mtbr member

Anyone got a good map of the Gateway Trail?

I just got back from my month of tele and mtb in Mt. Shasta City. Enough time in a 20 ft trailer in a KOA full of oil tanker sized RVs!

The gateway trail has been further extended to the forest road leading to the tunnel trail. It has matured a bit and is just a bit rockier, but is a very very good trail for climbing and for really fast returns. It also connects with the older lower downhill trails like Marley and Tunnel. What a great addition to volcano land! The Entertainer is snowed in above 8 mile. Marley is "Closed for Rehabilitation." Boo hiss!

I haven't been able to find any good map of the Shasta trails. The Fifth Season has some maps but they are a blurry photocopy and out of date. I'm trying to get a map from the Shasta Trinity forest even if it is just from the planning documents.

I'd highly recommend the Gateway to anyone traveling on I-5 through northern California. Go up the Everitt Memorial Highway past the high school, over the tracks, and past the houses. There is a small parking lot on the right side (east) just past the last houses. Prepare to fall in love!

Another bit of news: The Rails to Trails Conservancy is kicking off trail building on the old railway from McCloud to Burney. It will be 80 miles of trail in the National forest and timber company land east of Mt. Shasta. Like the Biz Johnson trail, it won't be hot mtb stuff, but, like the Biz, will be a super experience.

I had a few days of frozen survival skiing, but I also had about 12 days of superstar corn below 10,000ft. I tele'ed good enough for a Warren Miller film! But, being a Warren Miller film, they'd put a comic soundtrack on the tele stuff! Awesome skiing. Especially a solo trip from 2 miles short of the Northgate trailhead to 10K ft; no people tracks. Only rabbit, coyote, bear (about 2 hours old), and cat tracks the size of a coffee saucer!

mtbr member

Anyone got a good map of the Gateway Trail?

Sounds like a good trip. Thanks for the trail updates.