mtbr member
    May 2015

Bay Area Lunch Rides (LRs)

Hi there,
    with all those tech workers in the Bay Area, we know that there is days where you work from home. Too many calls with the rest of the world east of us in the morning, or just work to be delivered without any disruption. Side benefit is that it safes the commuting time.

Since my favorite bike manufacturer crew are pretty proud of their "Lunch Ride" tradition and even launch a bike with that name, why not listing some of those LRs right here?
    A LR is a short and crisp ride. Max 1 hr, so that you can shower and eat afterwards without destroying your afternoon agenda. It tends to be more like a workout ride with a bit of trail fun, but it could also be a playful thing with some technical features, but less miles and elevation gain.

Here is my Fremont Older LR:

It starts in the Monta Vista area and approaches Fremont Older ridge via the back side, i.e. up Coyote Ridge Trail from Stevens Canyon park. Reachingn Maisie´s Peak, the top of Fremont Older, after exactly 5 miles (30mins). Then over to Hunters Point, connecting the "Seven Springs Loop" before heading back home via Prospect Rd.
    10.7 miles, 1:00hrs.

Why not show off your lunch rides?

Bernd

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I live and work in Marin and almost all of my mid-week rides are 1-1 1/4 hours.

When I'm working from home I can drive out to China Camp and fly though the main loop in an hour. The other option is to ride the back side of China Camp which doesn't require the drive. I can also head up to the 680 trail and Loma Alta and drop down a single track in that area. I also ride road and I'll loop China Camp or ride up to Big Rock and back.

When I'm in the office in Larkpur I'll ride to Lagunitas Lake or up Eldridge and down some ridge trails. On the road I'll ride Paradise loop, Camino Alta or head back to China Camp.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Check out the great Lunch Loops in Grand Junction, CO. We don't have them in the Bay Area because you will never get enough riders together to organize and replace land managers.
    MTB blog for intermediates: http://intermediatemtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    A Lunch Ride is not necessarily a Group ride. Could be, great to go with colleagues. But the key thing about a LR in my view is that a) it is short and crisp, 60mins flat-out and b) that you can start it from and end it at your home office or parking lot.
    Any more LRs?
    I would throw in the Arastradero Loop, which fits the above mentioned criteria for Arastradero / Pagemill / Foothill / Hillview Ave workers (i.e. HP, Nest, Tesla, VM-Ware, SAP, ...). Maybe some LunchRiders from there find a group via this thread?

Cheers
    B

Dropshot Champ!
    I was suiting up and heading over to the Township 9 bike park and hitting the pump track and dirt jumps on lunch.

I had to be door to door in an hour though, so gave it up as it was such a hassle.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    What i like is the lunchtime ride at Waterdog Lake Park and Carlmont (if you work in that area).

Super tiiiight and not crowded in that area.

fc
    IPA will save America