Thread: Ashland, OR

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Ashland, OR

Happy March! Really no reason for posting this other than sharing the update from your friends to the north in the Rogue Valley.

Mt Ashland has seen some epic snow this season, so expect a really late start to the season up in the Alpine trails, probably mid June. Base at mid mountain is in the teens (feet), which is a sh*tload of snow for the little hill that could.

What that means for mountain biking in the area is generally, a delayed start, which is probably mid June for access to the alpine areas. However, this season is a little different.

It kind of works out that we have a ton of snow this year, but also that the main trails we generally shuttle are CLOSED until June 30th, 2017, which sort of coincide. Bull Gap, Time Warp, Upper and Lower Links and Catwalk will all be closed to public access until 6/30/17. The locals, including myself aren't stoked, but I'd rather the forest be healthy, the trails stay in great shape for late season, etc.. etc..

Link regarding the closures and work- City of Ashland, Oregon - Ashland Forest Resiliency Project Homepage

Moving on-
    There are still a TON of trails that are open in the Ashland Watershed. And as a matter of fact, there is a brand new trail being cut as I type this. Jabberwokky. Many of you guys and gals have probably ridden the old route, which is a fairly technical DH trail that was bench cut back in the day. Well, as things go, the master trails plan says sustainable is key, so the powers that be, are building one of those fancy new flow trails to replace the old one (the old one is still well in tact though).
    I hate to throw the word "flow" out there, but a machine cut, large berm, groomed jumps at 40" wide, kind of is. Compared to Demo Flow, kind of not. Anyway, this trail, Jabberwokky was recently featured on Pinkbike https://www.pinkbike.com/news/for-th...the-trail.html as a part of the CES (California Enduro Series) and with partners, Santa Cruz Factory Racing and all around badasses Bill and Sue of Ashland Mountain Adventures and will be open as fast as the few volunteers can get her done. If you would like to donate to the cause and help out the new trail build, I'm sue they would really appreciate it. Trails obviously don't get built for free.

Link to GoFundMe: GoFundMe ? Jabberwocky Reroute : RVMBA

Continuing on with the update.. Though most would consider Ashland the crown jewel of Southern Oregon, if not the state itself, there are a whole lot of trail projects happening in the Rogue Valley. The great news is each are beneficial and directed towards the sport of mountain biking. It seems that just about every town in the Rogue Valley has their own trail to ride.

I'm personally looking forward to seeing a few concerts at the Britt Gardens Home. Actually really looking forward to the last week of June when the first concert of the season, Rebelution shows up to play. What's great about this venue is it borders Britt Woods, which is one of 4 forest parks, all which provide mountain bike trails. One could, though it's not encouraged, ride directly up to the fence and actually watch the show! It'll be nice to cap off the weekend by hopping a MTB Shuttle with www.unrealcycles.com to Cook and Green (check your trailforks app) for that one, then cap it all off with a full weekend of riding Mt Ashland!

Hope you guys didn't see this as a shameless plug or a touristy kind of lure to the local area. Just know that some might appreciate the info in case you wanted to know.

Oh and the fishing on the river has been terrible with the extra rain. Rivers are blown out!!

Cheers.

TWM
    Last edited by twowheelmotion; 03-01-2017 at 12:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Sweet! Can't wait (though looks like I'm gonna hafta) to get back up there.
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Sweet! Can't wait (though looks like I'm gonna hafta) to get back up there.
    Don't wait too long. Mid April the remaining trails in the area will be turning on. Really excited to get you out to some new trails while you are here.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the update. Can't wait to get back! Will the old Jabberwocky be open until the new one is open?
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

Nature is not a sidewalk (I'm looking at you, MidPen).

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Thanks for the update. Can't wait to get back! Will the old Jabberwocky be open until the new one is open?
    Nobody knows for sure what the timeline on the faze out is, but that seems to be the plan. Obviously, it takes the same resources to kill a trail off as it does build a new one. By the looks of the gofundme that is asking for the money to complete the new trail, I'd say the old route will be there through the summer. What's great about all this is both trails are side by side and still shuttleable from white rabbit parking lot, which also accesses BTI.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Didn't we just discuss this on Saturday...I really need to get back up there...it's been 25 years

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    Happy March! Really no reason for posting this other than sharing the update from your friends to the north in the Rogue Valley.

Mt Ashland has seen some epic snow this season, so expect a really late start to the season up in the Alpine trails, probably mid June. Base at mid mountain is in the teens (feet), which is a sh*tload of snow for the little hill that could.

What that means for mountain biking in the area is generally, a delayed start, which is probably mid June for access to the alpine areas. However, this season is a little different.

It kind of works out that we have a ton of snow this year, but also that the main trails we generally shuttle are CLOSED until June 30th, 2017, which sort of coincide. Bull Gap, Time Warp, Upper and Lower Links and Catwalk will all be closed to public access until 6/30/17. The locals, including myself aren't stoked, but I'd rather the forest be healthy, the trails stay in great shape for late season, etc.. etc..

Link regarding the closures and work- City of Ashland, Oregon - Ashland Forest Resiliency Project Homepage

Moving on-
    There are still a TON of trails that are open in the Ashland Watershed. And as a matter of fact, there is a brand new trail being cut as I type this. Jabberwokky. Many of you guys and gals have probably ridden the old route, which is a fairly technical DH trail that was bench cut back in the day. Well, as things go, the master trails plan says sustainable is key, so the powers that be, are building one of those fancy new flow trails to replace the old one (the old one is still well in tact though).
    I hate to throw the word "flow" out there, but a machine cut, large berm, groomed jumps at 40" wide, kind of is. Compared to Demo Flow, kind of not. Anyway, this trail, Jabberwokky was recently featured on Pinkbike https://www.pinkbike.com/news/for-th...the-trail.html as a part of the CES (California Enduro Series) and with partners, Santa Cruz Factory Racing and all around badasses Bill and Sue of Ashland Mountain Adventures and will be open as fast as the few volunteers can get her done. If you would like to donate to the cause and help out the new trail build, I'm sue they would really appreciate it. Trails obviously don't get built for free.

Link to GoFundMe: GoFundMe ? Jabberwocky Reroute : RVMBA

Continuing on with the update.. Though most would consider Ashland the crown jewel of Southern Oregon, if not the state itself, there are a whole lot of trail projects happening in the Rogue Valley. The great news is each are beneficial and directed towards the sport of mountain biking. It seems that just about every town in the Rogue Valley has their own trail to ride.

I'm personally looking forward to seeing a few concerts at the Britt Gardens Home. Actually really looking forward to the last week of June when the first concert of the season, Rebelution shows up to play. What's great about this venue is it borders Britt Woods, which is one of 4 forest parks, all which provide mountain bike trails. One could, though it's not encouraged, ride directly up to the fence and actually watch the show! It'll be nice to cap off the weekend by hopping a MTB Shuttle with www.unrealcycles.com to Cook and Green (check your trailforks app) for that one, then cap it all off with a full weekend of riding Mt Ashland!

Hope you guys didn't see this as a shameless plug or a touristy kind of lure to the local area. Just know that some might appreciate the info in case you wanted to know.

Oh and the fishing on the river has been terrible with the extra rain. Rivers are blown out!!

Cheers.

TWM
    Thanks for info
    New trails are cool and everything But losing jabberwackey really sucks .
    Imo flow trails suck too compared to handbuilt singletrack trails.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Town needs

Town needs another great sandwich place. R.I.P. Great American Hero. Post-ride Subway/Togos ain't all that. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Didn't we just discuss this on Saturday...I really need to get back up there...it's been 25 years
    Ha! It's been a while (there to ride versus visiting friends/family) for my mid-age broken body. I loves me some Ashland, living there in the Summers as a kid, riding all over there, that's what got me hooked on mountain bikes.

twowheelmotion, what ever happened with the whole jump park project in town anyhow?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    Town needs

Town needs another great sandwich place. R.I.P. Great American Hero. Post-ride Subway/Togos ain't all that. Just saying.

Ha! It's been a while (there to ride versus visiting friends/family) for my mid-age broken body. I loves me some Ashland, living there in the Summers as a kid, riding all over there, that's what got me hooked on mountain bikes.

twowheelmotion, what ever happened with the whole jump park project in town anyhow?
    Jump park is there! It's pretty fun, actually. And yes, nobody ever complained about too many sandwich places. There's a little place called "sammich" now just off Siskiyou, it's actually really good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Seeing as Time Warp is now "official", will it be used for the October CES Enduro?

Pretty please.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Time Warp has been an "official" trail to my knowledge ARider.
    It was Upper & Lower Links that were not, but now are and they were both included in last years race.

-I donated $100 to the cause today. Let's do this Nor-Cal peep's and then come up for the weekend or the race. Ashland & the surrounding nearby trail systems are awesome & Ashland Mountain Adventures is there to serve YOU and the mountain!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I moved to Ashland 2 months ago and am in absolute heaven, both riding and living. Kudos to the feds for at least identifying the need to replace what they would never accept in the old jab, and leaving it open unenforced until the new trail is complete. That would NEVER happen in Marin where I was before and is such a breath of fresh air. Don't come here it sucks!

mtbr member
    Thanks Nomarin. I won't be coming up there again late June
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The new jab is full of nice berms, doubles/rhythms, tables, and all kinds of pro lines built into a trail that everyone can ride. Flows pretty damn nice and I dare you to ride it without a smile at the end. Not the same as old jab, Which is a bummer but there is plenty around that can fill that void, just a matter of finding it. I would prefer the old to the new as well, and I love raw tech that takes some balls to ride fast, but for this new trail to be a city and land manager approved project is pretty cool for the community here. The trail will shrink down and there are hidden rock gardens that will be exposed after a couple of seasons.

bad reputation

Ashland CES

I love riding Ashland, probably more than D'ville! Why then did I miss out on Registration for the CA Enduro in Ashland OR?
    If anybody has a spot and decide they can't or don't wanna race, PM me & I'll buy you a beer & pay your registration and transfer fees!

(Hope you guys see this as a shameless plug to get you to give up your spot, cuz it is )

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Spring thaw still open for May