Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Puro Vida!

Beer in Keg Recommendations Please

So I'm getting married next month and while I usually prefer hard alcohol-it's not allowed at the place of our reception-doesn't mean I won't sneak any in-just means I can't serve it openly. Beer is though! So I knew immediately where to go for recommendations on beer to serve-MTBR!
    I was going to go get cases of Pliny the Elder but at $105.00 a case and a limit of one a person a day, just seems like too much trouble. I don't think most of the people attending are much more than Coors, Corona type drinkers-but I still want good beer.
    I'd like to get something easily available in a keg, but can do bottles as well. So hoping to get some recommendations-please. Food is mostly American I think-maybe some Filipino and a Sushi station. I can get more details on the food if that matters? Maybe a light and a dark beer. Thanks!

mtbr member
    WAHHHH!!!/ Congrats dude! Can we have a Bachelor Party Ride? (Preferably weeks before wedding so you don't inadvertently walk down the aisle with road rash)

As for Beer, no idea but Sierra Nevada is a safe bet.
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

mtbr member

Sudwerks in Davis. They have a great selection of lagers. I would recommend a keg of Märzen and a keg of Helles. Very drinkable, great flavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Tied House in Mt View is pretty good. The plus is that their kegs are about $100.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    If your group is mostly BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors) kinda folks, then buying an expensive craft beer that that has more flavor, more hops, and more alcohol would probably be money wasted. They either won't drink it, or won't like it....and neither is good when your trying encourage people to get out on the dance floor and do the Chicken Dance in your honor.

I'd recommend a more benign beer that's sure to be a hit most beer drinkers. This doesn't mean you have to go so pedestrian as BMC. Look for Helles and Pilsners from better brewers. If you're in SJ you will find some really great authentic European inspired lagers from Gordon Biersch (Czech Pils, Marzen, Sommerbrau, and Festbier are usually crown pleasers). Also keeping it local, check out Trummer Pils from Berkeley. Think nice crisp refreshing beer with more flavor and depth than standard BMC, but still approved as a beer for the masses (similar to a Stella).

You could always split kegs....one mellow beer and one for the true aficionados. This way you can take it deep on the second option...go with a big pale ale, IPA, or hoppy amber ale. So many options here, there's just too much to type.

Puro Vida!

Quote Originally Posted by ebeer View Post
    If your group is mostly BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors) kinda folks, then buying an expensive craft beer that that has more flavor, more hops, and more alcohol would probably be money wasted. They either won't drink it, or won't like it....and neither is good when your trying encourage people to get out on the dance floor and do the Chicken Dance in your honor.

I'd recommend a more benign beer that's sure to be a hit most beer drinkers. This doesn't mean you have to go so pedestrian as BMC. Look for Helles and Pilsners from better brewers. If you're in SJ you will find some really great authentic European inspired lagers from Gordon Biersch (Czech Pils, Marzen, Sommerbrau, and Festbier are usually crown pleasers). Also keeping it local, check out Trummer Pils from Berkeley. Think nice crisp refreshing beer with more flavor and depth than standard BMC, but still approved as a beer for the masses (similar to a Stella).

You could always split kegs....one mellow beer and one for the true aficionados. This way you can take it deep on the second option...go with a big pale ale, IPA, or hoppy amber ale. So many options here, there's just too much to type.
    I totally agree with this-I've tried giving people used to BMC craft beer and get mixed responses. I was planning on getting a keg or bottles of Corona or Pacifico and then there will be some in the crowd that enjoy a good beer and want to get something more tastefully. Now just to pick the right tasteful one.

Puro Vida!

Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    WAHHHH!!!/ Congrats dude! Can we have a Bachelor Party Ride? (Preferably weeks before wedding so you don't inadvertently walk down the aisle with road rash)

As for Beer, no idea but Sierra Nevada is a safe bet.
    I'd be down for a ride! Maybe demo-if you would have time-you are the man when it comes to Demo. BBQ and beer after?

Recreational Terrorist
    Go with a good german beer. Bevmo carries 13.2gal kegs of Paulaner Oktoberfest and Premium Lager for $180. Both taste way better than BMC and are not too hoppy like most craft beer.

