warren Richardson -> N Burma -> Live Oak -> Rough Go -> Orchard -> Cobblestone out.

The climbs you'll find on Richardson (fire road), Live Oak (single track, not too techy but can be punchy), Orchard has one punching climb spot and some mild climb/rollers.

Your downhills are N Burma, some on Rough Go and Cobblestone. They are all rocky and chunky, though the top half of N Burma is much faster and flowier than the lower half.

This ends up a ~8mi ride with about 1k feet of climbing. It's a short ride, about an hour give or take.

I tend not to ride the park much during the weekend, with only 40% open it gets pretty packed Fri/Sat/Sun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Also, I've had experienced friends come up to Annadel and give blood on the rocks. Even fire road descents can be tricky for beginners.

Be careful.

Jeff

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    IMHO, the current closures make Annadel not the best place for a beginner. If you have to do a "first ride" kind of thing, maybe try Channel Trail and see how it is for a 2 mile out and back? There's one short but steep climb, but otherwise it's pretty mellow.

Map: https://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/480/f...p_SO201711.pdf

mtbr member
    May 2007
    up canyon, around lake, down canyon. then find the fun and easier trails around spring lake and Howarth Park. Anything else in Annadel is not beginner friendly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by socobiker View Post
    up canyon, around lake, down canyon. then find the fun and easier trails around spring lake and Howarth Park. Anything else in Annadel is not beginner friendly.

This is the correct answer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    You can make this a loop by going down Richardson and coming back on channel (trail or road) and past spring lake. If they are feeling stoked at this point you can do some extra single track between howarth park and spring lake, can't get too lost but you might go in circles a few times. You could reverse this route too, Richardson is a mellow climb than canyon.

mtbr member
    Canyon has gotten even more beginner friendly since the fires. The bulldozers really smoothed things out.

mtbr member
    What this guy said.

I would park at Howarth. Ease up the paved area to the dam and hang a right onto the gravel at the water tanks, a few nice little bits of single track from there to the other dam.

Then canyon and lake.

On your way back consider the Dirt Crit stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    this it definitely the right answer. i use this as my weekday before" i have to cook dinner" run.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Sounds like making time for China Camp is the way to go. Any recommendations for bike rentals near there? Or on the way to/from SF.

NedwannaB
    Don't know why you're being steered away from Annadel if you'll be in Santa Rosa! Not sure how much of a newbie or what kind of bike you're looking to get but @BreakAway Bikes is right across/adjacent to the park. Plenty of riding out from there thru Howarth Park/Spring Lake clockwise out Channel Trail up WP Richardson to Lake Ilsanjo, or ccw on Canyon to the lake, then down WP back. Depending on when you ride more tree coverage going cw up WP vs ccw up Canyon. Either way your ride partner will enjoy it.

Feel free to PM for particulars if you want.
    Last edited by JMac47; 02-14-2018 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Typo
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....