Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    56

    Any good trails near Donner lake?

    I go to Donner lake a couple of times every year, we'll be there the 4th of July week.

    I'd like to find some good trails nearby, haven't come across any yet, but haven't looked that hard either.

    My definition of a good trail: technical single track. I've ridden "Hole in the Ground" twice, it's just OK for me, not nearly technical enough. We'll be going to Northstar a couple of times, but it would be nice to find some nearby trails. Are there any? If so where?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,535

    Tech?

    Quote Originally Posted by simbot View Post
    I go to Donner lake a couple of times every year, we'll be there the 4th of July week.

    I'd like to find some good trails nearby, haven't come across any yet, but haven't looked that hard either.

    My definition of a good trail: technical single track. I've ridden "Hole in the Ground" twice, it's just OK for me, not nearly technical enough. We'll be going to Northstar a couple of times, but it would be nice to find some nearby trails. Are there any? If so where?

    Thanks
    Sounds like you should do a search on "Dirty Harry".
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    222
    When you say technical, are you looking for jumps/drops/features, or techy line selection type trail?

    When I need that techy ups/downs but not features humbling experience I go to Loch Leven/Cherry Point trail.
    Last edited by John Svahn; 06-11-2012 at 01:25 PM.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: redhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    229
    For the latter, it's not too far to Grouse.....

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    56
    What about East DH off of Wood Camp road? ends in Cold Stream valley

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by John Svahn View Post
    When you say technical, are you looking for jumps/drops/features, or techy line selection type trail?

    When I need that techy ups/downs but not features humbling experience I go to Loch Leven/Cherry Point trail.
    Thanks, where is Loch Leven? Googled it but can't seem to find it on a map.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
    For the latter, it's not too far to Grouse.....
    Thanks, but a little more detail please, where are these places???

  8. #8
    mtb'er
    Reputation: Empty_Beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,818
    Check out Palisade Creek trail near Soda Springs... and let me know how many trees are down



    Map: Royal Gorge / Palisade Creek Trail as a loop

    More pix: Royal Gorge(ous) adventure

    Grouse Ridge trail between Blue Lake Trail and Spaulding Lake Trail:


    Map: Blue Lake, Grouse Ridge, Spaulding Lake Trail Loop by vuduvgn

    more pix: Camping, hucking, fishing, hiking, farting, burping, & mt. biking in the TNF
    Last edited by Empty_Beer; 06-14-2012 at 09:05 AM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    222
    Simbot,
    Call the Truckee Donner Land Trust or swing on by when you are here. I'll show you on a map. LL/Cherry Point is out of Big Bend, West of Donner Summit. If you have ever been to Rainbow Lodge it starts next to it. It is a USFS trail and shows up on their maps. It got logged pretty good a few years back and I have not been on it lately, but it used to be super techy.
    John s

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    136
    Empty Beer,

    Judging by the formations in that photo, I might have a rough idea of where it is.

  11. #11
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,526
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Sounds like you should do a search on "Dirty Harry".
    and lloyds.

    there are alot of options, I'd suggest dropping into a local bike shop and asking

  12. #12
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,535

    Description

    Quote Originally Posted by simbot View Post
    What about East DH off of Wood Camp road? ends in Cold Stream valley
    You gonna hone in on what kind of trail tech you're looking for?.....
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  13. #13
    wretch
    Reputation: Truckee Trash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,693
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Sounds like you should do a search on "Dirty Harry".
    Or we don't direct people to go out and "look" for trails like that. Not trying to be that guy - but when it comes to that -system I've got no problem.

  14. #14
    wretch
    Reputation: Truckee Trash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,693
    edited to remove pic

    Tisk tisk with the photo! Truckee Trash Trail Police!
    Last edited by Truckee Trash; 06-14-2012 at 10:42 AM.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: craigstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,326
    I will second the trail police action. Why do you Norcal peeps come up to our backyard and post pictures, names, & general locations of things you know you arent supposed to? I imagine that there are Strava segments, Garmin Connect files, and Facebook vids of all this stuff too? Thats how trails get shut down, you guys should know all about it, all your Norcal trails get closed because nobody can keep a secret. I know the negative reps are going to swarm all over me now but I really dont care anymore, let em fly!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    56
    JMac, prefer features, jumps, berms etc. But it's all good, don't really enjoy miles of rock garden, but a little is good, love more open grantie slabs and such. Would love to know where the ladder section is pictured above, but don't really expect to find out given the "secret" code of silence. It's unfortunate we do not feel like we can share cool trails with each other. I think we should stick togther, share the goodness, rather then create secret clubs. I understand there are idiots who spoil it for all. We need some method of determining who is worthy and who isn't.

    Thanks for the details Empty Beer.

    I understand wanting to keep specific details out of the public eye, but there is always the PM option. I've used that method to clue people in on the good stuff around here, if they seem worthy.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    222
    The Animal is fun if you like small hits with super-fun berms. However a friend told me it is a little roosted at the moment.

  18. #18
    Rubber side down
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    I will second the trail police action. Why do you Norcal peeps come up to our backyard and post pictures, names, & general locations of things you know you arent supposed to? I imagine that there are Strava segments, Garmin Connect files, and Facebook vids of all this stuff too? Thats how trails get shut down, you guys should know all about it, all your Norcal trails get closed because nobody can keep a secret. I know the negative reps are going to swarm all over me now but I really dont care anymore, let em fly!
    Im supporting you on this one. Let'em ***** and complain.
    It's the internet! Really. This is not the place to post this &hit. Just except the fact that if you don't know someone who trusts you and/or you don't live here, your out of the loop.
    Sorry. I wouldn't expect to get the info here about your town. I love all you guys and gals that ride and have a passion for this sport. Im sure their are some out their that can be trusted but it ain't happening here. There are plenty of other cool trials to ride.
    Jack Tupp

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    104
    I agree with the last two posters. I see this all the time (especially here in the Bay) and I think it's mostly people trying to be one of the "cool kids" by posting about something that will show everybody how "in the know" they are. I can't see any other reason why you would want to share knowledge in a public forum that would make non-visible things visible...

    In full disclosure, I'll fully admit that I've definitely benefited from this public sharing of knowledge and I probably pass on this knowledge to people I know; but rather than blather about it on the internet, I actually show them in person. Which is probably no better overall but at least it's not documented for everybody to find.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •