mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Auburn Trail Suggestion?

I am visiting my dad in Lincoln. With the weather cool for the next couple of days I figure it is the time to hit up Auburn. Last time I was here a local was mentioning that they might start requiring a parking pass in Auburn. Did that ever happen?

I have ridden Forresthill Divide, Connector, Manazanita, Clementine, and Culvert. Thinking of doing one longer 20 or so mile loop. What would be your suggestion?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    From the confluence, Clementine, Connector, FHDL, Connector, Fuel Break, over Forest Hill Bridge, Mossy, Upper Flood, Stagecoach, Manzanita, back up Stagecoach, Lower Flood and Stagecoach back down. There's so many options to link everything together you can't go wrong. And yes, $10 to park now but it's well worth it because there's money for the Rangers to patrol and keep the cranksters away from the cars now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Damn, $10? For one ride? Where are my taxes going? Looks like I'll only be doing that ride once. Thanks for the info on the trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Where are your taxes going? Supporting the illegals and the rest of the indignant people that refuse to support themselves. All hail the Republic of Kalifornia

mtbr member

Auburn Trail Suggestion?

I like Clementine - Connector - FHDL - Connector - Culvert - Confluence - Manzanita - Stagecoach - Manzanita

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    I like Clementine - Connector - FHDL - Connector - Culvert - Confluence - Manzanita - Stagecoach - Manzanita
    About how many miles? Also, where do I pay? My favorite thing about riding Auburn . . . post ride Jimboys.

mtbr member

Auburn Trail Suggestion?

It's about 30 miles with around 3500 ft of climbing. I always park at the confluence. There are pay stations or if you park across the street on the road it's still free, I think.
    I know you can park above Stagecoach and start the same loop there beginning with Manzanita and ending with the Stagecoach climb. Last I heard parking was free up there too.

mtbr member

Park in town

I park at the water wheel which you will see where Elm ave intersects with high street. Free parking there in a lot that gets little use. This is the parking lot for pistol petes, liquor outlet and some other businesses. PM me if you want specific directions from there to the Aeolia trail which will get you over to manzinita trail. Bomb down to the confluence on manzanita and stagecoach then climb up confluence trail (don't waste your time climbing up clementine cuz it sucks and is mostly an asphalt road climb...and don't listen to people that tell you not to climb confluence because it has plenty of open sight lines and there should never be an issue with riders coming down it is a fun techy climb in places and all dirt). Continue past the green gate when you get to mammoth bar and then hop up to old foresthill road...cross the road and take shortcut trail up...cross foresthill road and continue up to the next green gate. cross over to connector. ride connector to FHDL....do the loop and then return via connectorn culvert, confluence, stagecoach, manzanita, Aeolia and back to car. Buy beer at liquor outlet with the $10 you saved. Approx 24 miles.
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

www.goapc.org

mtbr member
    RE: free parking at the confluence.

From Auburn, drive south on hwy 49 to the confluence. Then, instead of driving straight thru the intersection onto old foresthill road and the pay for parking area, turn right, drive over the bridge and park for free on the right side of the road (hwy 49). sweet!

My standard ride:

confluence > culvert > fuel break > connector > FHDL (counter clockwise) > connector > fuel break > culvert > confluence. ~ 25 miles total.

Add Stagecoach > Manzanita and you have 'the trifecta', ~ 30 mi and ~ 4,500' of vert.

note: i always start at the confluence cuz i like to end my ride with a downhill, not a climb. i don't ride clementine cuz you end up climbing a paved road for a good distance. imo, climbing singletrack > climbing pavement.

the new culvert reroute is super duper fun! thank you fatrac!!!
    51% smartass, 49% dumbass

HTFU!
    Love all the rides mentioned above. So many ways to link the trails together.
    One other option is Hidden Falls Regional Park. Free parking, and about 23 miles of new trails as well as some service roads. There are maps and trail markers at pretty much every intersection and it is hard to get lost because there is only one way in and out and all the single track loops cross the main service road (North and South Legacy) which will get you back to the parking area (ending with an easy one mile climb). While there is no long 2-3 mile sustained climbs, nor fun technical areas, there is good elevation in shorter bursts and some pretty fun loops as well as some nice scenery. Worth checking out especially if you have more than one day to ride and don't want another butt-kicker.
    For more info, go to this thread (and skip to the 2nd page for pics, info etc.): Hidden Falls Trails Expansion - May 2013
    Regardless, have fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions. I wore myself out today. I parked cross the bridge on the 49, got the last spot. Rode up the singletrack to Connector > FHD > Connector > Fuel Break > Culvert > Confluence. Pushed most of the way up Fuel Break. My legs were gone. One day of rest after 40 miles on the American River Bike Trail wasn't enough. Nice day for riding. Rare that it isn't 90+.