Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    197

    Any "Must Rides" within an hour of the East Bay ?

    I'll be coming home to the east bay from the 20th to the 27th. Does anyone have any rides they recommend within an hour distance from the East Bay. I love a good climb, technical rocky rooty sections, and rolling single track.

    Edit: Would anyone like to meet up for a ride?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Carl Hungus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,589
    Where in the East Bay? Soquel Demonstration Forest might be an hour away depending on where you're at.

  3. #3
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,525

    Sure

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Im View Post
    I'll be coming home to the east bay from the 20th to the 27th. Does anyone have any rides they recommend within an hour distance from the East Bay. I love a good climb, technical rocky rooty sections, and rolling single track.

    Edit: Would anyone like to meet up for a ride?
    Rockville
    OatHill Mine
    Annadel
    China Camp
    Tamarancho
    Skeggs
    Demo

    Plus whatever the EastBay peeps know about EastBay stuff!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  4. #4
    Finally stateside again
    Reputation: mzorich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    636
    Rockville is the **** and even if it has rained a bit the dirt holds up very well.

  5. #5
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,149
    Skyline
    I don't rattle.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    197
    Thanks for all the input. Been to majority of the places listed above.

    If you could choose between Skeggs, Tamarancho, and China Camp, which would you choose?

  7. #7
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,149
    Skeggs
    I don't rattle.

  8. #8
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,525

    China Camp.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Im View Post
    Thanks for all the input. Been to majority of the places listed above.

    If you could choose between Skeggs, Tamarancho, and China Camp, which would you choose?
    With a local.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    935
    Kennedy

    (You didn't specify which part of the east bay )

  10. #10
    wg
    wg is offline
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Reputation: wg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,031
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Rockville
    OatHill Mine
    Annadel
    China Camp
    Tamarancho
    Skeggs
    Demo

    Plus whatever the EastBay peeps know about EastBay stuff!
    This.
    Plus Skyline as mentioned by Berkely Mike should cover you
    Don't harsh my mello

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grrrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,153
    Santa Cruz is actually closer than Demo. Both about an hour from Union City area without traffic. But JMac's list hits most of them

  12. #12
    Uncle
    Reputation: Entrenador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Im View Post
    If you could choose between Skeggs, Tamarancho, and China Camp, which would you choose?
    Depends on how much rain had fallen recently. I don't ride any of these three when it's been raining a bunch. I'd think that Skyline might hold up better after rain than the others you mentioned (more bedrock than soil). Hopefully a Skyline regular can clarify. Rockville does hold up well in the rain, but beware of the off-cambered rocks.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    197
    Ah Forgot to specify, by East Bay I'm in Berkeley

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: his dudeness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,888
    Las Trampas is a good place to explore and get lost. Can't exactly comment on specific trails due to them being a bit taboo though.

    But the climbing can hurt you. The descents are steep, fast, and very fun. All you have to do is climb a while and find something narrower than a fireroad.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Haus Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,397
    If you want technical, skeggs is meh for the most part.

    Fairfax by a long shot if you can get a local guide who can lead you to the real goods.

  16. #16
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,525

    Napa or SthBay Skyline?

    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    I'd think that Skyline might hold up better after rain than the others you mentioned (more bedrock than soil). Hopefully a Skyline regular can clarify. Rockville does hold up well in the rain, but beware of the off-cambered rocks.
    Parts of Napa Skyline get closed down after rain, seeing what's coming next few days, may be the case.

    The only definite place to recommend when wet is OatHill, but if what's coming comes, there will undoubtedly be white stuff up top of there I would think.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    95

    Winter rides

    Try Mt Tam - Eldridge to the top, scenic and rocky. Pine Mtn - steeper and rockier.
    Both are close to Berkeley.

  18. #18
    Finally stateside again
    Reputation: mzorich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    636
    skyline can get very iffy after a god few days of rain especially the lower sections in the valley. the higher trails should be alright. if it hasnt rained in a few days you should be fine

  19. #19
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,525

    Been riding there a couple times a week

    Quote Originally Posted by wg View Post
    This.
    Plus Skyline as mentioned by Berkely Mike should cover you
    Trying to keep it a secret.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  20. #20
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,525

    Eldridge yes

    Quote Originally Posted by R.E. View Post
    Try Mt Tam - Eldridge to the top, scenic and rocky. Pine Mtn - steeper and rockier.
    Both are close to Berkeley.
    Pine Mtn questionable. Most of the flat areas are pretty soupy silt right now from all the rain. Plus I'd say they're more challenging, then the technical features the OP was mentioning.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  21. #21
    Inspector Gadget
    Reputation: abeckstead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    The only definite place to recommend when wet is OatHill, but if what's coming comes, there will undoubtedly be white stuff up top of there I would think.
    Ice can be a concern... It was f'n cold up there yesterday! The good news is all the big cracks get filled in OHM in the snow though... I think that would be mtb'n master level.
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

  22. #22
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,525

    Ice?

    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    Ice can be a concern... It was f'n cold up there yesterday! The good news is all the big cracks get filled in OHM in the snow though... I think that would be mtb'n master level.
    You mean like this?:

    Anyone from TSP interested in Oat Hill Mine? - Mtbr Forums
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    197
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Looks like I was a bit premature bringing my mountain bike home without checking the weather. Raining on all the days I was planning to ride. Oh well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •