Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Bay Area Trail name origins

I was riding Demo today and while trying to avoid heat stroke on the climbs, I started thinking about the origins of Bay Area trail names. Some are fairly obvious like Ridge & Sawpit, others not so much. For example, I couldn't think of an obvious reason for why Braille has it's name.

Out on the trails, I've heard some fellow riders tell some interesting about how trails got their names. One that comes to Mind is Steam Donkey at Skeggs from the steam trains when the placed was being logged. Some of them are probably BS b/c somebody else told a different story, but interesting conversation nonetheless!

Anybody have some interesting anecdotes / factoids / trivia about the names of our trails?

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    resolution has to be one of the most interesting and tragic: BCPA Flight 304 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've never had a Pliny
    There used to be a trail at Skegg's called 914 because the trail went through the door openings of an old Porsche 914. It was a great trail and disappeared/was heavily sanitized years ago.

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by atayl0r View Post
    There used to be a trail at Skegg's called 914 because the trail went through the door openings of an old Porsche 914. It was a great trail and disappeared/was heavily sanitized years ago.

dvo
    mtbr member
    Just ride more....

mtbr member
    Great stuff! Love the incorporation of the Porsche into the trail. Was that IMBA approved construction? Where in Skeggs was that?

Thanks for the clarification on the Steam Donkey - may favorite part of reading that Wiki entry was learning that a person who operates a Steam Donkey is called a "Donkey Puncher" (look that up on Urban Dictionary if you want to know an alternate meaning)

mtbr member

Re: Bay Area Trail name origins

Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    resolution has to be one of the most interesting and tragic: BCPA Flight 304 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    B-17 trail still has an engine near it.

sent remotely

mtbr member
    "Someone" once told me that Braille got its name because it gets so dusty that it obscures the trail and you have read the trail by feel.

It sounds like urban legend to me and it's probably BS, but it does feel true when you're riding in the back of your group.

mtbr member
    I was told that is was primarily built and ridden at night so you had to use Braille to find your way down. I ran into one of the guys who built it...if I see him again, I'll ask.

I think most of the clever named trails around here can't really be discussed.

Anyone remember Moody in LG...wonder how that got it's name.

Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs View Post
    "Someone" once told me that Braille got its name because it gets so dusty that it obscures the trail and you have read the trail by feel.

It sounds like urban legend to me and it's probably BS, but it does feel true when you're riding in the back of your group.
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Great stuff! Love the incorporation of the Porsche into the trail. Was that IMBA approved construction? Where in Skeggs was that?
    Methuselah trail

Sure I remember Moody, maybe because you had to be in the Mood to possibly lose some flesh
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Cool Thread. Most of the Tam stuff is pretty self explanatory and named after early residents of the mountain or the trail builders. Still, there are a few I'd love to know more about, like:

Nora Trail: I have not come across anything about Nora in the Tam history stuff I've read.
    HooKooEKoo: I cheated and looked this one up. One of three bands of early coastal Miwoks.
    Kent: Owned almost all of Tam at various points and his family gifted it all back to the state over different periods. Was the original namesake of Muir Woods but rejected the honor and asked that it be named after John Muir.

China Camp would have some fun ones but maybe best left offline.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member

Methuselah at skeggs

[QUOTE=TahoeBC;11254410]Methuselah trail

I always wondered if Methuselah was named after the biblical character who lived forever. I think Methuselah is the longest trail at Skeggs, and the most horrible climb out for sure!

mtbr member
    Cinderella trail in JMP named after Cinderella creek, same with Fern Ravine trail. This is probably common knowledge for anyone that's looked at a map of the park though..
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Crazy Pete's Trail:
    In One Life, Mine Emma Stolte Garrod recounts her experiences growing up on a subsistence farm in the Santa Cruz Mountains, attending a one-room school, and living life in her rural mountaintop community; also recalled Crazy Pete O’Shaunessey

" One that stands out in my memory was Pete O’Shaunessey ("Crazy Pete") an Irish man, tall and well-built, of amazing strength with piercing black eyes, and high-bridged nose, coal black hair and beard-always too long and uncombed. He went unbathed too, his clothing always in rags and oh-so-dirty. The way he lived and what he cooked in his tumbled-own shanty was beyond description. And his mind was full of vagaries and fancies.

Pete worked for Father for years clearing land and cutting cordwood. He had to imaginary associates, the Little One who was good and the Big One who was bad. Sometimes he would cut down big pine, four or five feet in diameter and then go home and not touch it again four weeks. If asked about it, he would explain that the Big One had been there and put knots in it and made it too hard.

Then would come a day when his ax and saw could be heard hard at work. Pete would explain then that night the Little one had jumped over it, now it was easy to cut.

In the spring, he would plant gardens here and there and the woods. When some cow came by and ate his vegetables it was alright; "the good Lord told her to"
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

roadie

demonstration forest logging names

the story i heard about the naming of Braille was that at the time when Demo was only Ridge, Tractor and Sawpit some of the guys would ride down an unnamed skid trail at night with these puny 3w headlamps and even punier suspensions. so one night they were riding down the remnants of said unnamed skid trail and unable to see anything one of the guys exclaimed that he couldn't see anything and something about it feeling like they were "riding by braille." fast forward a bit and one day a little ribbon appeared at the entrance of the trail (placed by Patty perhaps?) and the jig was up - but the trail was eventually opened, with some rerouting (again, Patty would know more) and as a bit of a surprise they not only kept the name but delivered a sign making it official.

Sawpit is just that, a pit where you saw. a log would lay over the pit and get cut lengthwise into planks by hand. the saw would be operated by two men; one in the pit below the log, the other above him and the log. pretty crappy job as i understand it.

Tractor speaks to the change in logging practices from the use of steam engines (steam donkeys) in the 19th century to internal combustion (tractors) of the 20th.

mtbr member
    I too have a mind "full of vagaries".

Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    Crazy Pete's Trail:
    In One Life, Mine Emma Stolte Garrod recounts her experiences growing up on a subsistence farm in the Santa Cruz Mountains, attending a one-room school, and living life in her rural mountaintop community; also recalled Crazy Pete O’Shaunessey

" One that stands out in my memory was Pete O’Shaunessey ("Crazy Pete") an Irish man, tall and well-built, of amazing strength with piercing black eyes, and high-bridged nose, coal black hair and beard-always too long and uncombed. He went unbathed too, his clothing always in rags and oh-so-dirty. The way he lived and what he cooked in his tumbled-own shanty was beyond description. And his mind was full of vagaries and fancies.

Pete worked for Father for years clearing land and cutting cordwood. He had to imaginary associates, the Little One who was good and the Big One who was bad. Sometimes he would cut down big pine, four or five feet in diameter and then go home and not touch it again four weeks. If asked about it, he would explain that the Big One had been there and put knots in it and made it too hard.

Then would come a day when his ax and saw could be heard hard at work. Pete would explain then that night the Little one had jumped over it, now it was easy to cut.

In the spring, he would plant gardens here and there and the woods. When some cow came by and ate his vegetables it was alright; "the good Lord told her to"
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member

Resolution

Trail at Skeggs is where an airliner called the Resolution crashed in 1953

BCPA Flight 304 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can still see pieces if you know where to look.

Edit: Oops, rox beat me to it.

Formerly at Skeggs: Devil's Staircase, Nosebreak, and Faceplant.
    Tequila is a pallid flame that passes through walls and soars over tile roofs to allay despair. A. Mutis

mtbr member
    I remember Moody too. 18 or 19 years ago. It was named after Moody Gulch, at Sierra Azul.
    Tequila is a pallid flame that passes through walls and soars over tile roofs to allay despair. A. Mutis

Uncle
    $2 Hill (officially known as Sunset Trail) in Joaquin Miller Park was supposedly the amount that the early pioneers would wager before attempts to climb it. The trail has since been rerouted such that it is twice as easy to climb, thus locals refer to the rerouted portion as Lone Buck.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    I was riding Demo today and while trying to avoid heat stroke on the climbs, I started thinking about the origins of Bay Area trail names. Some are fairly obvious like Ridge & Sawpit, others not so much. For example, I couldn't think of an obvious reason for why Braille has it's name.

Out on the trails, I've heard some fellow riders tell some interesting about how trails got their names. One that comes to Mind is Steam Donkey at Skeggs from the steam trains when the placed was being logged. Some of them are probably BS b/c somebody else told a different story, but interesting conversation nonetheless!

Anybody have some interesting anecdotes / factoids / trivia about the names of our trails?
    F@g Rock Hill at Rockville. Don't ask. Don't tell.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

I like mtn biking, too

Bay Area Trail name origins

[QUOTE=bchains;11254503]
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Methuselah trail

I always wondered if Methuselah was named after the biblical character who lived forever. I think Methuselah is the longest trail at Skeggs, and the most horrible climb out for sure!
    Methuselah is an ancient redwood tree just across the street from CM-02 entrance to Skeggs. Go check it out sometime! The girth is massive, but at some point in recent years the top of it blew down.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    And just to be confusing…Methuselah is also the name of a more famous tree, known for decades as the oldest living tree anywhere, a Bristlecone pine in the White Mountains which is 4,800 years plus old.

It's no longer the oldest though - last year they documented another Bristlecone in the same area which is over 5,000 years old.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by modbog View Post
    the story i heard about the naming of Braille was that at the time when Demo was only Ridge, Tractor and Sawpit some of the guys would ride down an unnamed skid trail at night with these puny 3w headlamps and even punier suspensions. so one night they were riding down the remnants of said unnamed skid trail and unable to see anything one of the guys exclaimed that he couldn't see anything and something about it feeling like they were "riding by braille." fast forward a bit and one day a little ribbon appeared at the entrance of the trail (placed by Patty perhaps?) and the jig was up - but the trail was eventually opened, with some rerouting (again, Patty would know more) and as a bit of a surprise they not only kept the name but delivered a sign making it official.
    Same story I heard.

I also heard that Dead Campers was literally named for some murders that took place in that area in the late 70s early 80s (or something like that).

dvo
    mtbr member
    Springboard
    Bay Area Trail name origins-felling_a_gumtree_c1884-1917_powerhouse_museum.jpg
    Just ride more....

dvo
    mtbr member
    Fremont and Cora Older
    Name:  cora-fremont-older.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  26.9 KB
    Encyclopedia of San Francisco
    Just ride more....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast