190lbs of climber

Anyone heading to Weaverville for the State Championships?

If so, would you like to carpool and camp? I'll be bringing my DH and XC bike, but have a five bike rack, so I've got a few slots available. I will be leaving Friday the 19th morning (supeD is at 5 pm Friday), and returning Sunday night.

To those of you on the fence on this one: I rode/race the Super D, DH, and XC course in May during the 12 hr/Gravity Day weekend, and they are totally worth it. I'm going up there just for the one mile of amazing singletrack that concludes the DH course.

Edit: Yes JL, I just took over the van for the weekend. You're invited, but you've got that stupid golf tournament
    Edit2: Leaving from San Jose, and willing to go a little out of the way
    Last edited by Menso; 10-10-2007 at 11:52 PM.
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

jms
    mtbr member

Good luck

Hey Menso,
    Good luck up there this weekend! I'm sure you'll do well. The trails will be in even better shape than they were in May, there's been a few storms - so the dust will be settled, and the traction will be better. Bring warm clothes, it was cold up there in the mornings last weekend.

2012 Race: April 28th!

I'll be there!

For the XC race. And Menso the XC course has more singletrack than was used in the 12 hr race! This is probably my favorite XC after after Lemurian. More rain is in the forecast for next week so the dust will be gone, conditions will be perfect.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member

I'll be there for the XC

My inlaws live in Weaverville so I'll be there for the XC on Saturday. I agree with the others that this race is loaded with super fun single track and flume trails. I rode some of the new trails with my father inlaw a month or so ago and I'm thinking this is the extra .5 miles or so added to the course for a total of 22.5 miles. It can be a bit of a haul to get there from the Bay Area, but you'll thank yourself later, for doing it! The Weaver Basin Trail System is truly is an out of the way gem.
    Cheers!
    Speaking as a completely objective, third party outsider with absolutely no personal interest in the matter...

rj2
    mtbr member
    I'm racing Sport 45-49 XC. I have the NorCal points championship wrapped up, so the final race is for all the marbles.

I'm leaving SJ Friday around 10 AM with the wife and dog. Where are you camping?
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

Quote Originally Posted by rj2
    I'm racing Sport 45-49 XC. I have the NorCal points championship wrapped up, so the final race is for all the marbles.

I'm leaving SJ Friday around 10 AM with the wife and dog. Where are you camping?
    The best camping is at the E Weaver Campground. The course runs very close to the campground, and you can ride to the starting line if you like, takes around 20 mins tops.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hey, there's more to life then biking. I enjoy my once-a-month golf tournaments and don't need to spend 12 hours driving for a few hours biking. But OK, you may have the minivan, although it sounds like you can get a ride with rj2. Is Pierre or Chris joining you?

- J.L.
    Last edited by JL de Jong; 10-11-2007 at 01:24 PM.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

190lbs of climber

Do you have room for me and two bikes? That would be awesome. It's a long drive to do alone, both monetarily and time-wise.
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

190lbs of climber
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong
    Hey, there's more to life then biking.
    - J.L.
    That's crazy-talk!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I'll be there.

In full sandbag regalia.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Question

I've got zero state races under my belt. I race a single speed. I've noticed that there are 3 catagories for single speeders, Sport/Expert/Pro. Do I have to race sport?

rj2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso
    Do you have room for me and two bikes? That would be awesome. It's a long drive to do alone, both monetarily and time-wise.
    I think so, I'll ask the wife. What else are you bringing along?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    In full sandbag regalia.
    Ahhh, the champ returns to defend his crown!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    Ahhh, the champ returns to defend his crown!
    No dillusional hopes here. Theres going to be a lot of very fast people. But I might have a shot at sport single speed.

the cool nerd

another carpool possibility

If I can get into a carpool, I'd roll up from Bakersfield, to get beat harshly in the ss expert/open category...

any takers?
    "The search for a perfect pint should take lifetime." M.Jackson

Ride bikes, not goats. Just good advice

190lbs of climber
    I think so, I'll ask the wife. What else are you bringing along?
    Not much else. A compressed backpacking sleeping bag, sleeping mat, some food. I'll basically be living in lycra all weekend. Ewww. If you need a tent (and other camping gear), I can grab ours. It easily sleeps 4 or 5.

rj2
    mtbr member
    Not much else. A compressed backpacking sleeping bag, sleeping mat, some food. I'll basically be living in lycra all weekend. Ewww. If you need a tent (and other camping gear), I can grab ours. It easily sleeps 4 or 5.
    I'm only racing XC. What events are you entering? We were planning on returning Saturday after the awards. If you're racing Super D on Friday I'm not sure we can make it up with much time to spare.

Edit: Never mind, I finally re-read your original post. So much for reading comprehension.
    Last edited by rj2; 10-11-2007 at 02:31 PM.

I've got zero state races under my belt. I race a single speed. I've noticed that there are 3 catagories for single speeders, Sport/Expert/Pro. Do I have to race sport?
    To race expert you need an annual NORBA license.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

190lbs of climber
    I'm only racing XC. What events are you entering? We were planning on returning Saturday after the awards. If you're racing Super D on Friday I'm not sure we can make it up with much time to spare.

Edit: Never mind, I finally re-read your original post. So much for reading comprehension.
    Given a 10am departure, there should be no problem making the 5pm superD, and I've already done the course a few times so I don't really need a practice run, though if we make it up there at 4 there might still be time. I'm fine with going up for the Friday SuperD and Saturday XC. If I find someone up there who's heading back to the Bay Area Sunday with room for me and my bikes, I could stay for the DH and STXC, but those aren't too important.
    PM with details, if I can get a ride.

Ancient Chinese Secret
    If so, would you like to carpool and camp? I'll be bringing my DH and XC bike, but have a five bike rack, so I've got a few slots available. I will be leaving Friday the 19th morning (supeD is at 5 pm Friday), and returning Sunday night.

To those of you on the fence on this one: I rode/race the Super D, DH, and XC course in May during the 12 hr/Gravity Day weekend, and they are totally worth it. I'm going up there just for the one mile of amazing singletrack that concludes the DH course.

Edit: Yes JL, I just took over the van for the weekend. You're invited, but you've got that stupid golf tournament
    Edit2: Leaving from San Jose, and willing to go a little out of the way
    I have a camper van, but probably won't leave till Saturday afternoon. Also leaving from San Jose, might have room for 1 or 2. Only doing the DH on Sunday. Would do the Super-D, but don't want to hang around on Saturday doing nothing (not into XC).

If anyone is interested, ping me.

Ancient Chinese Secret
    Isn't it the weekend of the 19-21, not this weekend, right?

On second thought, might make the whole weekend. I have an errand to run in Chico, may leave Thursday night, but have to make a detour. Does that work for anyone? I can do practice runs after 1:30 on Saturday for the DH, and can do the Super-D for grins (without practice) Friday night.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I was up there Saturday and rode the course. really fun
    Ran into Lemurian Guy up there. helped us get back on course. It was mainly dry with only one section on Musser Hill climb in the trees was slimy and clingy but other than that the course ripped. no downed trees or any obstructions at all. saw about 6 others riding it also. local pros and such. as we were coming from the course they were heading up for a 2nd lap . from what I understand there will not be to much rain this week. so it should be sweet

190lbs of climber
    Hmm, looks like I'm out. It's gonna be too hard to get to SJ from SLO and then up to Weaverville. I'll do the collegiate race instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmtbrcr
    Ran into Lemurian Guy up there. helped us get back on course. It was mainly dry with only one section on Musser Hill climb in the trees was slimy and clingy but other than that the course ripped. no downed trees or any obstructions at all. saw about 6 others riding it also. local pros and such. as we were coming from the course they were heading up for a 2nd lap . from what I understand there will not be to much rain this week. so it should be sweet
    I'm glad I ran into you guys, I had really fun time. The current weather forecast is calling mostly for showers this week with the exception of rain on Wednesday. The most of the course dries really well with the exception of the bottom of Musser Hill and the first 1/2 mile or so out of the high school. Both of those sections have lots of clingy, slimy red clay (just like out at Shasta Dam for you old timers). My Ignitors filled up immediately so I'm contemplating running a better mud tire.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member

Gps Profile

Quote Originally Posted by ccmtbrcr

Did anyone happen to get a GPS profile of the course, that they could post for all to see?
    Speaking as a completely objective, third party outsider with absolutely no personal interest in the matter...

Quote Originally Posted by Jski1911
    Did anyone happen to get a GPS profile of the course, that they could post for all to see?
    I don't have (or want!) that type of gear. But I'd guess there is 2600-2800 ft of climbing. After you reach the top at around mile 12 there is 1 more short but significant climb at about mile 18-19. On Saturday it was very loose, rocky and steep. My rear wheel spun out and I had to push. The whole climb takes less than 5 minutes, but its significant because its steep and its toward the end where people will be fatigued.

Edit: I'm heading up there again tomorrow, weather permitting. I'll try to remember my camera and take a few pics of what might be some really nasty mud! Having said that, there are only a couple of short sections that contain sticky, gooey mud. The rest of the course drains well and was in excellent shape on Saturday. I also noted that the course dries quickly, as we returned to the start the trails were noticeably drier than on the way out.
    Last edited by LemurianGuy; 10-16-2007 at 02:05 PM.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Where the heck are you talking about?

I don't have (or want!) that type of gear. But I'd guess there is 2600-2800 ft of climbing. After you reach the top at around mile 12 there is 1 more short but significant climb at about mile 18-19. On Saturday it was very loose, rocky and steep. My rear wheel spun out and I had to push. The whole climb takes less than 5 minutes, but its significant because its steep and its toward the end where people will be fatigued.

Edit: I'm heading up there again tomorrow, weather permitting. I'll try to remember my camera and take a few pics of what might be some really nasty mud! Having said that, there are only a couple of short sections that contain sticky, gooey mud. The rest of the course drains well and was in excellent shape on Saturday. I also noted that the course dries quickly, as we returned to the start the trails were noticeably drier than on the way out.
    For the life of me I can't figure out where you are talking about. The part that is in 18-19 miles that is short and loose.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    you must of took the wrong turn.if your riding the trail towards weaverville the flow of the trail is to the left on the fire road but we climb to the right, steep and loose hard to ride then you top out on that trail and you rolldown to jackass ridge trail

For the life of me I can't figure out where you are talking about. The part that is in 18-19 miles that is short and loose.
    Nate the course is a little different than last year. There is a detour off Jackass Ridge trail to the left on the way out. It goes up some, then down and back onto Jackass ridge. We come back the same way, so its a right hand detour in the rolling section with the water bars.

Can you join Steve & I for a preride tomorrow? Leaving Steve's at 7:30 er 7:15 for you!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Gotta work

Nate the course is a little different than last year. There is a detour off Jackass Ridge trail to the left on the way out. It goes up some, then down and back onto Jackass ridge. We come back the same way, so its a right hand detour in the rolling section with the water bars.

Can you join Steve & I for a preride tomorrow? Leaving Steve's at 7:30 er 7:15 for you!
    Bummer

mtbr member

Um...

[QUOTE=LemurianGuy]Nate the course is a little different than last year. There is a detour off Jackass Ridge trail to the left on the way out. "

There's nothing new on JackAss Ridge. The only difference this year from last is that the first singletrack will be the one higher up (the one that was buried in fallen trees last year). Which is good cuz it gives the charging pack an extra mile of climbing fireroad before getting funneled into singletrack.

I think I know which trail you're thinking of to the right of JackAss ridge. That one is not on the USFS trail inventory.

Bigfoot

[QUOTE=Bigfoot]
    Nate the course is a little different than last year. There is a detour off Jackass Ridge trail to the left on the way out. "

There's nothing new on JackAss Ridge. The only difference this year from last is that the first singletrack will be the one higher up (the one that was buried in fallen trees last year). Which is good cuz it gives the charging pack an extra mile of climbing fireroad before getting funneled into singletrack.

I think I know which trail you're thinking of to the right of JackAss ridge. That one is not on the USFS trail inventory.

Bigfoot
    That's great news, the extra climb on the way out wasn't bad, but it was pretty tough coming back. I think we followed the map from the Bigfoot website, on the way out we went left and up a pretty steep hill at marker #17. Last year's course took the right hand fork which I think is the Jackass Ridge. If the course is the same as last year, we went the wrong way, and I think the map is off a bit.

Great call on adding that first singletrack back in. That's a really fun trail!
    Last edited by LemurianGuy; 10-16-2007 at 06:51 PM.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    Thinking about heading up but what's the DH course like??
    PipeHittersUnion

e.thirteen,EVOMO,IntenseCycles,Maxxis,ODI,SDG,661

190lbs of climber
    Quote Originally Posted by J_B
    The first two sections is rutted steep loose on-your-brakes-the-whole-way-down, with a few jumps and one gap (with bypass). Then you go into a quick fireroad downhill, followed by about a mile of fast pedaling singletrack. As a whole, think Downieville DH, but compressed into 7-10 minutes, so it's actually a full-effort DH. Pretty epic if you ask me.

mtbr member

What Menso said...

Quote Originally Posted by J_B
    DOWNHILL COURSE: The start is way up WeaverBolly road at 5600' & the finish is next to East Weaver Campground at 2800'..It's along one, it takes a pro about 7.5 minutes to do the 3.2 miles. There are some super-steep chutes up top, some cool jumps and drops, high-speed sweepers, a creek jump and some twisty singletrack near the end.

Go here for a course map: http://www.teambigfoot.net/LaGrangeDownhillMap.htm

XC Course Report Wed am

After a night of rain I wasn't sure what to expect. As we left Redding and headed west to Weaverville we could see clouds hanging low over the hills. We hit a few showers near the top of Buckhorn Summit, but on whole the drive was pretty dry. The Weaverville Basin was mostly cloudly with some breaks in the clouds, temps in the low 50's at the bottom and maybe lower 40's near the top. The dirt was nice and tacky, a little muddy with a few small puddles, but all in all very rideable.We stopped at the high point of the course for photos of Weaverville and Gator's memorial.

Gator was apparantly a very well liked local logger who was killed in an auto accident at this spot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Another pic from Gator's memorial, not sure how the skulls figure into it!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Are you saying the course goes directly from 17-->18 and not 17-->19-->18? It shows that steep climb on both the XC and the Super D maps.

mtbr member

Right...

17 to 18...

That's what happens when you create a course map from memory, sitting at your desk 100 miles from the actual course.

Just finished marking the Beginner course. It's wet out there but except for a few avoidable holes, it's not muddy, just wet.

Time for a quick lunch then I'll head back out & finish marking the lower sections of the Sport/Expert course and the Super-D.

Bigfoot

I'm confused also Tim.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Vic, what about the section right outside the high school? The part leading to that steep little downhill. Will we be using that? If so, what's it like?
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

rj2
    mtbr member
    Tim,

We met last year during a pre-ride at the final Big Bear Race. I was riding an NRS1 with a Spinner fork. So, do you think many pros will show from SoCal?

Richard

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

check in

Help...Where is the "check-in" for the races this weekend? We are new to the Weaverville area and I cant find anything on the web that says where to go for check in at the races. I guess we will go to the start line and figure it out from there. I looks like Nate will be doing Super-D, X-Country, Downhill and Short track. (junior-x)

- Menso, to bad your not going, Nate got a new Super-D rig he wants to show off. Good luck in Chico.

Cheers,
    Pat
    ...aka - N8's Dad

mtbr member

XC checks in at the high school

I don't know about the other races but the check in for the XC is at the high school on the North side of town. Just continue through town and just before you head up the hill going out of town you will see the high school on the right. I can't imagine the check in being elsewhere for Super D and DH.
    Good Luck !

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It has been raining since thursday noon in redding/wvvl. It will be extremely wet and cold.

I was at about 5000' wed and there was snow. I am sure it has moved up.

Here is the story on Gator. He was a personal friend of mine and was my father in laws best friend for 40 + years. Gator house is about 200 yards east of that memorial.

Gator was hunting that day and was driving musser hill road home. The wood gates near that place lead to his property. what really happened is speculation of course, but this is what I think.

He was looking over the side of the hill for deer, when his tires got too close to the edge, he was unable to get the vehicle back on the road and it rolled down the embankment. He was found sitting next to his truck dead of massive internal injuries. He may have had a heart attack that caused him to lose control of his vehicle. We will never know.
    Gator was a logger, a hunter and a family man. He was a great person and just a down home type of guy. He moved to weaverville as a young boy from louisiana, hence the nickname Gator. He died doing what he loved to do, he died on his mountain.
    So when you go by say hi to Gator for me, just tell him casey said hi.

I doubt anyone is heartless enough to mess with the memorial, but if you see anyone doing it, tell them the story.

To me the skull looks like an alligator skull.

RIP Gator.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I don't know who else is coming from anywhere but Chico. I'm sure some people will be there since it's the state championship, but I haven't really talked with anyone other than the people I ride with. Jenkins and Helbock are the most likely to travel a long distance, and then from NorCal I guess we'll see. I know that myself, Mike Andres, and Aren Timmel will be up there. In the semipros I know Nigel Hill, Tom Sharp, Jim Hewitt, and some others will be there. There will be some pro and semi pro downhillers for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEKEDAWG
    It has been raining since thursday noon in redding/wvvl. It will be extremely wet and cold.

I was at about 5000' wed and there was snow. I am sure it has moved up.

Here is the story on Gator. He was a personal friend of mine and was my father in laws best friend for 40 + years. Gator house is about 200 yards east of that memorial.

Gator was hunting that day and was driving musser hill road home. The wood gates near that place lead to his property. what really happened is speculation of course, but this is what I think.

He was looking over the side of the hill for deer, when his tires got too close to the edge, he was unable to get the vehicle back on the road and it rolled down the embankment. He was found sitting next to his truck dead of massive internal injuries. He may have had a heart attack that caused him to lose control of his vehicle. We will never know.
    Gator was a logger, a hunter and a family man. He was a great person and just a down home type of guy. He moved to weaverville as a young boy from louisiana, hence the nickname Gator. He died doing what he loved to do, he died on his mountain.
    So when you go by say hi to Gator for me, just tell him casey said hi.

I doubt anyone is heartless enough to mess with the memorial, but if you see anyone doing it, tell them the story.

To me the skull looks like an alligator skull.

RIP Gator.
    Thanks for the background, everytime I've ridden past I've stopped and wondered what the story is. Now I know.

RIP Gator
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member

XC and DH check in are at the high school...

...but today's Super-D is past the high school. You'll see a sign at the stop sign below the school "SUPER-D 1/2 MILE." Head up the dirt road and look for bunch of fools in the rain on the left.

Bigfoot

Quote Originally Posted by TX MTB
    Help...Where is the "check-in" for the races this weekend? We are new to the Weaverville area and I cant find anything on the web that says where to go for check in at the races. I guess we will go to the start line and figure it out from there. I looks like Nate will be doing Super-D, X-Country, Downhill and Short track. (junior-x)

- Menso, to bad your not going, Nate got a new Super-D rig he wants to show off. Good luck in Chico.

Cheers,
    Pat
    ...aka - N8's Dad

mtbr member

Weaverville was sick