Thread: Arnold, CA

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Arnold, CA

we just moved up here. i see there is the ART, but with some snow melting right now i'm wondering are there any trails that are rideable right now? the misses and I have a babysitter tommor which rarely happens and we want to make the most of it.

thanks!

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Can't say for sure, as I live in Stockton, but the guys who live in the Arnold area have been coming down to ride the trails at Hogan a lot lately.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr dismember
    New Melones near Angels Camp should be great. Map on my site.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Both Hogan and New Melones are good now. New Melones a bit prettier and easier trails. Hogan has more technical trails. Tony owner of Arnold tire shop knows the Arnold area very well and can let you know how the trails are. Lots of locals up there. I be riding Hogan today. You can search the threads for info on the different trails.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Stinky View Post
    Hogan has more technical trails.
    Lies, lies ALL LIES!!!

Hogan has kegs at the beginning and end of each trail, with scantily-clad cheerleaders waving you on as you blissfully ascend and descend each rolling hill.

Raffles are every hour, with a brand-new car given away at the end of each day (need not be present to win!).

Be sure to bring your camera, as 1,945 species of wild animals extinct in every other country of the world graze on Hogan's lush pastures. Oops, another 12 have been added since I typed that!

Fish in the lake are of the highest calibre- catch your dinner, it will be cooked for you by the chef of your choice (this requires advance notice, as chefs sometimes need to be flown in from cities around the globe). There is even a section of lake that is saltwater, if you prefer saltwater fish for your meal!

Trail dogs are allowed, if you do not have one, one will be provided.

Mechanics are on hand to care to your bike after your ride. They will go over the bike with a fine-tooth brush to ensure it will be sparkling & performing perfectly for your next ride.

Free massages in the parking lot after your ride, with a world-class restaurant providing free meals. Yes, waitresses & masseuses are female and topless.

Come one, come all!
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Red hills is my favorite winter trail up there. Not for everyone as it's super rocky and sometimes steep. Bear Valley for the win in the summer.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    What Finche Said. I see the guys from Arnold at Hogan and Red Hills quite a bit. Probably Hogan the most. In the summer time you are stones throw from Bear Valley which is great stuff.

New Melones is decent also, particularly if you like fast, easy trails.

dw22107
    Jan 2008
    In addition to the Rim trail. There are more techy, rocky trails with jumps above White Pines. It is also possible to make your way from backside of Bear Valley back to White Pines on dirt. Day trips to Pinecrest are great too. Hogan, New Melones & Red Hills are also favorites. DW

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    And if you like big air, there is the Parrot's Ferry poach.

mtbr member
    I love Arnold! Been coming up there ever since I was a kid. There's some great riding right behind White Pines Lake. If you know your way you can make some fun loops with the trails back there. There's also some fast and fun downhill runs. I was just up there last weekend and can imagine it would be pretty muddy right now with the snow melt though.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

my legs are sore
    Starting from Arnold, the average elevation of ART decreases as you head toward Avery, so even with marginal conditions in Arnold, it still might be worth a ride.

Besides the other trails mentioned here, there are some forest roads that take you from Blue Lake Springs up and through Big Trees Park. It's not very technical riding, but it's a good workout and will keep you busy for a few hours.

My wife and I have a place in Arnold and will be there this weekend. I'm thinking about a Saturday ride on ART, or if conditions aren't good, then I'll probably head down to New Melones.
    I used to do the Hokey-Pokey but then I turned myself around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dw22107 View Post
    There are more techy, rocky trails with jumps above White Pines.
    You have my interest with "more techy, rocky trails with jumps"! I have been looking for something in the area that is more freeride than x-county. Can you share any more details?

dw22107
    Jan 2008
    The bugs can get really bad in the summer along the ART. The techy trails are some of the motorcycle trails 3 miles above Arnold accessed from White Pines. Sometimes its better to ride these if the bugs are bad because its mostly all downhill depending on which trails. They are numbered and rated for difficult. I try an do it in the summer evenings when the motorcycles have left. DW

mtbr member
    Too much snow this weekend .

my legs are sore
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Stinky View Post
    Too much snow this weekend .
    New snow or existing snow? Weekend forecast says maybe a chance above 7000 ft.
    I used to do the Hokey-Pokey but then I turned myself around.

dw22107
    Jan 2008
    the snow has been melting. We need snow at Bear. Meanwhile more snowmelt today. its on the verge of being rideable. Saturday the entrance at @avery was peanut butter, dry at portions but too snow in the shade. Oh yeah, somebody shooting off an automatic rifle right in the area on the fire road but shooting way from the trails. Still climbing and hearing a few hundred shots going off in a ravine you are about to descend can get old. should become more rideable over the next few days.