Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Auburn Bike Works

New Realignmet Culvert

Pretty sweet edit!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just rode the new Culvert Trail. All the new features you put in are super fun!
    It would be cool to see more in the future.

Let's Ride!
    I don't want anyone to take this personal, but what the hell?? Culvert used to be fast, and maybe an intermediate level trail.....now it's slow and totally a beginner trail......why on earth were all the berms built to slow you down?? I'm sorry......I just can't imagine why someone designed it the way it is now......Hopefully as folks try and renegade build features they won't get leveled.........I'm glad everyone worked hard, and I'll leave it at that.......
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

Dropshot Champ!
    I kinda felt the same way today. I asked a half dozen other riders how they felt about the new sections and got the same replies. It's new and different though, so I'm sure it just needs time to set in! Half the berms were almost entirely loam by 4pm, just the nature of auburn dirt I guess. Wish we had it like Bend, with more moisture.

Really like more little poppy up/down stuff, but was bummed the rockgarden switchback was gone. Also wishing for more fun jumps to be built on the side. The new log drop up top was great, be cool to have stuff like that all the way down, Demo-style!

either way, it probably just needs to have more riders on it digthemlows, give it some time.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    I kinda felt the same way today. I asked a half dozen other riders how they felt about the new sections and got the same replies. It's new and different though, so I'm sure it just needs time to set in! Half the berms were almost entirely loam by 4pm, just the nature of auburn dirt I guess. Wish we had it like Bend, with more moisture.

Really like more little poppy up/down stuff, but was bummed the rockgarden switchback was gone. Also wishing for more fun jumps to be built on the side. The new log drop up top was great, be cool to have stuff like that all the way down, Demo-style!

either way, it probably just needs to have more riders on it digthemlows, give it some time.
    The rock garden switch back was my favorite part of the trail too. I wonder why it was removed to make the new corners. It seems like it would have been great to have both options there. Overall, I liked the flow of the trail before the recent work. We'll see how wears.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    New trails are sick! Pumped on the new features!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    many people don't like "change", whether it be changes to a trail (e.g., Culvert) or to a website (e.g., mtbr). then they get used to it. just takes time.

I'd rather live with the Culvert changes than have State Parks mow the whole thing down because of "liability".

mtbr member

Some People

Quote Originally Posted by FoothillRider View Post
    Sad to see a lot of the "improvements" done on Culvert. The trail obviously needed some drainage fixes, but the design of the new sections are crap. Taking out the rock sections make the trail no longer worth riding for many of us.

Hoping next time, FATRAC can hire real designers who know what they are doing.
    Hold On, you joined MTBR today just so you could hate on the hard work and passion of others? You ain't nothing but a TROLL...

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleb_H View Post
    New trails are sick! Pumped on the new features!
    +1! Great work on the trail! I and others appreciate the hard work.

For the (non shovel lifting ) critics...

P

mtbr member
    Thinking about hitting these trails th is friday. Never been here. Whats the easiest way to get thre, park and trails to start off. Ill be coming from san jose. Wanted to make it worth the trip. Im very capable on the technical downhill, etc but slow on the uphill. Whatt do you guys suggest?
    2014 Specialized Enduro S-Works
    2012 Specialized SJ FSR Elite
    2012 DB Scapegoat
    2012 Canfield Yelli Screamy 25.8lbs

Proud lame eBiker
    Wow. I can't believe how much some people seem to hate the changes!
    I've been riding Auburn since the late 80's....boy have things changed!!

The Culvert Trail, between FireBreak and the actual Culvert, was a mess really. It was one lined. One rut. We used to joke that when it rained hard you just jumped in the rut and railed it. There was no challenge to it at all. Go fast, mostly straight lined. That's the way it was up to a handful of years ago when people started building lame side junk that didn't flow at all. (Well, not speaking of the ladders that were 'hidden' up there. That section was GREAT! until State Parks killed them.)

I for one am seriously stoked that the FTA guys and whomever else has formed a WORKING RELATIONSHIP with State Parks and reworking the trails for the better.

I don't get how some people are complaining about it being 'slow' now? It's too slow? Learn how to corner you yahoo's. Life is not all about straight line speed. It takes skill to rail corners. And remember these are just set in. Once they have a nice rain, like we're having now, and then a dry spell with a weekend coming up, I bet those berms set up nicely and the speed will increase exponentially, if you have any skill yourself. ;-)

And there's a bunch of love for that lame rock laden right handed turn? There was NO skill required to ride that thing. Really, come on now.

I just understand all the hate? Coming from where this rutted out one line unstable trail was headed, closure, the change is great for the longevity of trails in the canyon. Not to mention the good will that has been formed with State Parks that shows MTB'ers aren't a bunch of one shovel having goon squad dorks out hacking up the earth.

Well, there's my take. Flame away, saying I must be a poor underskilled rider to think the new trail is good in any way. Have fun! I can't wait to ditch work Thursday or Friday and hit the trail again.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Let's Ride!
    It's not "flaming" or "Trolling" to come here and say it's not as fun as it used to be. We asked lots of riders about it last weekend and very few liked the changes. The berms may get better, but they are ill placed and only serve to slow you down. There are "second lines" put in around area's that don't need a second line. It might be fun on a bmx bike or a rigid bike I guess. The problem is, Culvert was always a fun trail built to challenge, if you wanted a more beginner ride there were/are many other trails around, so why "level" culvert into a boring ride and tell anyone that complains we're "haters"?? It really is sad to lose a good trail....................

off to ride the ruts of Eastside, then have a blast on Stonewall..............keep us posted if any new designs/trailwork come up and I'd be glad to help bring the trail back with some digging!
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

mtbr member
    Loved the original trail and didn't see the need to fixes the technical stuff while some was above my abilities was looking forward to mastering it, but as many things change is inevitable. While the trail is still fun not sure why it has to be the width of a road what happened to the single track? No disrespect to all the man hours spent out there, thanks for your hard work!
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

Zach Attack
    I had a chance to ride some of the new turns. Even with compaction, stuff is still slow compared to what it will firm up to this summer. Each turn is slightly different which is nice as each one requires a distinct tactic. I am sure things will continue to be refined. I was stoked to see all the people who came out to contribute. An awesome community of people in Auburn.

The primary line stuff everyone is working on is just the beginning. Lots of cool ideas for many more B route challenge features that are going to be included. This will be the spices for the potato dish A line. Zing! Mike from ABW and flat shoveled jumper heads will build some killer jumps etc... as optional lines. Cool that you guys have supportive shops in the area.

Guidelines for what is acceptable and a way for people to engage legally will reduce tear outs. A win win as there are way more users than workers and no effort should be wasted.

Tons of Private Land for out of the box eroded crazy kill you trails. Don't be an idiot and build on Public Land, just pisses law enforcement off and reduces opportunity for everyone else. State parks is most restrictive agency regarding bike access and resource protection. Proactive State Park staff are rare. You guys are stoked having this ranger donating his free time to preserve this asset. The design is a compromise for sure but the trail still rips!

The opportunity here is developing a representative group that has the skill sets and professional look to work with local land managers. Some projects will involve compromises to design and some wont. You want more trails, stop waiting and get involved. Culvert is one mile. FTA has built 50 miles of new trail in Nevada County with no funding and we are getting better at it every project. Sweet! Why is it the only people who know what is best are complaining rather than doing?

Only a couple more sessions left to complete the prime line before focusing on the features. Next session will be in March. If you can't come out and help...shower volunteers with praise and beer.

Cheers

z
    Last edited by zachi; 02-19-2013 at 11:14 AM. Reason: spelling
    Learn to love it[SIZE="4"][/SIZE]
    www.foresttrailsalliance.org

It's Quick
    I to have gotten 2 days on the new improvements and have to give immense praise to all the people who put in the time to get this done! Outstanding work!!! You guys made something clean, fun, enjoyable and a place to progress. In fact, I feel completely guilty that I have not been able to make it out to a trail build day. Seeing what you have done has definitely inspired me to make it a priority for March.

I agree that before you just stuck your bike in a hole and hoped for the best, now you can dial in your turns and transitions. Friday was great, Sunday saw quite a huge amount of traffic due to the holiday weekend which is why those corners got loose. Can't wait to see how it beds in like the first few turns you guys put it in last year.

For those complaining, you really need to step back and realize what kind of positive reaction will come from this work and what would happen from not doing it to trails like Tinkers which is now closed to bikes.
    2008 SC Chamelon
    2007 SC Nomad 1-1/8
    2007 SC V-10

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixquiac View Post
    Friday was great, Sunday saw quite a huge amount of traffic due to the holiday weekend which is why those corners got loose. Can't wait to see how it beds in like the first few turns you guys put it in last year.
    I feel the same. I rode the new work tuesday, 2 days after it was completed. I thought the new berms although not very tall were fast and firm. They are probably soft now from riders braking in the berm. I'm not sure where the rockgarden was that some are complaining about being removed, I can't remember there being a rockgarden?
    Sure alot of rocks were removed and the trail widend in spots. A beginner can easliy roll the small tabletops and berms, but a more advanced rider can also catch some pretty good air and get a good flow going. Seems like a good trail for beginners to build skill and confidence. I like the work overall, but I only ride it 4-5 times a year so I didn't have the old culvert memorized. Locals who had the old culvert memorized, may feel diffrent.
    Hopefully the trail firms up and maybe a couple more fun options can be added in?

weekend worrier
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    I for one am seriously stoked that the FTA guys and whomever else has formed a WORKING RELATIONSHIP with State Parks and reworking the trails for the better.
    Agreed. The importance of this aspect cannot be over emphasized, IMO.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The trail is getting sicker with each phase. I'm loving the new jump elements. Looking forward to phase 3, hopefully some drops can be added with A lines around them.

mtbr member

no-moto gates

Quote Originally Posted by sminniear View Post
    I spoke with the lead ranger about the newly erected fence near the top of Stonewall. In the short term, ASRA is putting more emphasis on controlling illegal entry and use of the park by motos versus MTB flow from Old Foresthill road.

This was done on FDLT as well and eventually the step through gates were removed ... cross your fingers that we'll see the same outcome here.
    Newly moved to Norcal (to Foresthill) so new to this forum. I wanted to share two photos i was sent by a trailbuilder friend in Colorado on a anti-moto gate put on in Mancos State Park for the same purpose that ASRA needs. It still allows you to ride over but supposedly no motos can make it and prevents livestock from exiting (not sure if that's a requirement in this situation). I can get more info for anyone in contact with ASRA staff, or if you're just interested in price, etc.
    Auburn State Recreational Area - Culvert Phase 2 trail work sign up Feb 8th - 10th-antimoto-gate.jpg
    Auburn State Recreational Area - Culvert Phase 2 trail work sign up Feb 8th - 10th-img_8650.jpg

mtbr member

Mixed Opinion

I have done quite a few runs on Culvert trail in the past few weeks and here are my thoughts.

1. if I think of the Culvert trail as a totally new trail in Auburn which...essentially it is now. I give it a high fun rating. I enjoy riding it fast and hitting the features. It almost seems shorter...because I am riding it much faster now.

2. The old culvert trail (like 10-15 years ago) was super fun in a different way. Rocky and rutted in a few places with some nice rock gardens. Very much an old school trail with not a lot of thaught about things like "flow", drainage and overall sustainability. But it was hecka fun and not a big attraction to the shuttle riders.

3. in the last 10 years the proliferation of DIY projects on the culvert trail left it an unsustainable mess and a battle ground between old school mountain bikers, new school down hill shuttle riders and the ASRA. Things were beginning to look bleak. I and many others began to assume that ASRA would just scrap the trail. A few years back after a fire...buldozers began to use sections of the trail as fire break and to open up a firebreak along Foresthill road. the DIY projects continued.... Goodbye Culvert Trail.

4. what they built.....The design of this trail is certainly not what I would of liked to see in an ideal world. It is not very "Auburn" at all and has no resemblance to any other trail in Auburn.

5. In the end it seems like a win for the MTB community because we did not lose a trail and it seems like everybody got a little bit of what they are looking for in the existing design. I am just hoping this does not become some sort of design standard for trails in the ASRA.
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

www.goapc.org

Auburn Bike Works
    First I'd like to say that the culvert project has been open to anyone that wanted to help. There is a plan in action and we are going to follow it, there is still a few more phases to go through before it is complete. Thanks again to all that helped!

Secondly the Culvert trail means a lot to me personally, you can ask anyone on the project that from the FTA crew to the Ranger managing the project. I am personally ensuring that we keep every natural feature the trail offers as well as others that have deep feelings for Culvert trail features, i.e. the rock into the tunnel, the rocks that are below the the armored turn and the rock drop etc.
    We are dedicated to this project meeting the high standards of the users, be patient it will get even better!!

eBiker
    This is for everyone that worked so hard on making this happen and moving the earth with their own time and dedication.

P

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Culvert changes

Quote Originally Posted by digthemlows View Post
    It's not "flaming" or "Trolling" to come here and say it's not as fun as it used to be. We asked lots of riders about it last weekend and very few liked the changes. The berms may get better, but they are ill placed and only serve to slow you down. There are "second lines" put in around area's that don't need a second line. It might be fun on a bmx bike or a rigid bike I guess. The problem is, Culvert was always a fun trail built to challenge, if you wanted a more beginner ride there were/are many other trails around, so why "level" culvert into a boring ride and tell anyone that complains we're "haters"?? It really is sad to lose a good trail....................

off to ride the ruts of Eastside, then have a blast on Stonewall..............keep us posted if any new designs/trailwork come up and I'd be glad to help bring the trail back with some digging!
    I have to admit, as much as I love ABW, and understand lots of people put out tremendous amounts of work to "fix" this wonderful trail, I am in agreement with the post quoted here and the group that is bummed out that we lost a fun and historical trail.

I've also been riding this trail since around 1987. I grew up in Auburn and love the "problem solving" of real trails. For many years, my comment has been, ride the trails as they are. If there is a problem, solve it, but try to keep the character the same. I drive down from Tahoe to ride the canyon, and the culvert has been a favorite draw.

My question is, what problem did this solve? I understood the section last year, it tried to deal w/ the washed out area, and after a few tries, seemed to work. but the new upper section off the fuel break. there wasn't any issue there. all these across the fall line turns on a "bike path", those don't solve any existing problem. They take a natural trail the has been sustainable for 20 plus years, and totally reroute it to make it smoother, easier and not interesting at all. isn't a buzzword in our love of MTB, SINGLETRACK. they plowed under great singletrack and put in wide, level, wandering bike path. flow??? riders create flow with skill, not trail designers w/ huge equipment. I'm very disappointed. The main positive I see here is that I can take my 10 and 12 year old daughters on this "bike path".
    Sorry, and I'm far from a hater, just a mountain biker who doesn't understand why people always want to change things into their version of what is right. This should have been a new trail created on different land. I was published in a mtb rag about 10 years ago, in regards to this same trail. the point, "people should ride the trails as they are." at that time, it was people building funky offshoots and jumps, and smoothing out rocky sections. Now, it's plowing the whole thing down so a cyclocross bike can ride it easily. bummer. to put out another example on this trail of one riders route being ruined for anothers line. I love to climb this trail, and have ridden it as an out and back forever, I don't like road riding, so I try to skip the clem climb and climb "singletrack". there is a large rock on the R side descending that I used to climb over, and pick down the other side. recently, someone built a mini kicker there, broke down the step up gap on to that rock, and tossed all the rocks into the rock line I have ridden for years. Ride the trail as it is I say. If you want big jumps, go to trails that have them. If you want easy wide meandering trails, go to where they are. sad.

I guess I'll go to reno more often now, they are creating quite a network of new SINGLETRACK, where they not only keep in less then 12inch wide and leave in rocks, but they actually try to add turns to go over more rocks. yes, rocks are a good thing. Even the ride I used to call "the wife ride", foresthill devide, is more of a real mtb ride now then culvert.

sorry, mike. I know you worked hard under very tough parameters, but I can't bite my tongue and pretend this is a good thing for an old mountain biker.

Please tell the designers to stop taking out rocks and going around sections that have no sustainability issue to "find flow". let them know that mountain bikers like rocks and we can create flow, thanks.

cheers,
    Holiday (wade)
    Last edited by holiday; 02-21-2013 at 10:08 AM. Reason: name

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by holiday View Post
    ...ride the trails as they are. If there is a problem, solve it, but try to keep the character the same.
    I agree.

I'm just a mountain biker who doesn't understand why people always want to change things into their version of what is right.
    Your version? ASRA's version? Your child's version? Mountain Dew's version? An attorney's version? Too many opinions to satisfy everyone... sadly, fear of the attorney's version usually wins.

This should have been a new trail created on different land.
    Bingo! There's enough land out there to keep Culvert real AND build a blow ... oops, "flow" trail.

I wonder how much influence ASRA had in the "remodeling"? You would think there was a planning process and an approved plan prior to work being done? Sometimes trail builders are at the mercy of an out of touch govt. employee, biologist, arborist or geologist, and do the best they can under the parameters of the project.

mtbr member
    I have to admit, as much as I love ABW, and understand lots of people put out tremendous amounts of work to "fix" this wonderful trail, I am in agreement with the post quoted here and the group that is bummed out that we lost a fun and historical trail.

I've also been riding this trail since around 1987. I grew up in Auburn and love the "problem solving" of real trails. For many years, my comment has been, ride the trails as they are. If there is a problem, solve it, but try to keep the character the same. I drive down from Tahoe to ride the canyon, and the culvert has been a favorite draw.

My question is, what problem did this solve? I understood the section last year, it tried to deal w/ the washed out area, and after a few tries, seemed to work. but the new upper section off the fuel break. there wasn't any issue there. all these across the fall line turns on a "bike path", those don't solve any existing problem. They take a natural trail the has been sustainable for 20 plus years, and totally reroute it to make it smoother, easier and not interesting at all. isn't a buzzword in our love of MTB, SINGLETRACK. they plowed under great singletrack and put in wide, level, wandering bike path. flow??? riders create flow with skill, not trail designers w/ huge equipment. I'm very disappointed. The main positive I see here is that I can take my 10 and 12 year old daughters on this "bike path".
    Sorry, and I'm far from a hater, just a mountain biker who doesn't understand why people always want to change things into their version of what is right. This should have been a new trail created on different land. I was published in a mtb rag about 10 years ago, in regards to this same trail. the point, "people should ride the trails as they are." at that time, it was people building funky offshoots and jumps, and smoothing out rocky sections. Now, it's plowing the whole thing down so a cyclocross bike can ride it easily. bummer. to put out another example on this trail of one riders route being ruined for anothers line. I love to climb this trail, and have ridden it as an out and back forever, I don't like road riding, so I try to skip the clem climb and climb "singletrack". there is a large rock on the R side descending that I used to climb over, and pick down the other side. recently, someone built a mini kicker there, broke down the step up gap on to that rock, and tossed all the rocks into the rock line I have ridden for years. Ride the trail as it is I say. If you want big jumps, go to trails that have them. If you want easy wide meandering trails, go to where they are. sad.

I guess I'll go to reno more often now, they are creating quite a network of new SINGLETRACK, where they not only keep in less then 12inch wide and leave in rocks, but they actually try to add turns to go over more rocks. yes, rocks are a good thing. Even the ride I used to call "the wife ride", foresthill devide, is more of a real mtb ride now then culvert.

sorry, mike. I know you worked hard under very tough parameters, but I can't bite my tongue and pretend this is a good thing for an old mountain biker.

Please tell the designers to stop taking out rocks and going around sections that have no sustainability issue to "find flow". let them know that mountain bikers like rocks and we can create flow, thanks.

cheers,
    Holiday (wade)

What Holiday said^^^^^^

The Culvert is a bit of an institution in ASRA trail system. Count me as another curmudgeon that doesn't like the changes. As one who's ridden this trial for over 20 years, I'm also part of the small percentage of riders that frequently ride up the Culvert trail. This was never a problem until so called "features" started being added a few years back. Now with such radical new design (read:high speed) features, much of the "riding up" challenge is gone and almost renders this trail as downhill only.

I realize the trail has/had needs (both environmental and political). My thoughts were of pulaski, shovel and reasoned discussion, not excavator and/or backhoe.

And to those who like to throw around the "hater" labels and cartoons, how 'bout showing some tolerance for a different point of view.
    Last edited by mtbnutty; 02-21-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast