Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    swag ho Administrator
    Often, we hear of these tragedies and we discuss but know nothing about the deceased. The next of kin and friends have found us and have shared some info about the life of Larry Pearl.

-----------------------------
    I was a friend of Larry's for 28 years and he brought me into the world of mountain biking back in the mid 80's. We both competed in NORBA races for several years and also the World Championships at Mammoth Mountain in 1988-89. We rode mostly local trails nightly on Page Mill, Stevens Creek, Kennedy, Skyline, Nisene Marks and variations of single tracks coming down from those fore mentioned.
    He was a Specialized man from day one although he recently bought a SCOTT that never made it to the mountain and is still sitting in his garage. Always fanatical about a clean and well tuned bike and the same with his gear. Always a strong climber although a little cautious with his downhills he loved mountain biking!
    He was in good shape and as happy as I had seen him in years...still trying to handle him being gone.

G-
    Greg E. Churchill
    -----------------------------
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bad news in Longridge-lar-moi.jpg  

Bad news in Longridge-larry-ontrail.jpg  

dvo
    mtbr member
    I just found out today that this was someone I knew from my work life, I never knew him beyond the work scene but his loss will be felt. RIP.

mtbr member
    Oh man, so sorry to hear.

I also knew Larry briefly through my work life.

RIP

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Don't forget Mark Ong, who died in his sleep a couple of weeks ago of a massive heart attack. Mark rode almost every day; both road & mtb. He was 55 and not over weight. Mark loved bikes as much as anyone on MTBr. RIP Mark
    just ridin' em now

mtbr member
    Rip

Noob
    Feb 2001
    Sorry for the loss of Lawrence, condolences to his family.

This should be another wake-up call to everyone. Every time I hear about a rider passing, I immediately think the killer is a car or some sort of collision but I seem to miss that fact that a heart attack is one of the big killers.

I have heard of 2 riders who I knew pass from heart attacks and one guy a friend of my brother last year who survived because of some quick-to-react riders; one was a certified EMT. He is a very lucky guy who still rides and has a stint in his main artery. He actually asked me awhile back if I have a bike stand for sale and just getting a message from him felt good.

I am one of those riders right now who think that because I lost weight and I ride daily I am healthy. I am nearing the over the hill age in two months and I have a family to support.

Thank you Dion for the push.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Are there any warning signs? My blood pressure is low, my cholesterol is low and no blood sugar issues ... but I'll be 43 soon ... I also have all my hair. Should I keep acting like I'm 25? Will I be lying on a trail soon?

Wēk Ss
    sorry for your loss.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Sorry for the loss of Lawrence, condolences to his family.

This should be another wake-up call to everyone. Every time I hear about a rider passing, I immediately think the killer is a car or some sort of collision but I seem to miss that fact that a heart attack is one of the big killers.

I have heard of 2 riders who I knew pass from heart attacks and one guy a friend of my brother last year who survived because of some quick-to-react riders; one was a certified EMT. He is a very lucky guy who still rides and has a stint in his main artery. He actually asked me awhile back if I have a bike stand for sale and just getting a message from him felt good.

I am one of those riders right now who think that because I lost weight and I ride daily I am healthy. I am nearing the over the hill age in two months and I have a family to support.

Thank you Dion for the push.
    What, in your mind is "over the hill age"? I'm 63 & I have a friend who's 65 & still rides hard
    just ridin' em now

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Stevens View Post
    What, in your mind is "over the hill age"? I'm 63 & I have a friend who's 65 & still rides hard
    I don't think it's about age. I think it's about getting checked out and going to the doctor. Even on Jazzercise VHS tapes from 1987 say, at the beginning something to the effect:

It is always important to consult your physician before starting an exercise program. This is particularly true if any of the following apply to your current medical condition:

chest pain or pain in the neck and/or arm
    shortness of breath
    a diagnosed heart condition
    joint and/or bone problems
    currently taking cardiac and/or blood pressure medications
    have not previously been physically active
    dizziness
    obesity

If none of these apply to you, start gradually and sensibly. However, if you feel any of the physical symptoms listed above when you start your exercise program, contact your physician right away.

If one or more of the statements listed above applies for you, see your physician before beginning an exercise program. An exercise-stress test may be used to help plan your exercise program.
    We don't have this advice for MTB'ing - I guess it's in tiny print on the owner's manual when we buy a bike, though. Most of us, including myself, just hop on and start pedaling without ever going to the doctor to see if we're actually well enough to exert ourselves.

I think a lot of MEN have egos that keep them from going to get checked out. "Oh, I'll be fine..." or "I'm fit, I ride every day!" or "I'm healthier than any 20 yr. old."

Believe me, I've worked in the life insurance industry for a decade, and I hear all that stuff. Come to find out, these "healthy" people's labs come back with diabetes, high cholesterol, etc. - never knowing they had these issue until they applied for life insurance.

They never went to the doctor.

Go get your check ups, peeps. Takes an hour out of your life. Your families depend on you to take the appropriate actions to stick around for awhile. Personally, my last few doctor visits have changed my life for the positive in more ways than I can count. Had I not gone, I'd still be really having issues. I'm 38, and I know I'm not better than medical science.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Does anyone know the cause of death? Sorry I did not see it if it is above. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've gone through this thread again more carefully. So sorry for your loss newarrior. I was the first person to find your brother and can talk to you about it if you like. Please feel free to contact me at mtbr0001 AT gmail.com. (sorry, neither of us has enough posts to PM here)

mtbr member

Bad news in Longridge

It's crazy, I work in the medical field and we see very healthy people come in after heart attacks, I had a buddy 41yrs old drop dead playing soccer. You can get check ups, exercise eat right but when your numbers up...
    I'm sorry for your your loss
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Bad news in Longridge

It's important to have good genetics on your side. My family eats bacon at every meal and most smoke and or drink and they still make it into the their 80s. Try to have good genes, people.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks man !

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Cause of death was a heart attack from high blood pressure--I have it also.....

mtbr member

Bad news in Longridge

Bad news in Longridge-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365027387.960045.jpg
    RIP Lawrence and my condolences to friends and family. Here's something I do to prepare. Four baby aspirin duct taped to my HB bag. For heart attack or stroke chewing aspirin is good. For aneurism bad idea. I'm 67 and go over the hill daily.

mtbr member

Bad news in Longridge

And "never" go over your "maximum"
    heart rate.
    Bad news in Longridge-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365103463.100639.jpg

mtbr member
    A good friend died of a stroke (at 55) about 2 years ago. We had all been on a bike weekend (with a major climb) only 3 days before. The stroke occurred at his work, but could have been anywhere. He had congenital anomalies in his circulatory system.

My 2 cents, is that we should all get some wilderness first aid training & CPR. I took my wilderness course last year through NOLS/REI. Well worth the effort. I put my skills to work a short time later at the scene of a bike crash in SF. The many bystanders already at the scene waved me on. But I stopped (correctly) guessing that no one had any first aid training. After they all left I realized that the victim most likely had a serious hip injury. She was not aware of this.

I witnessed/assisted in a scuba accident years back. Quick response by a very professional divemaster saved the victim's life (I was certain he was dead when we lifted him on deck). CPR saved the day.

Sometimes you can make a difference sometimes not. Best to have at least some training and be prepared. Nothing worse than standing by helplessly when a friend has been injured.

Check NOLS, REI for classes in your area. Carry first aid gear. Enjoy life to the fullest!
    I like to bike.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3