mtbr member

Auburn/Shingle Springs March 30 - April 4

Going to be staying with my Aunt in Shingle Springs from March 30 through to the 4th and will be bringing my Pivot 5.7. Looking to do some riding while I am there and Auburn looks like the place to go. Anyone looking to ride on any of those days or have some good loop ideas? Thinking 15-30 miles. I'm a solid technical rider (trials), but the Flag winter has made my a pedaling a little slower these days, ha.

Thanks!

Geoff

mtbr member
    Sly Park is a little closer and I really like it. Here is my favorite way to ride it:

Dropshot Champ!
    definitely poke around sly park...and definitely don't be afraid to explore.

But auburn has more mileage and more elevation change and some pretty solid trails.

Solution? do both, twice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    definitely poke around sly park...and definitely don't be afraid to explore.

But auburn has more mileage and more elevation change and some pretty solid trails.

Solution? do both, twice
    Definitely agree with redmr2_man. I wouldn't skip Auburn, do both.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys! I'll try and do both, and I have no problem exploring and getting lost.

weekend worrier
    A good long ride for Auburn is to park at the Russell Road trailhead (thereby avoiding the $10 daily fee at the Confluence), ride down Manzanita and Stagecoach, up Clementine, Connector Trail, Foresthill Divide Loop, Connector back, Fuel Break, Culvert, Confluence, up Stagecoach. That should be around 29 miles with 4,000 feet of vertical. Post ride beer will be well earned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sactojesse View Post
    A good long ride for Auburn is to park at the Russell Road trailhead (thereby avoiding the $10 daily fee at the Confluence), ride down Manzanita and Stagecoach, up Clementine, Connector Trail, Foresthill Divide Loop, Connector back, Fuel Break, Culvert, Confluence, up Stagecoach. That should be around 29 miles with 4,000 feet of vertical. Post ride beer will be well earned.
    Manzanita is FUN
    :wq

Type A
    Chainslap, I would gladly show you around. I live a couple of miles from your aunt. I also dig trials riding, so I know what you like. I'm a working stiff, so the Saturday and Sunday at the beginning of your trip works best for me. Send me a pm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhillthruthewoods View Post
    Chainslap, I would gladly show you around. I live a couple of miles from your aunt. I also dig trials riding, so I know what you like. I'm a working stiff, so the Saturday and Sunday at the beginning of your trip works best for me. Send me a pm.
    Pm sent.

Quote Originally Posted by sactojesse View Post
    Sounds like a sweet ride! Is there a good map source in Auburn or good local shop I can support? I can also figure it out looking at the online maps but I'm still old school and like my paper maps, even though I do GIS for a living, ha.

weekend worrier
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chainslap- View Post
    Sounds like a sweet ride! Is there a good map source in Auburn or good local shop I can support? I can also figure it out looking at the online maps but I'm still old school and like my paper maps, even though I do GIS for a living, ha.
    There is a trail map to the Auburn State Recreation Area (ASRA) that Auburn Bike Works, Bicycle Emporium, or Victory Velo in Auburn should have. Also, State Parks has some trail descriptions and maps on its ASRA website:

Auburn SRA Trails

Keep in mind that there's a $10 day fee to park anywhere in the ASRA. If you have the State Parks annual pass, i.e., the "Golden Poppy Pass", you're good. Otherwise, you can park at the Stagecoach trailhead off of Russell Road in Auburn for free, but get there early because it fills up quickly.

Also, an MTBR user ogrehut has a very helpful page that details the Auburn trails:

Mountain Biking: Auburn Everything Ride - Ogrehut.com

The descriptions are generally accurate with the notable exception of calling the American River canyon "Auburn Ravine." Auburn Ravine is actually a creek that is located on the other side of I-80 from the American River canyon and it flows westerly and eventually discharges into the Sacramento River near Verona. Totally different watershed in fact. However, it's easy to understand how people get confused because Auburn Ravine Road (west) and Foresthill Road (east) share the same exit on I-80. Sorry about the caveat. I'm a former Auburn resident and it hurts my sphincter when someone calls the canyon "Auburn Ravine."

mtbr member

Auburn/Shingle Springs March 30 - April 4

I have not seen any recommendations for Cronin Ranch. Not techy at all, but it is a fun area and is right by Shingle Springs. Use the South Fork American River Trail to connect it to Salmon Falls for all day fun.
    Once you get to Salmon Falls, figure out how to join the Mickey Mouse Club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Heading out tomorrow, if anyone wants to ride during the week next week shoot me a PM!

HTFU!
    So far I am not working Tues or Wed. of next week. If you are lookin' for an Auburn tour guide for the typical Auburn everything (aka Trifecta or whole enchilada...(correct me if I am wrong) butt kicker ride (mentioned by sactojesse) I would be available from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.) unless I get called in, of course. :/

HTFU!
    Goeff, nice meeting and riding with you. For not knowing the trails (and for riding numerous days in a row) you really tore it up out there; it was cool watching you hit every obstacle, especially going down culvert (boy has skilz). Even though you are not the biggest Strava fan, below is our ride, 'stravafied'. For a short while I was KOM coming up 49...(always forgetting to turn it off) but that is now fixed, so all those roadies who had already protested it can take a sigh of relief. Bummed I flatted, but at least it was on Confluence toward the end of the ride. Funny that I had told you mid ride that I needed a new rear tire (doh!). Oh, and thanks again for lunch. Wasn't necessary but much appreciated.
    Hope you get to do a bit more exploring and eventually find a gig out this way. Lot's of good riding and lot's of good people to ride with.
    Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Thanks again for showing me around James! Had a great time, even if my my legs were telling me "no mas"...Auburn is an awesome area and it is now on my short list of places I would like to live. Just got to figure out how to play all the time while retaining some residual income! And living in AZ, I kinda forgot what rivers, lakes, and green vegetation looked like, ha!

The other rides I did:
    Friday I did a late afternoon at Rock Creek, outside of Mammoth with a friend who lives up there. Camped out that night and rode the other two sections of Rock Creek in the AM before driving out to Shingle Springs. Also rode the 8's trails and around Jenkinson Lake, and a bit of trail outside of Coloma. Once I get back to Flagstaff, I'll post up some pics and do a better ride report!

Geoff