Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Bay Area Pro Sports Teams

Giants are 7.5 up on the dirty bas**rds, 49ers look great, the AAA's are battling for the wild card and have a great shot at taking the division. The raiders totally suck and have no chance at making the playoffs, probably can't beat the fins this weekend.
    I can't stand the A's or the raiders, I hope they lose the rest of their games.
    Last edited by sfgiantsfan; 09-15-2012 at 03:47 PM.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

swag ho Administrator
    Yep, best season for sports. And best Bay Area year in a while!

fc

mtbr member
    And what have the A's done to you? Or is it an East Bay factor?

jrm
    mtbr member

A's killed it last night

might try to go today
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    I don't know how many fall into this category, but I am the rare A's/Niners fan. You have to be a die hard hater not to like this A's team. 2nd lowest payroll in baseball and 4th best record (better than the Giants at the moment). Personally, I thought they were a 100 loss team going into the season but they are making the Bad News Bears look like underachievers.

The Niners looked like a Super Bowl team against the Packers. I'm curious to see how they play against the Lions tomorrow night.

The whole vibe feels like the late 80's again when pretty much every bay area team was good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DerrickT View Post
    And what have the A's done to you? Or is it an East Bay factor?
    They lost to the dodgers is the world series, and swept the giants in the WS, either one is unforgivable.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    The Giants look great this year, and the 49ers look unstopable ! I think this is our year to bring the superbowl back to the bay area. I also enjoyed watching the dodgers spending all that money ,and still not being able to catch the Giants. Who's got it better than us? NOBODY

It's about showing up.
    A's victory over the Giants in the series gets an asterisk. Rest factors put the two best pitchers in baseball in 4 consecutive games.

Never have been an As fan. When they first arrived we went to the Coliseum to see Yastremski, the Tigers and such, but not the As; they were incidental. It has never changed.

Straight away Giants fan, here, going back to Almafitano, Kirkland, San Jones, Mays. I'm sure being raised as a kid on National League baseball had its effect.

49ers....is that mormon kid who took over after Montana left still playing? Raiders...zippo. Football gets none of my attention until the World Series is over adn even then I'd rather ride in the rain.

Warriors/Sharks/Quakes...nothin'.

Question: Are the Giants winning the NL West or the Dodgers simply losing it?
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 09-15-2012 at 07:19 PM.
    I don't rattle.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    ... the Gays are battling for the wild card...
    Classy.

mtbr member
    I'm more of a Cal fan than Stanford, but any Nor Cal team that beats USC is just fine by me. I can't believe St.Louis gave up 2 runs with 2 outs and nobody on base to keep the Dodgers on life support. Giants are keeping their foot on the gas as are the A's in the race for the playoffs. I don't hate the A's, just love the Giants. Funny how all the EBay Giants haters call the Giants fans bandwagon jumpers when they have been selling out the park for 12 years while the A's had 10,000 fans per game until the last month. I know some will blame the backlash shown to the owner for selling off/trading talent and the threat to move to SJ, but if you REALLY love your team, then you show up, sell out the house and SHOW the owner that you want this team in Oakland. SF Niners are impressive on the field and show the talent and discipline needed to return to the playoffs, the Raiders remain a sad story. If this is a "commitment to excellence" I would hate to see their idea of non commitment. This franchise needs to let go of the past. Is Al still calling the shots from the grave?
    "Time won't leave me as I am "

Wuss extraordinare
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger13 View Post
    , the Raiders remain a sad story. If this is a "commitment to excellence" I would hate to see their idea of non commitment. This franchise needs to let go of the past. Is Al still calling the shots from the grave?
    If this is a commitment to excellence then may I be crappy all my life! Go niners!

mtbr member
    . If this is a "commitment to excellence" I would hate to see their idea of non commitment. This franchise needs to let go of the past. Is Al still calling the shots from the grave?[/QUOTE]

Al was dead for five years before anyone knew, I think it was like Weekend at Bernies over there. Another stellar performance by the The Raaaaaaiiiiiders. It makes my whole week when they lose.
    Giants are getting crushed but we have the Niners in a couple hours. That should be a good game.

mtbr member
    I was an A's fan in the 70's. Giants fan in the Barry Bonds era.
    Raiders fan until they moved away. 49'er fan until Eddie D was removed.

My take on pro sports.

60's - Giants had stars, but always seemed to fail. 49'ers LOL.

70's - Go A's. They dominated. Charley Finely was an innovator. Raiders had the best win percentage. The Raiders really dominated back then. Too bad they tried to live in the past for the next 20 years.

80's and 90's - Belonged to the 49'ers. Eddie DeBartolo and Carmen Policy built a dynasty with Walsh, Montana, Young, Rice, Lott and many more great players. A's did well. Giants, I really don't remember.

00 - A's seemed like a farm club for the Red Sox. Play well and you go the east coast. I'd watch the Giants just to watch Barry Bonds at bat. Sure, he was juiced, but MLB, the players union, and the Giants made serious money off the daily home run derby. I think it's a witch hunt. No one is offering to refund ticket money for illegal players in games. 49'ers... after the sister took over and Carmen Policy burned up all of the salary cap money, I lost interest.

Hockey - I went to a few games to watch the Seals get clubbed by other teams. Sharks at the Cow Palace, the rink was too small. San Jose is too far to drive for a night game.

Basketball? Never really liked the game. Playing or watching. (Globe Trotters excepted.) I understood it better when someone explained, "Basketball is a contact sport. Football is a collision sport." OK, it now makes sense how to legally knock someone down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I think it is great both the A's and the Giants are doing well. It's really fun to see the Giants play as a team. Bonds didn't do much for me, and the overall impression was that he and his home runs were more important than winning games.

I've been an on and off A's fan since the '70's. It was great fun and drama to watch a bunch of largely low budget, shaggy guys scramble and win. And they always seem to have some exciting players. This year, it has been great to watch them completely turn around from horrible to excellent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan View Post
    I think it is great both the A's and the Giants are doing well. It's really fun to see the Giants play as a team. Bonds didn't do much for me, and the overall impression was that he and his home runs were more important than winning games.

I've been an on and off A's fan since the '70's. It was great fun and drama to watch a bunch of largely low budget, shaggy guys scramble and win. And they always seem to have some exciting players. This year, it has been great to watch them completely turn around from horrible to excellent.
    I would agree. Too bad Barry got taken out of the game, just as the Giants became great. Or maybe that is part of it.

Remember the "Ball Girls"? They were hot!!! The A's started it, where did they go?

Many don't know that Rollie Fingers grew his signature handlebar mustache due to Finley giving the players a bonus ($100?) for growing one back then. While the Yankees were the clean cut players, the A's were the winning shaggy dogs.

And there was Billy Ball. I guess twice. Billy Martin and Billy Bean. LOL.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevXR View Post
    Hockey - I went to a few games to watch the Seals get clubbed by other teams. Sharks at the Cow Palace, the rink was too small. San Jose is too far to drive for a night game.
    The ECHL's San Francisco Bulls start their season October 3 at the Cow Palace! Minor league hockey gives a lot of entertainment per dollar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevXR View Post

Remember the "Ball Girls"? They were hot!!! The A's started it, where did they go?
    Have you heard of Mrs. Fields cookies? She was one of the original A's ball girls believe it or not.

aka baycat
    **** the Dodgers

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A's will do much better in San Jose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fgiraffe View Post
    The ECHL's San Francisco Bulls start their season October 3 at the Cow Palace! Minor league hockey gives a lot of entertainment per dollar.
    Hockey is so much better live. When the puck and everyone's attention goes to the far end of the rink, nasty things happen at the other end. I watched a Leafs vs Devils game. Ouch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Have you heard of Mrs. Fields cookies? She was one of the original A's ball girls believe it or not.
    I meant why did the A's stop using ball girls. Probably too much of a distraction for the players.

Mrs Fields was a ball girl. Wow!

I was in Fentons in Oakland having a milkshake, where they would bring a glass and the stainless mixing container. I was making eye contact with one of the A's ball girls and trying to be suave as I poured the milkshake into the glass. It came out in one big blob, half in the glass, half across the table (forgot to tap it on the glass while pouring.). Well, I gave everyone a good laugh, including the A's Girls. I then sheepishly drank what is left of my milkshake. Clean up on table 6! LOL. Mrs Fields you say...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I never really liked Stanford until last Saturday's SC win and I've been going to games since Elway. They looked like garbage against San Jose, so the SC win was totally unexpected. It helped I was watching in a bar up in Ashland, where there were quite a few Stanford fans cheering on. Was way more exciting of a game than Oregon vs Tennessee Tech. Kind of cool being in no man's land between Eugene and Palo Alto.

mtbr member
    Grown up hatn' the Raiders since they were in my division but now since we are in the NFC West, I say down with the whiners....Hawks are comn'......

aka baycat
    Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    Grown up hatn' the Raiders since they were in my division but now since we are in the NFC West, I say down with the whiners....Hawks are comn'......
    Seahawks? I needed a good laugh today, thank you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan G. View Post
    Seahawks? I needed a good laugh today, thank you!
    As I did for many years you guys sucked big time...

Let's see where were you last year during the SB...oh ya same place I was watching it...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast