Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Auburn State Recreational Area - Culvert Phase 2 trail work sign up Feb 8th - 10th

9K views 71 replies 33 participants last post by  peter19ue 
#1 ·
Folks,

We are resuming work on the popular Culvert downhill trail located within the Auburn State Recreational Area.

With Phase 2 approved, we will be realigning some parts of the trail to improve drainage and flow while ensuring this continues to be a thrilling ride.

If you liked and were a part of what we started last year, you'll want to join us to complete the vision we have for creating a world class downhill corridor that offers fun and excitement for all skill levels.

Registration is limited to 12 people per day so sign up now if you're interested.

Details:
When: Feb 8th - 10th
Where: ASRA Culvert (stage at Fuel Break and Culvert)
What: trail work
Time: 8.30 a.m. - 5.00 p.m. (options for 1/2 day)

Doodle: CULVERT ACTION ALERT

Note: While we will provide refreshments, please come prepared to be self sufficient.

Cheers,

Steve

If you have questions, reach out to me at jminn8086@gmail.com

See less See more
#3 ·
saw you guys out there today working in the rain. Great job!

I got trapped between closures today, both culvert and middle trail / stonewall were closed today for work. Guess they're putting up a new fence that requires a dismount so moto's can't sneak into the OHV park without paying via old foresthill rd.

I read something about stage 2 incorporating more berms and fun on fuel break heading from green gate / connector parking, towards culvert. Any truth to that or just rumors?

Would you guys have any work for riders that just wanna give an hour here or there on random rides without signing up, or is it structured differently?

Thank you!

#5 ·
I'd say any help is awesome, an hour may only get your hands dirty though. 20 hours of volunteer work gets you a Parking pass!
saw you guys out there today working in the rain. Great job!

I got trapped between closures today, both culvert and middle trail / stonewall were closed today for work. Guess they're putting up a new fence that requires a dismount so moto's can't sneak into the OHV park without paying via old foresthill rd.

I read something about stage 2 incorporating more berms and fun on fuel break heading from green gate / connector parking, towards culvert. Any truth to that or just rumors?

Would you guys have any work for riders that just wanna give an hour here or there on random rides without signing up, or is it structured differently?

Thank you!

#7 ·
redmr2_ma

Thank you for your interest and willingness to lend a hand. You're welcome to join us during a scheduled event but would ask that any trail work done on the Culvert is part of an organized effort please.

We've worked hard to secure the support of the ASRA and the lead ranger and all trail work needs to be done according to our plans that have been approved and under supervision.

#12 ·
We really workd hard today, I personally recruited a talented group of locals and they kicked ass! Hard workers and a great eye for shape and contour! The trail looks great, a bit dry in some areas and wet in others but overall looking really fun. Ill get a full run in tomorrow when we get done, not just pieces!

#20 ·
Thanks for posting the video -

A BIG shout out to those that came out and helped. It's hard to see from this video, but there are both defined A & B lines and as mentioned, we added features back in on this outing.

Ride it - I think you'll like it. ... and, it's only going to get better!

#18 ·
There a a few more features added in this time around. Which rock garden section? The armored turn is gone but there are 3 killer berms and linkable rollers to jump. The rock garden at the bottom of the armored turn straight away is still there and there are a few more feature options opened up because of a berm we through in. I think you'll like it I'll post some pics tomorrow.

#19 ·
awesome!! it's hard to tell, I can't wait to ride it, it's a fun trail!! and i was worried ..... Thanks to all who helped.....it was insane how many folks were out there on Saturday.........I only saw it as the work started, so :thumbsup:

#25 ·
redmr2_man - Stonewall access

I spoke with the lead ranger about the newly erected fence near the top of Stonewall. In the short term, ASRA is putting more emphasis on controlling illegal entry and use of the park by motos versus MTB flow from Old Foresthill road.

This was done on FDLT as well and eventually the step through gates were removed ... cross your fingers that we'll see the same outcome here.

#28 ·
I don't want anyone to take this personal, but what the hell?? Culvert used to be fast, and maybe an intermediate level trail.....now it's slow and totally a beginner trail......why on earth were all the berms built to slow you down?? I'm sorry......I just can't imagine why someone designed it the way it is now......Hopefully as folks try and renegade build features they won't get leveled.........I'm glad everyone worked hard, and I'll leave it at that.......

#29 ·
I kinda felt the same way today. I asked a half dozen other riders how they felt about the new sections and got the same replies. It's new and different though, so I'm sure it just needs time to set in! Half the berms were almost entirely loam by 4pm, just the nature of auburn dirt I guess. Wish we had it like Bend, with more moisture.

Really like more little poppy up/down stuff, but was bummed the rockgarden switchback was gone. Also wishing for more fun jumps to be built on the side. The new log drop up top was great, be cool to have stuff like that all the way down, Demo-style!

either way, it probably just needs to have more riders on it digthemlows, give it some time.

This post has been deleted
#35 ·
Thinking about hitting these trails th is friday. Never been here. Whats the easiest way to get thre, park and trails to start off. Ill be coming from san jose. Wanted to make it worth the trip. Im very capable on the technical downhill, etc but slow on the uphill. Whatt do you guys suggest?

#36 ·
Wow. I can't believe how much some people seem to hate the changes!
I've been riding Auburn since the late 80's....boy have things changed!!

The Culvert Trail, between FireBreak and the actual Culvert, was a mess really. It was one lined. One rut. We used to joke that when it rained hard you just jumped in the rut and railed it. There was no challenge to it at all. Go fast, mostly straight lined. That's the way it was up to a handful of years ago when people started building lame side junk that didn't flow at all. (Well, not speaking of the ladders that were 'hidden' up there. That section was GREAT! until State Parks killed them.)

I for one am seriously stoked that the FTA guys and whomever else has formed a WORKING RELATIONSHIP with State Parks and reworking the trails for the better.

I don't get how some people are complaining about it being 'slow' now? It's too slow? Learn how to corner you yahoo's. Life is not all about straight line speed. It takes skill to rail corners. And remember these are just set in. Once they have a nice rain, like we're having now, and then a dry spell with a weekend coming up, I bet those berms set up nicely and the speed will increase exponentially, if you have any skill yourself. ;-)

And there's a bunch of love for that lame rock laden right handed turn? There was NO skill required to ride that thing. Really, come on now.

I just understand all the hate? Coming from where this rutted out one line unstable trail was headed, closure, the change is great for the longevity of trails in the canyon. Not to mention the good will that has been formed with State Parks that shows MTB'ers aren't a bunch of one shovel having goon squad dorks out hacking up the earth.

Well, there's my take. Flame away, saying I must be a poor underskilled rider to think the new trail is good in any way. Have fun! I can't wait to ditch work Thursday or Friday and hit the trail again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.