Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Anyone from TSP interested in Oat Hill Mine?

I plan on hitting up Oat Hill Mine on Saturday and if anyone is interested please join in. From what I understand it will be a 20 mile ride that is somewhat technical (feel like a 30 mile ride). I've been wanting to hit it up for a while now and with all the rain we've had, what better time. I hear it holds up extremely well in the rain.

Alan

Wēk Ss
    sadly can't ride on Sat this weekend.

mtbr member
    Interested, but not in the rain

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    I plan on hitting up Oat Hill Mine on Saturday and if anyone is interested please join in. From what I understand it will be a 20 mile ride that is somewhat technical (feel like a 30 mile ride). I've been wanting to hit it up for a while now and with all the rain we've had, what better time. I hear it holds up extremely well in the rain.

Alan
    Be aware that area got 6-9" of rain yesterday and should have another 6" by this point tomorrow. You might be riding in a monsoon.

Axe
    Custom User Title

Alan
    Back part of it, does not hold as well, and climb also have quite a few greasy spots - but it is doable even in a mansoon, if you are into that kind of stuff. Carry chain lube.

I just disassembled both of my bikes that are good for that trail. I would not want to climb it in my 1x10 hardtail, I am not strong enough. Though it sounds tempting..

Next weekend should be much, much better.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I just disassembled both of my bikes that are good for that trail.
    Ah, right, it's that time of year. I should do the same, been meaning to rebuild my shock too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Good info. Since some traveling is involved, I'll wait for another weekend. I'm just eager to get out and ride . Maybe El Sereno???

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Good info. Since some traveling is involved, I'll wait for another weekend. I'm just eager to get out and ride . Maybe El Sereno???
    This weekend I will opt for a gym visit, and maybe a neighborhood run.

Oat Hill next weekend sounds very good, have not been there in a while.

Hipster
    I'm in for El Sereno

mtbr member
    I'll pass on any rides this weekend (rain), but hopefully next weekend the sun's out. This weekend I'm gonna try to get past 15min of P90x yoga. It's a tough workout ...to get through it without getting bored . But my little buddy makes it fun when he jumps on my back for a horsey ride while I'm doing the up or down dog pose

Hipster
    Just got an update from the open space authority that Rancho Canada del Oro is open. (Sierra Vista is closed)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I think I'm going to hit up Nisene tomorrow. Just me, myself and I.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by mboldt View Post
    Just got an update from the open space authority that Rancho Canada del Oro is open. (Sierra Vista is closed)
    cool. i may try to hit it, if i can find a time slot tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Hey bassn,

Oat Hill Mine is seriously fun but not day trip fun. I ride there every year but do it as part of a weekend gettaway because Calistoga is a great town. If you have family (I forget), they will love the area...for you, sneak out early and explore OHM and get in a sweet run which leaves you lots of time to hang out later. If you are extra lucky, sneak out again early the next day and take the 30 minute drive over the hill to Annadel for a longer, kick ass ride (ping your MTBR brethoren for a guide)...this way you can bag two GREAT MTB destinations in one road trip.

Also, if you are looking to get away during wet times, Monterey is only an hour and hosts some pretty good single track at Fort Ord and elsewhere that holds up in the rain...find a guide and you can sample some really good stuff...so I am told).
    Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Hey bassn,

Oat Hill Mine is seriously fun but not day trip fun. I ride there every year but do it as part of a weekend gettaway because Calistoga is a great town. If you have family (I forget), they will love the area...for you, sneak out early and explore OHM and get in a sweet run which leaves you lots of time to hang out later. If you are extra lucky, sneak out again early the next day and take the 30 minute drive over the hill to Annadel for a longer, kick ass ride (ping your MTBR brethoren for a guide)...this way you can bag two GREAT MTB destinations in one road trip.

Also, if you are looking to get away during wet times, Monterey is only an hour and hosts some pretty good single track at Fort Ord and elsewhere that holds up in the rain...find a guide and you can sample some really good stuff...so I am told).
    Great suggestion squashyo! Funny thing, my wife mentioned the same thing to me last night about a weekend get away to Calistoga. She would have no problem hanging out with the kids for a few hours while I play in the dirt . Plus, as you mention, I will also hit Annadel up and remove two items off my bucket list. Thanks for the suggestion.

I will most likely go ride Mission Peak (Stanford side) today and just do a few up and downs for some exercise. Maybe I'll post up a thread looking for some suggestions, or a guide to show me around Fort Ord tomorrow. The chances of rain is definitely a lot lower tomorrow than today.

Inspector Gadget
    Man whoever told you OHM was "somewhat" technical must be a badass! Lol that trail is an ass kicker especially if you do ALL of it. I rode the Aetna springs side to holms place this afternoon... Lots of water flow. Had a great ride and even came across a couple hiking at the top. They said I was crazy lol

Anyone from TSP interested in Oat Hill Mine?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354407597.103896.jpg
    Anyone from TSP interested in Oat Hill Mine?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354407644.330988.jpg
    Anyone from TSP interested in Oat Hill Mine?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354407678.855051.jpg
    Anyone from TSP interested in Oat Hill Mine?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354407696.483622.jpg
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

Inspector Gadget
    Oh and I was gonna say if you make trip up with the wife. I'd go to Boggs instead of Annadel after riding OHM. Annadel is rocks and less tech and torture than OHM. Boggs is a complete contrast to both... miles of smooth badass single track through the forest.
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    MMmmm oats and mines.

Great place! I'd describe it as "somewhat Tech" with the condition that it is better to first ride when it is dry.

The gnar gnar above Santa Barbara on the front side trails is much more........... uhm. Interesting.

Extra dots added for the sake of adding them!

Wēk Ss
    Personally, I'd skip OHM and ride Annadel and Bogg's, if making a trip. I've been meaning to go to Bogg's. That's what I hear, sweet sweet forest ride. I've been to Annadel a few times, always good and more my type of place than OHM. If trekking up and staying over a weekend, I'd do Tamarancho, Annadel, and Bogg's.

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    Man whoever told you OHM was "somewhat" technical must be a badass! Lol that trail is an ass kicker especially if you do ALL of it. I rode the Aetna springs side to holms place this afternoon... Lots of water flow. Had a great ride and even came across a couple hiking at the top. They said I was crazy lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354407597.103896.jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	312.2 KB 
ID:	741508

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354407644.330988.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	293.6 KB 
ID:	741509

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354407678.855051.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	228.4 KB 
ID:	741510

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354407696.483622.jpg 
Views:	556 
Size:	394.8 KB 
ID:	741511
    These are all great shots of the back side. The entire trail holds up fine to all weather conditions. The back side actually has more chunk. The only time riding sucks up there when all the flowing water freezes and ice-sickles form on the water falls. Ice riding!! Sometimes we get those rare extreme lows. Can't wait to get up there tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    Oh and I was gonna say if you make trip up with the wife. I'd go to Boggs instead of Annadel after riding OHM. Annadel is rocks and less tech and torture than OHM. Boggs is a complete contrast to both... miles of smooth badass single track through the forest.
    Maybe I need to get back to Boggs but my recollection was that it had smooth flowy single track but not much else...just kinda that same thing all day. My buddy who lives up there told me the same thing. Also, Boggs is another 2 hours driving round trip if I am not mistaken.

Annadel has a bit of everything IMHO. Yes, some chunk but also some super fast flowy dirt ST (Lawndale rocks!!!). Lacks in big hits and stunts but I do recall some nice booters here and there. And it's only 30 mins from wife and kids. You can ride ST there for hours and not get the whole park in.

I'd stick with OHM because it's a classic, it's in town, it's scenic as all heck, and a type of riding you won't see anywhere else around these parts...I'd stick with Annadel because it kicks ass, is diverse, is close. Once you bag these, go hit Boggs on the next road trip...I'll join you as I wouldn't mind giving Boggs another shot.
    Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

NedwannaB
    OatHill Rocks! Quite literally as you found out!!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    For the Oat Hill guys:

Can you ride up Oat Hill Mine Trail, left onto Palisades trail, and loop it out using highway 29? Which would be the most fun variant of this?

We ride Annadel a lot and have never ridden OHM, thought this might be a good weekend to check it out.

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by Christieland View Post
    For the Oat Hill guys:

Can you ride up Oat Hill Mine Trail, left onto Palisades trail, and loop it out using highway 29? Which would be the most fun variant of this?

We ride Annadel a lot and have never ridden OHM, thought this might be a good weekend to check it out.
    This wouldn't be much fun because palisades trail is lots of hiking and if you've never been to oat hill, you'll probably be hiking most of the last 1/2 mile until palisades trail junction. As a first timer this trail is best ridden from Calistoga to Aetna springs and back. Lots of hikers on the weekends on stoga side.

Master of None
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncstad View Post
    The only time riding sucks up there when all the flowing water freezes and ice-sickles form on the water falls. Ice riding!!
    Like this?

Or like this? Yes, that's me on ice.

Night ride tonight.
    Love Hurts: Oat Hill Mine Night Ride - Annadel Mountain Biking Group (Santa Rosa, CA) - Meetup

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast