Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Laker and a Trail Blazer
    Yes. Exactly like that.

I wish I could have made that night ride. I have to do it next time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Anyone riding OHM on Saturday? I think that I might go if anyone wants to meet up!

Oh and Broncstad, I talked to you one day at the OHM trailhead. Told you that I recognized your bike and liked the photos that you post on here. The two guys that I was riding with that day are the ones who organized that night ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Maybe I need to get back to Boggs but my recollection was that it had smooth flowy single track but not much else...just kinda that same thing all day.
    Boggs is an hour from Calistoga, not 2. And sadly, it is just miles and miles of flowy singletrack. For a bay area rider, I know you would probably be bored without the miles and miles of fireroad climbing.

It's got some rocks, try Gails and Houghton Creek. It's got some steeps, try Kevin's and Charlie's. It's got some trails that look like no one has been on except the mountain lions... It's good stuff! Yes, it's a long drive and not as exciting as say, Tahoe.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

NedwannaB

Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    Boggs is an hour from Calistoga, not 2. And sadly, it is just miles and miles of flowy singletrack. For a bay area rider, I know you would probably be bored without the miles and miles of fireroad climbing.

It's got some rocks, try Gails and Houghton Creek. It's got some steeps, try Kevin's and Charlie's. It's got some trails that look like no one has been on except the mountain lions... It's good stuff! Yes, it's a long drive and not as exciting as say, Tahoe.
    And they(he/she/them) could finish the afternoon, or stay the night there, back in downtown Calistoga if they wanted too.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post

1 hour to get there, one hour to get back...2 hours. I've got miles and miles of long flowy ST right here in the Bay (secret stash...shhhh...someday we'll showya) It's a long way to go for trails that didn't exactly wow...they were good but not destination good....I think....it has been a while.
    I'm not sure how this works.

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanTemplar View Post
    Anyone riding OHM on Saturday? I think that I might go if anyone wants to meet up!

Oh and Broncstad, I talked to you one day at the OHM trailhead. Told you that I recognized your bike and liked the photos that you post on here. The two guys that I was riding with that day are the ones who organized that night ride.
    I remember bro. I usually ride oat hill 3 times a week this time of year, but rarely on the weekends. I'll be there Monday.

NedwannaB

Vaccant....

Quote Originally Posted by Broncstad View Post
    I remember bro. I usually ride oat hill 3 times a week this time of year, but rarely on the weekends. I'll be there Monday.
    Only 1 pr of hikers siting off to side on way up during first part of AMTBG ride. 4 riders partway down from camp heading to Aetna as we were on our way back out from dropping to there. No one else except a couple starting their hike at the very bottom end of ride. Fantastic conditions up there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Indeed it was! Good riding and nice meeting you! - G

mtbr member
    First time to Oat Hill Saturday. It was very cute, so MTBR, when we were coming down, two or three guys passed us, huge smiles on their faces, asking us if we were part of the Annadel Meetup Group ride. "We're from SAN JOSE!" they said.

We had a lot of fun testing our skills on that trail. After you get to the saddle, I was pretty happy to clean some stuff after that, but then there was this one huge rock formation thing that just kind of blew my mind. Quite a bit of hiking for me, but always fun to try a section, hike a little, try another.

We got to Holm's Place, and went further on and a little bit past a kind of secretly menacing spring crossing the trail. We didn't know if the trail would dump us DOWN to Aetna Springs Road, we were kind of done climbing at that point, so we turned around. I really wish we'd gone all the way - what's the rest of the trail like to Aetna? Up? Down? Chunky?

So pretty up there. Crossing back over the spring, my bike had to tell me twice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone from TSP interested in Oat Hill Mine?-oathill.jpg  

Anyone from TSP interested in Oat Hill Mine?-photo-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I was with the Annadel group and we passed the SJ group as well. I'm surprised our paths didn't cross either. You must've started the ride after us and turned around when we were closer to Aetna Springs.

The ride is beautiful! I think that that was my fourth time doing it now. It was my second time riding all the way to Aetna. I really like that side of the trail. It's more rolling and there are lots of technical sections that are more technically challenging than everything preceding the saddle but less difficult than the section near Holm's Place, where I mostly hike a bike.

JMac47 led us on some of the single track stuff on the way down and it scared the hell out of me. As one of the other riders described it, it was like riding a really long twisty skinny. Was cool to see what else was up there though. I've also ridden The Rollers trail off of OHM and it's twisty and fast with some big banked turns and a couple of ladders.

Inspector Gadget
    Aetna springs trail head to Holms place portion is about 1000' vert with plenty of chunk. Although it doesnt "feel" as hard because you arent climbing it all in one shot like above the saddle on OHM. Calistoga to Holms is 2200' vert. If you do it all in/out its 17mi. It's an ass kicker but its f'n rad.

We did an epic ride in the area Sunday it was badass! even though I had 5 flat tires! lol
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

mtbr member
    We were there couple of weeks ago and it was a blast.

mtbr member

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by tjwebber17 View Post
    Very very nice. I might have seen you guys on your way down. I was on my way up for the second time to hit the rollers.

NedwannaB

Arrgh! The Rollers!

Quote Originally Posted by Broncstad View Post
    Very very nice. I might have seen you guys on your way down. I was on my way up for the second time to hit the rollers.
    That segment was mentioned many times on our outing.

NedwannaB

Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Christieland View Post
    First time to Oat Hill Saturday. It was very cute, so MTBR, when we were coming down, two or three guys passed us, huge smiles on their faces, asking us if we were part of the Annadel Meetup Group ride. "We're from SAN JOSE!" they said.

We had a lot of fun testing our skills on that trail. After you get to the saddle, I was pretty happy to clean some stuff after that, but then there was this one huge rock formation thing that just kind of blew my mind. Quite a bit of hiking for me, but always fun to try a section, hike a little, try another.

We got to Holm's Place, and went further on and a little bit past a kind of secretly menacing spring crossing the trail. We didn't know if the trail would dump us DOWN to Aetna Springs Road, we were kind of done climbing at that point, so we turned around. I really wish we'd gone all the way - what's the rest of the trail like to Aetna? Up? Down? Chunky?

So pretty up there. Crossing back over the spring, my bike had to tell me twice.
    I think I have that same helmet with similar markings too! I trust you headed to replace it before next ride.

As for the rest of the trail to Aetna, I'd have to say similar but different. I really like that side. Except for the last rocky section (I got stalled in a hole....) before the drop to the turn around at Aetna, it's pretty tech flowy, both going and coming back out. You'll be worked by then tho and abit more as you crawl back out up to the saddle at Holms camp.

mtbr member
    is the entire Palisades Trail open only to hikers? or are bikes allowed on the Holmes Place side of the trail?
    I bet you'd do the same if they was you!

NedwannaB

Ahh, screen name makes sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanTemplar View Post
    I was with the Annadel group and we passed the SJ group as well. I'm surprised our paths didn't cross either. You must've started the ride after us and turned around when we were closer to Aetna Springs.

The ride is beautiful! I think that that was my fourth time doing it now. It was my second time riding all the way to Aetna. I really like that side of the trail. It's more rolling and there are lots of technical sections that are more technically challenging than everything preceding the saddle but less difficult than the section near Holm's Place, where I mostly hike a bike.

JMac47 led us on some of the single track stuff on the way down and it scared the hell out of me. As one of the other riders described it, it was like riding a really long twisty skinny. Was cool to see what else was up there though. I've also ridden The Rollers trail off of OHM and it's twisty and fast with some big banked turns and a couple of ladders.
    Yeah that was a good ride. Sorry about the singletrack dirt skinnys we finished on. Forgot about you "high center of gravity" guys. Can you believe Nathan doing it without a rear brake. Kids.....

I did post a few pix to the AMBG site but they didn't load for some reason. Let's keep in touch for future rides, with no surprise route diversions. You can lead us on the "Rollers" route next time. You can PM me on here.

Jmac

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    From the dead...

How safe is Hwy 29 from Palisades trail back to start of Oat Mine?

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Palisades Trail becomes Table Rock trail before it reaches the 29, at Robt. Louis Stevenson park, way up near the crest. I have not ridden a bike on that part of the 29 and do not think it would be safe to ride it back down to the OHM trail head. The road winds a lot, has switchbacks and is steep and cars descending tend to go fast, cut corners, and drive in the shoulder, which is not very wide in many places. I've noticed a few people on bikes looking very uncomfortable getting buzzed by cars.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    From the dead...

How safe is Hwy 29 from Palisades trail back to start of Oat Mine?
    Why that way/direction? From what I understand, the regular route is from RLS lot and finish on OHM Trail.

my body breaks the falls
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfloren View Post
    The road winds a lot, has switchbacks and is steep and cars descending tend to go fast, cut corners, and drive in the shoulder, which is not very wide in many places. I've noticed a few people on bikes looking very uncomfortable getting buzzed by cars.
    Not to mention the abundance of big pickups and SUVs with those side view mirrors that extend a good 18" out at just about biker-head level. Ouch. I wouldn't try it.
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

mtbr member
    The only way is to take The Old Toll Road.
    Only a few minutes on 29 to the junction. Most of the way, I can keep up with traffic.
    If you ride fast enough, only a few cars will pass you.
    Make sure the coast is clear behind and own the lane on the corners.
    Still scary though.

Inspector Gadget

Anyone from TSP interested in Oat Hill Mine?

I commute over st Helena everyday... Anybody who chooses to ride that road must have a death wish. I would be more afraid of cars than trucks... My eclipse can take those corners a good 15-20mph faster than my f350. Lots of road rage over that hill... The top five dumbest things I have ever witnessed a driver do... Have been on that mountain!
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2