mtbr member

Anyone familiar with camping/trails around Mt Lola or White Rock Lake

Myself and a buddy were hoping to make it up to North* sometime in the near future, but we were also hoping to partake in some primitive backwoods camping and trail riding. I've done some research, and it appears that White Rock Lake is way off the beaten path- exactly what we're looking for. I've also noticed there's a mtb legal trail that runs to the top of Mt Lola in the area. I'm wondering if any of you have any experience camping or riding in this area. Any other trails or sweet granite slickrock in the area that we should check out?

Thanks~

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss
    Myself and a buddy were hoping to make it up to North* sometime in the near future, but we were also hoping to partake in some primitive backwoods camping and trail riding. I've done some research, and it appears that White Rock Lake is way off the beaten path- exactly what we're looking for. I've also noticed there's a mtb legal trail that runs to the top of Mt Lola in the area. I'm wondering if any of you have any experience camping or riding in this area. Any other trails or sweet granite slickrock in the area that we should check out?

Thanks~
    White Rock Lake is way back there but it's very nice and you can drive to it so don't expect a wilderness like experience on weekends...quads and motos on the roads and other campers. To get to the Lola trail don't take the road on the north side of the lake, instead, cross the dam at the southwest corner and look for the trail about 50 ft past. Fantastic, primitive, technical trail for the first 3 miles, the last 1/2 mile to the peak is a really difficult hike-a-bike, loose granite rocks straight up the fall line. View is from Heavenly to Lassen on a clear day. Trail continues down the other side(possible snow banks) and is a great 5 mile descent (1/4 mile fire road in the middle). Expect 4+ hours to do the entire trail out and back. If you are riding N* capable bikes you will hike...a lot.
    Romani ite domum

go fast, pull up
    Check out this link for some good info on Mt. Lola.

http://greatbasinbicycles.com/

It's got maps and ride write ups, including a story about a ride not to try in that area. He tried to connect some stuff out there and ended up spending the night and needing search and rescue.