Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Obi
    mtbr member

New question here. Anyone else having...

Don't know if this is technically O/T, so I'm gonna post this here and ask anyhow.

Anyone else having worse allergy symptoms this season, versus last season?? There seems to be so much more pollen and dust, my eyes are irritated right now, and I'm inside typing!!

I've been suffering for the last two weeks. Sinus pressure, headache, fatigue, etc. My head feels like jello, been punched in the nose. Been trying Sudafed, Benadryl, decongestant (left over from when I had the Flu), and nothing seems to really help solve this. -

I'll sleep OK, but once I get up , and goto work, it all hits again. I know this was talked about last year, but for the life of me cannot remember the name of the over-the-counter stuff that Walgreens had that really worked.

Suggestions?? (I can't get to a hot shower to steam out during the day.)

Thanks Everyone.

Obi..

190lbs of climber
    yes, much worse. As in 3 hour asthma attacks
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    Claritin seems to do the trick for me. My wife has some serious allergies and her doctor told her to start taking medicine at the first sign of pollen and go until things start to die off later in the spring. I tried it this year, and so far I am much better than last year.

I will probably keep taking the claratin through this week, then out of town through Memorial day and I figure by then things should quiet down a little bit.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Handy guide to allergies:

Antihistamines (benadryl, claritin, zyrtec, allegra etc). Prevent release of histamine (itchy eyes, runny nose, and sneezing). 1st line of defense.

Decongestants (sudafed, pseudoephedrine, etc - including all the ones they hide behind th ecounter now) - Works to shrink swollen mucous membranes that have been irritated by allergens and histamine. Helps promote drainage of subclinical sinusitis, which can lead to acute or shronic sinus infections as well as bronchial lyperreacitivity and bronchitis.

Nasal steroids: flonase, nasonex, etc. Even more powerful prevention for allergen irritation of the nasal / respiratory passages. Must use daily.

Beta-agonists/asthma medicine (albuterol/long acting salmeterol): works to open irritated bronchial passages that have been aggravated by allergens/histamine/post nasal drainage

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &

Allergies can be conquered. Most people who have persistant allergies don't take their medicines daily, and then claim they don't work. The reality is, you can control them but you have to stay on top of them and use the preventative medicines. Daily. And get rid of the dust, clean weekly, stay away from the down pillows and crop dusters.

(This is a pet peeve of mine, I see way too many who don't take their medicine and then end up in office or ER.. Ok I will get off my soapbox, thanks)
    Love, Impy

Flo.

What's the remedy for...

Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    Handy guide yadadadyadadadyadadad soapbox, thanks)
    ...these huge boogers??? I root 'em out, but they just keep coming back, even bigger than before!!

fp

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    Anyone else having worse allergy symptoms this season, versus last season?? There seems to be so much more pollen and dust, my eyes are irritated right now, and I'm inside typing!!...
    Yeah!! Much worse this year! My eyes have been itching/watering profusely for about 2 weeks now off and on.

I take flonase for the nasal/sinus relief but can't take decongestants because they raise my blood pressure. I was hoping that the flonase would be enough but it looks like I'm going to have to resort to some non-D claritin in addition.

I didn't need to add anything to the Flonase last year.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    ...these huge boogers??? I root 'em out, but they just keep coming back, even bigger than before!!

fp
    I think it's all in relation to the size of the booger incubator.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Track Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    Claritin seems to do the trick for me.
    I second the Claritin. I take one every morning (24hr pills, not the crappy-huge 12hr pills). I also take a Benedryl before I go to bed.

Buy the Claritin at WalMart. I found a 40-pack for $18 there. Longs is usually $25 for a 30-pack.

-B
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

pewpewpew Moderator

fp
    Well i was eating mac and cheese for dinner up until this point. Gah.
    Love, Impy

Slowest Rider

My Eyes!!

At the thought of F.P.'s medical condition. He needs forceps, big long pointy ones with a firm grip, I say.

My eyes burn like they've been scraped down with sandpaper for about a day or more after each ride. I can barely open them after an 8 hour ride. I thought it was dust, but it''s only been happening recently so it must be allergens.

I oddly don't have nasal issues though, probably because my nose is constantly running all year anyway, before stuff dries up to make the big ones FP describes tooooo well.

So what medicines help scratchy irritated eyes?
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Flo.

Does it feel like...

Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    ...THIS???!?!??!?!?!?!

I'm gonna go out & mow the lawn. Wish me luck.

fp

Weird huh?

Feh!

Ha Ha Ha, I'm using the medisines......

I'm one of the lucky ones. As a child of the 70's, Mommy Dearest continually delivered me to the doktors for the series of allergy injections. Nothing like 40 injections up each arm and down your back when they ran outta room.

Musta worked. To this day I laugh at pollen. I see folks just miserable around me this time of year.

On a related note: someone mentioned Albuterol. Albuterol is effective for asthma attacks in most people. What I don't like to see are the words allergies/asthma used concurrently. Allergies are a condition, asthma is a disease. They are not the same in any way. Way too many doctors peddle out the Albuterol for irritated bronchial passages related to allergies. Pollen is tearing you up and breathing is congested, so the doctor gives you Albuterol. I know 2 people who pretty much live on Albuterol during the pollen season. It's treating the symptom, and not the cause. Evidence suggests that asthma may develop later in life, but that's not the norm. Most folks who actually have asthma found out about it when their parents rushed them to the ER because they'd turned blue.
    Albuterol's effectiveness is lessened with long term or continual use. It takes more and more for the same effect.
    Anyway, the point of my triade is that if you need Albuterol for allergies, use it. Be careful to do everything else first, including sealing windows, filtering air, putting down solid flooring, using synthetic bedding......etc. Allergies are a life altering menace certain parts of the year.
    Asthma kills.

Cheers
    Poaching Demo...that's why we can't have nice things...

Slowest Rider

Good job! Yep, feels just like that.

...THIS???!?!??!?!?!?!

fp
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not out MOWING THE LAWN!!!!!!!!!
    Just think of the big one's you'll have to extract!

You should do something safer like MTB, with 14' freeride jumps.
    Or just stick to home knee surgery.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Obi
    mtbr member

Idea! Probably should've elaborated huh?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Especially:
    Impy for the techy version.
    Finch Platte for the sick imaginary visuals.

Here's the deal: Got bronchitis while in Hawaii.(September)
    Got Sinus Infection recently.
    Athsma seems to be still in remission, but definitely feel the acute affects more.

I tried Chlorpheniramine Maleate, which is the generic term for Chlor-Trimetron. It worked after two pills, and a couple of asprin, to kill off my headache. Today, I slept/rested in, but I'm feeling queasy, with all those affects. I'm gonna take the bottle with me, and follow your suggestions, hopefully get past all of this. It's just a big pain(literally), as I didn't have these issues until I was in my thirties(excluding the Athsma as a kid/teen.) Guess I'm just "feeling old".

SO, guess since I am feeling a bit better the Monday ride's on for the Stanford Crew.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle

On a related note: someone mentioned Albuterol. Albuterol is effective for asthma attacks in most people. What I don't like to see are the words allergies/asthma used concurrently. Allergies are a condition, asthma is a disease. They are not the same in any way. Way too many doctors peddle out the Albuterol for irritated bronchial passages related to allergies. Pollen is tearing you up and breathing is congested, so the doctor gives you Albuterol. I know 2 people who pretty much live on Albuterol during the pollen season. It's treating the symptom, and not the cause. Evidence suggests that asthma may develop later in life, but that's not the norm. Most folks who actually have asthma found out about it when their parents rushed them to the ER because they'd turned blue.
    Albuterol's effectiveness is lessened with long term or continual use. It takes more and more for the same effect.
    Anyway, the point of my triade is that if you need Albuterol for allergies, use it. Be careful to do everything else first, including sealing windows, filtering air, putting down solid flooring, using synthetic bedding......etc. Allergies are a life altering menace certain parts of the year.
    Asthma kills.

Cheers
    Albuterol is a bronchodialator. It works for any kind of reversible bronchoconstriction, whether it be inflammation from reactive airway disease AS A RESULT OF ALLERGIES, intrinsic asthma, or extrinsic asthma. You do not become attenuated to albuterol, but if your asthma or allergies are NOT controlled then it will not be as effective because everything is too inflamed.

Everyone's a MD on the internet.
    Love, Impy

Weird huh?

A bronchodialator.....absolutely

Okay, rogue, and not the pink cosmetics. Sorry.
    Last edited by cmdrpiffle; 05-14-2006 at 10:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Also known as an amphetamine. A strong one at that. Quoting attenuating statistics is as useless as arguing on the internet... Unless you've had to use it to breathe. Not because you're 'constricted', but because your capacity to transfer oxygen had stopped.

Real difference.

Your advice is 'rouge' at best

Cheers
    Feel good to be so ignorantly confident?

Flo.

Oh, God.

Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    Well i was eating mac and cheese for dinner up until this point. Gah.
    Mac & cheese?? Hey, I'm tryin' to pick my nose, here. Way to gross a guy out.

fp

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Your advice is 'rouge' at best
    Huh? Her advice is a pink cosmetic?

(Oh, back to the OT.... I'm not allegic to anything (hah!) but my wife has been hating the past few days. She tried Claratin this morning and it seems to work better than the normal stuff.)
    Don't harsh my mello

Weird huh?

Yep,

Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    Feel good to be so ignorantly confident?
    Been there all my life. Diagnosed at 5. Kept it under control for 12 years while I raced. It's come back with a vengence. At least I'm not allergic to anything.

Master of '80s BMX tricks

If you do indeed feel as bad as a Scorpions Album...

...THIS???!?!??!?!?!?!

fp
    If you do indeed feel as bad as a Scorpions album i think your gonna need something much stronger than just antihistamines.

I don't think i've ever felt worse than a mid-'90's Aerosmith album but that was before the operation.

Too Much Fun

Yes... This season is BAD...

Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    Don't know if this is technically O/T, so I'm gonna post this here and ask anyhow.

Anyone else having worse allergy symptoms this season, versus last season?? There seems to be so much more pollen and dust, my eyes are irritated right now, and I'm inside typing!!
    From what I've heard the grasses are the culprit this season, most likely due to the torrential rains of March/April. I've been getting the violent sneezing/running nose/running eyes bit but it only lasts for an hour or two so I'm just riding it out.

Claratin works but I stay away from it if possible. The Claratin "D" shitt fuks me up though. It makes me feel like a human hovercraft and I try to stay away from driving forklifts when on that stuff...
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    As an allergy sufferer for life I fully second what Impy wrote up earlier. Most days for me it is the Claritin-D combo with Flonase. Funny thing is I got poison oak pretty bad a week ago and had to go to the doc for it. To clear it up they perscribed a steroid called Prednisone which has done a great job on the Poison Oak, but as a bonus side affect has erradicated any allergy symptom for the last week that i've been on the stuff. Unfortunatly I took my last dose today and I heard it's got some nasty long term side affects so they don't keep you on it too long. Oh well, just thankful for the short term relief but i'll deal with sneezing before my nuts shrink up and I get all aggro mood swingy on the roids.

Master of '80s BMX tricks

prednisone

Quote Originally Posted by Fillmoe Slim
    As an allergy sufferer for life I fully second what Impy wrote up earlier. Most days for me it is the Claritin-D combo with Flonase. Funny thing is I got poison oak pretty bad a week ago and had to go to the doc for it. To clear it up they perscribed a steroid called Prednisone which has done a great job on the Poison Oak, but as a bonus side affect has erradicated any allergy symptom for the last week that i've been on the stuff. Unfortunatly I took my last dose today and I heard it's got some nasty long term side affects so they don't keep you on it too long. Oh well, just thankful for the short term relief but i'll deal with sneezing before my nuts shrink up and I get all aggro mood swingy on the roids.
    prednisone basically shuts your imune system off. this works against poison oak because the effect of the poison oak oil is basically an alergic reaction but almost everyone is alergic to it. that's why your alergies go away too. it's also a steroid so you get all the benefits of steroids too (better endurance and muscle growth along with a being a little edgy)
    i suffer from ecxema which is like having poison Oak, in spots, all the time. So to me getting a case of poison oak is shear HELL without prednisone.

Not a Scorpoins Album hell more like a Scorpions tribute band hell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    For itchy eyes, I use Similasan "Allergy Eyes".
    Available at Safeway, Raleys, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast