Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    SOG
    mtbr member

Anyone else go from squish to hard?

I was wondering if anyone from the norcal scene has switched from a squisher to a hardtail. I mostly have been dirt jumping a hardtail for the past 15 years or so but rode dh as well. About a year and half ago I purchased a carbon 29er for trail riding because I became bored with dh. I have to say it has been fun riding a ht again and it seems to work really well for most places I ride(i.e. skeggs, waterdog, monte bello, demo- ridge sawpit). I also like the limited maintenance and my overall conditioning is so much better. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This full suspension technology... not familiar...

Dropshot Champ!
    I finally made the 29er ht jump for last years race season. I probably wouldn't pick it for demo, but for everything local to me, it fits the bill. I was late on the wagon wheel bandwagon, but I can see the positives now. More and more, I find myself grabbing the ht. There are still trails that are fun on the squish bike though.

My squish bike is also 10lbs heavier, so that probably doesn't help.

PRETENDURO
    Iíve been riding fully rigid for quite some time. I do have a race bike with a suspension fork in the front though.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    I'm primarily riding a HT 29er, and I like the fact that it's less clunky and noisy and heavy and sluggish than my FS. So, I'm in your camp.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    In my stable: a hardtail with 140mm fork, 150/140mm full sus trail bike, and my rigid 'retro' bike. (all 26" cuz I'm a short guy, I fit small wheels better)

Horses for courses... they're all fun bikes, it just depends on what terrain I'm riding and the mood I'm in.
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

is down to roll...
    I gave up my big bike (Intense SS), and only ride my hardtail DJ (Blkmkt Mob), as I could not justify a big freeride bike that I hardly rode. Now I only have one bike that I hardly ride.

NedwannaB

PluSS

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I'm primarily riding a HT 29er, and I like the fact that it's less clunky and noisy and heavy and sluggish than my FS. So, I'm in your camp.
    It helpSS it'SS a SStealthy SSpecialized SS maSSheen!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    My squish is a carbon dream build imo and I couldn't be happier with it. Being that it is an xc race build it is not clunky at all. That is unless I go out with my 29er climbing freak friends They are in better condition but when the pull away on the long fire road type climbs I see the ht 29 advantage. I would like to get a hardtail 29er for racing and keep the squish for the fun rides.

Weird huh?
    Fully rigid, all the time, front and back. Mt. bike and the cross bike both.
    Poaching Demo...that's why we can't have nice things...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I go soft to rigid at least 3 times a day

mtbr member
    I have a 2010 Trance X which has served me well.
    Then this November, I got a Salsa Mukluk 3 Fat Bike. It's full rigid.
    I haven't ridden the squish since.
    I ride on rock, sand, mud and snow and you can't rip the smile off my face.
    I'm about 10% slower but I usually ride alone anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone else go from squish to hard?-img_2779.jpg  

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SOG View Post
    I was wondering if anyone from the norcal scene has switched from a squisher to a hardtail. I mostly have been dirt jumping a hardtail for the past 15 years or so but rode dh as well. About a year and half ago I purchased a carbon 29er for trail riding because I became bored with dh. I have to say it has been fun riding a ht again and it seems to work really well for most places I ride(i.e. skeggs, waterdog, monte bello, demo- ridge sawpit). I also like the limited maintenance and my overall conditioning is so much better. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.
    I built up a fun, 29er hardtail and I have stopped riding my bouncy bikes. I love this thing, and ride it almost exclusively. It does great on downhills, and I can "shuttle myself" back up, because it climbs really well.

Morgan

Beaubien
    Aug 2006

Misleading title?

I thought this post was about something's else. I was hoping it was about hot women mountain bikers. That can change me from squish to hard! I'm just saying!
    Will Beaubien
    Will@Beaubien.com
    415-218-7936

bike wisperer
    I tried shoes. Found them way to confining. Now I only ride barefoot and wow, I forgot how great it is to really feel the trail while riding in bare feet. Some of my riding partners agree about the disadvantage of shoes but didn't feel they could make the complete jump to riding barefoot. Instead they ride in their stocking feet. I guess they don't understand the purity of riding skin to pedal.

I definitely don't see the need for all that suspension nonsense. Next thing you know, people will want pneumatic tires and such.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I have two hardtails (~20lb with 100mm fork, and ~26lb SS with 150mm fork) and two (assembled) full suspension mtbs (at 26lb 120mm both ends, and some 30+ at 170mm both ends), and alternate between them about equally. Mostly for a change of pace. About an equal amount of fun each. None makes me fast up or down. For a short ride I usually get the TransAm single speed, with some large tires...

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubien View Post
    I thought this post was about something's else.
    That's what she thought.

mtbr member
    Just recently built up an AM hardtail and had so much fun on the first ride that im thinkin the squishy isnt going to see much use. Beginning to be of the mind set that simpler is better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I had a 6 six trail bike but I found it heavy, inefficient and flex. I also was tired of squeaks and creaks. I just finished building a steel 29er hard tail. For a daily driver bike, a hardtail just makes sense.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

swag ho Administrator
    rigid alllll the way!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone else go from squish to hard?-img_3717-001.jpg  

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    rigid alllll the way!
    Where is it spring/summer right now? That is NOT a wintertime shot!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Went back to a hardtail 2+ years ago, down the lightweight carbon 29er rabbithole. My FS bike has been hooked to the trailer for hauling tools ever since. I guess I occasionally miss the squish bike, but never enough to take it off the wall. I have a heckuva lot of fun on my hardtail. Quick, direct, light, descends just as fast as the squish bike, just have to lay off the occasional big drop so save the 1450 G wheelset...

Team Chilidog!
    I have three bikes: a hardtail DJ, an 160mm AM bike and a 9" downhill bike (all 26" wheels).

Love them all. Lately though, my DJ adds fun to otherwise boring trails and I'm finding newly found fun at the BMX track.

Funny thing is, the DJ is making me firm up my suspension on my AM bike. Definitely liking the firmer feel.

A few years ago I tried to go to riding a hardtail all the time, but my body can't handle it. Too much abuse for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    SOG,
    I have been all over the map with FS bikes over the years . I built up a SC tallboy ltc in September , it was a sweet looking bike with an exceptional build . All top of the line parts, enve wheelset , xo , etc. It was fun to ride but I felt like I was getting somewhat bored of riding this type of bike so I sold it and built up two bikes . The first is a Transition Transam 29 , set up 1x10 . The second is a Soma juice rigid SS , I honestly can say I have not had as much fun on a bike in years since going HT and rigid . I have some friends who think I am nuts but I honestly don't care what people think as much as the fun factor and pure enjoyment of riding again ! Get out and ride whatever your taste .

Scab

SOG
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scabbyass View Post
    SOG,
    I have been all over the map with FS bikes over the years . I built up a SC tallboy ltc in September , it was a sweet looking bike with an exceptional build . All top of the line parts, enve wheelset , xo , etc. It was fun to ride but I felt like I was getting somewhat bored of riding this type of bike so I sold it and built up two bikes . The first is a Transition Transam 29 , set up 1x10 . The second is a Soma juice rigid SS , I honestly can say I have not had as much fun on a bike in years since going HT and rigid . I have some friends who think I am nuts but I honestly don't care what people think as much as the fun factor and pure enjoyment of riding again ! Get out and ride whatever your taste .

Scab
    I love all the responses and I feel the same way. I'm all for riding whatever gets you there but I'm loving trail riding on the ht and the simplicity. I must admit my dj 26in wheel gets the most abuse with coffee cross, dirt jumping and bmxing with my kids but I wouldn't change a thing. Happy trails and thanks for all the great responses. It's always nice to know you're not alone.

Get some

mtbr member
    I've only ever owned and ridden hardtail and rigid. I'd love to add full squish to my collection but having a hard time justifying the cost when I doubt I could ever fully put it to good use.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast