Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I recently got contact lenses (monthly disposable ones) in the past year and I too had this worry but I just ride with my sunglasses everytime. I was worried about it too falling out due to the wind drying out my eye and dust getting in there and agitated my eye.

I have a really high prescription (+8) so my options for good looking sunglasses equated to 0 so I was stuck with stupid looking ones with thick/heavy lenses that always seemed too small to block out sun coming from top/sides.

Now I got a pair of Oakley's that I love and the G30 lens is amazing!

In a couple years I will put money away in a FSA and do lasik but for now, I'm fine with my current situation
    Berkeley Bicycle Club (BBC) - http://berkeleybike.org

mtbr member
    I wear the daily disposable contacts for biking, surfing and martial arts. Never had a problem. It's good to start with fresh lenses each day. I keep a pair of glasses in the car just in case.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Snowboard with contacts and goggles but I MTN bike with prescription Oakley sunglasses. The persimmon lens is great for the Norcal singletrack.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by RDI View Post
    Might need to get some - wasn't sure if riding would result in the lense slipping, becoming dislodged, slicing your optic nerve, etc.

Thanks!!
    You really don't have to worry about the optic nerve with contacts since they sit on the cornea and no where near it Scratching your cornea is possible, but that's with or without contacts. Do you know if you're getting hard or soft lenses?

Rode with soft contacts for 15 years before getting Lasik.
    Skied with soft contacts for the 6 years I *tried* to ski. Gave up attempting skiing before Lasik.

Skiing: Wear goggles. Keeps your eyes from drying out. Bring rewetting drops.
    MTBing: Wear sunglasses or clear protective lenses (Oakley and Rudy Project and Smith all have these). Even if I'm riding in the evening, I ride with clear lenses. Bring rewetting drops.

Even before I had Lasik, dry eye was a problem for me, so I've always been in the habit of carrying rewetting drops for me (different type now that I don't wear contacts). In a couple of weeks, I'm getting tear duct blockers (they block part of your ducts not all of them so you're eyes don't drain as much).
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Never had a problem riding with mine in!

Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Anyone else just wear one? I'm nearsighted, so I wear a soft lens in the left eye and nada in the right. That way I can still see far, yet able to read if I need to.

Took a bit to get used to, but now it's fine. Saves $$ on your refills, too.
    I'm to nearsighted to get away without correction in both eyes, but I do have different correction levels for the same reason. My dominant eye is corrected for better far vision, and my other eye is under-corrected to help with close-up work like reading. (You young guys will understand this in about 20 years...) Pretty common approach to vision correction, according to my optometrist (who is also a riding buddy).

All of you guys (and gals) riding without eye protection are nuts, btw. Helmet and eye protection...don't leave home without them.

Oh...for those of you secure enough to not need a $100+ logo on your eyewear, take a look at the selection of safety glasses at Home Depot. For $10-20, you'll find many styles that look very similar to much more expensive boutique brands. And when you are blowing by everybody on the road/trail, they won't have a chance to see the logo anyway.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

mtbr member
    Riding, Skiing, Scuba Diving, Sky Diving, never had a Problem.

RDI
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Unfortunately I have to wait till January to get any new correction because of a change in insurance.

I can only wear hard lenses because of the shape of my stigmatism; I've heard that hard lenses can be difficult to wear and take a lot of getting used to.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iRoNeTiK View Post

Now I got a pair of Oakley's that I love and the G30 lens is amazing!
    The only time I wear contacts is when I have to wear a full face helmet, which in my case would be for ice hockey. This past spring I switched to G30 lenses in my prescription riding sunglasses (used to have black ones, which were a pain if I went into tree cover).

Note that I have three pairs of prescription lenses: the ones I wear 99% of the time (non sunglasses), a dark pair of sunglasses for normal use / more fashion oriented (driving, bbqing etc...) and a dedicated pair of riding glasses.

My prescription hasn't changed in 5 years so it was easy. I did look at lasik, but my cornea was too thin and given that I'm 37, I would most likely need reading glasses in my 40s anyhow... not worth taking the chances (I have a coworker who after having lasik 5 yrs ago) must wear sunglasses when he goes outside.

ESE
    viewer discretion advised
    Dec 2005

just do it

Quote Originally Posted by IrieRider View Post
    I'm scared too, having elective eye surgery really is not appealing, but I know several people who have had it(one had it done 10+ years ago) and have 0 regrets. The idea of waking up and being able to see is such a strong selling point....

Best money I ever spent (and mine was not cheap). The technology is so good now that there's pretty much zero risk and it will change your entire life. Just use a good Doctor (why mine was a bit pricey, plus I was blind as a bat). I still wear biking glasses to keep the dust, mud and branches away but I can't believe I rode with contacts for so long.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Contacts of all types irritate the piss out of my eyes, even with preservative free solution, rewet drops, patenol drops, etc etc. I rarely wear them at all. Unfortunately I have a thin irregular cornea which makes LASIK more dangerous. I guess PRK is an option but is one eyes at a time and takes months to heal. Prescription sunglasses it is then!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2