mtbr member

Aquila Loop Trail

We stared construction of a new staging area on Sierra Road and a new trail, The Aquila Loop Trail on the north side of Sierra Road. This trail and staging area will allow the Boccardo Trail users to access OSA trail system with out having to enter thru Alum Rock Park. We expect to have it open mid August. DT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aquila Loop Trail-trail.jpg  

More Torque
    Cool.

What's the holdup on Blair? The 5 year deadline for opening to the public has long since passed.

-D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~ View Post
    Cool.

What's the holdup on Blair? The 5 year deadline for opening to the public has long since passed.

-D
    I don’t have an answer for that question. That would be something to ask our Operations Manager or AGM, maybe the Board?
    What I do know is we are a very small agency with limited resources and we are totally focused right now on getting public access to Coyote Valley (October) and more areas of Sierra Vista. DT

Is now still the time?
    This is a good prospect! Thanks.
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    Moving along and looking good. I will try to have a better movie next week. Pretty slow going when building a switch back in a rock section. BTW water is from a stock pond. DT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWLW...wS33Q8T4IH2ebQ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aquila Loop Trail-trail_2.jpg  

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by plantguy View Post
    I don’t have an answer for that question. That would be something to ask our Operations Manager or AGM, maybe the Board?
    What I do know is we are a very small agency with limited resources and we are totally focused right now on getting public access to Coyote Valley (October) and more areas of Sierra Vista. DT
    Thanks for the update, DT. I talked to one of the board members last week, though I've not had a good chance to catch up with Andrea. The last time I talked with her was a couple of weeks ago at a community meeting in WG, where she was speaking, but I didn't get a chance to bring up the topic.

Moving along and looking good. I will try to have a better movie next week. Pretty slow going when building a switch back in a rock section. BTW water is from a stock pond. DT
    Making good progress on the trail. Crappy year to be building, but if you wait for the weather, you'll never get anywhere. Keep it up.

-D

mtbr member
    This is going to be a good one. DT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aquila Loop Trail-img_5008_s.jpg  

Aquila Loop Trail-img_5012_s.jpg  

Paper or plastic?
    Nice

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Axe
    Custom User Title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWLW...wS33Q8T4IH2ebQ
    And the next video on the list...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zWy...wS33Q8T4IH2ebQ

I now know it.. You need more lost cyclists to feed your pumas. You could not have been just building nice trails...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Looks like the official grand opening of the parking lot and the Aquila Loop Trail (I'm assuming?) will be Aug 23rd (sat) from 10am-1pm.

Free shuttle from Piedmont HS to the summit. Only 19 tickets left!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/sierra-...14931?aff=eorg

The celebration takes place at the extraordinary Sierra Vista Open Space Preserve which is high in the hills above San Jose. The Open Space Authority will provide shuttle buses to and from the parking lot at Piedmont Hills High School and Sierra Vista Open Space Preserve beginning at 10:30 a.m. Click here for directions to Piedmont Hills High School.

Activities will include:

Free and fun educational activities, games and prizes for kids of all ages
    Special guest speakers including Mayors Chuck Reed and Jose Esteves, Supervisors Cindy Chavez and Dave Cortese, and more!
    Ribbon cutting and dedication ceremony
    Guided hikes to stunning vistas
    Free admission and parking

mtbr member
    We are trying to have a “soft open” this Saturday the 16th. Not sure if we will make it but if folks are looking for something to do maybe cruse up Sierra Road and check it out. The big opening on the 23rd will be full and there will be no parking in the staging area or along Sierra Road.
    The views are stunning and we are very proud and happy to finally have another public access area.
    I was informed yesterday that as soon as SV is open I am immediately to start trail construction in Coyote Valley OSP. So more OSA public access and trails in Santa Clara County! DT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aquila Loop Trail-water.jpg  

Aquila Loop Trail-ex.jpg  

Paper or plastic?
    We are trying to have a “soft open” this Saturday the 16th. Not sure if we will make it but if folks are looking for something to do maybe cruse up Sierra Road and check it out. The big opening on the 23rd will be full and there will be no parking in the staging area or along Sierra Road.
    The views are stunning and we are very proud and happy to finally have another public access area.
    I was informed yesterday that as soon as SV is open I am immediately to start trail construction in Coyote Valley OSP. So more OSA public access and trails in Santa Clara County! DT
    Looks great. For those of us who have never been. Can you give a few more details? How do we get there? How long is the loop? How much climbing? Looking forward to trying it.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Sorry we don’t have any electronic maps ready yet. The big thing is the preserve now needs to be entered through Alum Rock Park but with this new parking area that is no longer the case. So free parking and open 7 days.

From 680 exit east onto Berryessa Road. Follow Berryessa to Piedmont Road and turn left and then right on Sierra Road. Follow Sierra Road to the top and the parking area will be on the right side of the road.

The Kestrel trail will be near the signboard and connects to Sierra Vista Trail with some steep, long climbs. Total trails in this portion is 12.7. Cross Sierra Road and you will find Aquila Loop that is not as steep and is 1.3 miles.

Here is a little more info but Aquila is not listed yet. DT

Santa Clara County Open Space Authority | Trails + Preserves | Sierra Vista

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Aquila Loop and Kestrel (sp?) Trail Pics and Map

Took a little stroll yesterday to check out the new additions to SV. From the parking lot, there is now a trail called the Kestrel Trail that goes from the parking lot down to Sierra Vista Trail. On the north side of Sierra Rd, there is Aquila Loop Trail, which is a Lollipop loop. Between these two new trails, we're looking at an additional 2 miles of trail and ~300 ft of elevation gain. Special thanks to the OSA employee who allowed us to park in the lot and check the trails out despite the area not being officially open.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aquila Loop Trail-img_0696.jpg  

Aquila Loop Trail-map.jpg  

Aquila Loop Trail-img_0708.jpg  

Aquila Loop Trail-img_0702.jpg  

Aquila Loop Trail-img_0699.jpg  

Aquila Loop Trail-img_0698.jpg  

Aquila Loop Trail-img_0691.jpg  

Aquila Loop Trail-img_0679.jpg  

Aquila Loop Trail-img_0677-copy.jpg  

Aquila Loop Trail-img_0673.jpg  

Aquila Loop Trail-img_0671.jpg  

Aquila Loop Trail-img_0706.jpg  

Aquila Loop Trail-img_0693.jpg  

Aquila Loop Trail-img_0675.jpg  

Aquila Loop Trail-img_0707.jpg  

Aquila Loop Trail-img_0682.jpg  

Aquila Loop Trail-img_0681.jpg  

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by K9-Usurper View Post
    Took a little stroll yesterday to check out the new additions to SV. From the parking lot, there is now a trail called the Kestrel Trail that goes from the parking lot down to Sierra Vista Trail. On the north side of Sierra Rd, there is Aquila Loop Trail, which is a Lollipop loop. Between these two new trails, we're looking at an additional 2 miles of trail and ~300 ft of elevation gain. Special thanks to the OSA employee who allowed us to park in the lot and check the trails out despite the area not being officially open.
    Good stuff, and thanks for posting the map and photos. Really helps to better understand the new layout. Different (in a good way) than what I expected.

-D

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    NP D~. Happy to shed some light on something as cool as this that hasn't received much attention. Gotta say though.. being out there, hard not to let the eyes wander towards Mission Peak and think about the possibilities of a more complete bay area ridge trail.

Also worth mentioning, it sounds like the original fire road that goes from the parking lot down to Boccardo will be available as an alternate route to ARP/SV.

mtbr member
    +1 !
    Thanks for the pics & map K9!
    As an East Hills native (St. Victor, PHHS '73) I've been hanging out on Sierra Rd since waaay back.

Nice to have a new trail (Aquila) and upper SV access for those days when I just don't feel like the climb up from ARP.

And HUGE kudos for DT & all the OSA folks who made this happen!!

mtbr member

Kestrel Trail

I rode the almost-finished Kestrel Trail yesterday. Nice .25 mi link-up to SV and Calaveras trails ( & beyond). Kind of an odd feeling though...arriving at the Furtado House with still-fresh-legs! Can't wait to take some laps on the Aquila Trail (wasn't open at the time).

Also, had the chance to chat briefly with plantguy/DT and the crew still shaping the trail. That is a proud team there...and rightly so! Great work! If you see them up there, be sure to say thanks & give 'em some well deserved props!

Coyote Valley is next on the agenda I'm told. Keep up the good work OSA!

More Torque
    Here are some more photos of Aquila, from Saturday's dedication event.

The trail offers a great perspective of Monument Peak, to the north:

Aquila Loop Trail-2014_08_23_sv_53.jpg

Lone drainage crossing, which will likely be wet (fingers crossed) in the spring:

Aquila Loop Trail-2014_08_23_sv_56.jpg

Awesome views of Mt. Diablo as well:

Aquila Loop Trail-2014_08_23_sv_57.jpg

Aquila Loop Trail-2014_08_23_sv_59.jpg

From L-R: OSA's GM, Andrea McKenzie, Bay Area Ridge Trail's Joe Gartlands, OSA Board Member Dorsey Moore, OSA Assistant GM, Matt Freeman:

Aquila Loop Trail-2014_08_23_sv_58.jpg

The view east:

Aquila Loop Trail-2014_08_23_sv_60.jpg

The trail contours nicely, to maximize distance, minimize grade, and better shed water:

Aquila Loop Trail-2014_08_23_sv_62.jpg

Aquila Loop Trail-2014_08_23_sv_63.jpg

Nice resting spot, near the high point on the trail, though it is a bit exposed. Will be great in the evening:

Aquila Loop Trail-2014_08_23_sv_64.jpg

Worth a look, and if you want more freshly built trail, support Measure Q in Nov.

-D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aquila Loop Trail-2014_08_23_sv_55.jpg