Dark Horse Racing
    Like it was stated earlier that if your guests are not aquainted with craft beers it would be a waste of money. I am one of those that would drink 6 "cheap" light beers over 1 craft beer, so if you want people to get their boogie on at your reception get a keg of beer that you think most people will drink and not get bitter beer face over. Cheers

ask
    user
    Aug 2009

Congrats! I second the bachelor party ride idea that Squashyo had.

As for beer... I'd look into some Lagunitas keg options. Good beer and way wider distribution than Russian River.

PS- Good chatting with you at the Trailhead Swap meet last weekend.

Puro Vida!

Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    Congrats! I second the bachelor party ride idea that Squashyo had.

As for beer... I'd look into some Lagunitas keg options. Good beer and way wider distribution than Russian River.

PS- Good chatting with you at the Trailhead Swap meet last weekend.
    Likewise! Well that's three of us for a ride so far!

mtbr member
    I am totally down for this as well. I am free all this and next weekend (family is heading to LA for a week...the house will be a mess. Though, giving a tour of SC on the 17th). Just pick a day and I'll start a new thread.

Puro Vida!

Sunday is a possibility or next weekend? Next weekend is sea otter yeah?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would skip the keg ,I had a keg for a party and hardly anyone drank it had to take it back over half full. How many people at the wedding? With BMC I'd fiqure a 6 pack apiece. With a better beer 3-4 . BevMo has a lot to chose from ,pick out whatever looks good in the craft area.

swag ho Administrator
    There is one beer we call the Gateway Beer... Lagunitas IPA. The other ones are New Belgium Ranger and Deschuttes IPA or Ale, Stone IPA

Get that and the beer elite will respect you, the beer fans will love you and the beer noobs will be curious.

It is one of few beers that is recognizable and drinkable my many. Having bottles is a good idea too but have folks pour those in cups since that tastes better. Do not get any keg of Sierra Nevada, Hefeweisen, Lager, Blue Moon kegs.... bottles at most.

Basically whatever folks are paying $10 for at the Giants ballpark is what you want in that keg.

fc
    Last edited by francois; 04-10-2013 at 11:36 AM.
    IPA will save America

Puro Vida!

Thanks everyone for the info-

Trail Blazer
    bachelor/420 ride?

Puro Vida!

4/20 sounds like a good day

~~~

Beer in Keg Recommendations Please-ridin.jpg

Trail Blazer

Weird huh?
    Tonight, let it be Lowenbrau...
    ...You'll find me chugging a gallon of Pliny sooner than going hipstertard ~ Menso

mtbr member
    er, not trying to be a dick but I think I'd like to keep the two separate. TOTALLY want in on any bachelor party ride but my hunch is that ride will be a bigger group with lots of loitering (which I am super down for). The ride I have planned for 4/20 will be casual but want to log some miles to make it a proper tour. (a bit more paced) I suppose we could always separate into different crews but ...er...I dunno.

If you do this weekend, I am down by law! word

Trail Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    er, not trying to be a dick but I think I'd like to keep the two separate. TOTALLY want in on any bachelor party ride but my hunch is that ride will be a bigger group with lots of loitering (which I am super down for). The ride I have planned for 4/20 will be casual but want to log some miles to make it a proper tour. (a bit more paced) I suppose we could always separate into different crews but ...er...I dunno.

If you do this weekend, I am down by law! word
    That's cool. It was just a thought. I'm down for either weekend.

Puro Vida!

I can't do Saturday-and next week is booked-maybe sometime may 11th/12? I think the 27th was a no yeah? Or the 4th? Might be able to do this Sunday-something tells me something going on though

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    I was going to go get cases of Pliny the Elder but at $105.00 a case and a limit of one a person a day, just seems like too much trouble. I don't think most of the people attending are much more than Coors, Corona type drinkers-but I still want good beer.
    Anchor Steam. It's a good beer, goes great with many types of food and won't offend most folks used to drinking adjunct lagers like Coors, etc. Pliny would definitely offend most folks who normally drink far less hopped beers. And for those who liked it, they may well get extremely hammered given how much stronger in alcohol it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast