mtbr member
    Sep 2015

any of you all into Mirrorless cameras?

i have a big vacation coming up. wife and i committed to a one good trip per year. time to pull up my big boy pants and buy a camera.

i actually have a BFA in photography, but that ship sailed for me and i sold all my very high end film cameras. the world just kinda evolved around me and left me in dust. (and i went 180 deg, and became a civil engineer - with badass photo skills)

while i can still take a great picture, the technology is daunting.

i am liking the FujiFilm X-e2s..kinda affordable and is reminiscently retro like my old Leica rangers..

i dont need anything flagship..making $$ from photos is not the thing anymore..just documenting epic trips. pulling up a iphone to snap a pic aint working for me..something is missing. makes everything a snapshot.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Moderator Moderator
    I looked at this a while ago, but not having a viewfinder killed it for me. Also, I have a big investment in Nikkor glass, don't want to start over!

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I'm still of the opinion that optics still matter most. For me, I'd buy for the lens, not the software.

Canon or Nikon for me.
    "The maturity of an 8 year-old boy coupled with the insecurity of a teen aged girl."

fc
    head minion Administrator
    I need a new one. I'm listening. I've had the Olympus OM-D forever and it's been good.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I'm still of the opinion that optics still matter most. For me, I'd buy for the lens, not the software.

Canon or Nikon for me.
    agree!! that Fujinon 23mm 1.4 lens looks great.. i shot exclusively with a Leica 28mm lens for years..so just a scooch tighter..
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I've been shooting with a Sony A6000 recently, and it's been a solid performer. Mirrorless has it's pluses and minuses. The whole thing packs down incredibly small if you don't mind taking the lens off, I can even fit the whole thing in a hip pack while riding. Sony did put a viewfinder on the A6000 which is nice for brighter conditions, though there is some disparity between the display's quality. The camera body isn't weatherproofed, but I've been abusing it as if it was. Last weekend I tested fate and rode through puddles while carrying it in an open hip pack (Henty). The thing got soaked in mud and quite wet but is still working, not saying that'll always be the case, but mine ain't broke yet. The A6000 has it's own quirks for shooting video, but since that's off subject I'll forgo going into that. The camera is also a few years old and relatively inexpensive at this point.

Of course mirrorless burns though batteries way way faster than DSLR since it's gotta keep the sensor/screen powered instead of just looking through viewfinder mirrors.

The last camera I had was quite old, a Canon 30D, and the tech has progressed like crazy since then. The new camera has face/eye detection, super fast autofocus, the ability to track subjects, and shoots 11 shots a second. Of course if you are already invested in other glass, then that'll probably define which body you go and get.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Buy a full frame and good glass -- with a BFA you'll easily see the difference compared to cropped sensors.

mtbr member
    a6000=== I am using the same camera (as are many many others). I bought used from ebay, and have 3 batteries. I have the stock lens which is rated excellent (there are tons of youtube comparison videos), yet am looking forward to buying a new/used lens

mtbr member
    +1 for the a6000. With the birth of my daughter last year, my wife and I decided we had to splurge on a nice camera to document those precious moments. I got the bundle that comes with the power zoom lens and am very impressed. Its very user friendly and easy to setup. Allows amateurs like me to get a 'professional' looking shot.

Moderator Moderator
    Fujifilm X100F I always hear good things about it. Sony A6500 too.

https://kenrockwell.com/fuji/x100f.htm

https://kenrockwell.com/sony/a6500.htm

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    I don't have a degree in photography and I haven't been following the technology for a few years but I know that Sony RX100 is an excellent camera. My goal was to never use the flash ever again; with the 1-inch sensor it's a thing of the past.

Ali

loopy counter
    Panasonic g85 is the best bang for the buck right now. Pros: Weather sealing, 4k recording, very good kit lens, excellent stabilization, good ergonomics, very fast autofocus (stills). I've printed great looking shots up to 16x20. Cons: Anything beyond iso 1600 you might want bigger gear, or faster lenses, although stabilization extends the usage. I've been able to steady shots up to a second. If you're shooting action in woods, get a used DSLR on the cheap, skip mirrorless for now.

I've never liked fuji because of software support, related to the non-bayer sensor. Sony, hmmm, I've had too many failures with their products, but I'll be watching the A7iii to see how that fairs. Canon (mostly) and Nikon are still on the bench for mirrorless. Olympus mirrorless did not offer viewfinders for so many iterations, so I never bothered with them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I dont know too much about mirrorless as I do mostly DSLR but dont by into a system that doesnt have a good selection of lenses to go with it. The body may be a good value and take great pictures but if you dont have a lens options it makes it useless.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Oh I forgot one very small, but very useful thing about the Sony A6000: The stock flash can be moved to point up (you will have to hold it that direction) and use the ceiling as a bounce. Like I said, a very small detail, but I've used it a whole lot in lower light situations since I detest direct hard flash.

Bumping to A6300, or A6500 gets you higher resolution video, and a mic input.

Moderator Moderator
    For me the big consideration would be the compact nature of the mirrorless vs dslr. I would want a mirrorless that is only marginally bigger than a cell phone and significantly smaller/lighter than a dlsr set up. If the body/lens of the mirrorless approaches the size of a dslr, I would carry a small dslr.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I still shoot with a Nikon 1 V2. Super compact and light. It's not a low light camera, but I mostly shoot mid day these days. And the 70-300 CX has huge reach for wildlife.

If you need low light capability, I think Sony makes some full frame mirrorless bodies. Not sure how small they are though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I dumped the DSLR for a micro-4/3 system Olymous OM-D a few years ago mainly for size reasons for backcountry skiing and biking - then supplemented that with the even smaller panasonic gm5 body It is crazy small especially with a compact zoom, and the electronic viewfinders are surprisingly good. I just find the whole holding camera or phone up a foot in front of your face kind of foreign. And the size of the lenses is pretty nice too - the equivalent of a 70-300mm lens easily fits in a pocket.
    I don't know if anything of the more recent mirrorless releases offer any significant advantges over the my few year old system (maybe increased low-light sensors), but I'm listening...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am a pretty serious amateur photographer with an extensive nikon kit...d850, d500, and lenses all the way out to 500mm. We also have a fuji x-t2 camera and a few of their great lenses, and while not inexpensive, I would highly recommend checking the great fuji system out. Yes there are always going to be some compromises between a 'big boy' camera and mirrorless, but the differences are shrinking all the time. Fuji stuff isn't cheap (neither is sony, the other leader in mirrorless), but imo it is well worth it. We take the fuji gear on trips where I don't want to lug all my nikon stuff around. Fuji images are beautiful, the gear is well made, and they have tons of lens options, all of which (I've used almost all of them) are good quality.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i have a Fuji Camera on the way.

what got me was the Fuji lens..the 23mm F1.4. i'll order that later. but that's my target lens, i think it will be perfect for my style of picture taking.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    i have a Fuji Camera on the way.

what got me was the Fuji lens..the 23mm F1.4. i'll order that later. but that's my target lens, i think it will be perfect for my style of picture taking.
    Which one did you order?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    the one mentioned in my first post..i just circled back around. i looked at a lot of cameras at the store..

it was staggering; the choices. in the end, i just enjoyed the retro vibe of the one i chose..fairly mid pack, and exiting model - so i got a price break.

i got tired of shopping..
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianjerkey View Post
    Oh I forgot one very small, but very useful thing about the Sony A6000: The stock flash can be moved to point up (you will have to hold it that direction) and use the ceiling as a bounce. Like I said, a very small detail, but I've used it a whole lot in lower light situations since I detest direct hard flash.

Bumping to A6300, or A6500 gets you higher resolution video, and a mic input.
    good info.

I'm in the market too. Being a camera newb, is there a general knowledge for the best places to buy? The typical online vs. local camera shops make a difference?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah View Post
    good info.

I'm in the market too. Being a camera newb, is there a general knowledge for the best places to buy? The typical online vs. local camera shops make a difference?
    I like B&H Photo and Video.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Moderator Moderator
    Check out this camera. Really interesting technology.

https://light.co/

L1MEY
    I just bought a Sony a7riii to replace my Canon 7D2. It's much smaller and lighter than the Canon, even more so when I use adapted legacy glass with it. The a7riii in combination with an old Minolta 50mm lens makes some beautiful images if you don't mind shooting manual (focus peaking makes it easy to get the manual lens in focus). Once you start putting zoom lenses on it the weight creeps up towards small crop DSLR numbers, but the image quality is phenomenal compared with something like a Rebel and kit lens. Sony is expensive though :/

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Ride like a girl!

loopy counter
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
    The a7riii in combination with an old Minolta 50mm lens makes some beautiful images if you don't mind shooting manual (focus peaking makes it easy to get the manual lens in focus).
    I think Fotodiox sells an adapter that can autofocus old manual lenses on a Sony. I too have an 50mm Minolta (f1.7), but I find manual focus hit or miss - even with peaking. Stopping down helps, but who wants to do that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Used to own a Fuji X100S mirrorless, predecessor model to the X100F listed above. Great camera that can help you take some really cool shots. I moved back to DSLR because the AF was too spotty for taking pictures of my kids or really anything in motion. It is a great travel camera, looks super cool, and is fun to use but the version I had couldn't hack it. Eventually went back to DSLR and got a D750 but after a few years of that collecting dust figured that the camera on me was the best camera so the iPhone X is all I use now.