mtbr member
    May 2005

Any very safe roads/ biketrails for injured riders?

So I had some pretty major shoulder surgery last week and am looking at a 9 week recovery to get back to normal. The doc says the sling can come off next week and while I am cleared to ride the trainer I'd like to find some place safe to ride. I could quite possibly kill myself if I have to ride the trainer for the next 2 months

I can hit the American River Bike trail but I have been taken out twice on that trail so I'm looking for some other options. Canal Roads, little used bike trails or roads, whatever. I can travel to the bay area if needed. The roads around here are too icy to be out on right now and there is no way I can put myself on the ground without major consequences.
    I'd like to get in around 50-75 miles and don't mind doing laps if needed. Boring is fine as long as I can be outside. The riding I do here in the foothills generally involves a decent amount of cars and very little shoulder, something I'd like to avoid.
    Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any very safe roads/ biketrails for injured riders?-imag1185-rs.jpg  

Only the curious have something to find.

http://wanderlustandtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com/

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Good job! Another Idea

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan View Post
    So I had some pretty major shoulder surgery last week and am looking at a 9 week recovery to get back to normal. The doc says the sling can come off next week and while I am cleared to ride the trainer I'd like to find some place safe to ride. I could quite possibly kill myself if I have to ride the trainer for the next 2 months

I can hit the American River Bike trail but I have been taken out twice on that trail so I'm looking for some other options. Canal Roads, little used bike trails or roads, whatever. I can travel to the bay area if needed. The roads around here are too icy to be out on right now and there is no way I can put myself on the ground without major consequences.
    I'd like to get in around 50-75 miles and don't mind doing laps if needed. Boring is fine as long as I can be outside. The riding I do here in the foothills generally involves a decent amount of cars and very little shoulder, something I'd like to avoid.
    Any ideas?
    Hi Sean,

I'm sorry to hear of your need for such major surgery and wish you a lightening quick recovery!

When I came back from my broken femur I found that working out at a club was the best solution. It allowed me to be safe, get a cross training based cardio / lifting workout and be with a supportive group of folks interested in their personal fitness.

Good Healing Vibes to you and I look forward to seeing you on the trails again!

Take care,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sean,

The American River bike trail isn't too bad this time of year, not a lot of families or road racers out yet. Also you can access the south folsom canal trail near Hazel and take it all the way to Sloughhouse, I believe. It's a very quite trail but you have to cross Sunrise along the way. I'm sure you're going to get a lot of great ideas. Good luck and stay safe!

Marty

Dropshot Champ!
    +1 for arbt. It's not very busy at all right now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What about the paved roads going up and down to the dam site?

mtbr member
    Add a generator to your trainer and challenge yourself to reduce your electric bill to zero!

Heal up quick, looking forward to some inspiring TR's from you this summer.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The Folsom South Canal is exactly what you described.

That said, the trainer might actually be less boring.

Cheesiest
    Yolo bypass? Hope you heal well. I might be looking at shoulder surgery at some point soon.
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtb'er
    Shoulder implant, huh? May your healing/rehab process be quicker than most, and not mind-numbing. I don't watch much TV, so my rehab of choice would be a recumbent bike at the gym, with a TV in front of me, and a remote control in one hand. A good time to catch up on the shows everyone seems to talk about. No stress on your shoulder, sweat like a pig, legs get the spinning they crave, and less boring if you get sucked into what you're watching on TV.

mtbr member
    In my experience shoulder take a long time to heal and get full mobility back ..I thought the same thing after my surguries but ended up being off the bike for about a year. It sucked but I just couldnt risk going through all that PT again because I wanted to rush to ride, and believe me I wanted too.

Put your trainer outside if you have too..

jrm
    mtbr member

When i lived

in colfax i used to ride the I-80 frontage roads between auburn and baxter. Pretty safe
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Come to Granite Bay and ride the roads in the state park. Its empty this time of year except on the well drained trails

mtbr member
    The Dan Freeman bike trail near Oroville is about 41 miles on mostly gravel road. You could camp at the Loafer Creek camp and ride an easy trail over to the Freeman trail for about 60 miles round trip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    +3 on the Folsom South Canal as it is free of traffic and obsticles. Another post mentioned the paved roads in the Granite Bay State Park. They are free of traffic (except the TBF duathlon this Sat).

Here's to a fast rehab and I agree....being stuck in the house is not good.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Wow, you look exactly how I looked 2 months ago. I had surgery on the same shoulder in November (Labrum repair). Doc said 4 months until full recovery and advised me to be really careful to not reinjure it in that time. I'm 2 months into the 4 months recovery and my shoulder feels great. Almost have full range of motion back, and my strength feels about 75%. I feel like I could easily MTB now, but my doc is recommending only road riding and running for now. I can't tell you what a difference it makes being able to get out and ride, even if its boring road riding... just getting out and turning peddles puts my mind and body in a much better state for recovery.

Out of curiosity, what kind of surgery did you have? Who was the surgeon? I went to Dr. Richard Marder in Sac -- he's supposed to be one of the best in the area.

Hope you have a smooth and fast recovery!

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar View Post
    In my experience shoulder take a long time to heal and get full mobility back ..I thought the same thing after my surguries but ended up being off the bike for about a year. It sucked but I just couldnt risk going through all that PT again because I wanted to rush to ride, and believe me I wanted too.

Put your trainer outside if you have too..
    Dude, sweet avatar. I have that Dirt rag poster on the wall of my kitchen. Love the artwork.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Haitian, err, hey, Sean.

Giving us a little time to catch up, eh? Fat chance!

After you get back on the mtb and have a few miles under your chamois, you might consider New Melones for a fairly easy ride to help you ease back in to the swing (pedal) of things.

Wherewolf has info on his site: Trail Maps

Good luck with the recovery.

Gary
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for all the recommendations! I know about most of the suggestions, I've only hit the ground twice on my road bike, both on the ARBT in the winter months. One dog leash across the trail and the wife cutting me off in a turn.....I have also done the canal and will likely hit that up here in the next week or so, I'm one week out right now.

Jeffsw. 70% rotator cuff tear with 5 stitches and a couple of posts, subacromial decompression(grind off some bone in the socket) and partial tear of the labrum. Not my first rodeo, this is my 4th major surgery on my shoulders, one done by Dr. Marder way back in the day with an Eric Heiden assist as he was in his residency at UC Davis.

For the geeks out there I am doing a power based trainer program that beats the hell out of watching videos. I have disc Powertap that fits my cross bike as well so it's a pretty neat deal. 250 different workouts to choose from on the laptop should keep me at least a little motivated until I can get out and ride for real. It's all ANT+ so no wires and you can do it anywhere, I plan on taking it out to the coast this weekend for a little distraction!

For those interested in such ridiculous things: Homepage - TrainerRoad

Once again thanks for all the replies!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any very safe roads/ biketrails for injured riders?-imag1193-rs.jpg  

Only the curious have something to find.

http://wanderlustandtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com/