Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'm in...
    Jan 2011

Bay Area Bikepacking 101

If youíre curious at all about bike camping and live in the Bay Area, come join us. If youíre seasoned bikepacker or enjoy touring with a mountain bike, join us.

Our goal is to get a network of riders out for a quick overnighter outside under the stars.

Donít know where to start?
    Donít wanna go alone?
    Donít know where to go?
    Need gear suggestions?
    Afraid of bears?

If youíre slightly interested and answered yes to any of the questions above, hit us up.

We have a quick overnighter planned for this weekend , February 2 from Portola Valley to Castle Rock State Park, with minimal time on the roads and maximum time on the dirt. Itís a no drop very moderate paced ride. If youíre looking for hammer session, this is not for you.

If you canít make it this month, the next one will be on March 9, and one planned for every month in 2013.

Hit me up with a PM if you have any questions.

I'm looking for Sub 24 ride suggestions throughout the Bay Area too so if you have a good one to share please let us know.

mtbr member
    Awesome..

Thanks for the invite..
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

For your health.
    Great idea!

mtbr member
    This is awesome. Can't make it this weekend but please keep posting updates.

ballbuster
    OOoh! That's on point! I probably can't make any of these for a few months, but I am definitely interested.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    very cool

*subscribed*
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Ariolimax columbianus
    interested, i'm pretty out here in so santa cruz co./no monterey co. though. I've done a lot of solo overnight missions at Henry coe, as well as multi day trips w/a buddy out there. Headlands, Tam, Bolinas Ridge to Pt Reyes is fun. Grew up in the East Bay but never extensively camped around the Diablo area, like the Rivendell guys.

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    Cool, the Marin Headlands and Henry Coe are on my list to explore this year. Was out at Coe last April and saw many possibilities. I'm in Ben Lomond, give me a PM if you're in the area riding. I'm familiar with all the Open Space trails along the Peninsula, but still trying to find my way around Santa Cruz county.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by VO2 Lax View Post
    Cool, the Marin Headlands and Henry Coe are on my list to explore this year. Was out at Coe last April and saw many possibilities.
    I've bikepacked Coe quite a few times, even starting from my house in town and riding all the way around and out through Harvey Bear. It would be really cool to do a 3-day ride via Mississippi late and hit up all the good singletrack. It would be about 100 miles total, or maybe a little less. Other than Bear Fvcking Mountain, it's all very rideable.

Uncle
    +1...
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    I like where this thread is going! I prefer to do more of my backing and camping either on foot or in the jeep... but bikebacking is a lot of fun. Following with interest!

ST HO
    Jul 2010
    Nice! One of the few times I miss living closer to civilization (2 hrs north of SF) to join an adventure.
    I do have a suggestion for a sub-48+ hr one-way, 99% dirt bikepack adventure I've been scoping out that ends where some primo single track begins near Mendocino in Jackson State Forest.
    Looking forward to the ride reports.

PRETENDURO
    Iíd love to go bikepacking around Henry Coe sometime. Iíd like to get just a bit more familiar with the trails out there firstóIíd hate to end up as a headline in the local paper.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

my body breaks the falls
    Sweet! Looking at racks for the fat bike - thought I'd just use them for beer.
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    It was a great weekend to be outside. The weather was on our side and the conditions besides a few muddy sections were prime. We tried to take pictures to share with everyone but our batteries were dead.

For those of you that want to do the route on your own or with your buddies send me a PM and Iíll give you full route details.

We basically parked at the Portola Valley Recreation center > rode through a section of Windy Hill > up old Alpine Road > cross into Montebello > over to the Christmas tree farm > through Long Ridge > and hooked onto Skyline to Castle Rock via the fire road next to the Gun Club. Roughly 40 miles round trip fully loaded.

For those of you that expressed interest via PM or on this thread our next planned trip is on March 16, weather permitting. Weíll keep you posted on the location closer to the date.

If any of you have a route suggestions or would like to guide the next trip, please feel free let us know. I'll be hitting up some of you guys via PM for route details soon.

mtbr member
    Seeing that I've never been... What's the food info on a ride like these?
    collectivly as a group decide when to stop as the day progresses?
    Share a pot-luck dinner.
    Everybody fend for themsleves?

And what is it that you bring for food on these backpacking rides?
    any hot foods? always cold food.

Mostly fartbars ?
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    Since most of these trips are just quick overnighters we just pick campsite and starting point and make our way there.

On a sub 24s, a sandwich or a burrito is perfect for dinner. We found that a burrito on the grill over the fire is amazing!

On multi day trips, I would consider backpacking food if someone in the group has a stove, or plan it around where you can resupply. A bunch of bars is always good to keep around too.

mtbr member
    I like this trip: Sunnyvale to Half Moon Bay State Beach via Stevens Canyon, Skeggs, and Purisima Creek. Set up camp at the hiker/biker site and head into town to eat and drink. And the sound of the surf will lull you to sleep.

Return via Hwy 1 and Big Basin SP if I'm feeling energetic, or else return the way I came.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bay Area Bikepacking 101-half-moon-bay-tour-1.jpg  

Bay Area Bikepacking 101-resize-hiker-biker.jpg  

Tequila is a pallid flame that passes through walls and soars over tile roofs to allay despair. A. Mutis

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Wow Zignzag that is an intense trip. What kind of milage and time does it take to make it out to half moon bay?

YESBRO!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
    Rack is the new Track.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    check out meetup.com you can create a group with specific interests and build an audience specifically interested in bikepacking - updates - upcoming rides and sharing is then easy. No affiliation just think its a neat idea. IM part of many bike related groups and have joined in on some great rides recently. Also have the app on the smart phone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanClyde View Post
    Wow Zignzag that is an intense trip. What kind of milage and time does it take to make it out to half moon bay?
    I usually don't keep track of those things, but I'll guess 35miles and under 5 hours from downtown Sunnyvale with a lunch stop at Skylonda.
    Tequila is a pallid flame that passes through walls and soars over tile roofs to allay despair. A. Mutis

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    Henry Coe - Coit Lake Overnight

It was a beautiful weekend to be outside! Took Nativeson's suggestion to take the Coit Road to Coit Lake. About an 11 mile ride starting from the Hunting Hollow parking lot. With close to 20lbs of gear and a fishing rod extending from my buddy's back pack, the fire road was ideal over any single track routes at Coe. Climbs were gradual, with some steep hike a bike sections. We took our time and got to camp at around 4:30pm.

Name:  IMG_2560.JPG
Views: 452
Size:  223.2 KBName:  IMG_2561.JPG
Views: 446
Size:  135.9 KBName:  IMG_2563.JPG
Views: 428
Size:  150.9 KBName:  IMG_2564.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  204.7 KB

After setting up camp it was time for some fishing. Landed a small mouth bass on my second cast, my buddy followed with a nice size Crappie. Overall we landed 4 small mouth bass and 1 crappie for the evening. Catch and release of course. This was the first time we fished while bike camping and the extra weight of the rods was well worth it. Topped the evening off with a short hike to check out the lake, a delicious pastrami sandwich and we were off to bed.

Name:  IMG_2565.JPG
Views: 425
Size:  124.0 KBName:  IMG_2566.JPG
Views: 427
Size:  189.8 KBName:  IMG_2568.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  147.1 KBName:  IMG_2569.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  190.3 KBName:  IMG_2570.JPG
Views: 426
Size:  161.6 KBName:  IMG_2571.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  216.9 KB

No fires, no stove, no coffee for the morning. After our energy bar, we packed up and started pedaling around 10:30 am. The climb out was slow and steep, steeper than on the way in but once we got to the top, it blast down the fire road which was a longer downhill on the way out than in. In N Out Burgers were on our minds so we we're on a mission to get to the car.

Name:  IMG_2572.JPG
Views: 430
Size:  156.0 KBName:  IMG_2581.JPG
Views: 419
Size:  190.4 KBName:  IMG_2590.JPG
Views: 417
Size:  186.2 KBName:  IMG_2591.JPG
Views: 420
Size:  219.1 KBName:  IMG_2592.JPG
Views: 415
Size:  147.4 KB

Thanks Nativeson for the ride suggestion! Definitely be back. Pics posted under my gallery.

Next month, back to Castle Rock from Santa Clara through 4 Open Space Preserves.

If anybody has future ride suggestions please send me a PM or share it for everyone to enjoy.
    Last edited by VO2 Lax; 03-18-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by VO2 Lax View Post
    If anybody has future ride suggestions please send me a PM or share it for everyone to enjoy.
    must have missed this thread, I'm sorta reposting this from a weekend ride report thread from a few weeks back.

Not Bay area, but kinda close. This was my first time bikepacking and was meant to be more of a trial to see how I would do. Since our only free days were friday/saturday, we had to ride some road to avoid poaching on some of the stuff saturday. The singletrack from Sacramento to Folsom and back is pretty tame, but it made for a fun trip to start and end with.

My first time putting decent hours on the 29er, which really seemed to smooth out the small stuff and just felt like it could keep going. Far different from my 26ht which after a few hours, left me pretty tired.

In the future, I would probably just start from folsom and eliminate all the flat singletrack from sacramento, while adding in more western states / foresthill riding. Any chance you'd want to head up here to ride? Keep bumping this thread and I'll try to make one of the rides!

Bay Area Bikepacking 101-312364_10200272748957648_31327403_n.jpg

Bay Area Bikepacking 101-31929_10200272747957623_1716158081_n.jpg

Bay Area Bikepacking 101-420331_10200264308306637_2035919524_n.jpg

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
    Axiom makes one that works well. Fully adjustable to accommodate for any tire size (they were designed for 29er tires), and for an offset frame/fork all you do is just get some aluminum ferrules to mount them.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast