Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
  1. #1
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    17,976

    bay area gas prices... can i get an amen?

    Holy bonus! 2 months ago, My local gas station had regular unleaded at $3.01. Today it's at $2.11.

    Who would have thunk it. I've never seen a drop this steep before. Let's count our blessings guys. This means more money for bike parts! Or beer.

    check:
    http://www.sanfrangasprices.com/

    I'm waiting on $1.99!

    francois
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sungchang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Holy bonus! 2 months ago, My local gas station had regular unleaded at $3.01. Today it's at $2.11.

    Who would have thunk it. I've never seen a drop this steep before. Let's count our blessings guys. This means more money for bike parts! Or beer.

    check:
    http://www.sanfrangasprices.com/

    I'm waiting on $1.99!

    francois
    Amen to that!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    36
    Don't forget how outraged everyone was when the price hit 2.00 a gallon. The whole spike, I believe was to get people to accept 2.00 gas. How about 1.50, and why do I still pay .50 more for diesel, a byproduct? I am happy the price is falling though!

  4. #4
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,477
    I am glad the price is falling too, but I finally swithced to commuting by bus to work. To dam hard to find parking in San Francisco. Now that I cut back on that time to get some UGI.

  5. #5
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    17,976
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Jakey
    Don't forget how outraged everyone was when the price hit 2.00 a gallon. The whole spike, I believe was to get people to accept 2.00 gas. How about 1.50, and why do I still pay .50 more for diesel, a byproduct? I am happy the price is falling though!
    I do not compute on the $2 outrage!!

    The diesel prices, specially the car grade diesel is insane!! These new diesel cars are soo efficient too. All your fuel economy will be erased by high prices. New diesel cars are illegal to sell in california btw. Bastahds.

  6. #6
    smw
    smw is offline
    pedal pusher
    Reputation: smw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,234
    Hell yeah

  7. #7
    Making it reign since '07
    Reputation: FixThatBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    79
    At least diesel has come down some after the hurricane. Biodiesel went up after the hurricane (ever seen those soybean farms in the gulf?) and hasn't come down since. Holding steady at $3.63!!!

  8. #8
    jra
    Reputation: seasick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by FixThatBike
    At least diesel has come down some after the hurricane. Biodiesel went up after the hurricane (ever seen those soybean farms in the gulf?) and hasn't come down since. Holding steady at $3.63!!!
    Are you driving a biodiesel machine. If so, how do you like it?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,990
    SF J has it right. Even though the price has fallen recently, it still sucks!

    I'm convinced that the gas companies raised the prices into the crazy realm over the last few months simply to get us to accept prices in the low to mid $@ range. Once we had a taste of more than $3 / gallon, we're happy to accept the $2.39 as being good.

    It's a national outrage. The Senate hearing where the heads of the oil companies said that the excess profits were put back into the companies should be taken out and shot. That's their excuse?

    So the bottom line I guess is that it's OK to gouge people as long as you put a lot of the money back into your own business?....... and we just accept it...... We're just sheep being manipulated by the worlds richest people.

  10. #10
    Making it reign since '07
    Reputation: FixThatBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    79
    TDI Jetta running B20 (20% biodiesel, 80% regular diesel). Great car, I'd recommend to anybody. The only difference I've noticed when adding the biod is a little less diesel odor. Mainly doing it for the environmental/political benefits. As the price gap widens it's becoming harder to make the trip to the oasis ( http://www.biofueloasis.com/ ), but I figure every little bit helps.

  11. #11
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    We're just sheep being manipulated by the worlds richest people.
    He doesn't look very rich, and at least we have HUGE nuts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

  12. #12
    Medium?
    Reputation: Fast Eddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,596
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    New diesel cars are illegal to sell in california btw. Bastahds.
    Only until they have 7500 miles on them.


    http://www.craigslist.org/nby/car/115542412.html


    This is overpriced by about $4000, but it's nice. They're hard to find, but not that hard to find.

    I think 30mpg may be enough if it comes with a 200hp 8500rpm Honda motor, a six-speed and limited slip for $20k:


    2006 Civic Si

  13. #13
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    17,976
    Folks from out of state are price-gouging with their VW diesels at Craigslist cause they know it's not available here.

    I was interested until I realized how much Diesel costs here. No way!

    That civic is CarOfTheYear (car and driver I think).

    It IS fugly though. Err, I mean bugly. If they made a hatchback, I'd be real interested. Gotta love that hatchbacks!!!

    francois

  14. #14
    jra
    Reputation: seasick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by FixThatBike
    TDI Jetta running B20 (20% biodiesel, 80% regular diesel). Great car, I'd recommend to anybody. The only difference I've noticed when adding the biod is a little less diesel odor. Mainly doing it for the environmental/political benefits. As the price gap widens it's becoming harder to make the trip to the oasis ( http://www.biofueloasis.com/ ), but I figure every little bit helps.
    Good on you. That shows more commitment than the "Support Our Troops" sticker/ribbons that seem to be on every other car (irony?). My sis is looking into a trailer hauling (F-250/350) diesel for a full biod conversion. I'm researching car-based diesel wagons...if only those turbo Subies weren't so much damn fun!

  15. #15
    Woo Hoo!
    Reputation: bigboulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,762
    So, fill up the tank and head up here and ride with us on Sunday.

    South Yuba Baby!
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

    www.goapc.org

  16. #16
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,019

    What about parts availability?

    [QUOTE=Fast Eddy]Only until they have 7500 miles on them.

    being that rare a breed and all..
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

  17. #17
    Woo Hoo!
    Reputation: bigboulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,762

    Ever wonder why

    Americans pay less than any other country in the world for Gasoline....???

    It's because Americans live in a capitalist country where companies can do pretty much do whatever they want with profits that were earned by selling a legal product and consumers can choose to buy from whomever they please.

    Go to France or some other socialist country where the Government controls the gas prices... and see how much a gallon...er I mean litre of Gasoling costs you.

    Sure I'm not happy about gas prices...and you are 100% correct about oil companies raising the price up to 3 so they can get 2 without much complaint. But even when gas becomes $5 a gallon....other coutries like France and Italy will be paying $15.

    We got it real good here in the USA and it is because of Capitalism and Democracy!
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

    www.goapc.org

  18. #18
    Medium?
    Reputation: Fast Eddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,596
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    What about parts availability?
    being that rare a breed and all..
    They're legal and popular in 45 or so states. The dealer can fix them just fine.

  19. #19
    Beanie aficionado
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by FixThatBike
    At least diesel has come down some after the hurricane. Biodiesel went up after the hurricane (ever seen those soybean farms in the gulf?) and hasn't come down since. Holding steady at $3.63!!!
    And have you noticed that the quality has gone down since? Seems there is more water and particles in the stuff i get in San Jose.

  20. #20
    Medium?
    Reputation: Fast Eddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,596
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    I was interested until I realized how much Diesel costs here. No way!
    My Impala had an unreliable event (didn't start one night to go home), so I've been driving our big diesel crew-cab around. It sucks when $75 is only 3/4 of a tank. It's down to about $2.45/gal

  21. #21
    jra
    Reputation: seasick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    Americans pay less than any other country in the world for Gasoline....???

    It's because Americans live in a capitalist country where companies can do pretty much do whatever they want with profits that were earned by selling a legal product and consumers can choose to buy from whomever they please.

    Go to France or some other socialist country where the Government controls the gas prices... and see how much a gallon...er I mean litre of Gasoling costs you.

    Sure I'm not happy about gas prices...and you are 100% correct about oil companies raising the price up to 3 so they can get 2 without much complaint. But even when gas becomes $5 a gallon....other coutries like France and Italy will be paying $15.

    We got it real good here in the USA and it is because of Capitalism and Democracy!
    Pay less than any other country in the world?

    http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lis...bal_gasprices/

    How about living in a nice Kingdom like Saudi Arabia or Kuwait. Or maybe Nigeria? I wonder how the riding is there?

  22. #22
    WWYD?
    Reputation: johnnyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,564

    Francois, go to Mill Valley!

    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Holy bonus! 2 months ago, My local gas station had regular unleaded at $3.01. Today it's at $2.11.

    Who would have thunk it. I've never seen a drop this steep before. Let's count our blessings guys. This means more money for bike parts! Or beer.

    check:
    http://www.sanfrangasprices.com/

    I'm waiting on $1.99!

    francois
    Just saw it coming into work at the Arco on Hwy 101 in Mill Valley: $1.99 freaking dollars!

  23. #23
    Sweat is just fat crying.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    9,120

    I like...

    ...what Jimmy Mac said in the new MBA, "Why do we complain about paying $3 a gallon for gasoline, but gulp down $29-a-gallon Red Bull?"

    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Information on the trails at New Hogan Lake, Calaveras County, CA.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,990
    We definitely have it better, but not because the oil companies are free to do what they want. The other countries pay more primarily due to taxation, not what oil companies are charging.

    You're right .... we have it good, but that doesn't mean that it's OK for oil companies to gouge us with a product that we are totally dependent on.

  25. #25
    Silence! I kill you!
    Reputation: jorgemonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,820

    I got a good steal on gas

    on wed. It seems the person putting the prices in at the gas pump on the 76 station near my house put in $1.19 instead of $2.19. So it was nice filling up my tank for about $25 Don;'t know whether they fixed it or not yet.
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

    My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •