Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    2012 Race: April 28th!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jski1911
    Did anyone happen to get a GPS profile of the course, that they could post for all to see?
    I don't have (or want!) that type of gear. But I'd guess there is 2600-2800 ft of climbing. After you reach the top at around mile 12 there is 1 more short but significant climb at about mile 18-19. On Saturday it was very loose, rocky and steep. My rear wheel spun out and I had to push. The whole climb takes less than 5 minutes, but its significant because its steep and its toward the end where people will be fatigued.

Edit: I'm heading up there again tomorrow, weather permitting. I'll try to remember my camera and take a few pics of what might be some really nasty mud! Having said that, there are only a couple of short sections that contain sticky, gooey mud. The rest of the course drains well and was in excellent shape on Saturday. I also noted that the course dries quickly, as we returned to the start the trails were noticeably drier than on the way out.
    Last edited by LemurianGuy; 10-16-2007 at 03:05 PM.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Where the heck are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    I don't have (or want!) that type of gear. But I'd guess there is 2600-2800 ft of climbing. After you reach the top at around mile 12 there is 1 more short but significant climb at about mile 18-19. On Saturday it was very loose, rocky and steep. My rear wheel spun out and I had to push. The whole climb takes less than 5 minutes, but its significant because its steep and its toward the end where people will be fatigued.

Edit: I'm heading up there again tomorrow, weather permitting. I'll try to remember my camera and take a few pics of what might be some really nasty mud! Having said that, there are only a couple of short sections that contain sticky, gooey mud. The rest of the course drains well and was in excellent shape on Saturday. I also noted that the course dries quickly, as we returned to the start the trails were noticeably drier than on the way out.
    For the life of me I can't figure out where you are talking about. The part that is in 18-19 miles that is short and loose.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    you must of took the wrong turn.if your riding the trail towards weaverville the flow of the trail is to the left on the fire road but we climb to the right, steep and loose hard to ride then you top out on that trail and you rolldown to jackass ridge trail

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    For the life of me I can't figure out where you are talking about. The part that is in 18-19 miles that is short and loose.
    Nate the course is a little different than last year. There is a detour off Jackass Ridge trail to the left on the way out. It goes up some, then down and back onto Jackass ridge. We come back the same way, so its a right hand detour in the rolling section with the water bars.

Can you join Steve & I for a preride tomorrow? Leaving Steve's at 7:30 er 7:15 for you!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Gotta work

Nate the course is a little different than last year. There is a detour off Jackass Ridge trail to the left on the way out. It goes up some, then down and back onto Jackass ridge. We come back the same way, so its a right hand detour in the rolling section with the water bars.

Can you join Steve & I for a preride tomorrow? Leaving Steve's at 7:30 er 7:15 for you!
    Bummer

mtbr member

Um...

[QUOTE=LemurianGuy]Nate the course is a little different than last year. There is a detour off Jackass Ridge trail to the left on the way out. "

There's nothing new on JackAss Ridge. The only difference this year from last is that the first singletrack will be the one higher up (the one that was buried in fallen trees last year). Which is good cuz it gives the charging pack an extra mile of climbing fireroad before getting funneled into singletrack.

I think I know which trail you're thinking of to the right of JackAss ridge. That one is not on the USFS trail inventory.

Bigfoot

[QUOTE=Bigfoot]
    Nate the course is a little different than last year. There is a detour off Jackass Ridge trail to the left on the way out. "

There's nothing new on JackAss Ridge. The only difference this year from last is that the first singletrack will be the one higher up (the one that was buried in fallen trees last year). Which is good cuz it gives the charging pack an extra mile of climbing fireroad before getting funneled into singletrack.

I think I know which trail you're thinking of to the right of JackAss ridge. That one is not on the USFS trail inventory.

Bigfoot
    That's great news, the extra climb on the way out wasn't bad, but it was pretty tough coming back. I think we followed the map from the Bigfoot website, on the way out we went left and up a pretty steep hill at marker #17. Last year's course took the right hand fork which I think is the Jackass Ridge. If the course is the same as last year, we went the wrong way, and I think the map is off a bit.

Great call on adding that first singletrack back in. That's a really fun trail!
    Last edited by LemurianGuy; 10-16-2007 at 07:51 PM.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    Thinking about heading up but what's the DH course like??
    PipeHittersUnion

e.thirteen,EVOMO,IntenseCycles,Maxxis,ODI,SDG,661

190lbs of climber
    Quote Originally Posted by J_B
    The first two sections is rutted steep loose on-your-brakes-the-whole-way-down, with a few jumps and one gap (with bypass). Then you go into a quick fireroad downhill, followed by about a mile of fast pedaling singletrack. As a whole, think Downieville DH, but compressed into 7-10 minutes, so it's actually a full-effort DH. Pretty epic if you ask me.
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member

What Menso said...

Quote Originally Posted by J_B
    DOWNHILL COURSE: The start is way up WeaverBolly road at 5600' & the finish is next to East Weaver Campground at 2800'..It's along one, it takes a pro about 7.5 minutes to do the 3.2 miles. There are some super-steep chutes up top, some cool jumps and drops, high-speed sweepers, a creek jump and some twisty singletrack near the end.

Go here for a course map: http://www.teambigfoot.net/LaGrangeDownhillMap.htm

XC Course Report Wed am

After a night of rain I wasn't sure what to expect. As we left Redding and headed west to Weaverville we could see clouds hanging low over the hills. We hit a few showers near the top of Buckhorn Summit, but on whole the drive was pretty dry. The Weaverville Basin was mostly cloudly with some breaks in the clouds, temps in the low 50's at the bottom and maybe lower 40's near the top. The dirt was nice and tacky, a little muddy with a few small puddles, but all in all very rideable.We stopped at the high point of the course for photos of Weaverville and Gator's memorial.

Gator was apparantly a very well liked local logger who was killed in an auto accident at this spot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Another pic from Gator's memorial, not sure how the skulls figure into it!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Are you saying the course goes directly from 17-->18 and not 17-->19-->18? It shows that steep climb on both the XC and the Super D maps.

mtbr member

Right...

17 to 18...

That's what happens when you create a course map from memory, sitting at your desk 100 miles from the actual course.

Just finished marking the Beginner course. It's wet out there but except for a few avoidable holes, it's not muddy, just wet.

Time for a quick lunch then I'll head back out & finish marking the lower sections of the Sport/Expert course and the Super-D.

Bigfoot

I'm confused also Tim.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Vic, what about the section right outside the high school? The part leading to that steep little downhill. Will we be using that? If so, what's it like?
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

rj2
    mtbr member
    Tim,

We met last year during a pre-ride at the final Big Bear Race. I was riding an NRS1 with a Spinner fork. So, do you think many pros will show from SoCal?

Richard
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

check in

Help...Where is the "check-in" for the races this weekend? We are new to the Weaverville area and I cant find anything on the web that says where to go for check in at the races. I guess we will go to the start line and figure it out from there. I looks like Nate will be doing Super-D, X-Country, Downhill and Short track. (junior-x)

- Menso, to bad your not going, Nate got a new Super-D rig he wants to show off. Good luck in Chico.

Cheers,
    Pat
    ...aka - N8's Dad

mtbr member

XC checks in at the high school

I don't know about the other races but the check in for the XC is at the high school on the North side of town. Just continue through town and just before you head up the hill going out of town you will see the high school on the right. I can't imagine the check in being elsewhere for Super D and DH.
    Good Luck !
    Speaking as a completely objective, third party outsider with absolutely no personal interest in the matter...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It has been raining since thursday noon in redding/wvvl. It will be extremely wet and cold.

I was at about 5000' wed and there was snow. I am sure it has moved up.

Here is the story on Gator. He was a personal friend of mine and was my father in laws best friend for 40 + years. Gator house is about 200 yards east of that memorial.

Gator was hunting that day and was driving musser hill road home. The wood gates near that place lead to his property. what really happened is speculation of course, but this is what I think.

He was looking over the side of the hill for deer, when his tires got too close to the edge, he was unable to get the vehicle back on the road and it rolled down the embankment. He was found sitting next to his truck dead of massive internal injuries. He may have had a heart attack that caused him to lose control of his vehicle. We will never know.
    Gator was a logger, a hunter and a family man. He was a great person and just a down home type of guy. He moved to weaverville as a young boy from louisiana, hence the nickname Gator. He died doing what he loved to do, he died on his mountain.
    So when you go by say hi to Gator for me, just tell him casey said hi.

I doubt anyone is heartless enough to mess with the memorial, but if you see anyone doing it, tell them the story.

To me the skull looks like an alligator skull.

RIP Gator.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I don't know who else is coming from anywhere but Chico. I'm sure some people will be there since it's the state championship, but I haven't really talked with anyone other than the people I ride with. Jenkins and Helbock are the most likely to travel a long distance, and then from NorCal I guess we'll see. I know that myself, Mike Andres, and Aren Timmel will be up there. In the semipros I know Nigel Hill, Tom Sharp, Jim Hewitt, and some others will be there. There will be some pro and semi pro downhillers for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEKEDAWG
    It has been raining since thursday noon in redding/wvvl. It will be extremely wet and cold.

I was at about 5000' wed and there was snow. I am sure it has moved up.

Here is the story on Gator. He was a personal friend of mine and was my father in laws best friend for 40 + years. Gator house is about 200 yards east of that memorial.

Gator was hunting that day and was driving musser hill road home. The wood gates near that place lead to his property. what really happened is speculation of course, but this is what I think.

He was looking over the side of the hill for deer, when his tires got too close to the edge, he was unable to get the vehicle back on the road and it rolled down the embankment. He was found sitting next to his truck dead of massive internal injuries. He may have had a heart attack that caused him to lose control of his vehicle. We will never know.
    Gator was a logger, a hunter and a family man. He was a great person and just a down home type of guy. He moved to weaverville as a young boy from louisiana, hence the nickname Gator. He died doing what he loved to do, he died on his mountain.
    So when you go by say hi to Gator for me, just tell him casey said hi.

I doubt anyone is heartless enough to mess with the memorial, but if you see anyone doing it, tell them the story.

To me the skull looks like an alligator skull.

RIP Gator.
    Thanks for the background, everytime I've ridden past I've stopped and wondered what the story is. Now I know.

RIP Gator
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member

XC and DH check in are at the high school...

...but today's Super-D is past the high school. You'll see a sign at the stop sign below the school "SUPER-D 1/2 MILE." Head up the dirt road and look for bunch of fools in the rain on the left.

Bigfoot

Quote Originally Posted by TX MTB
    Help...Where is the "check-in" for the races this weekend? We are new to the Weaverville area and I cant find anything on the web that says where to go for check in at the races. I guess we will go to the start line and figure it out from there. I looks like Nate will be doing Super-D, X-Country, Downhill and Short track. (junior-x)

- Menso, to bad your not going, Nate got a new Super-D rig he wants to show off. Good luck in Chico.

Cheers,
    Pat
    ...aka - N8's Dad

mtbr member

Weaverville was sick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2