Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    swag ho Administrator

Assignment: Poison Oak - Photos and Remedies.

I just wanted to pay tribute to the Oak of 2011. It is epic.

Where is it and how do you deal with it?

Post up some photos.

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Assignment: Poison Oak - Photos and Remedies.-img_7154.jpg  

Assignment: Poison Oak - Photos and Remedies.-img_7155.jpg  

Assignment: Poison Oak - Photos and Remedies.-img_7156.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It's everywhere interesting, or on the way there.

To deal with it, I either kill it(if it's on my property and in an inconvenient location), go around it if it won't damage anything, or just go through it. I don't purposely roll around in it - I leave that for people who get it easily. Why waste all that good oil on me?

Saw a confused plant in a sunny location the other day - some of the leaves had a redish tinge to them.

mtbr member
    Here's my gallery of PO photos: http://www.hanskellner.com/photos/20...Oak/index.html

And my left arm has three nice patches from an adventurous evening single-track ride in Marin.
    My Cycling Videos: Vimeo | YouTube | My Website

mtbr member
    I got some on my arms a few weeks ago and the stuff left scars it was so nasty. The stuff is everywhere! Gotta use those mtb ninja skills on these narrow trails full of PO. Definitely ultra paranoid right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    I got some on my arms a few weeks ago and the stuff left scars it was so nasty. The stuff is everywhere! Gotta use those mtb ninja skills on these narrow trails full of PO. Definitely ultra paranoid right now.
    Excellent karma.

It's kinda early in the year for the annual PO thread!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Where is it and how do you deal with it?

I avoid anything green and I still end up w/ poison oak just about every other ride. I do wash w/ gallons of Technu, burn my clothes, and ride a different bike from my 100+ fleet

mtbr dismember

Extremely allergic

I'm extremely allergic so I had to be really careful getting this closeup of the flowers.

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    A squirt bottle of the P.O. formula roundup fits nicely in a camelback Mule. Buy the concentrate and mix it strong.

mtbr member
    May 2009

hedge trim

took a hike along a popular local singletrack (popular among local riders and poison oak) with gloves that went up to my elbows and hedge trimmers. Spent about two hours walking the trail and cutting back the P.O. - it was less than fun and even with the care I took, I still ended up with a light rash. Worth it - although the encroachment has begun again.

Dang P.O.!

mtbr member
    Definitely a bumper crop this year! Maybe we can export it for some $$$? There has to be a practical use for the stuff. I know horses eat it.

Ninja skills indeed.
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by amishscum View Post
    Definitely a bumper crop this year! Maybe we can export it for some $$$? There has to be a practical use for the stuff. I know horses eat it.

Ninja skills indeed.
    Job Description: Poison Oak harvester. Applicant must be willing to cut down acres of poison oak. Burning excess growth and juicing the pulp may be required as well.

fc

mtbr member
    Burning would not be good. Heard of someone as allergic as I am who was unknowingly standing in the smoke of a campfire that contained some poison oak. He almost died...

mtbr member
    Wilder Ranch. Got this while racing Xterra Wilder Ranch a few weeks ago. I knew I rolled through it and washed with Technu afterwards, but missed this part of my arm, which then transferred to my torso.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, holy crap, what a ride!!" - author unknown

MTB skillz = NADA
    Quote Originally Posted by cvillatri View Post
    Wilder Ranch. Got this while racing Xterra Wilder Ranch a few weeks ago. I knew I rolled through it and washed with Technu afterwards, but missed this part of my arm, which then transferred to my torso.

Wow...I've had PO a couple of times now, most recently whiped out in Ft. Ord and landed in it, but that is just nasty. I'd think about just removing the arm. It would probably feel better.
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Big ol' thread on it in General.

But I'll reiterate. ZANFEL.

And now, heeeeeeere's Johnny Freeride for ZANFEL!!!
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Job Description: Poison Oak harvester. Applicant must be willing to cut down acres of poison oak. Burning excess growth and juicing the pulp may be required as well.
    I'm more of a managerial type.

Oh my, those arm pics are NASTY! Never had it that bad, can't even imagine how uncomfortable that must be.
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

NorCal state of mind
    I have had a doctor (who rides) and a friend who is a PG&E lineman both recommend cheap beer as a preventative topical treatment, applied after first contact with PO.

It has worked for me but I have to explain to my beer connoisseur friends what that six pack of Natty Ice is doing in my fridge.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I used to get it every spring, but I've found a trick that keeps me from getting any real breakouts.

I use a thick lotion on any exposed skin (not my face) prior to the ride. This really works for me, even when I know I hit a leaf or a stem of Poison Oak, I don't get any real breakouts. It seem to keep the oils from the plant from penetrating you skin and simply washes off after the ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    This is the one I usually use.

jct
    mtbr member
    i started keeping alcohol wipes in my car for a nice wipe down afterwards.

if i start from my house, it's tecnu bath outside before i do anything.

i did manage to get it on my scalp a few weeks ago somehow.

~Disc~Golf~
    Honestly... ahh I give up

swag ho Administrator
    Great advice so far. Heavy cream and beer!

The best protection really is skin coverage which means jackets and leg warmers. But as the temperature rises and we all ride with shorts and jerseys only, all hell breaks loose. This is really prime time for oak as we're getting our first hot rides!

fc

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    no matter what time of the year it is, I just ride in long sleeves all the time. When PO gets really nasty, I spray my legs with powdered deodorant (like Arrid Extra Dry) - the oil will stick to the powder instead of your legs and it makes it easier to wash later.

mtbr member
    Here's some

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    laundry detergent powder form is the cheap way to get the oil of your skin. A good strong scrub on any exposed area will do as well as Technu or Zanfel. It's a trick used by people doing orienteering races, and they come across a lot of poison oak.

The poisonous oil contaminates everything it comes in contact with, if you collect some oil on your clothing and letter touch it your skin will be contaminated to. Touch contaminated fabric then touch you face and you'll get a rash on your face. So get read of all your clothe that might have touch poison oak before you wash your skin. I've see people contaminating their car seats, their sofa and their bed by not changing right after being exposed.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast