Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by Esses View Post
    Same story I heard.

I also heard that Dead Campers was literally named for some murders that took place in that area in the late 70s early 80s (or something like that).
    in early February 1973, Herb Mullin was wandering around Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park where he saw four teenage boys out camping. He walked over to them, engaged in a brief conversation and claimed to be a park ranger. He ordered them to leave because they were "polluting" the forest, but they refused. He told them he would return the next day. The boys, who were armed with a .22 rifle, did not take this seriously. Mullin did return, shot them to death, and abandoned their bodies, which were not found until the next week.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Dang. I looked him up on the interwebs, and he killed 13 people over a period over a few months.

A local trail/IPA expert, Hoser, told me that an old name for a section of that trail is called "Ring of Fire"--possibly the scene of the crime?
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

I've never had a Pliny
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Nice pic Empty! Memories - riding all that on a fully rigid. There were some stupid-hard trails around there back then. Made Leaf Trail look like a stroll.

mtbr member
    An insight to how my brain works:

I heard the story about the Dead Campers and immediately thought how that is a terrible area to camp because it's so steep with very few flat spots. I suppose that a normal person would have immediately thought how sad and tragic it was.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post

I think most of the clever named trails around here can't really be discussed.

Anyone remember Moody in LG...wonder how that got it's name.
    Haha, true. Emma McCrary is a pretty obvious naming convention.

Oh man, I grew up riding Moody in the early 90s. Brutal even after I got my super cutting edge Rock Shox Mag20 fork!
    I'm not sure it was ever cleaned gracefully (not by me anyway).

Do you remember Steps at Jones then? Or the drop in wall at the clearing and the steep direct route to the top?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost

roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    A local trail/IPA expert, Hoser, told me that an old name for a section of that trail is called "Ring of Fire"--possibly the scene of the crime?
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    I heard the story about the Dead Campers and immediately thought how that is a terrible area to camp because it's so steep with very few flat spots. I suppose that a normal person would have immediately thought how sad and tragic it was.

this would be the on the east side of 9 near the "garden of eden" (added creepiness, police responded to the scene just before dark so some of those guys in the picture would have had to camp out there the first night!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by modbog View Post

this would be the on the east side of 9 near the "garden of eden" (added creepiness, police responded to the scene just before dark so some of those guys in the picture would have had to camp out there the first night!)
    Ah - so this happened on the east side of 9 - probably near the river? - so it really wasn't near the trail?

mtbr member
    At Tamarancho, Alchemist is named so because it connects Iron Springs to Goldman.
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

mtbr member
    Delete
    Last edited by Dpca10; 06-12-2014 at 10:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by splatworldwide View Post
    At Tamarancho, Alchemist is named so because it connects Iron Springs to Goldman.
    Nice! I never would have put that together

mtbr member

Bay Area Trail name origins

Back in the early 90's I attended UCSC. I brought my steel stump jumper, upgraded with a mag21, with me my freshman year. There weren't a whole lot of Mtn bikers up there at the time (and even fewer student ones) and it was common to ride around on upper campus for a few hrs in the evening and never see another biker (also, to cross into gray whale back then meant quietly hopping a big gate at twin gates and riding for your life past some crazy dogs).

At the time there was only one main trail going down the backside of campus: dead campers. But there were quite a few narrow hiking trails and deer trails being ridden, many of which would dead end at one of the many encampments hidden out there. One trail in particular, a few buddies and I really put our time into: meeting there after class, removing branches, foot-tamping turns while stopped for a fire safety break, etc. The trail had no name at the time that we were aware of, but with v-brakes fairly new on the market and freshly installed, we were sliding through the deep redwood duff. For obvious reasons we began to refer to it as Lock 'em Ups...

just another bleepin SSer
    Rumor has it that Finch Trail and Berry Trail in Waterdog are named after two of the people who were very involved with building the trails there (John Finch and Berry Stevens), and not after birds and fruits that happen to be found in the area. Of course, this could only be rumor, as the park district has a rule saying that trails can't be named after living people.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    Business: www.calkayakermag.com
    Personal: www.singlespeed.org
    自転車が好きだよ

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Moody was an awesome trail. Back then Jones Trail was a ripping single track with some nice berm turns. Not 100% certain, but I believe Moody's was originally cut by a guy named Mike Moody who was one of the original ROMP members and a really nice guy.

Paper or plastic?
    Supposedly, Horse Heaven in Mission Peak was named that way because that's where the ranchers would take their old horses to put them down.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You can find an old wagon wheel off the side of wagon wheel at Tamarancho if you know where to look. You can also see the old wagon route if you look uphill after riding the main rock garden on wagon wheel going clockwise.

Crazed Country Rebel

$2 hill in Oakland Hills was named for the women of the night who used to do their jobs in the woods , atop that trail.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    +10 for historical context...thats a cool story
    Quote Originally Posted by plantdude View Post
    Back in the early 90's I attended UCSC. I brought my steel stump jumper, upgraded with a mag21, with me my freshman year. There weren't a whole lot of Mtn bikers up there at the time (and even fewer student ones) and it was common to ride around on upper campus for a few hrs in the evening and never see another biker (also, to cross into gray whale back then meant quietly hopping a big gate at twin gates and riding for your life past some crazy dogs).

At the time there was only one main trail going down the backside of campus: dead campers. But there were quite a few narrow hiking trails and deer trails being ridden, many of which would dead end at one of the many encampments hidden out there. One trail in particular, a few buddies and I really put our time into: meeting there after class, removing branches, foot-tamping turns while stopped for a fire safety break, etc. The trail had no name at the time that we were aware of, but with v-brakes fairly new on the market and freshly installed, we were sliding through the deep redwood duff. For obvious reasons we began to refer to it as Lock 'em Ups...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by American Flyer View Post
    Moody was an awesome trail. Back then Jones Trail was a ripping single track with some nice berm turns. Not 100% certain, but I believe Moody's was originally cut by a guy named Mike Moody who was one of the original ROMP members and a really nice guy.
    Moody still is an awesome trail.

It gets cleared out & maintained every once in a while by a dedicated few.
    If you know where it is, check it out!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARider View Post
    Moody still is an awesome trail.

It gets cleared out & maintained every once in a while by a dedicated few.
    If you know where it is, check it out!
    Funny. I was rebuilding that thing year over year but gave up a couple years back. Those evil plants grow like crazy and the PO was horrible. Glad to hear someone else took up the reigns. We are talking about Moody in Santa Teresa of course. Move along.
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

roadie
    scofflaw

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Funny. I was rebuilding that thing year over year but gave up a couple years back. Those evil plants grow like crazy and the PO was horrible. Glad to hear someone else took up the reigns. We are talking about Moody in Santa Teresa of course. Move along.
    What were the evil plants? Was it French or Scots broom? That's the scourge of Marin and San Mateo Counties.

Weird huh?
    I was told that is was primarily built and ridden at night so you had to use Braille to find your way down. I ran into one of the guys who built it...if I see him again, I'll ask.

I
    That about sums it up...
    And don't do the burrito jump... Francois

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    What were the evil plants? Was it French or Scots broom? That's the scourge of Marin and San Mateo Counties.
    I'm no plantaculturalist but there are all kinds of skin/tire puncturing varieties up here in the LG hills. Grows insanely fast and nowhere near brittle...and PO up the ying yang.
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

Retro on Steroids
    No one has mentioned the most famous MTB trail ever, "Repack," named in coaster brake days of the '70s for what you had to do to your hub after one trip down it.

We call one short branch trail near Tamarancho the "Broken Hand" after what I did on it in 1976. Another trail, now closed to mountain bikes, was the "Lost Lens" trail, after my friend lost his very expensive Nikon lens there.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    No one has mentioned the most famous MTB trail ever, "Repack," named in coaster brake days of the '70s for what you had to do to your hub after one trip down it.

We call one short branch trail near Tamarancho the "Broken Hand" after what I did on it in 1976. Another trail, now closed to mountain bikes, was the "Lost Lens" trail, after my friend lost his very expensive Nikon lens there.
    Everybody know Repack was named for the many "smokables" incinerated by local hippies who frequently went on nature hikes in that area.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast