Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Resident Curmudgeon

Bad news in Longridge

Rider went down, Medical issue, they did not survive

Rest in peace rider
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

Let's ride SuperModerator
    That is really sad.

Lightly salted
    Rest in peace rider.

ask
    user
    Bad news. RIP

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Rip

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Cut View Post
    Rider went down, Medical issue, they did not survive

Rest in peace rider
    RIP

Buzz, was this on the Long Ridge fireroad? It looks like the singletrack for Long Ridge/Peter's Creek was closed.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Resident Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    RIP

Buzz, was this on the Long Ridge fireroad? It looks like the singletrack for Long Ridge/Peter's Creek was closed.
    it was, approximately 1.5 miles in from gate LR01
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

Resident Curmudgeon
    Rider has been identified as 46 yr old Lawrence Pearl of San Jose

NedwannaB
    Rider has been identified

Hopefully next of kin was too.

RIP
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Resident Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post

RIP
    Coroner released id to press after notifying family first

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    How tragic. I take it from the original post that his death was not due to a biking accident, but some other medical condition. At 46 years young that's way too soon. My condolences to his family and friends.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post

RIP
    Coroner released id to press after notifying family first

ask
    user
    Article: Mountain biker who died in Santa Cruz Mountains identified as San Jose man - Santa Cruz Sentinel

Mountain biker who died in Santa Cruz Mountains identified as San Jose man

By CATHY KELLY -- Santa Cruz Sentinel
    Posted: 12/17/2012 08:08:39 AM PST

SANTA CRUZ MOUNTAINS - A mountain biker who died Saturday on a trail near Skyline Boulevard has been identified as 46-year-old Lawrence Pearl of San Jose, the Santa Cruz County Coroner's Office said.

Pearl fell ill during a ride on the Long Ridge Truck Trail and stopped, telling a friend he felt sick, Cal Fire officials said.

When the friend returned after retrieving the car, a bystander was performing CPR, Cal Fire officials said.

Pearl died at the scene.

Coroner's deputy Mike Pruger said an autopsy would be performed early this week to determine the cause of Pearl's death.

PRETENDURO
    Bummer! On the bright side, looks like he died doing what he enjoyed—mountain biking. When I die, I don’t wanna do it sitting in a chair in front of a television, rather, but instead doing something fun. Such as, going backwards 100MPH while on fire drunk on good beer while getting a hummer from a hot chick. Yeah, that’s it.

May his spirit continue on those trails.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

swag ho Administrator
    Good to have info now.

"When the friend returned after retrieving the car...."

What the heck? I don't know much but retrieving the car sounds like a bad decision.

Correct Larry Pearl? http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view...ile_photo_link

fc

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Good to have info now.

What the heck? I don't know much but retrieving the car sounds like a bad decision.

fc
    I would speculate that Larry told his friend wasn't feeling well so his buddy told him to "wait there while he got the car". It's something any of us would've done.

In 2010, I discovered I had HBP. That was only because I went to the doctor after my wife was nagging me to get checked out, saying, "You don't want you to wind up dead on the trail from a stroke or heart attack - you're at that age."

I'm glad I did - my little medication has probably saved my life.

I'm not talking directly about this man, but I'm talking about in general... I know too many guys in their 30's and 40's who, because they workout and eat right, think they have nothing wrong with them and never go to the doctor. I was one of those guys.

It is disturbing to think that, if I didn't go, I could've had a stroke at my age, but very possible. I'm always nagging my buddies (you know who you are TSP) to get checked out, but there's always excuses.

So, friends, please go to your doctor regularly - every year - if you have the insurance. Don't put it off or assume you are in perfect health.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Good to have info now.

fc
    I was riding with a friend a couple years back who died of a massive heart atrtack on the trail. When the reports hit the internet there were many comments about the situation that were critical of our actions. All I can say is when your time is up, it's up and unless you have been there it is impossible to comment on what should have been done. I am certain that the guy that got the car had the best intentions.

RIP rider and I hope his friend understands he did what he could.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I would speculate that Larry told his friend wasn't feeling well so his buddy told him to "wait there while he got the car". It's something any of us would've done.

In 2010, I discovered I had HBP. That was only because I went to the doctor after my wife was nagging me to get checked out, saying, "You don't want you to wind up dead on the trail from a stroke or heart attack - you're at that age."

I'm glad I did - my little medication has probably saved my life.

I'm not talking directly about this man, but I'm talking about in general... I know too many guys in their 30's and 40's who, because they workout and eat right, think they have nothing wrong with them and never go to the doctor. I was one of those guys.

It is disturbing to think that, if I didn't go, I could've had a stroke at my age, but very possible. I'm always nagging my buddies (you know who you are TSP) to get checked out, but there's always excuses.

So, friends, please go to your doctor regularly - every year - if you have the insurance. Don't put it off or assume you are in perfect health.
    How high was your pressure? Mine had been a little high and single speeding fixed that. I went from like 133/85 to 100/62 with just a couple rides a week. Resting pulse went way down too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    How high was your pressure? Mine had been a little high and single speeding fixed that. I went from like 133/85 to 100/62 with just a couple rides a week. Resting pulse went way down too.
    It runs in my family. Even my brother, a Cat2 racer and Class B CX'er podium dude has it. No matter how I eat, lose weight or exercise - it will always be high unless controlled by a medication. I am a vegetarian and ride 3-4 days a week.

It's a thing with some Filipinos.

My point is that I would've never known hadn't I listened to my wife nagging me about it. And, quite possibly, been in a stamp sized newspaper blurb, myself "38 year-old mountain biker found dead in Santa Teresa County Park".

I advocate for guys to get checked out every year - make sure they're okay to push themselves on a ride without risking their life. If they need a medication to control their issue - take it!

A lot of us are fathers, husbands, breadwinners - it's our responsibility to maintain a preventative health program with our doctors.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    It runs in my family. Even my brother, a Cat2 racer and Class B CX'er podium dude has it. No matter how I eat, lose weight or exercise - it will always be high unless controlled by a medication. I am a vegetarian and ride 3-4 days a week.

It's a thing with some Filipinos.

My point is that I would've never known hadn't I listened to my wife nagging me about it. And, quite possibly, been in a stamp sized newspaper blurb, myself "38 year-old mountain biker found dead in Santa Teresa County Park".

I advocate for guys to get checked out every year - make sure they're okay to push themselves on a ride without risking their life. If they need a medication to control their issue - take it!

A lot of us are fathers, husbands, breadwinners - it's our responsibility to maintain a preventative health program with our doctors.
    Good advise. Plus, if I die on a trail, it better be a more exciting one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    RIP Larry. To his friend, you did the right thing. Please dont let this keep you from doing what you love.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    [QUOTE=francois;9980141]Good to have info now.

His freind did the right thing. Even he didn't have a pulse and quit breathing, before starting CPR your sopposed to call for help (per Red Cross guidelines). If someone is having symptom's of heart attach or stroke it's important to get them to the ER asap.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim F. View Post
    His freind did the right thing. Even he didn't have a pulse and quit breathing, before starting CPR your sopposed to call for help (per Red Cross guidelines). If someone is having symptom's of heart attach or stroke it's important to get them to the ER asap.
    We really don't know if his friend did the right thing or not. And I want to learn from this event. But Cornfish is right, it's not our place to discuss and speculate here.

Another cyclist died last week in Santa Cruz. A friend said it was a road biker on a group ride who dropped back because he was having some kind of difficulty...

---
    Santa Cruz Coroner: Cyclist died of natural causes in Rio Del Mar

By Stephen Baxter - Santa Cruz Sentinel
    Posted: 12/12/2012 06:24:10 PM PST

RIO DEL MAR - A Scotts Valley man died of natural causes while riding his bike in Rio Del Mar on Saturday, the Santa Cruz County Coroner's Office reported.
    Richard Lucero, 45, crashed his bike on Bonita Drive about 10:15 a.m. Saturday, according to the California Highway Patrol.

Paramedics administered aid to Lucero at the scene, but he was pronounced dead a short time later, said CHP officer Grant Boles. No other vehicles were involved in the crash.

----

mtbr member
    His friend did not do the wrong thing. Perhaps in hindsight it would have been better to call 911 but in all honesty it probably would not have changed anything (unless EMS could have gotten there quickly which I am assuming was not the case as they were mtn biking). As the most likely cause of his demise was v-fib or some other dysrhythmia nothing other then carrying a defibrillator (or being nearby someone who had one) was going to change this outcome.

This is the risk we all take everyday. And the risk people who live out of town take as well. I dont remember a case of real cardiac arrest that happened outside the city proper that had a good outcome. By the time EMS arrived (usually 10+ min) there was already anoxic brain injury.

Sad story...lot of that going around lately it seems
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

swag ho Administrator
    Doc Okie Dokie,

How do we prevent it? What's the one or two tests that we all need to take to determine if we have hidden problem or not.

Is it the EKG test? Electrocardiography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

fc

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast