mtbr member

Anyone have intel on Prescott, AZ?

Hey all, I'm currently in Prescott for work and looking for rides. I've found trails from Trailforks and other online resources, as well as going into the LBS, and trying on the Arizona forum. But everything and everyone is pointing me to the mapped mellow rides. It's all good but my Nomad doesn't excel on mellow rolling trails. Anyone know any trails that might make my bike happy? Feel free to PM. I'll gladly trade secrets for trails in SLO (PM of course)! I've had some good one's so far... just mellow.
    Anyone have intel on Prescott, AZ?-img_0339.jpg
    Anyone have intel on Prescott, AZ?-img_0341.jpg
    Anyone have intel on Prescott, AZ?-img_0345.jpg

NedwannaB
    Page Jayem.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The downhill from the Overlook is fun. Check out the Whiskey 30 course for a nice intro to the area.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Granite Mountain Hot Shots Memorial

Although it's not a Mtn Bike ride, I suggest you take Highway 89 over to Yarnell and visit the recently opened Granite Mountain Hot Shots Memorial Park. This park honors the lives of the 19 firefighters who died on June 30th, 2013 while fighting the Yarnell Hill Fire.

You may not be a firefighter and feel the weight of the loss of fellow brothers but as a citizen, hiking the 3.5 mile trail will be a somber experience and come to realize the sacrifice of wildland firefighters (and all firefighters) make everyday to keep us safe.

Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 144
Size:  11.2 KB
    Anybody can ski the groomed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmon4day View Post
    Although it's not a Mtn Bike ride, I suggest you take Highway 89 over to Yarnell and visit the recently opened Granite Mountain Hot Shots Memorial Park. This park honors the lives of the 19 firefighters who died on June 30th, 2013 while fighting the Yarnell Hill Fire.

You may not be a firefighter and feel the weight of the loss of fellow brothers but as a citizen, hiking the 3.5 mile trail will be a somber experience and come to realize the sacrifice of wildland firefighters (and all firefighters) make everyday to keep us safe.

Funny you mention that. I stopped on my way in as I'm here for the Arizona Wildfire Academy. I'm not a fire fighter but I work in the industry and have quite a few family members and friends who are. I had no idea the amount of respect fire fighters should be getting until I started working in the industry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmon4day View Post

Thanks for posting this.
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Overall, Prescott is known for being mellower than it's rowdy neighbor....Sedona. I suggest you go over to the PMBA Facebook Page and ask there. There have a Thursday night men's ride plus on the weekend, they have a go fast group as well as an 8-80 ride. Based on the some of the photos posted on their page, they is some decent gnar to be had. I've personally only ridden there once and did the 396 Trail over by Goldwater Lake. It wasn't challenging but it was a fun warm up ride for our Sedona trip that was gnar, gnar, gnar.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2014 Pivot Mach 6
    2011 Niner Air 9 (de facto road bike)

mtbr member
    I ride there a couple of times a year on roadtrips and have found it all very XC as in perfect for a 29er hardtail and would be a real drag on a Nomad. For trialsy kind of stuff there is Constellation and the couple of other places I can't remember the names of but are easily id'd. It would be a miracle if you found the flow on them in the time you have without a guide though. PMBA on Facebook is indeed super friendly and responsive and I bet you could find one. And Sedona's not far. And on a Nomad you might really like South Mountain in Phoenix if you have time and can get there on a weekday.

mtbr member
    If you want better descents you may need to find some trails on Mingus Mtn. Of course, you'll need to find a shuttle driver too. Of course Mingus may be under snow as well right now. As was said, Prescott is mostly xc riding with very few trails that descend without some climbing involved.